Author Topic: Midi Keyboard  (Read 4947 times)

Offline chimera15

Midi Keyboard
« on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 12:59:08 »
I've been playing around with fruity loops a little, thinking I'll try to do some cool mixes for youtube vids and such since the recent changes have not let me to subscribe to anyone anymore.  I need to get my sub count up.

Been learning it over the past couple weeks and come to the conclusion I really need a midi keyboard.

I've looked at some before and most were at least $100.  Most good ones with good reps were over $150-200.  I really don't want to spend that much.

Anyone know a cheap keyboard under $50 that would let me do some basic stuff?  Most of the synth stuff is done in the program itself, so I don't think I really need much except a good key layout.  Right now I can sort of get by with my minitouches, but they're of course not pressure sensitive and the layout is kind of weird and complex for doing chords and stuff.

I found this one which looks pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Prodikeys-USB-Computer-PC-MIDI-Music-Keyboard-/290446890318?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item439ffbd54e

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2010, 13:03:00 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline chimera15

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 13:32:21 »
$50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350316084666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Went with this one.  Didn't get too bad reviews, and it's tiny which I like.  Should get me the functionality I need.
Alps boards:

Offline Megaweapon

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 13:50:36 »
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline chimera15

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 13:55:14 »
lol
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 14:07:44 »
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but it's a pain in the but to learn.  There are gaps in the keys, and some keys still control functions, so the active ones are patchworked all over the keyboard, and not sure how to change them.  Not to mention the keys are tiny if you're not thinking in typing.  That guy's got some skills and studied a while to do that I'm sure.
Alps boards:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Midi Keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 14:42:56 »
Korg is a mature brand, you'll get you're money's worth from that one. I was going to suggest a used M Audio Oxygen for the full-sized keys, but that woulda been more moola.

Still trying to get my mind around a black-on-black music keyboard. You'll have to give us a visceral review of the Korg when you have it in your hands.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2010, 14:49:32 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline nathanscribe

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 15:44:46 »
There's also Akai:

http://www.akaipro.com/lpk25

Also, check out the LPD if you need pads/knobs.

As for M-Audio, I've had a few bits from them and they do the job for cheap, mostly.  I don't recommend the Axiom series though, I thought the keys felt too squishy and I had trouble with the extra controls... they may have better quality control now they're under Avid.

A lot of this kind of thing seems to concentrate on features at the expense of both usability and performance, but if you can do without key-like keys, I reckon you should be OK with the Korg.  Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2010, 15:46:58 by nathanscribe »
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline In Stereo!

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 07:53:08 »
That Creative abomination is what you get when you sum a horrible keyboard with another horrible keyboard.

Offline EverythingIBM

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 October 2010, 15:58:57 »
I just found this:
http://www.midi-store.com/CME-VX6-USB-Audio-Midi-Keyboard-p-16188.html

Does that ever look awesome? It's a rarity for me to aesthetically like a product.

It has a lot of good features too... I particularly like the fact of merging MIDI signals on USB too. Finally... I need to use the MIDI cables for my old synths... not being hogged up by modern equipment.

Weighted keys too... good.

I guess a disadvantage is the size of it. Reminiscent of a terminal model M or something...
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline nathanscribe

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 October 2010, 19:07:41 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;229347
I need to use the MIDI cables for my old synths...

Clearly if they have MIDI they are not old enough...

What you got?  I'm something of a synth geek myself.

Offline Voixdelion

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 October 2010, 22:43:34 »
I got a yamaha keyboard just to hook up to my computer waaaay back when I had an LC475 and actually never did a dang thing with it.  Full size with touch responsive pressure sensitive keys and yada yada yada with midi in and out and all over the place.  This was like in 1994.... I think its still usable on my setup though, since midi connect hasn't changed since then has it?  If so I really gotta pull that out of the closet.... Have there been tremendous advancements in keyboards in the last 15 years?   (Other than not being referred to as "synthesizers" anymore?  Gawd I'm getting old! )
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline nathanscribe

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 04:19:42 »
Well, except for increased processing power meaning many people are going entirely software, as always the best leaps forward are a few stapes back:

http://www.moogmusic.com/voyager/?section=product&product_id=21396

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Midi Keyboard
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 20:09:05 »
Quote from: nathanscribe;229390
Clearly if they have MIDI they are not old enough...

