Author Topic: [IC] TENET 70% Keyboard Kit with OLED Screen | GB coming up on 06/20  (Read 108910 times)

Offline ClickClack.io

• Find us on clickclack.io
    • clickclack.io

Metakey TENET Groupbuy Post Live

TENET(70%)
Designed by oy2r of Metakey

Index

- Prologue
- External Design
- Internal Design
- Transformable Layout
- PCB Software and OLED Interface
- Colorways
- Specification
- Product Photos
- Credits
- Q&A
- IC Forms & Discord Groups

Prologue

Looking back at the project, it has been over a year since we started it. How do we give the design a sharp and defined personality? What would make a keyboard "unique"? To what extent can we consider a design as complete? Time and again, we've hit a wall and climbed over it, and with that inertia, we have pushed hard past the narrow doors to seek our answers.

External Design

▲ 0.5u Bezel Size: 0.5u (9.525mm, 3/8") bezel is half of the keycap width. Provides a very good balance between the bezel and key area. The front look of the bezels is not too thin, which allows the color of the case to complement the keycaps and reduces how thick the keyboard appears, eliminating a sense of "heaviness". In practice, the bezel isn't so wide as to affect the typing experience, and there is no change of the edge touching the palm of your hand while you are typing on it.

▲ 18mm front height: The thinner chin makes the keyboard not only aesthetically cleaner, but also makes extended typing experiences more comfortable.

▲ Full Symmetrical Weight Design: The mounting of the bottom weight to the lower case has been designed to be horizontally symmetrical. This allows the keyboard to be built in both regular and southpaw layouts.

▲ Large brass weights: Optimizes the typing feel and sound as well as enhancing the overall atmosphere of the board. The brass surface on the main bottom weight is sandblasted and coated to maximize the brass's sandblasted texture as well as prevent oxidation. The other bottom weight with the USB port outlet is sandblasted and plated with 24K gold, two processes that together create a unique and beautiful texture.

▲ Centered USB-C port Design: The centered USB-C port design allows the ability to let users swap to their desired layout, and the centered USB port offers a lot of convenience. The separate USB-C daughterboard design allows for easy replacement in the event of damage, enhancing the maintainability of the board. The USB port outlet weight is sandblasted and plated with 24K gold, two processes that together create a unique and beautiful texture.

▲ 256 x 32 pixel Customizable OLED Monochrome Screen: The screen is sized to fit perfectly above the directional key area, and after many tests and redesigns, this is the largest size for a screen that can fit this keyboard without widening the bezel of the board. Second highest resolution used on a custom keyboard (the board with the current highest resolution is Mountain by Equalz, which utilizes a 256 x 64 pixel screen). The screen interface and keyboard drivers were designed collaboratively with HEXCORE, the team that designed the Anne Pro keyboards, which are well known globally. There are 6 different screen modes available (c.f. below), and additional modes can be added via drivers later.

▲ Separate CapsLock indicator and screen status indicators: More intuitive feedback on the keyboard status and ability to customize the RGB will be available via HEXCORE Software.

Internal Design

▲ Fully-isolated Gasket Mount: The keyboard's interior is held by gaskets vertically on the inside of the upper and lower case, with additional foam on the inner wall of the upper case to hold the interior in place in all horizontal directions as well, further isolating the contact between interior and case.

The interior comes into contact with the soft impact-absorbing foam gaskets. The foam used to fix the plate vertically is made of Japanese Inoue 20A durometer poron, and the horizontal-fixing foam is made of 50A durometer poron.

▲ Split PCB Design: As everyone knows, the asymmetry between the left and right zones of the 80% layout can make it difficult to achieve a balanced feel with the keyboard, and many designs use a single PCB with spacing in the PCB between the main and directional key areas to divide the plate between the two areas where possible. Other keyboards adopt a similar idea, but fully dividing the inner structure to provide a better feel. The separate PCBs and plates for the different sections is key to the TENET70, optimizing feel and sound uniformity while also giving the keyboard the ability to switch between regular and southpaw layouts.

