Author Topic: IBM SSK - USB Conversion w/ Hub, and Mic/Audio  (Read 6615 times)

Offline weenis

IBM SSK - USB Conversion w/ Hub, and Mic/Audio
« on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 10:39:58 »
I purchased an IBM SSK and want to do the following-

[*]Add LEDs for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock
    [*]Optional Detachable USB
    [*]MIC and Headphone Jack
    [*](1) Functional USB port
    [*]Bolt Mod
    [*]Spring replacement
    [/LIST]

Pic of the KB-

With "Optional Detachable USB", I want this entire mod to be able to be turned off with a small switch that would allow for the original IBM cable to still function, if I wanted. With most of my usage being USB, I want to be able to put the IBM cable away, and use the USB cable to use the keyboard, audio, and functional USB port.

I started with the USB hub. I ordered it from Amazon, this is what I ordered- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028Y4F4S/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

With the USB hub and a Blue Cube converter, I started on connecting the converter to the hub. Got that finished, tested, everything works. Here are pictures-

I stabilized it with some cut pieces from the USB port and soldered them on-

Found a Num Lock / Caps Lock / Scroll Lock face plate to use for the LEDs-

Also have a new Caps Lock key[strike] for mounting an LED inside of[/strike]. I am not mounting an LED at this time-

Here is a picture of the second keyboard PCB that I am going to connect to the hub so that I can read whether Num/Caps/Scroll is on, it was salvaged from a USB Dell non-media Keyboard-

Not doing this at this time-> [strike]The electrical engineer friend of mine says I may have to change a resistor to provide power to the additional LED. We shall see.[/strike]

Well, here's my work area...

I wanted to add a Mic and Headphone jack to this, so here's the attempt-

With a 1/4" chisel, this can be smoothed out real nice, but the top was a little closer than I wanted.

After testing, I have realized that the adapter I purchased completely sucks. I have a different one on order, and am going to mount it a bit differently than seen here. Here is the one I purchased-

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Advantage-Headset-Adapter/dp/B0036VO4XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326901650&sr=8-1

I desoldered the LEDs on the second PCB, and mounted them in the case spaced with the windows in the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock decal-

I had to keep track of the +/- when taking them off the PCB, and then mounted them in the case all facing the same direction. I got 3 pairs of black and white wires and soldered them to the LEDs-

Hooked the project up to a computer with another keyboard attached, turned on Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock, they all lit up. Each LED actuates with the pressing of each lock key.

I ordered Screws/Washers/Nuts from McMaster-Carr yesterday, without specifying shipping, I received them in under 24 hours, totaling $6 shipped-

Here's the Bolt Mod, the keys really feel good now, I also replaced all the springs/clappers with new ones from Unicomp-

Back-

I was sick for a while and didn't really get around to finishing this, today was the first bit of time that I had to be able to finish this up.

Got then new Turtle Beach USB sound device in, it works amazingly.

I stripped off the outer wire, and fitted the new device-

Here it is installed and working-

Some people were asking how it was I did the LEDs. I removed the PCB from a USB Dell keyboard, and screwed it to the bottom of the plate. I plugged the USB into the hub, and desoldered the LED's, putting them in the case and wiring them to the PCB-

Also, here are where the LEDs are, I had to grind away material on the plate. I also taped it cause it was tight, and I didn't want it rubbing against the silicone-

Here it is complete... NumPad is on-

Overhead picture-

Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
    « Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 13:40:53 »
    That's a really cool idea to do with the blue cube! Then there isn't any room for cable failure.

Offline weenis

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:46:08 »
    I'm wanting to add LEDs for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock.

And here we go, I just found a nice label. :)

Pulled from an old Dell Quietkey.
    « Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2012, 13:22:57 by weenis »
    Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:54:47 »
    Are you going with a USB B connector on the keyboard so you can do removable cables?

Offline weenis

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 22:04:24 »
    Yes.

Offline weenis

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 00:55:29 »
    This post has been to added to wiki.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2012, 09:43:14 by weenis »

Offline weenis

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 19:45:47 »
    I completed the keyboard.

The keyboard has a mic jack, headphone jack, Num/Caps/Scroll indicator lights, and removable USB. It is also worth mentioning that the way I did this mod, the keyboard will still work if the original IBM cable is used. So if this should be plugged into a PS2 port using the original cable, the USB cable can't be plugged in, it will function just like it does default. Bolt mod is completed, love how it feels/sounds.

In the wiki I posted that I wanted to add a female USB port for peripheral devices, I did not do this. Inside the keyboard on the hub I have a spare USB. I may add the USB later, or incorporate a Raspberry Pi.

Here she is :)

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 19:51:06 by weenis »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
    • weird funny old guy
    « Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:01:51 »
    That is pretty bad-ass.

I am desperately trying to think of a reason that I want to spent the hours and dollars it would take to do this.

Since I have "several" Model M/Fs available to cut out, grind off, and drill into, I am well on the way.

The gargantuan size and interior volume of my beloved converted Model F 122-keys, my current obsession, beg for additional mods to utilize some of that wasted interior territory, but since I am not a gamer, I just don't NEED those extra holes.

Oh well, after the handful of other mods I have on the table, I may try this one.

Thanks !
    "The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
    “Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline weenis

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:51:48 »
    Quote from: fohat.digs;502671
    That is pretty bad-ass.

I am desperately trying to think of a reason that I want to spent the hours and dollars it would take to do this.

Since I have "several" Model M/Fs available to cut out, grind off, and drill into, I am well on the way.

The gargantuan size and interior volume of my beloved converted Model F 122-keys, my current obsession, beg for additional mods to utilize some of that wasted interior territory, but since I am not a gamer, I just don't NEED those extra holes.

Oh well, after the handful of other mods I have on the table, I may try this one.

Thanks !
    Thanks, It was definitely a labor of convenience/love.

It would be pretty sweet to put a Raspberry Pi in one... ... ... hint hint. Your keyboard IS your computer.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
    « Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:22:08 »
    It'd be like a Linux Commodore! :madgrin:

Offline weenis

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 22:29:19 »
    The Sugru dried wonderfully, I added pictures of the PCB. Hopefully that clears up some of the questions.