What you got?  I'm something of a synth geek myself.

Paia Gnome, Minimoog and Micromoog (analog synths), Paia Oz and Arp Quartet (top octave generator keyboards), Casio sk-1 (sampler --with midi upgrade from Radio Electronics article). As ripster might [strike]gloat[/strike] say, i got the last Quartet off the line, made after Roland bought Arp.

Real midi gear includes two Yamaha fb-01 (four operator fm sound generators) and a Casio az-1 keytar controller.

Offline nathanscribe

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 21:30:51 »
Quote from: ricercar;229750
Minimoog

Oh, nice.

Not so sure about the FB-01 though. I had a friend with one a few years back and I thought it made a better paperweight than synth... it was their cheapest FM unit though AFAIK, and since then I've heard reasonably clever demos, so who knows.  Ideas over tools, etc.

Some interesting stuff there anyway.  The Quartet was also available as the Seil Orchestra, I think, under license.  I do like divide-down machines for their particular quirks.  I have a Roland RS-101 and a couple of Korg Lambdas.  The RS is superb through a phaser.

Current favourite is the Moog Little Phatty; long-term fave is the Roland Juno 60.  I got my first Juno nearly 20 years ago.  It was newer then than my 2nd desktop PC is now.  That makes me feel old.

Offline KillerBee

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 22:28:09 »
oh snap time to pull the old Atari ST from the closet along with the ELEPIAN
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Midi Keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 02:07:30 »
> was their cheapest FM unit though AFAIK

Yea, $200 USD for 96 polyphonic FM voices, right in the middle of the DX-7 heyday, was a super package. But you didn't have to be a discerning musician to notice the difference between the FB-01 four-operator and the DX-7 seven-operator voices.

That's why I have two. With relatively trivial voice editing, I had an 8-operator rig for hundreds instead of the thousands of dollars of the DX-7.

> My Minimoog

Got to play with a Minimoog and a 4-track Tascam reel-to-reel for a year in junior high, and never forgot it. That particular Moog was destroyed in a tornado, so I had to buy my own a decade later. Seemed foolish to get a 3-oscillator analog machine in the first MIDI years, but I've learned not to regret such impulses.

> Your Fatty

Now I have to look at the Fatty.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Midi Keyboard
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 02:35:47 »
> was their cheapest FM unit though AFAIK

Yea, $200 USD for 96 polyphonic FM voices, right in the middle of the DX-7 heyday, was a super package. But you didn't have to be a discerning musician to notice the difference between the FB-01 four-operator and the DX-7 seven-operator voices.

That's why I have two. With relatively trivial voice editing, I had an 8-operator rig for hundreds instead of the thousands of dollars of the DX-7.

> Minimoog

Got to play with one for a year in junior high and never forgot it. The one I used was destroyed in a tornado, so I had to buy my own a decade later.

Offline nathanscribe

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 October 2010, 05:29:49 »
Quote from: ricercar;229859
Seemed foolish to get a 3-oscillator analog machine in the first MIDI years, but I've learned not to regret such impulses.

Maybe at the time... but if you've not checked prices lately, you may be in for a surprise.

Re: FM, I have a TX81Z that has been in my rack forever, nearly.  I don't use it much these days, but used to really cane it.  I keep entertaining thoughts of a DX-7, but I know I'd never put the time in to get the best out of it, so I'm trying to shrug that off.

The LP is great fun... there is a menu, but only for obscure parameters and MIDI setup, etc.  Not as knobby as the Mini, but the button press system is super-easy to use and I've found it just as quick and tweakable as a fully-laden panel.

Offline Voixdelion

Midi Keyboard
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 20:12:17 »
Woah! That entire discussion just got waay to deep for me.  I think the most I ever did with my yamaha hookup was a theory class  and using it to creating sheet music of my  arrangements for my acappella group in college.  

This stuff sounds serious!  Any professionals here or just really intense hobbyists?
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav