Author Topic: Silencing Rings for Topre-Switch Keyboards  (Read 66911 times)

Offline PekingGoose

Re: Silencing Rings for Topre-Switch Keyboards
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 07:18:59 »
Please tell me this is coming back! I hesitated an missed out on the rings last week.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 08:03:30 »
@PekingGoose: Yes, the Silencing Rings will be coming back. Another round should be ready within a week or two. We are also changing the name of the eBay site to "Hypersphere2016". Thanks.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:19:48 »
Still not willing to deal off ebay?

The ebay fees are so expensive that I imagine if you sold them offsite and discounted it 10% it would still be more profitable no?

Offline Auryon

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 01:11:05 »
Are you selling these still? Checked ebay and nothing :(

Offline rwarwarwa

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 08:45:41 »
I really expect new round  :thumb:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:12:34 »
@rwarwarwa and @Auryon: I've encountered a delay because the raw materials for the rings are on back order. We will get them made and back up for sale as soon as possible. Thanks for your interest and patience.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 19:10:54 »
@rwarwarwa and @Auryon: I've encountered a delay because the raw materials for the rings are on back order. We will get them made and back up for sale as soon as possible. Thanks for your interest and patience.

I was wondering about these.  Thanks for the update, glad to know there still are plans to sell more.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 16:46:58 »
NOTICE: The Hypersphere Rings (Silencing Rings) are available once more! They are now up for sale on eBay at "hypersphere2016". This was previously "katesattic2".

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 00:24:36 »
On a personal note...I bought some of these in February for my HHKB.  It has reduced the sound of the upstroke clacking when the slider hits the inside top of the case.  The key travel was reduced ever so slightly but it was not very noticeable.  Shamefully, I previously tried using dental bands and o-rings but they reduced the key travel so much, the HHKB felt gross to type on. :-[

Now I have no more regrets not having bought a Type-S to begin with. :thumb:

Offline Auryon

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 02:30:49 »
NOTICE: The Hypersphere Rings (Silencing Rings) are available once more! They are now up for sale on eBay at "hypersphere2016". This was previously "katesattic2".

Bought 63 for my HHKB. Thanks for the update  :)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:48:19 »
Looks like mine are coming today! I guess I'll have myself a bit of a project to work on :))

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 18:05:36 »
how do you actually apply those silencing rings?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 20:19:25 »
These are great! Just threw them on, the board sounds amazing now, and I have my wonderful thocky thock now  :))

You just take the plungers out of the board and slide them over the plunger, similarly to how you would apply the landing pads, just without all the preparation.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 21:04:02 »
Ebay link doesn't appear to be working.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:11:11 »
These are great! Just threw them on, the board sounds amazing now, and I have my wonderful thocky thock now  :))

You just take the plungers out of the board and slide them over the plunger, similarly to how you would apply the landing pads, just without all the preparation.

Thanks, great to know!

Any idea where I can order them?

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:57:30 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:03:28 »
Ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252352381408

Is their a difference in rings (like o-rings for cherry) or all they all the same?

Is their something I should look out for?

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:13:09 »
Ebay!

Is their a difference in rings (like o-rings for cherry) or all they all the same?

As far as I know all the rings being sold are the same, just different quantities. If you're asking about different silencing methods for Topre, I'd say this is the best compared to ironed landing pads and dental bands, since these don't have any effect on key travel since they're so thin, and it sounds just like a Type-S

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 14:59:49 »
Ebay!

As far as I know all the rings being sold are the same, just different quantities. If you're asking about different silencing methods for Topre, I'd say this is the best compared to ironed landing pads and dental bands, since these don't have any effect on key travel since they're so thin, and it sounds just like a Type-S

Nice! Time to order and do the mod then. Curious how it sounds (or the lack of it for that matter).

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:23:41 »
Ebay!

Nice! Time to order and do the mod then. Curious how it sounds (or the lack of it for that matter).

Sounds identical to the Type-S. It's great. Here's a typing test of a type-s for reference

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:18:17 »
Ebay!

Sounds identical to the Type-S. It's great. Here's a typing test of a type-s for reference

Sounds really nice!

Only... why is that spacebar SO LOUD?

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:15:47 »
Ebay!

Sounds really nice!

The space bar always bottoms out on the rubber pads on the HHKB, as seen here

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:26:59 »
Sounds really nice!

Show Image

Would it be possible to silence the spacebar somehow? That's the only thing that is missing. I'll probably gonna try it myself. First I need to get me a spare HHKB / 87U.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 21:38:40 »
Sounds really nice!

Show Image

Would it be possible to silence the spacebar somehow? That's the only thing that is missing. I'll probably gonna try it myself. First I need to get me a spare HHKB / 87U.

I'd bet if you removed those little things that hold the rubber pads for the bar it would be just like any of the other keys. Other than that I don't know how you would do it

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 04:31:30 »
Sounds really nice!

Show Image

I'd bet if you removed those little things that hold the rubber pads for the bar it would be just like any of the other keys. Other than that I don't know how you would do it

I thought those rubber pads ABSORBED that noise. But apparently not then. I have the idea that perhaps sometimes the spacebar goes over the pads and still hit the plate, thus causing the noise. I have already removed the little spring under the spacebar, but that didn't help really.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 11:26:58 »
Sounds really nice!

Show Image

I thought those rubber pads ABSORBED that noise. But apparently not then. I have the idea that perhaps sometimes the spacebar goes over the pads and still hit the plate, thus causing the noise. I have already removed the little spring under the spacebar, but that didn't help really.

I wouldn't imagine that it silences it, since the space bar doesn't really differ from other keys. And the sound from topre comes from the plunger hitting the plate, so they couldn't be preventing that.

I might give it a try later, now I'm curious if it will make a difference to remove those

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 12:54:46 »
I didn't have any foam on hand, so I used this soft rubbery plastic from fabric scent samples I had.  Here's a quick video of the result with the ghetto pad / hypersphere silencing rings.  I noticed a miniscule difference in sound, but mainly a softer bottom out without a noticeable loss of travel.  Please excuse my 1337 filming.

Not a valid vimeo URL
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 13:00:49 by cryptokey »
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 09:41:25 »
To help silence the spacebar, in addition to installing a Silencing Ring on the center switch, I lube the stabilizer and switch rails with Superlube 51010 oil and apply extra pads under the space bar. Although the HHKB already has spacebar shock absorbers, I add squares of self-adhesive rubber (like the anti-skid strips on the underside of keyboards) on top of the shock absorbers. For RF and NT boards, I use thicker rubber so that it makes contact with the underside of the spacebar. It can also help to put some rubber foam strips inside the spacebar to deaden its sound, but don't overdo it and make the spacebar too heavy or this will affect the return stroke.

Offline Reiniku

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 21:20:25 »
Is there a chance of another round of these rings dropping?  I'm a new Novatouch owner and would be very interested.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 11:02:29 »
My wife handles all the transactions for Rings and other keyboard-related items. She is currently traveling, and so all the listings have been temporarily suspended. The listings should be up again sometime next week.