Author Topic: [Mod] Another HHKB O Ring modification  (Read 39907 times)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: [Mod] Another HHKB O Ring modification
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:50:07 »
I'm very surprised, because the fact that the pad rides up on the plunger has never been a problem.

In my first attempts with the landing pads, I avoided making them too thin exactly for this reason. And then I tried and I realized it wasn't a problem at all.

I'm curious about what exactly happened in your case.

On which keyboard did you try the mod?

How can you be sure the problem was caused by the pad riding up the stem? Some people had to cut the corners of the pads, because apparently the corners where the problem.

Did you take pictures?

This was on my RF87UB55. I'm not entirely positive the landing pad riding up the stem was the cause of the issue but from everything I could observe that was the conclusion I came to. I ironed the piss out of the landing pads and got them to just a touch thicker than a sheet of printer paper, if I remember I'll try to get some pictures tonight. Like I said, I even tried triming the perimeter of the landing pad because I remembered reading that could cause issues but it didn't help. The issue was on just about every key I tried and pad I ironed, even on the modifiers keys.

I actually gave ironing the landing pads another shot when my purple sliders came in to try to silence my modifiers more but kept running into the same problem where the keys would stick and hang.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 10:18:05 »
I'm very surprised, because the fact that the pad rides up on the plunger has never been a problem.

In my first attempts with the landing pads, I avoided making them too thin exactly for this reason. And then I tried and I realized it wasn't a problem at all.

How can you be sure the problem was caused by the pad riding up the stem? Some people had to cut the corners of the pads, because apparently the corners where the problem.

Did you take pictures?

This was on my RF87UB55. I'm not entirely positive the landing pad riding up the stem was the cause of the issue but from everything I could observe that was the conclusion I came to. I ironed the piss out of the landing pads and got them to just a touch thicker than a sheet of printer paper, if I remember I'll try to get some pictures tonight. Like I said, I even tried triming the perimeter of the landing pad because I remembered reading that could cause issues but it didn't help. The issue was on just about every key I tried and pad I ironed, even on the modifiers keys.

I actually gave ironing the landing pads another shot when my purple sliders came in to try to silence my modifiers more but kept running into the same problem where the keys would stick and hang.

It is possible that we have here the first experience with landing pads that were too thin. I can't be positive about it, but it certainly looks like it was the problem.

Thank you for reporting it, I may now have to warn against making the landing pads too thin.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 18:32:57 »

Did you take pictures?

I performed Spicebar's on my Novatouch. Every time I had this "key stuck" problem it was the "pointy" side of the landing pad getting stuck in the way of the slider. I solved it by cutting the pointy edges and sometimes just moving it a bit. If that makes sense. However it was time consuming.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline joric

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 13:14:12 »
Did the same just today with my HHKB BT. Used 11 and 8 mm punchers.
Got 0.5 mm thick silicone rings, much better than 1 mm thick dental bands:

Punchers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201177951571 ($1.5 for 8 mm and $2.5 for 11mm puncher)
Rubber: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271225606536 ($2.5 for 0.5 mm A4 sheet)

Feels like an unmodified HHKB but the rattling's gone and it's infact even quieter than dentalbanded. 8mm inner diameter seems a tad too small and you have to recheck if it sits properly or you'd have to reopen the keyboard and realign the rings (I had to), I think it should be about 8.5 or 8.2 mm as here (taken from another post):

Hypersphere rings are precisely 11 x 8.50 x 0.5 mm so they don't sit as tight as 8 mm ones and cause fewer problems.

I'd recommend 8.5 mm inner diameter as on hypersphere rings, but 8 mm puncher ($1.5) works just fine.

Outer diameter made with 11 mm puncher ($2.5) seems fine too, there's no need to make it bigger.

Considering A4 silicone sheet ($2.5) is 210 x 297 mm you could punch at least 210/11 * 297/11 = 513 rings.

Considering circle packing you could laser cut 210*297*0.9069 / (3.14*5.5**2) ~ 595 rings per sheet.

As for small quantities there's no much need in laser cutting, it takes about 20 minutes to cut 60 rings using punchers.

This method effectively drives the cost to about 1-2 cents per ring.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 20:43:34 by joric »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 13:13:28 »
Got the tools and did this mod on my hhkb with a different material than originally suggested because I couldn't find a good source.

Used a 0.5 mm silicone sheet from eBay and I enjoy the change; next thing I am going to do is I have some of those small fiber washers which I am going to install to remedy the shortened travel hopefully.

Offline joric

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 14:32:53 »

Kiwi99, WHOA. This is the ultimate mod. Guys, look at this. https://imgur.com/a/DLuOw
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2018, 16:50:28 by joric »