└ 1.2mm PCB: The thinner PCB gives a better feel and flexibility. The PCB was designed and developed by the Anne Pro team, which not only provides exclusive drivers to handle keymapping, macros, software updates and support, but also develops original OLED screen drivers for the TENET70 keyboard, and allows for automatic recognition of both [Regular and Southpaw] layouts (c.f. below).

▲ The plate: The initial plan was to use a brass plate and design a leaf spring mount, but after multiple prototypes and comparisons between them, the best plate material to use was decided to be PC (other material TBD), a material whose flexibility is unmatched by using a metal material. With a matte finish, the PC plate has an improved resistance to scratches and more texture.

▲ Custom silicone pad for plate foam: The custom 30A durometer silicone pad gives a fuller feel to the keys than the poron foam, although the cost is higher. The pad is easier to assemble for the user, with a more coherent and nicer-looking color. In contrast to the 2D knife-cut poron, the 3D injection molded silicone pad fits better around the switches, especially the longer keys, wrapping snugly around the sides of the stabilizers. Poron stabilizer shims will also be provided.

└ 1mm Case Foam: The 1mm thick 20A durometer Japanese Inoue poron is used again here as case foam, which fills the gap between the case and PCB, reducing the hollowness of the case as well as the resonance, as well as providing some protection from the PCB bending too much and coming into contact with the bottom case and shorting out. In order to achieve a front height of 18mm, we contacted the PCB suppliers if it was possible to reduce the distance between the PCB and the lower case as much as possible without affecting ordinary use, thus creating a slimmer aesthetic look to the case, as well as reducing excessive PCB flex, which should allow the user to enjoy hotswappability with less worry about snapping the PCB. Due to the special weighting and design concept of the cable outlet, the kit comes with a foam pad above the USB-C daughterboard to further fill out any empty space and eliminate hollow case sounds.

Transformable Layout

▲ One keyboard with two layout configurations: You can quickly switch to match your desire. The completely horizontally symmetrical design of the mounting mechanism for the bottom weight to the lower case mentioned earlier, as well as the split-PCB design for the different areas, allow for a more harmonious appearance and a better typing experience.

It also serves another unique purpose: to allow transformable layout configurations. The ability to switch between a Regular (directional key section to the right of the main keys) to a Southpaw (arrow keys to the left) layout. The trouble with 80% layouts with the isolated arrow and macro key section, while clean and more straightforward to use, inadvertently steals from the mouse's effective area of movement. In order to give the mouse more space, the southpaw layout was designed with this in mind. Rather than being torn between the tradeoffs between each layout, the TENET70 allows you to use both. To switch between the two layout configurations after assembly, all the user has to do is to undo the screws holding the upper and lower cases together, disconnect the cables between the PCBs, and switch the different area PCBs around, disconnect the bottom weight from the lower case, then rotate the upper and lower case by 180° and reassembling the keyboard as such. Although slightly tedious, the whole switching process doesn't damage the keyboard and can theoretically be switched as many times as desired without affecting lifespan.

▲ Hotswappable: Supports both regular and stepped caps lock key

▲ Solderable: Supports ISO, Split Backspace and Split Shift.

PCB Software and OLED Interface

TENET PCB Firmware, Driver and Management Software are designed collaboratively with HEXCORE, the team that designed the Anne Pro keyboards.

▲ HEXCORE ObinsKit Software, you can achieve more than what QMK+VIA can do:
└ All OS Support: Windows, MacOS, Linux
└ Modify Keys and layers
└ OLED Screen Customization
└ RGB Customization
└ Marco

▲ Dashboard: The UI in overview mode was originally designed to give the user a summary of a mix of elements. This provides you with time, date, day of the week, upper/lowercase status, typing speed, keymap layer, and a real-time keymap!

▲ Type mode: In my opinion, the most interactive and fun of all the interface modes. The purpose of this mode is to enhance the most basic function of the keyboard, namely typing. This provides the user's kpm, a realtime line graph of the user's kpm over the last 60 seconds, a kpm speedometer inspired by motorbike tachometers, and an input counter. Keep your keyboard screen a visual representation of your typing speeds at all times, so you can relax, calm your mind and regain confidence after your next creative inspiration block.

