Author Topic: KBParadise V80MTS (Alps TKL) // Matias Switches Review  (Read 64866 times)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
Re: KBParadise V80MTS (Alps TKL) // Matias Switches Review
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 20:35:31 »
You might want to try the quiet switch with the click leaf from the clicky switch. Or the clicky switch with the dampened slider from the quiet switch.

Hmm aren't the switches identical other than the little rubber dampeners on the quiet switches?

Click leaf / tactile leaf / leaf spring is different (the click leaf clicks!) I'm told the coil springs also are different. I think the coil spring from the tactile switch is lighter.
The more you know!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 02:23:33 »
I recommend swapping the springs from Matias clicky and linear switches. (Linear switch uses the same spring as the tactile switch.) For my taste, the linear switch is too soft and the clicky switch is a bit too stiff. After the swap the weights still aren’t perfect, but it’s IMO an improvement for both.

Offline dante

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 09:36:17 »
Am I a douche for thinking the Fukka are better than the Matias click?  I think the slightly extra stiffness and ping seals the deal.  (Yes, I _like_ ping :`)
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2015, 09:44:13 by dante »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 18:14:42 »
Beyond the material of the plastic housing, Matias switches are pretty similar to Fuhua switches. There are probably some slight differences in the precise shape of the click leaf or the exact details of the spring, but it’s pretty minor stuff. For me, most of the Alps clone switches are stiffer than the ideal for this type of switch (which is something like blue Alps).

If you think the Matias clicky switches aren’t stiff enough, that explains why you really don’t like the linear ones, which are pretty similar to MX red in stiffness.

Having a preference certainly doesn’t make you a “douche”, but I think your critiques are mixing up switch stiffness with other aspects of the switch feel. I’d recommend you obtain some other Alps-compatible springs of various stiffnesses, and try swapping the springs around until each switch you are comparing matches your stiffness preference. That makes it much easier to compare other attributes.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 15:13:16 »
Hey cap, you're Massdrop famous: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kb-paradise-v80-alps

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 15:26:29 »
Huh thanks for the heads up njbair. Didn't realize they were going to use it so soon. Kunal contacted me about including it in the drop info just yesterday @.@
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2015, 15:34:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 15:34:18 »
Huh thanks for the heads up njbair. Didn't realize they were going to use it so soon. Kunal contacted me about including in the drop info just yesterday @.@

I figured I would want to know about something like this. It's cool that they contacted you first.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 15:42:06 »
Speaking of the drop, I don't really see the appeal of it. It's the same price as it is on mechanicalkeyboards.com at the lowest unlockable price for the drop, it doesn't have options for dolch and olivette like mk.com does, and it doesn't even have the option for quiet click switches which are probably the most popular. Again, mk.com has those too (for the quiet clicks). On top of all that, the expected ship date for drop is three days after mk.com's pre-orders should ship. So unless I'm missing something I don't quite understand who this drop is meant for.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 16:06:18 »
Speaking of the drop, I don't really see the appeal of it. It's the same price as it is on mechanicalkeyboards.com at the lowest unlockable price for the drop, it doesn't have options for dolch and olivette like mk.com does, and it doesn't even have the option for quiet click switches which are probably the most popular. Again, mk.com has those too (for the quiet clicks). On top of all that, the expected ship date for drop is three days after mk.com's pre-orders should ship. So unless I'm missing something I don't quite understand who this drop is meant for.

Un-savvy shoppers?

EDIT: A lot of the V80s on mechanicalkeyboards.com are currently out of stock or pre-order only, so the wait time might not be much different versus Massdrop.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2015, 16:11:10 by njbair »

My boards:
More

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 08:11:18 »
I noticed that among the fn-key combos in the top right corner, only the win-lock actually works. The others are all media-related functions that I don't really care about, but still it'd be better if they were actually working. I wonder if I'm missing a driver or something, or there'll be a firmware update, or my unit is just defective in this way.

Offline taropaste

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:52:18 »
The Tai-Hao ALPS sets are back up on Massdrop at $19.99 which is a pretty good price. There is black, Dolch, and Olivette. Just a heads up for those interested. I plan on buying 2 sets but 100 moq ...I guess we'll see what happens.  :))

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:57:29 »
The Tai-Hao ALPS sets are back up on Massdrop at $19.99 which is a pretty good price. There is black, Dolch, and Olivette. Just a heads up for those interested. I plan on buying 2 sets but 100 moq ...I guess we'll see what happens.  :))

I bought one of each of the three colorways the last time they ran those. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow or Thursday, and I'm going to put them on my Filco Zero and give them a good test run. I may end up writing a review, too, for the sake of those considering round 2.

I'll do my best to be objective, but cynical folks would point out that I'm running my own Alps keycap GB right now, so there's that. But at the end of the day I just really want some Alps keycap options.

My boards:
More

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 22:11:30 »
Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought them off of mk.com after deciding not to go into the drop; now I'll have to contemplate even more. I guess njbair's possible review will probably be the deciding factor for me.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:48:39 »
Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought them off of mk.com after deciding not to go into the drop; now I'll have to contemplate even more. I guess njbair's possible review will probably be the deciding factor for me.

Here you go: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75694

I wanted to hate them. I really did.

My boards:
More

Offline taropaste

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 19:30:04 »

Here you go: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75694

I wanted to hate them. I really did.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I'll be getting in on your gb and I honestly wouldn't expect these Tai-Hao sets to be anywhere near the same quality as your set. But for $20/$23 they seem like a good value for what you get. Ultimately, I am in complete agreement that the more ALPS options there are the better. More people need to get/try these switches and keycap options will definitely help encourage that.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:27:24 »
I noticed that among the fn-key combos in the top right corner, only the win-lock actually works. The others are all media-related functions that I don't really care about, but still it'd be better if they were actually working. I wonder if I'm missing a driver or something, or there'll be a firmware update, or my unit is just defective in this way.

I asked KBP about it via facebook, and they gave me the firmware to reflash. I had to change USB ports before the firmware would flash correctly, but eventually it worked and now everything is working as it should.  :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:37:32 »
I love my new KBP V80 with Matias Quiet Clicks. Does anyone else feel like these (Quiet Clicks) are what ergo clears aim to be? The double shot Tai Hao keycaps in Dolch colors are an added plus!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 03:37:30 »
I love my new KBP V80 with Matias Quiet Clicks. Does anyone else feel like these (Quiet Clicks) are what ergo clears aim to be? The double shot Tai Hao keycaps in Dolch colors are an added plus!

I guess if you were gonna add o-rings to your ergo-clears, you'd be better off with the MQC's due to the clearer tactile bump. I happen to like a little clack on my downstroke tho.

Offline valro46

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 03:39:41 »
Just bought the V60 version with Matias Quiet...
The term stated in the box is Matias Quiet Click, altough i don't hear any click sound out of my typing.
The build quality is nice, and definitely this is the keyboard for typing, the feel of tactility in every keypresses is very great

I just falling in love with this keyboard, with fantastic feel of typing, the good build quality, and also the price is quite cheap with this quality

I give it 8.5/10 for the overall score

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 07:11:20 »
The term stated in the box is Matias Quiet Click, altough i don't hear any click sound out of my typing.
The build quality is nice, and definitely this is the keyboard for typing, the feel of tactility in every keypresses is very great

I just falling in love with this keyboard, with fantastic feel of typing, the good build quality, and also the price is quite cheap with this quality

"Quiet Click" is a misnomer. The switches are tactile but not clicky.

Offline dante

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 08:36:55 »

A more appropriate name should be "Quiet Rattle" :D

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 12:07:38 »
I've been using the v80-mts quiet click as my daily keyboard since it was released. Very nice keyboar. I would recommend it to anybody who likes alps style switches and is looking for a capable daily driver.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 12:11:21 »

A more appropriate name should be "Quiet Rattle" :D

Good one! :-D

Even so, I do like Matias switches, both Click and "Quiet Click", despite the wobble and rattle. KBP has made good contributions to the keyboard world with the Matias-switch versions of its keyboards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 May 2017, 12:14:33 by Hypersphere »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 01:53:16 »
Great review!
I'm really interested in this.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 23:29:43 »
I would like to see a re-review when Matias releases their new batches in a few weeks.