Author Topic: [IC] Cajal: A 45% Keyboard - SOLD OUT IN 3 MINUTES  (Read 117678 times)

Offline orim23

Re: [IC] Cajal: A 45% Keyboard - Renders Up!
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 00:22:25 »
+1 for full alpha

Offline noorejji

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 01:56:13 »
Wow, very unique board. Full alphas would be interesting, but I understand if it would be too much of a design change to implement here. In any case I'll be waiting warmly for your future designs.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to assemble this board without the diffuser? Any ortho renders inc?

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 10:37:58 »
I understand if it would be too much of a design change to implement here

unfortunately i think it is, and since we are at 759 responses to the IC form as of this moment, i am not eager to alter a design that has received such an overwhelmingly warm response. like i said in an earlier response, if you're someone with whom full alphas are a dealbreaker, the 50% i will release after this should fit your preferences better. the goal of the Cajal project was to produce a premium 45%, and i feel i have achieved that goal.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to assemble this board without the diffuser? Any ortho renders inc?

because the diffuser is part of the usb-c hole, it might compress the connector if you omit it, but i can check this when the prototypes arrive and perhaps alter the design slightly to accommodate it. no ortho renders at the moment, but i should complete the ortho plate design this weekend, submit for prototypes early next week, and get some renders ready in a week or two :)

Offline consumer

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 17:55:50 »
I understand if it would be too much of a design change to implement here

unfortunately i think it is, and since we are at 759 responses to the IC form as of this moment, i am not eager to alter a design that has received such an overwhelmingly warm response. like i said in an earlier response, if you're someone with whom full alphas are a dealbreaker, the 50% i will release after this should fit your preferences better. the goal of the Cajal project was to produce a premium 45%, and i feel i have achieved that goal.

because the diffuser is part of the usb-c hole, it might compress the connector if you omit it, but i can check this when the prototypes arrive and perhaps alter the design slightly to accommodate it. no ortho renders at the moment, but i should complete the ortho plate design this weekend, submit for prototypes early next week, and get some renders ready in a week or two :)

+1 buy for ortho layout
heck, will also get if full alpha in the next round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline modeseven

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 19:59:43 »
Only one person, I filled out the IC, but knowing that there will be a full alpha version, I think that’s what I am gonna go for. The wait will be painful.

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 22:00:15 »

@walletburner Do you have Discord or mailing list?

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 11:49:22 »
@walletburner Do you have Discord or mailing list?

not at the moment, but i might send a reminder email to those who have filled out the IC when the full GB opens. i am also building a website to facilitate sales of the Neuron GB extras and coordinate the Cajal GB, as well as put up other resources such as QMK libraries, layouts and general info. so with that might come a discord, we will see.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 19:22:03 »
Color me interested. A few questions:

• From a guy who has only known 100% and 65% keyboards, how hard is it to adjust to a 45%?
  • Are you considering other colors for this? Purple would be amaaaazing
  • For a new keeb enthusiast, can you list the unorthodox keycap sizes and row placements in the KLE layout? e.g. that R2 1.75u(?) Enter

Thanks! I will be watching this GB.

Offline nyankoclaws

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 20:21:28 »
Omg love the design soo much. Just wondering would you be able to do a rose gold version?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 23:14:27 »
I can say from experience that a 45% is a good transition from a full size or 60% to a small form factor, probably my favorite layout for straight typing actually.

It uses the typical 40s caps, 1.25 R3 tab, 1.75 R3 enter, 1u R2 esc, 1.75 and 1.25 R4 shifts, 2.25 and 2.75 split space bars, other keys are normal.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2019, 10:55:14 by worldspawn »
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 01:18:08 »
100% in on this

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Delo

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 03:14:41 »
I did't think I would be interested in a 45% but this got me thinking

Offline sharkz_vaderz

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 06:17:31 »
i'm a knob guy.So, l'm in!!!

Offline LXYN

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 10:57:03 »
Very nice! Only Hotswap PCB available? I want a soldered PCB.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 11:00:24 »
That baby**** green colorway is an instant cop

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 11:44:00 »
E white or Rose gold and I’m in. Better yet, E-white and PVD rose gold on a brass knob. I would buy like 5.

