Author Topic: GH Swolenation  (Read 63128 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: GH Swolenation
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 15:43:55 »
I just started watching American Ninja Warrior because my best bud is obsessed. The bulky guys fail every time. Plus it is just stupid to put that strain on your body. I don't know what Dwayne Johnson is thinking getting all big again after trimming down; his gimped lower body is gonna pay.

Dwayne did it for a few recent movie roles but I would also think for the fact that he desires that body type. Sometimes it's all mental. Being able to perform the feats in American Ninja Warrior does actually put your body under tremendous amounts of strain due to shear endurance required in the forearms, biceps and back.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 15:47:46 »
At my heaviest I was just a hair of 320, Im currently hovering at 218

That's whats up Tiger, you gots heart. It's not a phase, it's a lifestyle. Just make it a routine and you won't even think about it, it just happens.

Then you can slam beers, get drunk and eat at Taco Bell at 2:00am on the weekends with your buds and not feel bad! =)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 16:37:45 »

That's whats up Tiger, you gots heart. It's not a phase, it's a lifestyle. Just make it a routine and you won't even think about it, it just happens.

Then you can slam beers, get drunk and eat at Taco Bell at 2:00am on the weekends with your buds and not feel bad! =)

Gym life, bruh.

Seriously though I absolutely love going to the gym. 

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 16:41:47 »

Gym life, bruh.

Same man! I get crazy looks when I say I love lifting.

Digi: I still feel bad about drinking a ton of beer and eating fast food.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 17:08:15 »

Gym life, bruh.

Same man! I get crazy looks when I say I love lifting.

#ShrugLife

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 17:12:34 »

hah, yea, I used an extreme example there even though it does happen here or there.

My point is that people are always worried about their diets and you'll notice that most of those people who follow these "diet plans" simply don't exercise. If you do exercise during the week, you have the luxury of indulging a lil' bit on the weekends.

You still want to eat healthy, people need to use a lil common sense, like staying away from saturated fats, no carbs after dinner, only drink American Whiskey (not that Euro **** that STH drinks), don't make me spell it out folks! :)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 18:20:21 »

hah, yea, I used an extreme example there even though it does happen here or there.

My point is that people are always worried about their diets and you'll notice that most of those people who follow these "diet plans" simply don't exercise. If you do exercise during the week, you have the luxury of indulging a lil' bit on the weekends.

You still want to eat healthy, people need to use a lil common sense, like staying away from saturated fats, no carbs after dinner, only drink American Whiskey (not that Euro **** that STH drinks), don't make me spell it out folks! :)

I eat what I want .. lol

If I were stricter on what I eat I'm sure I would be sun 200 but pizza is life

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 20:11:51 »

Awesome! Way to go  :thumb:

When I first started I was right at 260. Got down to 226, then I stopped and went back, I'm at 236 right now. I've only been back for a week or so but I feel like I'm doing really well. Maxed out my leg press at 495...gotta work on my squats and my abs.

Two biggest annoyances for me:

* No calloused hands, which makes lifting that much more annoying
* Running. I really need to find alternative cardio. I could get away with 0 cardio during my week but I think it's important. Luckily I may have found a friend *cough spotter *cough who I could play games like racquetball with.

I gotta start paying more attention to my eating. Lunch is going well, light caesar salad and cold cuts plus berries. Under 500 calories and very satisfying. Dinner is the biggest challenge as I am lazy after work. For breakfast, not too bad - I started bringing breakfast bowls to work since before I would do a workout and just eat crap like Pop Tarts afterwards, really didnt make me feel very good :( . My main thing is carbs...gotta stay away from the carbs and get back on that protein swole tho.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 20:25:50 »

Awesome! Way to go  :thumb:

When I first started I was right at 260. Got down to 226, then I stopped and went back, I'm at 236 right now. I've only been back for a week or so but I feel like I'm doing really well. Maxed out my leg press at 495...gotta work on my squats and my abs.

