Author Topic: Run Windows 3.1 out of your web browser  (Read 5611 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Run Windows 3.1 out of your web browser
« on: Sun, 03 October 2010, 11:56:09 »
I found a funny little web site that acts as Windows 3.1. While lacking some features, it's still funny to play around with and probably the easiest way to use Windows 3.1 on your phone.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 October 2010, 18:40:29 »
Pure win.

Just the right thing to warm an old Win 3.1 guy's heart. Yours truly preferred it with Calmira back then though. ;)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 08:50:42 »
The first OS i ever used was a 95 machine, this is pretty outrageous.

Offline netwebber

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 22:10:09 »
Holy crap, changing the desktop wallpaper brought back all kinds of memories. Weird.
I'm pretty impressed that I remembered the command for full-screen mode in the MS-DOS prompt. (Hint: it's not one of the F keys.)
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 15:45:34 »
It's Alt+Enter (I do it all the time).
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 18:51:58 »
It's Alt+Enter in Win 2000 and XP too...

In win 7 I dunno what it is. Never really had much use for a fullscreen command line...

Offline Necroleachate

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 19:12:34 »
Very cool. I just miss Solitaire and Paintbrush.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 19:18:47 »
Quote from: netwebber;232743
Holy crap, changing the desktop wallpaper brought back all kinds of memories. Weird.
I'm pretty impressed that I remembered the command for full-screen mode in the MS-DOS prompt. (Hint: it's not one of the F keys.)

Cool.  I played around with it and it took me back.  Cool Avatar to, but let me fix it a bit for you, :wink:.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 20:07:57 »
That's a good improvement to his avatar.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 20:10:53 »
By the way, do you all know something kind of ironic about that web site that acts as Windows 3.1?

It doesn't render correctly in the web browser on my Windows 3.1 computer.

Offline netwebber

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 21:50:35 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;233058
Cool.  I played around with it and it took me back.  Cool Avatar to, but let me fix it a bit for you, :wink:.

Show Image

Completely untrue. I love my touchpad, and wouldn't buy a Thinkpad without one. It makes navigating and using my computer much, much faster.

I have it set to "Use touchpad for scrolling and tapzones only." I have tapzones turned off and single-finger scrolling turned on. I scroll with my thumb (usually the right, but I'm pretty ambidextrous with the Trackpoint). It's fast and precise--a lot better than using the middle button to scroll. Newer features like "coasting" make it even better. Try it.

The avatar is stolen from somewhere. Yeah, I could have made it myself, but I was lazy.
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 22:00:19 »
Quote from: netwebber;233119
Completely untrue. I love my touchpad, and wouldn't buy a Thinkpad without one. It makes navigating and using my computer much, much faster.

I have it set to "Use touchpad for scrolling and tapzones only." I have tapzones turned off and single-finger scrolling turned on. I scroll with my thumb (usually the right, but I'm pretty ambidextrous with the Trackpoint). It's fast and precise--a lot better than using the middle button to scroll. Newer features like "coasting" make it even better. Try it.

The avatar is stolen from somewhere. Yeah, I could have made it myself, but I was lazy.

Well, I never liked them.  I like the trackpoint so much that perhaps I never gave the trackpad a fair shake.  Sometimes my finger gets fatigued from the tracpoint if I use it a lot but otherwise I love it.  I just got a new thinkpad, maybe I'll give it another chance, taking your advice on configuration into account.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 22:25:00 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;233121
Well, I never liked them.  I like the trackpoint so much that perhaps I never gave the trackpad a fair shake.  Sometimes my finger gets fatigued from the tracpoint if I use it a lot but otherwise I love it.  I just got a new thinkpad, maybe I'll give it another chance, taking your advice on configuration into account.

Haha, I think I'll have to agree with you.

The touchpad is virtually useless for practical uses (maybe it has uses other than manipulating the cursor). However, the trackpoint becomes "one" with your finger. I love it. It's the most accurate thing next to a mouse.

I find when I'm typing, I accidently hit the touchpad and it sends my cursor flying everywhere, GAH (one of my friends has the same problem heh). Which is why I disabled it... when my thinkpad actually worked.

Trackpoint all the way. And the trackpoint L40 ;) <-- which I'm using right now.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 22:36:09 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;233124
Haha, I think I'll have to agree with you.

The touchpad is virtually useless for practical uses (maybe it has uses other than manipulating the cursor). However, the trackpoint becomes "one" with your finger. I love it. It's the most accurate thing next to a mouse.

I find when I'm typing, I accidently hit the touchpad and it sends my cursor flying everywhere, GAH (one of my friends has the same problem heh). Which is why I disabled it... when my thinkpad actually worked. Trackpoint all the way.

Yup, actually you just reminded me of why my touchpad is disabled.  I accidentally hit it as well which sends the cursor flying as you described.  I'll still give it another chance per netwebbers suggestions.  

Quote from: EverythingIBM;233124
And the trackpoint L40 ;) <-- which I'm using right now.

I just came across mine the other day, got busy and hadn't used it but it is great.

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 23:45:30 »
The trackpad was one of the features I chose when I was deciding on my next Thinkpad.

The X200 and certain configured X201 models had the lack of trackpad and that's what sold me over.

I hate the trackpad too.. nothing beats the trackpoint. It's accurate, sensitive and I dont need to leave the homerow.
However, I never thought of using the trackpad as scrolling and finger tapping zones. Interesting.

On a side note, I sure as hell wish there's a trackpoint on my HHKB so I do not need to move my hands ever.. (wished that Miniguru was alive and kicking today :( )

Also, nice site by MW, changing wallpapers DO bring back memories.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 09:41:36 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;233075
By the way, do you all know something kind of ironic about that web site that acts as Windows 3.1?

It doesn't render correctly in the web browser on my Windows 3.1 computer.

Yeah, I couldn't get it to work in my Amiga browser either. I thought it'd be neat to be running Windows 3.1 on my Amiga. (I already had MacOS 8.1 running on it)

Instead of trying to fake it in a browser, I decided to install the real thing. I've got Windows 3.1 running in the PC-Task emulator on my Amiga ...and it brings back memories of how much a piece of **** Windows was (and still is) compared to Amiga Workbench.

Now for my next trick... I'm going to attempt to run MacOS 8.1 and Windows 3.1 simultaneously on my Amiga (along with Workbench 3.1). Wish me luck.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 09:58:40 »
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAKE IT STOP!!

Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 10:03:38 »
You're in a recursive Windows loop. You'll never get out... never get out... never get out... never get out...

(and you'll be in serious **** when the bees come back to the hive)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 20:16:37 »
Thank God, I did not have to work on Windows 3.1.  This is all I can say.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 08:21:52 »
The web browser in that Windows 3.1 emulation is a very inaccurate representation of the true Windows 3.1 Internet experience.

This is more like it: