Author Topic: [IC] The Adélie - Premium 50%+ Keyboard | GB Starts Sept 26th  (Read 94250 times)

Offline Abec13

Hello everyone.

Welcome to the Adélie [Ah-day-lee].

Pronunciation may vary by your region, this is how the English pronounce it an how I will be saying it.

IC Form: https://forms.gle/NyBcXXk8jVNVA975A

Inspiration
As more people should, I take this hobby pretty lightly. The Adélie is named after a type of penguin. I like penguins.
The board layout inspiration comes from a combination of the CA66, my previous board, the 45-ATS, and the TMO50 v1.
The board shape inspiration comes from a combination of the CA66, Elephant S7, and the side "weights" are something that I pulled from the GMK Q100.
There was a lot of interest in the 45-ATS but some people were wishing for the full punctuation. I hear your call - here's my answer.

Board Details
Gasket mount.
6 Degree typing angle.
Side weight accents.
WS28 Indicator LED's underneath the caps like newer Minivan.
Daughter board, centered USB.
[Bottom/Internal] Brass Weight.
Approx. 1.94 kg [4.285 lbs] unbuilt assuming brass plate.

Color Options
Black - Brass, PVD Chrome Weights
Dark Navy - Brass, PVD Chrome Weights
Rose Red - Brass, PVD Gold Weights
E-White - Brass, PVD Gold Weights
Color options are only speculated; materials and finishes are not final.
Anticipating offering other plate options.

Pricing
Idk, a lot probably. This board consists of 6 unique parts not including PCB, gaskets, etc.
$550

Status
Prototypes are in, ordering a few more. Group buy looking to commence shortly after the summer is over.

Layout

Group Buy Details
First come first serve.

Vendors:
USA/NA: Cannon Keys
EU: MyKeyboardEU
Asia: iLumKB
AU: Daily Clack

Renders

More
More
More
More

IC Form: https://forms.gle/NyBcXXk8jVNVA975A

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Timeline
Interest Check Created
Yeah I'm not actually continuing this timeline. The GB is on the 26th of Sept 2020, okay? :D

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
[/size]

Shoutouts and credits:

Thanks for reading this far. Huge thanks to Upas, Gok, for help with modeling recommendations.
Thanks to Sour for help with the logo, and providing render backdrops.
Thanks to the 40s discord for being a place to boot up these kind of projects.

yes nat this is exactly the same format as the other IC page, thank you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 09:35:39 by Abec13 »
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] The Adélie - Premium 50%+ Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 18:31:14 »
Got the 45-ATS, going to get this. Love it.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 18:37:37 »
I DO NOT like sub 60s....
but I love the hell out of this. Good grief. Please add R1. If you don't, I'll still try to buy this.

Offline Create_alt_delete

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 18:43:06 »
Will be my first <60% if this comes to fruition. Beautiful.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 18:49:43 »
Its finally happening! Looks great :)

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 18:51:15 »
This looks so good. Definitely interested. Hoping for electro-static discharge protection and VIA Configurator support. Absolutely would be happy to pay over $400 if ESD is included. Thanks for making such a cool design, my dude.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:04:25 »
Super cool! Is there any chance of a HHKB-like top with a 1.25u blocker on the left corner?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:08:43 »
Good layout. As a left thumb space user, I appreciate the larger 2.75u space key being on the left side; however, you might want to support the inverse option as well for people who prefer to input space with their right hand.

Also, any chance that centered stem 6u space could be supported instead of (or at least alongside) off-centered?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:10:29 by constexpr »

Offline Abec13

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:13:09 »
Super cool! Is there any chance of a HHKB-like top with a 1.25u blocker on the left corner?

I.. wouldn't count on it. We'll see what the masses say.

Good layout. As a left thumb space user, I appreciate the larger 2.75u space key being on the left side; however, you might want to support the inverse option as well for people who prefer to input space with their right hand.

Also, any chance that centered stem 6u space could be supported instead of (or at least in addition to) off-centered?

The bottom row is already swiss cheese. The current space configurations has the intentions of centering the split bar at G & H and I will not be adding the reverse.

Off centered 6u saved some area of the bottom row.
[/url]

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:16:14 »
Abec whipping out straight heat again

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:19:09 »
Not a fan of the artisan layout choice. If you could switch the $1213 artisan spot with a $1150 artisan spot so us non-fatcats could afford to fill it out i'm in.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:27:28 »

Also, any chance that centered stem 6u space could be supported instead of (or at least in addition to) off-centered?

The bottom row is already swiss cheese. The current space configurations has the intentions of centering the split bar at G & H and I will not be adding the reverse.

I figured as much. Alright, that's reasonable. Personally, I don't mind; I'm glad to see that 2.75u+2.25u won out this time around.

Follow-up question: status LEDs in the vertical 0.5u space above the arrows, ŕ la Volcano660 (oh, and 45-ATS too I guess)?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:27:32 by constexpr »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:39:00 »
Im in!

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 19:57:06 »
Looks absolutely incredible. Was just working on something similar to this earlier today, but I guess that has been shelved because this is just amazing. Best of luck!  :thumb:

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:19:11 »
As a person who wasn't able to pick up the 45-ATS, thank you for this second chance.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:33:45 »
Absolutely love the look, but that weird gap around the arrows turns me off every time. 😭

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:45:01 »
Damn. Well. Didnt think I'd need a 50 in my layout hunt but these curves are real nice.

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:47:40 »
I love how realistic the artisan slots are  ;D

Offline mydens

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 20:52:16 »
I would prefer a premium  CA66. I NEED MY NUMBERS!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:14:33 »
Can't deal with the lack of numrow on sub 60% personally but the design is lovely. Best of luck.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:18:58 »

I figured as much. Alright, that's reasonable. Personally, I don't mind; I'm glad to see that 2.75u+2.25u won out this time around.

Follow-up question: status LEDs in the vertical 0.5u space above the arrows, ŕ la Volcano660 (oh, and 45-ATS too I guess)?

RGB LED's reside under/between the Esc-Q-W keys with a small hole in the plate for the led to shine through. Please read under Board Details
[/url]

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:22:33 »
I love this, I have never wanted a sub 60% board more in my life.  I am sure this isn't an option, but I think it would look killer with a left side HHKB Blocker.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:23:58 »
Yeah. Not gonna lie. Redo this case style with num row and it's an instant cop. I love the curve of the case. Dropping num row is just painful. Hopefully this comes back in some 65 format later. Love the aesthetic.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:29:44 »
Another wonder in the works! Congrats Abec!!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:48:09 »
Another vote for blocked bottom left corner ala hhkb

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 21:54:51 »
Holy cow. This board is beautiful. I appreciate immensely that question mark, right brackets, and quotation marks were important considerations for the layout. One of the biggest turn offs for 40s/50s for me is these keys missing.

I’m watching with hopeful eyes.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 22:07:17 »

RGB LED's reside under/between the Esc-Q-W keys with a small hole in the plate for the led to shine through. Please read under Board Details

Interesting. Any particular reason why you decided to go that route instead of topside indicator LEDs like on the 45-ATS? I think the latter would look nicer and cleaner on this board as there would be no light bleed around the keycaps. Also, it would make it easier to tell which LEDs are on at a glance, I think. To me, those LEDs on the Minivan feel like an afterthought.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 22:09:40 by constexpr »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:18:26 »
Pretty sub60. Also that right column  :D

Offline gorbachev

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:13:58 »
The side panels rock. That's one awesome looking board.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:14:09 »

Interesting. Any particular reason why you decided to go that route instead of topside indicator LEDs like on the 45-ATS? I think the latter would look nicer and cleaner on this board as there would be no light bleed around the keycaps. Also, it would make it easier to tell which LEDs are on at a glance, I think. To me, those LEDs on the Minivan feel like an afterthought.

I think that LED holes here wouldn't be as clean as the aesthetic I'm going for. The underglow LED's like on the minivan can be different colors upon different actions and there are 3, so you should have no trouble identifying the actions.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:26:28 by Abec13 »
[/url]

Offline sourmk

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:30:03 »
nice
Some Work: GMK Wasabi | GMK Pono | GMK Dandy | ePBT DuO | GMK Hooty | Petals Sixty

Some Collabs: ePBT Ivory | GMK Deep Navy | GMK Fundamentals | GMK Polybius | GMK Blurple | GMK Deepwell | GMK Fuji | GMK Pacific

Some Boards: Daji Seis Cinco, Ocho Quattro, Seis Cero | MatrixLab 2.0 ADD + CP, 2.0 Xmas + CP, 1.2OG | Keycult 1/60 | Hiney Ladybird | QXP | Noxary 268.2

Discord - https://discord.gg/j3PxfJ4rBC | Instagram - https://instagram.com/sourmk | Web - https://www.sourmk.com/

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:38:03 »

I think that LED holes here wouldn't be as clean as the aesthetic I'm going for. The underglow LED's like on the minivan can be different colors upon different actions and there are 3, so you should have no trouble identifying the actions.

I also think underglow from the plate side may look cheap while your baseline design is neat and fluid making it look fancy and luxurious.
How about top side above usb port?

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:39:14 »
Not a fan of the artisan layout choice. If you could switch the $1213 artisan spot with a $1150 artisan spot so us non-fatcats could afford to fill it out i'm in.
I saw this a few times but didn't care but all of sudden became very curious.
Is there practical meaning on the numbers?

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 01:39:41 »
Yesss!! The IC is finally happening!

I didn't realize you were influenced by the CA66. That's the board that got me into mechanical keyboards! I always hoped I'd be able to find a more portable board with a similar aesthetic. (: Thanks Abec~ You read my mind without me even realizing it.

On another note. I love the logo on the weight. It looks great even without the case. I'd be interested in having the logo made into a desk thing. Would that be something you'd consider down the line?

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 02:39:24 »
This one feels very friendly! Congratulations!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 13:52:47 by dom »

Online phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 04:22:11 »
Not my size and layout, but it is so beautiful!
I'm sure peeps who love <60% would love it.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 04:30:17 »
Wow that looks great, good job! Shame on the size, I'd love it as a 60! :)

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 05:00:34 »
Soooooooo... I guess I'm the only one who looked at the logo this way huh?
Cool cool cool.

Perfect for a keyboard bottom, surely?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 05:06:19 by nguyenhimself »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 05:15:23 »

My problem with that is that I don't want to use multicolored indicators if I'm going for a clean aesthetic. For example, if I put Apollo on a black Adélie like in your renders, I wouldn't want to use red or green LEDs as that would just look bad. And if the colors are all the same, the LEDs being under the keys makes it harder to tell at a glance which ones are on. Not to mention that it hardly screams “premium”.

Have you considered microperforations for the indicator holes? They look clean and are pretty much invisible when the LEDs are off. I think they would be a good match for this design.

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 05:32:52 by constexpr »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 05:30:39 »
Are the colors final? I'm pining for dark green, but the e-white looks sick.

Offline SpeakingSilence

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 06:38:31 »
Absolutely must have. This is gorgeous. Great work!

Offline Penguindropings

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 07:13:36 »
Several members pinged me about this IC since I have a mild obsession with Penguins.

Never bothered with anything below 65%..... but I will give an exception to this one.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 07:50:14 »
Fantastic work. Upset I couldn't get in on the 45-ATS but I will definitely try my luck here  :thumb:
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Abec13

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 08:49:36 »

My problem with that is that I don't want to use multicolored indicators if I'm going for a clean aesthetic. For example, if I put Apollo on a black Adélie like in your renders, I wouldn't want to use red or green LEDs as that would just look bad. And if the colors are all the same, the LEDs being under the keys makes it harder to tell at a glance which ones are on. Not to mention that it hardly screams “premium”.

Have you considered microperforations for the indicator holes? They look clean and are pretty much invisible when the LEDs are off. I think they would be a good match for this design.

Show Image

I am typing on a volcano right now, I know what they look like. Pretty much, and actually invisible are a bit different. I'll consider it if it's something I regret at the proto phase, but at the moment this is where I'm going with this.
[/url]

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 09:06:04 »
I am typing on a volcano right now, I know what they look like. Pretty much, and actually invisible are a bit different. I'll consider it if it's something I regret at the proto phase, but at the moment this is where I'm going with this.

Fair enough. Either way, I'm excited to see those protos!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 09:10:18 »
Ufff, this is lovely. Almost like it more than Cajal  :eek:

Will def keep an eye out for this!

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 09:25:54 »
Just shut up and take my money now before it's gone. Love you.

<3

Offline Coneree

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 10:08:53 »
wow very interested
Current Rotation:
Space65 v2 | Maja Ergo | SC Alice | NK65 Purple | ID80 | Massdrop Alt HP

Offline celta

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:40:34 »
Looks Awesome! Any chance this will also have alps support?

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:43:56 »
The more I look at this the more convinced I am... This layout is sick