Offline delet_d

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 14:02:46 »

+1 to soldered pcb

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 18:50:27 »
rose gold version?

E white or Rose gold and I’m in. Better yet, E-white and PVD rose gold on a brass knob.
hmm not bad ideas :D ill see what i can do

+1 to soldered pcb

i can look into this as well. i want to prioritize offering a hotswap PCB in the GB so it is accessible to new people in the hobby, but a solderable PCB is definitely a possibility.

Offline nyankoclaws

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 21:48:34 »
rose gold version?

E white or Rose gold and I’m in. Better yet, E-white and PVD rose gold on a brass knob.
hmm not bad ideas :D ill see what i can do
Omg thank you :D Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 02:04:47 »
Not sure how different sandblasted brass and champagne gold are, but a champagne gold would be a nice color. For either the knob or case. I'm pretty set on the blue, but a champagne gold would make me reconsider.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 22:06:33 »
i forgot to ask for it in the IC i filled out but can we get an all 1u ortho layout or can it only support a 2u spacebar?

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 18:19:51 »
How does the gasket + stoppers system work?

4.4 lbs though

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 21:53:43 »
i forgot to ask for it in the IC i filled out but can we get an all 1u ortho layout or can it only support a 2u spacebar?

It can do full grid, 2u bar, and 7u bar according to the KLE he posted earlier in the thread.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 22:12:12 »
Per the usual i cannot read. I looked right at that photo and didn’t see the full grid support. Thanks for the reply

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 22:26:16 »
hey! i see there is a clamoring in the thread for "full alphas" (i.e. another column to the right of ;/:). while i hear what you are saying, this probably won't happen with this project, for the following two reasons. first, the demand for this in the interest check form is quite low. 744 people have filled out the form so far (insane), and only 7 have requested something along these lines. to scale this interest, 11 people have requested I make a 65% and 14 have requested a 60% in the form. this means democratically, it isn't something most people interested in the board want added, and pales in comparison to requests for ortholinear support (~60) and a polycarbonate case option (~50), both of which i am working on adding to the final buy. second, i am planning to roll out a 50% or larger layout after i run this board, so i think that might be more interest for those who think of 'incomplete alphas' as a no-go. there is still a lot to explore in ~50% layouts, and i have some ideas i want to try after Neuron and Cajal, so my advice is just stay tuned and u shouldn't have to wait more than a few months for something that would match your preferences without compromise.

have a polycarbonate render for your time. <3
(Attachment Link)

First thank you for listening carefully to what folks say.
I believe 45% size is more concentrated on pure typing experience and I believe full alpha will serve the purpose even better.
I didn't show the interest explicitly assuming dimension involved changing at this stage is hard and I think there could be many people who thought like me.
But if you are OK with the change if there is enough interest, I'm in for full alpha.
I believe you may see different result if you have another IC form to choose between full alpha and traditional 45% layout.
I guess asking for 60, 65% is more like asking blue out of red while 45% full alpha is orange.
I would wait for your next project for larger size keyboard.

What is the point of having a board the size of a sixty but less functional, just for the sake of how it looks. One more time, to each its own.

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 22:52:26 »
hey! i see there is a clamoring in the thread for "full alphas" (i.e. another column to the right of ;/:). while i hear what you are saying, this probably won't happen with this project, for the following two reasons. first, the demand for this in the interest check form is quite low. 744 people have filled out the form so far (insane), and only 7 have requested something along these lines. to scale this interest, 11 people have requested I make a 65% and 14 have requested a 60% in the form. this means democratically, it isn't something most people interested in the board want added, and pales in comparison to requests for ortholinear support (~60) and a polycarbonate case option (~50), both of which i am working on adding to the final buy. second, i am planning to roll out a 50% or larger layout after i run this board, so i think that might be more interest for those who think of 'incomplete alphas' as a no-go. there is still a lot to explore in ~50% layouts, and i have some ideas i want to try after Neuron and Cajal, so my advice is just stay tuned and u shouldn't have to wait more than a few months for something that would match your preferences without compromise.

have a polycarbonate render for your time. <3
(Attachment Link)

First thank you for listening carefully to what folks say.
I believe 45% size is more concentrated on pure typing experience and I believe full alpha will serve the purpose even better.
I didn't show the interest explicitly assuming dimension involved changing at this stage is hard and I think there could be many people who thought like me.
But if you are OK with the change if there is enough interest, I'm in for full alpha.
I believe you may see different result if you have another IC form to choose between full alpha and traditional 45% layout.
I guess asking for 60, 65% is more like asking blue out of red while 45% full alpha is orange.
I would wait for your next project for larger size keyboard.

What is the point of having a board the size of a sixty but less functional, just for the sake of how it looks. One more time, to each its own.

Show Image

Not sure if adding one extra key for each row here makes the size of 60. Should be the width of 65 minus 1 row just like 65 is the with of 75 minus 1 row.
If you consider losing number row from 65 is losing function, I don't agree because we will not lose any function just like we don't lose any function from 75 when down-sizing to 65.
I didn't know existence of 50% concept so technically asked him to change 45% to 50 or 55% and then realized there will another 50ish project from walletburner then stopped asking waiting for the project.
I wish his next version has 65% minus # row, all the features that Kajal has + BT and HotSwap PCB.
I'm definitely in for that project.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:16:49 »
Not sure how different sandblasted brass and champagne gold are, but a champagne gold would be a nice color. For either the knob or case. I'm pretty set on the blue, but a champagne gold would make me reconsider.

when i think "champagne gold", i think of basically the color that sandblasted brass is. i would probably only do one or the other, leaning towards brass because it might feel better because of its mass.

4.4 lbs though

basically the plate is sandwiched between adhesive-backed nitrile strips, then attached to the case via a screw that goes through a hole in the trapezoidal stoppers through a slit in the plate to attach it to the case. it isn't a design style that has been tried yet (to my knowledge), but i think it will allow people to adjust their gasket tension to their preferences. i will take pictures when the prototypes arrive :)

I wish his next version has 65% minus # row, all the features that Cajal has + BT and HotSwap PCB.

it's a pretty long ways out. i am about to ship Neuron, then i will focus on Cajal, then ??. but i have some preliminary designs for a 50% that i will share here on GH when the timing is right..

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:45:15 »

when i think "champagne gold", i think of basically the color that sandblasted brass is. i would probably only do one or the other, leaning towards brass because it might feel better because of its mass.

4.4 lbs though

basically the plate is sandwiched between adhesive-backed nitrile strips, then attached to the case via a screw that goes through a hole in the trapezoidal stoppers through a slit in the plate to attach it to the case. it isn't a design style that has been tried yet (to my knowledge), but i think it will allow people to adjust their gasket tension to their preferences. i will take pictures when the prototypes arrive :)

I wish his next version has 65% minus # row, all the features that Cajal has + BT and HotSwap PCB.

it's a pretty long ways out. i am about to ship Neuron, then i will focus on Cajal, then ??. but i have some preliminary designs for a 50% that i will share here on GH when the timing is right..

I fully understand the nature of GB. Good luck with the GB and keep us posted on your next projects. Kajal looks pretty stunning still. I will likely regret I miss this GB but can’t afford another board that is pretty but I rarely use, for now :)

Offline delet_d

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:50:41 »

Waiting for that 50%!  :thumb:

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 09:41:01 »
Any news on the Ortho version/plate/pcb? It was the first thing I put into the IC, to later realize that you had put a layout on the actual thread for Ortho haha.

If it is possible, I'd ignore another GB I was setting my wallet up for in order to go for this instead.  :cool: :))

Viva la Ortho-resistance

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 10:21:07 »
Any news on the Ortho version/plate/pcb?

Absolutely.

234222-0

Work on an ortho PCB is ongoing, but the ortho plate was designed over the holidays. Considering brass and POM as possible ortho plate materials. Will support 1u x 2, 2u, and 7u spacebar, with the 7u meaning it needs to be a solderable PCB not hotswap. Unlike Neuron, I am thinking I will just make the ortho plate and PCB available for the same price than as an add-on item, so people who want the Cajal in ortho configuration order won't need to spend more.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 10:54:46 »

Absolutely.

(Attachment Link)

Work on an ortho PCB is ongoing, but the ortho plate was designed over the holidays. Considering brass and POM as possible ortho plate materials. Will support 1u x 2, 2u, and 7u spacebar, with the 7u meaning it needs to be a solderable PCB not hotswap. Unlike Neuron, I am thinking I will just make the ortho plate and PCB available for the same price than as an add-on item, so people who want the Cajal in ortho configuration order won't need to spend more.
I guess there's no chance of a PCB that supports both normal stagger and ortho, huh?
I'm that weirdo who wants the combination of ortho alpha and normal mods :)
Anyway this lookds great. Hope it will be out soon.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 10:56:50 »

Absolutely.

(Attachment Link)

I guess there's no chance of a PCB that supports both normal stagger and ortho, huh?

definitely not; i really hate swiss cheese PCBs and it's also impossible with the staggered hotswap sockets.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 13:50:58 »
@ideus

It is my understanding based on the other boards this creator has done and uses that this is NOT a 65% that has had functionality removed to be replaced by "art". I guess that is what you meant by the screenshot of the Venus de Milo. I believe this board is a 40% that has been expanded to include a little more functionality than a typical 40 would have, including some "art". Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your argument is based on a perspective that a line should be drawn for keyboards based on the physical size as much as the number of keys in an attempt to conserve precious space. Something we all value in MK, I think. But I believe this board is an attempt to be a larger 40% (45%) rather than smaller 60/65% board, to strike a balance between form and function that is unique.

I think I understand your perspective and I don't disagree with it. If I were interested in this board but really wanted it to be 60/65% I would feel just as you do. In fact I have felt that way before. However, as someone who has always looked at a 40% and felt there was always something missing from the layout, I look at this board as the perfect balance between design and use. I can get all the functionality I truly need and the design is pleasing as well. Thank you, ideus, for giving me something interesting to think about, happy to read your reply if you write.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2020, 13:53:21 by klaygor »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 14:34:31 »
@ideus

It is my understanding based on the other boards this creator has done and uses that this is NOT a 65% that has had functionality removed to be replaced by "art". I guess that is what you meant by the screenshot of the Venus de Milo. I believe this board is a 40% that has been expanded to include a little more functionality than a typical 40 would have, including some "art". Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your argument is based on a perspective that a line should be drawn for keyboards based on the physical size as much as the number of keys in an attempt to conserve precious space. Something we all value in MK, I think. But I believe this board is an attempt to be a larger 40% (45%) rather than smaller 60/65% board, to strike a balance between form and function that is unique.

I think I understand your perspective and I don't disagree with it. If I were interested in this board but really wanted it to be 60/65% I would feel just as you do. In fact I have felt that way before. However, as someone who has always looked at a 40% and felt there was always something missing from the layout, I look at this board as the perfect balance between design and use. I can get all the functionality I truly need and the design is pleasing as well. Thank you, ideus, for giving me something interesting to think about, happy to read your reply if you write.

I regret my post, so I apologize with the OP for tread-crapping his IC. The board is beautiful and for people that like the format is a great opportunity to get one of the best 40 designs available. I am typing this on a 50 percent board that I like; yet, I think that it is a bit frustrating at times, when a shifted function is needed frequently. Anyways, I hope this IC gets successful.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 14:45:37 »
weird vibes in here. clearing it out with renders.
234229-0
234231-1

Offline psxndc

[IC] Cajal: A 45% Keyboard - Renders Up!
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 14:58:17 »

The thing is, PCB layouts are always a sensitive topic, since you're essentially asking everyone to pay more to support YOUR configuration and not theirs. Ortho alphas with normal mods would a very niche keyboard.

I hope you understand what you are really asking of OP *and* everyone here.

This is said in jest by the way. Just pointing out what's been raised in other threads.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:13:14 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline Sedula

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:04:19 »

The thing is, PCB layouts are always a sensitive topic, since you're essentially asking everyone to pay more to support YOUR configuration and not theirs.

Ortho alphas with normal mods would a very niche keyboard.

Grabbing popcorn for this mild drama.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:09:55 »

The thing is, PCB layouts are always a sensitive topic, since you're essentially asking everyone to pay more to support YOUR configuration and not theirs.

This is said in jest by the way. Just pointing out what's been raised in other threads.

@nguyenhimself

I definitely understand wanting non standard options on a board or a keyset. None of my desires for layouts are 100% compatible with anything I've seen so far so I have to use blanks and such. People always suggest to me that I should try to get my own IC started to create just the perfect board or keyset that I would want and see if everyone else is just as interested enough to make it a GB. I may do it one day. Sounds like work though, ROFL.

I totally get what @psxndc is saying too. MK is kinda already niche as it is right, so listening to what the majority of the community wants is vital to be successful.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:14:49 by klaygor »

Offline psxndc

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:14:47 »

Grabbing popcorn for this mild drama.

Ferrealz. I just thought it was a funny ask given "the mild drama." I edited my post to make it clearer I meant it in jest.
Ortho. Always.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:17:13 »
Yeah i didn't understand that though, that link goes to another GH thread? Was he talking about this thread or the other thread?

Offline klaygor

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:24:40 »
@ideus

I regret my post, so I apologize with the OP for tread-crapping his IC. The board is beautiful and for people that like the format is a great opportunity to get one of the best 40 designs available. I am typing this on a 50 percent board that I like; yet, I think that it is a bit frustrating at times, when a shifted function is needed frequently. Anyways, I hope this IC gets successful.

Hey man I had no intention of making you regret anything. I totally feel that pain of seeing something I really like but not being able to get on board because of one design choice or another. We are all looking for that endgame right? :) You just got me thinking man, no hard feelings.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:30:55 »
Yeah i didn't understand that though, that link goes to another GH thread? Was he talking about this thread or the other thread?

In another IC, Ngyuen and I had a contentious back and forth because I asked the runner to add a key for Minivan support (where minivan was one of the renders). Ngyuen said I was placing a burden on the community by forcing those without minivans to pay for my one minivan key. Then they asked OP here to support ortho alphas and normal mods on the PCB - literally changing the PCB design. I just thought it was a funny/surprising ask here given their stance on adding a single keycap in another IC, so I quoted their own post back to them as a joke.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2020, 15:36:10 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline klaygor

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 16:03:00 »

In another IC, Ngyuen and I had a contentious back and forth because I asked the runner to add a key for Minivan support (where minivan was one of the renders). Ngyuen said I was placing a burden on the community by forcing those without minivans to pay for my one minivan key. Then they asked OP here to support ortho alphas and normal mods on the PCB - literally changing the PCB design. I just thought it was a funny/surprising ask here given their stance on adding a single keycap in another IC, so I quoted their own post back to them as a joke.

Ah, I've waded into something I didn't intend lol. Yeah we all say things. He did say he regrets it. We all want that perfect board so it makes sense to at least ask the questions and sometimes it is easy to miss the forest for the trees.

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 16:52:32 »
Here's another +1 for interest in full alphas. This board looks gorgeous, and I don't have anything with a bigass knob on it yet, but I find myself using the right-most alphas in my work too often to want to layer them on something so premium.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:34:13 »

Eh that was just a long shot.
No big deal.
Will def buy one for the ortho layout.
Let’s not give this IC a weird vibe.
It’s a great board.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:54:47 »
I was just joking. No weird vibes here.

Love the ortho Cajal.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 06:23:58 »
Gotta say, once I heard this thing was coming in Ortho, my interest doubled. For some reason these smaller layouts just scream Ortho to me. I'm back on board!

Just as a random crazy aside, I wonder what it would look like with choc low profile keys...hmmm

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 07:28:40 »
Full alphas, even if it is ortho - joking aside - may give this IC a better outlook.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 09:25:25 »
Full alphas, even if it is ortho - joking aside - may give this IC a better outlook.

actually the board has received an extremely warm response, with >1200 IC form responses in under 2 months, and 3 prototypes are currently under production. the layout is not changing at this point. if you want a 50%, I guess you'll have to either buy a TMO50 or wait for my next project. i hope you find what you're looking for.