Author Topic: IBM Options Model M15 Ergonomic Keyboard  (Read 7105 times)

Offline 127001

IBM Options Model M15 Ergonomic Keyboard
« on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 12:37:24 »
Hello Geek Hackers!

Today I'm bringing you my review of my new IBM Options Model M15. I've been using this board at home for the last 5 days or so and I have to say that it is already my favorite Model M. It's wacky, weird, comfortable and above all fun to use.

The M15 is slightly smaller than an IBM SSK when it is completely folded up and is about the same size a full size Model M when it splayed open.

The model I have here is the more common of the two varieties of IBM M15's and, unfortunately, does not have the optional 17-key number pad. It's unlikely that I will ever come across one sold separately so I doubt that I'll ever be able to add my impressions there of. While this is unfortunate I've been moving away from keypad use (I've switched over to using a HHBK at work for the coding that I do) so I don't find it's absence to be a huge issue. 

This is the position that I have to be the most comfortable for the way I type . I have this set up on my desk at home on which I have very little. I'm not too sure how this set up would work in a setup with limited space as I have elbows laid out to the side resting on some wings that come out of my desk.

The above photos try to illustrate the mechanisms which allow for the M15 to arrange itself in various ways. Each side of the board has three sets of feet. Each set contains one smaller foot and one larger foot. The larger foot contains a bolt with a rubber foot on the end that allows for even greater adjustment. I have yet to make use of this feature.

The keys of the M15 are heavier than I thought they would be. They seem to take a bit more pressure than any of my other Model M's or F's which I find to be absolutely delightful. The layout works really well for the most part though I have to say that I keep stabbing for the "B" key with my right hand; I assume that I will get over this a some point :P
I have found my self using the left had arrows keys more often than I ever thought I would; they add a bit of variety which is a lot of fun.

There is a feature to turn either half of the space-bar into an additional backspace. I tried it out but eventually turn the feature off as my girlfriend got super annoyed with it :P.

Please forgive my crappy review. I've never made one before so I'm not too sure how to go about it. Please feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them as best I can.

tl;dr
It's a lot of fun.

ALSO:
I have no idea how to turn Num Lock off and have no idea what it's affect is lol. If anyone knows please tell me!
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 November 2013, 12:41:31 by 127001 »

Offline ericnrmrf

Re: IBM Options Model M15 Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 15:56:14 »
I'd love to play with a IBM modem M everyone seems to agree it was one of the best keyboards ever

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 15:51:27 »
Where do I buy this?

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 15:53:37 »
I'd love to play with a IBM modem M everyone seems to agree it was one of the best keyboards ever

IBM Model M's are indeed highly regarded keyboards.  They are very good.

Where do I buy this?

Get in line.   lol.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 15:56:20 »
How much did these cost back in the day?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 16:02:46 »
Thanks for the review.  Can't believe how small that is compared to the Space Saver.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline 127001

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:57:36 »
How much did these cost back in the day?

I believe that it cost 179 without the keypad and 199 with. The keypad is pretty rare because of this.

Where do I buy this?

Unfortunately you'll probably just have to stalk eBay until one comes up for sale. I just bought this one two weeks ago and as I understood it one hadn't been for sale prior to that for about 6 months. This cost me approximately 600. I imagine that the price for these is only going to go up as I think that most of the people who own these aren't willing to sell them ; I know I won't.

Thanks for the review.  Can't believe how small that is compared to the Space Saver.

It surprised me too. From the looks of the layout of seems they could have made it even smaller but choose not to as to allow you better position the board.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:06:08 »
How much did you pay for this keyboard here?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline 127001

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 20:25:02 »
How much did you pay for this keyboard here?
$600

I'm sure that people have gotten better deals; I've over paid for almost every keyboard.

In the end I've been happy with all my purchases. I have an addictive personality and I have discover over the years that it works out best when I just indulge them and get them over with.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 06:00:02 »
Wow, I didn't realize there was a split M like that!  Looks super-comfy!

Have you found your speed to increase with the different tactile feel?

Offline 127001

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 09:18:19 »
Wow, I didn't realize there was a split M like that!  Looks super-comfy!

Have you found your speed to increase with the different tactile feel?

It is really comfortable to use. I can't say that I've noticed a change in my typing speed but I suspect that's because I've been trying to get adjusted to my hhbk at work and then come home to use this. Trying to adjust to two new layouts at the same time is a bit challenging.