Two biggest annoyances for me:

* No calloused hands, which makes lifting that much more annoying
* Running. I really need to find alternative cardio. I could get away with 0 cardio during my week but I think it's important. Luckily I may have found a friend *cough spotter *cough who I could play games like racquetball with.

I gotta start paying more attention to my eating. Lunch is going well, light caesar salad and cold cuts plus berries. Under 500 calories and very satisfying. Dinner is the biggest challenge as I am lazy after work. For breakfast, not too bad - I started bringing breakfast bowls to work since before I would do a workout and just eat crap like Pop Tarts afterwards, really didnt make me feel very good :( . My main thing is carbs...gotta stay away from the carbs and get back on that protein swole tho.

I hate cardio so bad. If I have a movie to watch it's not bad at all, but with me being deaf Cardio is soooooooo boring since I can't listen to music

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 02:54:04 »
I can't run, especially on blacktop. It is just painful and stupid. I eventually want a big sloping back yard so I can build a sand track up and down it like NFL players do.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 08:45:11 »
I just started watching American Ninja Warrior because my best bud is obsessed. The bulky guys fail every time. Plus it is just stupid to put that strain on your body. I don't know what Dwayne Johnson is thinking getting all big again after trimming down; his gimped lower body is gonna pay.

Usually climbers end up doing really well in Ninja Warrior.  ;)  hint, hint (you guys should all start climbing ;) )

Also if you like American Ninja Warrior, I'd highly recommend watching the original Japanese show.  The show has a different overall tone to it, and I prefer the OG to the American adaptation.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 08:53:52 »

Usually climbers end up doing really well in Ninja Warrior.  ;)  hint, hint (you guys should all start climbing ;) )

Also if you like American Ninja Warrior, I'd highly recommend watching the original Japanese show.  The show has a different overall tone to it, and I prefer the OG to the American adaptation.

The Japanese show is definitely great but for the American show, it had to be adapted. Was just too easy for some American contestants.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 08:56:52 »

The Japanese show is definitely great but for the American show, it had to be adapted. Was just too easy for some American contestants.

:confused:  Wait, what??  I saw multiple specials where they featured American athletes, and they all crashed and burned.  I never saw an American make it to the end, or really anywhere near it.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:03:56 »

:confused:  Wait, what??  I saw multiple specials where they featured American athletes, and they all crashed and burned.  I never saw an American make it to the end, or really anywhere near it.

In the history of Sasuke, there have been what, 3 winners?  And none of them American  :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:08:47 »

In the history of Sasuke, there have been what, 3 winners?  And none of them American  :p

Exactly.  It was known as being incredibly brutal, and IIRC they actually made it easier after the 2nd or 3rd year since no one came close to completing it.  If anything, I thought they made the American one easier.  :P

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:20:40 »

Exactly.  It was known as being incredibly brutal, and IIRC they actually made it easier after the 2nd or 3rd year since no one came close to completing it.  If anything, I thought they made the American one easier.  :P

I don't remember Americans beating it but in the latter seasons didn't a bunch of Americans make it to the third stage fairly easily? I could be remembering it wrong.

Just checked the Wiki page for Sasuke, Levi Meeuwenberg and Drew Dreschel are two prominent Americans as well as a few others who I can't recall, who dominated the later competitions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:26:25 by iamtootallforthis »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:21:31 »
Ugh. Now between my friend and you guys, I'm gonna start watching all the old ones. Then I'll want to exercise. Then I'll get hurt. Thx
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:34:53 »
Being fit is very Un-murican "..   

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:36:46 »
Being fit is very Un-murican "..   

Show Image

Pffffft. I just wanna get on the television. 'Murica.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:25:01 »
Hope everyone is making progress on their goals!

I just hit a 545lb deadlift yesterday. It's still way off my goal of 600lbs but it is progress.

https://instagram.com/p/7bZZl8kfgg/?taken-by=andrewvanbo

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:34:39 »
I've got a question, that I know the "right" answer to, but want some opinions.

How much sleep do you guys get while weight training? I'm taking night courses, and am averaging ~5hrs a night. I'm thinking about waking up an hour early to work out, so that will take me down to 4. I know I can function on that much, and I know its not healthy. My main concern is recovery time.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:37:20 »

How much sleep do you guys get while weight training? I'm taking night courses, and am averaging ~5hrs a night. I'm thinking about waking up an hour early to work out, so that will take me down to 4. I know I can function on that much, and I know its not healthy. My main concern is recovery time.
It will decrease your gains, however I don't know the difference between 4 or 5 hours.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:38:43 »

It will decrease your gains, however I don't know the difference between 4 or 5 hours.

I also haven't lifted since starting back to class. So my last consistent period in the gym, I was getting the full 8. So I'm not sure how badly I will feel the effects yet.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 11:41:52 »

I don't see it affecting you much more than having 5 hours of sleep.

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:07:29 »
fuuuuu so kai green is out of 2015 olympia

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 19:40:50 »
fuuuuu so kai green is out of 2015 olympia

Yes it's a sad day and **** AMI for being ****s and kicking him out.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 05:11:43 »
Okay. I've been riding the stationary bike 15-17 miles per day (1 hour), lifting 10lb weights while I ride, and walking about a mile per day. I've cut my carb intake down at least 3/4. Why have I gained 3 lbs?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:08:43 »
Okay. I've been riding the stationary bike 15-17 miles per day (1 hour), lifting 10lb weights while I ride, and walking about a mile per day. I've cut my carb intake down at least 3/4. Why have I gained 3 lbs?

Stress?  :(  I'm far from an expert, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.  Other than that, how long has it been since you started this new routine?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:10:07 »

Stress?  :(  I'm far from an expert, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.  Other than that, how long has it been since you started this new routine?

I haven't worked out on a schedule since December last year.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:11:29 »

I haven't worked out on a schedule since December last year.

But how long have you been doing the new routine where you are working out?  If it's only been a week or so, your body might be adjusting to the new routine still (again, not an expert).

Offline engicoder

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:18:58 »
I'm no nutrition expert, but at the root of things, to me it always seems like its not what you eat, its how much. Portions are everything.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:19:44 »

It's not at all unusual to gain a few pounds initially after beginning an exercise routine. Muscle is heavier than fat. Better to appraise improvements based on % of body fat rather than actual body weight. Keep it up and the pounds will start shedding.

Offline neverused

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:58:30 »

I just hit a 545lb deadlift yesterday. It's still way off my goal of 600lbs but it is progress.

Nice lift! I'm sure you know, but you have a little lower back rounding when you're about shin height. Keep up the heavy weights

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:02:32 »

Nice lift! I'm sure you know, but you have a little lower back rounding when you're about shin height. Keep up the heavy weights

Thanks! Yea, I really need to focus on preventing that now. I practiced some rack pulls the other day, worked up to 545x5 and 600x1 and the lower back rounding in the 600 attempt was really obvious. I should have filmed 545x5 to check that too. No pain or irritation in that area though to indicate any real issues.

Offline neverused

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:07:06 »

Thanks! Yea, I really need to focus on preventing that now. I practiced some rack pulls the other day, worked up to 545x5 and 600x1 and the lower back rounding in the 600 attempt was really obvious. I should have filmed 545x5 to check that too. No pain or irritation in that area though to indicate any real issues.
Yeah some can lift with a rounded back just fine, I think Magnuson and Poundstone do. When I lifted more, my sticking point was just before lockout, because I would forget to squeeze my glutes on my max set. That might help with some of the hitching in the video at the top.

Also elitefts has some good lifting training videos on YouTube.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:45:39 »

Yeah some can lift with a rounded back just fine, I think Magnuson and Poundstone do. When I lifted more, my sticking point was just before lockout, because I would forget to squeeze my glutes on my max set. That might help with some of the hitching in the video at the top.

The rack pulls were done to help exactly with that sticking point and I will have to check out the elitefts videos. My sticking point has changed recently though. Used to be off the floor but now I have issues at lockout.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 13:53:13 »

The rack pulls were done to help exactly with that sticking point and I will have to check out the elitefts videos. My sticking point has changed recently though. Used to be off the floor but now I have issues at lockout.

I always deal with that. I always end up training my sticking point too much and then end up with issues at the other end. Right now its off the floor for me.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:10:35 »
More

I always deal with that. I always end up training my sticking point too much and then end up with issues at the other end. Right now its off the floor for me.

It'll always be like that.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 05:20:52 »

It's not at all unusual to gain a few pounds initially after beginning an exercise routine. Muscle is heavier than fat. Better to appraise improvements based on % of body fat rather than actual body weight. Keep it up and the pounds will start shedding.

I thought it might be this, but I also thought 10lb weights and fairly low resistance on the bike wouldn't bulk me up. Thanks for the advice. I will keep on pushing and try to get rid of this carb gut I got over the last 8 months.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:20:29 »
If you guys need healthy, realistic and sound nutritional information that will last you into your senior years, make sure you check out Rich Piana's instructional YouTube channel.

Say NO to Steroids kids.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1DAYUMAY/videos

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 13:35:14 »
Say no to Synthol and don't abuse steroids.

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:45:31 »
If you guys need healthy, realistic and sound nutritional information that will last you into your senior years, make sure you check out Rich Piana's instructional YouTube channel.

Say NO to Steroids kids.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1DAYUMAY/videos
thanks man, this is definitely useful info :)

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 21:10:50 »
Alright boys hitting the gym back up on monday - time to re-swole  :thumb:

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:55:35 »
We back bois.

I've been focusing on cardio ever since the fall semester ended. This semester I only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I should be able to get enough rest to lift. Gonna start on Monday, still unsure on my plan. Probably gonna do some hiit and cardio m/w/f. I'm also going to go back to strict paleo for about a month. I'll reevaluate afterwards.

End goal is Spartan Sprint for now. Depending on how well that goes, I may look for a Super after.

I have to admit, its felt good being back in the gym. I have no idea where I'll be at on Monday, since its been about 4 months since I've lifted but I'm stoked.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:36:06 »
We back bois.

I've been focusing on cardio ever since the fall semester ended. This semester I only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I should be able to get enough rest to lift. Gonna start on Monday, still unsure on my plan. Probably gonna do some hiit and cardio m/w/f. I'm also going to go back to strict paleo for about a month. I'll reevaluate afterwards.

End goal is Spartan Sprint for now. Depending on how well that goes, I may look for a Super after.

I have to admit, its felt good being back in the gym. I have no idea where I'll be at on Monday, since its been about 4 months since I've lifted but I'm stoked.

Damn 4 months!

I'm itching to get back into the gym after a day off.

Kill it though! I'd say hit some squats or deads to get back into the mood but that's just me.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:39:13 »
Ya know, I was having a hard time carrying a semi-full grocery bag the other day. Maybe I need to combine my chipotle diet with some cardio/lifting for max results  :D

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #246 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:48:51 »
We back bois.

Damn 4 months!

Kill it though! I'd say hit some squats or deads to get back into the mood but that's just me.
I was averaging 4-5 hrs of sleep and decided to just wait it out. Deff planning on squats and DL though, by far my favorite lifts.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:54:01 »
We back bois.

Damn 4 months!

I was averaging 4-5 hrs of sleep and decided to just wait it out. Deff planning on squats and DL though, by far my favorite lifts.

Oh ok that's understandable. Have fun getting back into it though. The DOMS will be a killer though.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 23:23:21 »
Ya know, I was having a hard time carrying a semi-full grocery bag the other day. Maybe I need to combine my chipotle diet with some cardio/lifting for max results  :D

Come with me, where you will learn how to carry ALL of the grocery bags in one hand.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 23:32:07 »

Come with me, where you will learn how to carry ALL of the grocery bags in one hand.

I've been doing this for YEARS.