▲ Monitor mode: How can you make the keyboard enhance the experience of using your computer? In monitor mode, the OLED screen provides real-time visual feedback about the temperatures of various components of your computer.

▲ Metakey Metakey is the name of our custom keyboard studio, founded in September of 2020. The word meta has the meaning of primary, first and most fundamental. The name was adopted because we considered the design of the keyboard itself the most important thing to our studio.

▲ Clock mode: The clock mode is one of my personal favorites and the one I have used the longest, on my own keyboard. A simple four digits to calibrate my own inaccurate perception of time.

▲ Custom Logo mode: With the PC-side software, any image set will be converted to a monochrome 256 x 32 pixel black and white image, then synced to the keyboard's screen. (PC-side driver created by the HEXCORE team.)

▲ Custom Text mode: Customize any text and display it on the screen with the PC-side software. (Supports multiple alignment methods, as well as dynamic scrolling.)

Colorways

Please note colorways below are not final and may change during GB. Weight and Case color combination are for illustration purpose.

▼ Anodized Black with Sandblasted Brass Weight

▼ Anodized Navy with Sandblasted Brass Weight

▼ Electrophoresis Warm White with Sandblasted Brass Weight

▼ Coating Pink with Black Alu Weight

▼ Coating Red with Black Alu Weight

▼ Anodized Light Green with White Alu Weight

▼ Anodized Black with Black Alu Weight

▼ Anodized Navy with White Alu Weight

▼ Electrophoresis Gold with Black Alu Weight

▼ Electrophoresis Warm White with White Alu Weight

Specification

► Dimensions: 374 x 115 x 30mm
► Materials:
- Full Aluminum: Aluminum Case and Weight components
- Aluminum Case + Brass Weight: Aluminum case with Sandblasted Brass (main weight component), Sandblasted Gold-plated Brass (weight component with USB outlet)
- FE: To be determined
► Colorways:
- Anodized: Black, Navy, Light Green
- Coating: Red, Pink
- Electrophoresis: Warm white, Yellow
Colors are TBD and not yet confirmed, renders may use colors that may not appear in the actual GB.
► Layout: Regular or Southpaw - 70% (FRL, no keypad, extra function keys on both sides of the arrow keys)
► Plate material: PC
► Mount: Isolated Gasket Mount
► Multifunctional OLED Screen: 7 screen mode (see above “PCB Software and OLED Interface” for detail)
► PCB:
- Integrated Dual PCB - main and func&direction region
- Hotswap with per-key RGB underglow
- Soldered with ISO, Split Backspace, WKL row and Split Shift Support
- USB-C daughterboard
► PCB and OLED Screen Software: HEXCORE ObinsKit. Fully customizable. All OS Supports: Windows, MacOS, Linux
► Typing angle: 8°
► Front height: 18mm
► Transformable Layouts: layout can be quickly interchangeable between Regular and Southpaw Layout

▲ Exploded View

▲ Components

Product Photos

Please note colorways below are not final and may change during GB. Weight and Case color combination are for illustration purpose.

By shipkie:

By nearfar:

Credits

I would like to thank all the people who have helped me along the way, Mr. Luo, Dog Handsome, SIX, Che Sis, Bro Li, etc. too many people to mention. As a first keyboard, from creating the initial design ideas more than a year ago, to running to the factory again and again, to getting my first prototypes that I was happy with, I've experienced and learned so much in my time in this project.

Unboxing and Build

Stay tuned for more!

Q&A

Why is it called TENET?
"Tenet" is one of the few palindromes in English, and it means "creed", "purpose", "principle". Other similar palindromes are kayak, racecar, level, etc.  Having decided on the design feature of a changeable layout, I felt I had to find a palindrome to fulfill the role of this keyboard's name. A palindrome that could be read from left to right and right to left, just as the keyboard can be built both right-handed and left-handed.

Why is there no F row?
I personally prefer the 60/65 column and size specification, but couldn't bear the thought of having 80% separate arrow keys, as well as pgup, pgdn, insert, delete etc., so I opted for the rarer column size of 70%.

What is the purpose of the extra buttons to the left and right of the arrow keys?
The default is to switch between screen modes, but you can also customize them to any key, layer cut, shortcut, macro, etc.

Will there be other materials for plates?
Other materials have been considered, such as aluminum, brass, POM, forged carbon, etc. During GB, there may be an option for additional plates that can be purchased separately.

Will there be more on-screen interface modes for the OLED?
Other modes may be available at a later stage, but that's all I can think of and implement at the moment, from taking the functional requirements and design concepts to the team at Anne Pro2, also known as HEXCORE, to implementing the details step by step and fixing the problems, to having a satisfactory finished product now, it's really been a non-stop process. The firmware of the keyboard will be upgraded, so there are plans to fix issues and introduce new features.

Is this an in-stock or groupbuy? What colors will be available?
This will be a groupbuy, and so has a wider range of customization available. Colors available may change.

Will this be unlimited groupbuy?
Yes.

When will the groupbuy start?
We don’t know yet. But we plan to do it in 2-3 months.

What will be the price?
We haven’t finalized groupbuy pricing yet. In the upcoming groupbuy, there will be a full alu version available for at lower price. For China in-stock sale, the Anodized Sandblasted Weight version price was set at $518 (3299CNY).

Interested?

This group buy will be handled by ClickClack.io and please contact the platform for more information.

Join ClickClack Discord for latest update, discussion, questions:

Fill in Interest Check Form:

Follow Clickclack's IG for other new projects:

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2022, 23:43:22 by ClickClack.io »

Offline murpy

Re: [IC] TENET 70% Keyboard Kit with OLED Screen
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 00:48:56 »
Damn these April fool's posts are getting good /s

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 00:58:10 »
Damn these April fool's posts are getting good /s

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Well, unboxing and build streams don't lie.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 01:17:20 »
This is actually pretty cool. What a day to launch. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 01:38:30 »
This board is awesome. Left a comment on one of the build videos a few weeks ago praying for an international release, so hallelujah I guess :thumb:.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2022, 02:07:42 by unwashed_heathen »

Offline P103

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 02:39:36 »
If the joke is to make me read all that, well jokes on you I can't read. Nice pictures tho.

Offline Blamas

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 04:22:58 »
Looks great ! Can we have closer pictures of the engraving on the back ?

Offline J_Noes

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 07:50:53 »
Really hoping it will support split backspace and a solder pcb

Offline MKBFR

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 08:41:51 »
Love the screen. Could it be possible to show the price of Bitcoin or an other cryptocurency ? would be amazing ! i'm sure a lot of crypto fans will love it

Offline Hentoys

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 12:45:58 »
Super cool! I sure love me a big weight.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:02:38 »
I love the design and innovation, I really admire this board!

Offline MSA_Vision

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:24:38 »
Finally, let's go!! The best sound test ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:26:36 by MSA_Vision »
Sic Parvis Magna

Offline noodleman

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:41:06 »
Saw this board from z frontier glad to see it get an international release!  Very interested!

Offline wil

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:42:51 »
dream board here. will this be unlimited?

Offline iaman

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:45:03 »
The way y'all handled the separate PCBs is a brilliant solution to a problem I had run into when thinking through a layout I wanted to produce a few years back. Cheers to y'all for pushing that solution forward in such an elegant design.

Offline milka158

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 14:58:47 »
looks absolutely amazing. Wish there would be split backspace support too!

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 15:19:48 »
I can decide if I want southpaw or not? Count me IN

Offline Ghostinn

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 16:44:31 »
This is absolutely amazing. Was reading the beginning and hoping it wasn't a joke, so glad it isn't

Offline LumiP

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 18:34:59 »
Been waiting for this one. I'm in there.
More
Current Boards: Aaru TKL Old Dark Sand, Drop + Planck Purple, Mr Suit WKL Black w/Gold Chamfers, Sangeo60 Black, KBD67Lite White, D45 E-Grey, Wind X Pink, NCR 80 Beige, EVO70 Black, White; QK65 Dark Green, Av4 Claymore, TGR x Monokei Tomo Suave Blue, Heracles80 Holy White, Snake60 Rust, Array E-White, Capsule E-White, QK75 E-White

Offline CrlaoSvloadr

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 18:43:29 »
Pretty stunning board, inside and out.
Massive fan of the layout and avidly look forward to hearing more from this!

On a side note, are there any possibilities of opting out of the screen feature? Either in favour of a blank space or badge? I realize this is a pretty significant feature of the board and I ask only because it would be perfect for my own personal taste apart from said screen.

Good luck with the IC!

Offline marici22

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 21:04:54 »
That looks hot. I gotta stop spending money on keyboards but it's hard to resist

Offline psvntrm

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 21:53:15 »
I support this.

Offline Pensa73

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 21:59:41 »
I wouldn't even build this, I love how it looks internally

Offline shipkie

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 23:13:18 »
 :eek:Oh my God, how can it be so handsome, I love this keyboard to death, I'm about to suffocate, who will help me. If you don't buy it, you will definitely regret it for a lifetime.

Offline shipkie

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 23:19:49 »
A combination of classical and modern, solemn and elegant. This keyboard is not just an input tool, I feel more like a work of art, saying so much for only one purpose, shut up and take my money.

Offline kolxy

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 00:26:23 »
Damn this is nice, I want to buy one.

E-yellow is also my favorite color, I'm so glad it's offered.

Offline beyzul

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 01:44:20 »
Love the weight design and overall concept, they're super naise

please consider adding the wine-red/burgundy anodization colour into this run!

Offline LumiP

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 11:13:14 »
+1 wine red/burgundy
More
Current Boards: Aaru TKL Old Dark Sand, Drop + Planck Purple, Mr Suit WKL Black w/Gold Chamfers, Sangeo60 Black, KBD67Lite White, D45 E-Grey, Wind X Pink, NCR 80 Beige, EVO70 Black, White; QK65 Dark Green, Av4 Claymore, TGR x Monokei Tomo Suave Blue, Heracles80 Holy White, Snake60 Rust, Array E-White, Capsule E-White, QK75 E-White

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 11:21:05 »
I like this

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 01:17:14 »
Love the screen. Could it be possible to show the price of Bitcoin or an other cryptocurency ? would be amazing ! i'm sure a lot of crypto fans will love it

No plan for crypto payment as of now. Will consider in future product release.

Offline kolxy

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 02:19:07 »
Is there going to be an option for 1.25u ctrl, win, alt like traditional TKL layout?
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2022, 04:57:35 by kolxy »

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 15:09:55 »
dream board here. will this be unlimited?
Yes, it will be unlimited.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 21:17:14 »
Looks great ! Can we have closer pictures of the engraving on the back ?
Yes. We will add more pictures in the next few weeks.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Hi guys,

Please review the rewritten IC post with many more product pictures.

Feel feel to join our discussion in our Discord!

Thank you!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
Hmmm, interesting little project.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline boku

Wow what a great idea for a board, and great IC too. I’d love to have the option of a WKL top if possible. Could be an add-on

Offline Robert.Lussier5

really cool looking board and innovative for sure. Looking forward to the group buy.
Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline IvarLJ

I guess BT is not in the cards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline savovo

This is a for-sure cop for me. Beautiful board, y'all!

Offline SafeAtShore

Steep typing angle aside, the rest of the board is just so well thought-out.

No QMK support is actually out of the ordinary. I don't think I mind that, since this is a larger board and the firmware is backed by a relatively well-known company.

Also, I take back what I said about wanting lavender as an option; I'm already torn between warm white and light green.

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
Gorgeous and creative keyboard. Saw this on zFrontier a while ago, so I'm super happy that there's going to be an opportunity for those outside of China to grab one. I'm a sucker for southpaw and OLED is a sweetener on top. Great job oy2r!

It appears that the OLED screen is well implemented and supported so that's a big plus.
Suggestions:
- Add some modes like a fun animation (like bongo cat typing [bonus if animation speed is variable, dynamically changing with WPM [also displayed as there's enough screen estate there]), or Dino jumping cactus/dodging pterodactyl, or something more chill).
- Another mode idea is something related to audio (music equalizer animation bar graphs just look cool aesthetically ; and a volume indicator could be a nice touch).
- Could you have an animated mode that has the word 'TENET', and it rotates every 60 seconds? The reason why I say TENET and not TENET70, is because in the logo you have (TENƎ⊥), it's obviously an ambigram (looks the same when looked at upside down), which just encompasses the rotating theme even more.
- I'm not sure what the risk of burn in is, but that's something to be aware of, especially in the Metakey and custom Logo static modes; you might want that mode to have some sort of animation/screensaver that turns on once in a while.

This is one of the few where I feel the brass weight actually complements the theme strongly aesthetically, but my wallet says you can't really see the bottom in normal use cases lol. So sadly might just opt for aluminium.
In the post, you've written "Electrophoresis Warm White with Black Alu Weight", however the image shows Electrophoresis Warm White with White Alu Weight. I'm actually wondering which is the actual one that will be offered?
I'm also curious about what the white top with black weight combination would actually look like too.

In regards to the Hotswap PCB layouts:
Hotswap PCB shouldn't have split right shift (1.75u Shift + 1.0u Fn) forced in my opinion.
The default should be the 2.75u right shift, with split right shift only as an option if possible. My reasoning is twofold:

1) It looks better aesthetically due to both modifiers being one key only, instead of the right side shift modifier being two keys. 'Symmetry' is nice since you're forcing the Tsangan bottom row (whose appeal is because of it's symmetrical looking, which fits the whole vibe of the keyboard)
2) People who opt for Hotswap are typically less experienced enthusiasts, and thus probably more familiar and wiling to use the TKL right shift 2.75u, then the split right shift option.

But maybe this is just my bias against split right shift coming through. I'm not 100% against it, just not a fan. I guess one advantage of split shift is one less stab to install means less work and potential rattle ha.

If possible, add in split backspace support to Hotswap PCB to further expound on the symmetry aesthetic. I appreciate making both stepped and non-stepped caps lock a possible option in the hotswap PCB though! Would suggest looking at Wuque Studios designs (iikki68 Aurora and Mammoth75), as they somehow manage to finesse plenty of options such as split backspace, and split spacebar, into their hotswap PCBs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2022, 23:48:48 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
Personally I will wait for the more affordable alu version.
I love Tenet the movie, as much as I love this board. Watched a few Youtubers built this board and I love it. GLWIC!

Offline Botty212

Gorgeous and creative keyboard. Saw this on zFrontier a while ago, so I'm super happy that there's going to be an opportunity for those outside of China to grab one. I'm a sucker for southpaw and OLED is a sweetener on top. Great job oy2r!

It appears that the OLED screen is well implemented and supported so that's a big plus.
Suggestions:
- Add some modes like a fun animation (like bongo cat typing [bonus if animation speed is variable, dynamically changing with WPM [also displayed as there's enough screen estate there]), or Dino jumping cactus/dodging pterodactyl, or something more chill).
- Another mode idea is something related to audio (music equalizer animation bar graphs just look cool aesthetically ; and a volume indicator could be a nice touch).
- Could you have an animated mode that has the word 'TENET', and it rotates every 60 seconds? The reason why I say TENET and not TENET70, is because in the logo you have (TENƎ⊥), it's obviously an ambigram (looks the same when looked at upside down), which just encompasses the rotating theme even more.
- I'm not sure what the risk of burn in is, but that's something to be aware of, especially in the Metakey and custom Logo static modes; you might want that mode to have some sort of animation/screensaver that turns on once in a while.

This is one of the few where I feel the brass weight actually complements the theme strongly aesthetically, but my wallet says you can't really see the bottom in normal use cases lol. So sadly might just opt for aluminium.
In the post, you've written "Electrophoresis Warm White with Black Alu Weight", however the image shows Electrophoresis Warm White with White Alu Weight. I'm actually wondering which is the actual one that will be offered?
I'm also curious about what the white top with black weight combination would actually look like too.

In regards to the Hotswap PCB layouts:
Hotswap PCB shouldn't have split right shift (1.75u Shift + 1.0u Fn) forced in my opinion.
The default should be the 2.75u right shift, with split right shift only as an option if possible. My reasoning is twofold:

1) It looks better aesthetically due to both modifiers being one key only, instead of the right side shift modifier being two keys. 'Symmetry' is nice since you're forcing the Tsangan bottom row (whose appeal is because of it's symmetrical looking, which fits the whole vibe of the keyboard)
2) People who opt for Hotswap are typically less experienced enthusiasts, and thus probably more familiar and wiling to use the TKL right shift 2.75u, then the split right shift option.

But maybe this is just my bias against split right shift coming through. I'm not 100% against it, just not a fan. I guess one advantage of split shift is one less stab to install means less work and potential rattle ha.

If possible, add in split backspace support to Hotswap PCB to further expound on the symmetry aesthetic. I appreciate making both stepped and non-stepped caps lock a possible option in the hotswap PCB though! Would suggest looking at Wuque Studios designs (iikki68 Aurora and Mammoth75), as they somehow manage to finesse plenty of options such as split backspace, and split spacebar, into their hotswap PCBs.
I personally like the split right shift and tsangan bottom row combination since it reduces the amount of required stabs and has a cleaner bottom row while just moving the FN key one row higher.

However I dont really like adding multiple support for different things on a hotswap PCB if it makes the switches underneath the keycap north or even east/west facing. I have had  board that made the / | Key east facing because they wanted to implement iso hs for example. Yeah it wasnt a great experience.

As for the statement regarding lesser enthusiasts and hotswap that you made in the post. I dont think that it is that accurate of an statement. I know plenty of ppl that I would consider enthusiasts which however like the "normal" right shift more than the split one. In my opinion, preferences dont determine if someone can be called a enthusiast or lesser enthusiastic about this hobby and shouldn't be ranked on a scale based on what they might prefere more.

Your OLED ideas are great and I like them personally a lot, would like to see them implement it. You were really creative there.

EDIT
corrected typos
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2022, 00:49:16 by Botty212 »

Offline killerjustin1087

• i like keyboards i guess
I really like the OLED screen  :thumb:

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
I personally like the split right shift and tsangan bottom row combination since it reduces the amount of required stabs and has a cleaner bottom row while just moving the FN key one row higher.

However I dont really like adding multiple support for different things on a hotswap PCB if it makes the switches underneath the keycap north or even east/west facing. I have had  board that made the / | Key east facing because they wanted to implement iso hs for example. Yeah it wasnt a great experience.

As for the statement regarding lesser enthusiasts and hotswap that you made in the post. I dont think that it is that accurate of an statement. I know plenty of ppl that I would consider enthusiasts which however like the "normal" right shift more than the split one. In my opinion, preferences dont determine if someone can be called a enthusiast or lesser enthusiastic about this hobby and should be ranked scale based on what they might prefere more.

Your OLED ideas are great and I like them personally a lot, would like to see them implement it. You were really creative there.

That's fair enough, I was possibly being presumptuous in my assumption of what ppl prefer in terms of right shift split; it's probably enthusiasts that have severe hard-on for symmetry and less keys [cough WKL] Anyways, I would like it if they could both support 2.75u, alongside split right shift too as an option, as that's my aesthetic preference in terms of overall balance (I think it looks cleaner this way, but that's subjective; as I just make the right Super and Ctrl keys act as my Fn/Meta keys).
I'm not a PCB designer, so I'm not exactly sure what the technical limitations around which switches are being forced to be non-South facing orientation when providing hotswap support for multiple layouts. But if they can do it for just the right shift, and split backspace (hey, 1 less stab), I'd be happy as a filthy casual who doesn't like to solder switches (but worse comes to worse, I can always millmax the solder PCB in the end if this isn't possible).

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
Wow, south paw and OLED? Color me impressed!

Offline noodleman

Any chance for split back space support as well?

Offline ZavaZ86

Would be nice to see some info/addressing of the issues with the chinese gb and whether not those issues would be fixed for this gb.

Offline VAMP

• VAMP
    • Buy me a Ko-fi maybe?
was waiting for this to come to the international market. im in!
Your friendly neighbourhood graphic designer. Hit me up if you need any graphic works! ✏️

https://www.instagram.com/by.vamp/

Offline Zeelobby

Would be nice to see some info/addressing of the issues with the chinese gb and whether not those issues would be fixed for this gb.
What were those? Would be good to have them here for reference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk