Author Topic: KBParadise V60 Matias Quiet Click Opinions Please  (Read 5225 times)

Offline schoeps

KBParadise V60 Matias Quiet Click Opinions Please
« on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 14:56:11 »
hey all  :)

Looking to get a new board - my Cherry Blues are driving my co-workers a little mad...

Considering the V60 with Matias Quiet Click switches - really like the tactile feedback of Blues but a little wary of Cherry Clears; hence the Matias Quiet Click choice. Looking for a little insight from the community on:

The V60 - I'm using a Poker II so used to the 60% layout; more interested in hearing about build quality and if anyone has had any issues with them
and
Matias Quiet Click switches - how are they as a daily driver? Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!  :thumb:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: KBParadise V60 Matias Quiet Click Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:14:17 »
The Matias Quiet Clicks are great I have the larger sibling of the V60 the V80.

Matias Quiet Clicks are great switches. Compared to MX Blues they are smoother, more tactile, and actuate higher up. I would say that the noise is comparable to any regular rubber dome you'd find in an office. They're the quietest switches you will find besides Topre. They do have a soft feeling when bottoming out because they are dampened with some rubber but they do not feel mushy. 

The keyboard is built pretty well and has a nice smooth matte finish. The stock keycaps aren't very good, they are thin laser etched ABS. At mechanicalkeyboards.com for a little bit more you can upgrade the keycaps to Tai-Hao doubleshots which come in olivette and dolch colors and I would recommend it.

Offline schoeps

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:22:23 »
Thanks a lot - really appreciate it. I did see the different keycapped versions - will definitely check them out before I buy

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 18:00:41 »
I have the KBP V60MTS-C and V60MTS-Q. I like them both. I have a preference for the feel of the Click version, but if I want to have quiet, the Quiet version is about as quiet as my silenced HHKB.

I also much prefer either of the Matias switches to any Cherry mx switch I have tried, which includes just about all of them (red, black, brown, clear, blue, green).

For caps, I use blank black ABS caps for the modifiers and spacebar, and I harvested dye-sub PBT alphanumeric caps from an IBM 5140 convertible computer keyboard that I bought from eBay. There are a number of vintage Alps keyboards with either doubleshot ABS or dye-sub PBT keycaps. You can search the forums and/or Google to find the specifics.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:42:06 »
I have always been curious to try the Matias switches.  However I have lot's of keyboards and I don't want to spend $140 or $150 dollars and put it back in the box to collect dust.  I can comment on the V60 and it has a very high quality build.  It doesn't have the aluminum case the Poker has so it is lighter.  Some may prefer this and others may think it subtracts a point. 

I will say that although I'm not an expert at desoldering and installing new switches, I have done this for several boards.  The poker always has a few traces that detach during this process and it's a hassle to correct.  The V60's have not had a single damaged trace.  This may be something to consider if you are considering customizing your board.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:51:16 »
Maybe I'm the minority, I find the dampen material actually made the switch a bit mushy.  While it's still not bad, but I still prefer the Matias Clicky switch / Cherry MX / Topre over the Quiet Click switch.

Sound wise they're on par with any rubber dome keyboard so you'll be fine at work.  However I think Topre still offer the best quiet/feel ratio.

The Quiet Click switch do offer a somewhat "crunchy" kind of sound/feel that's unique on its own.  If you're used to MX Blue this might be closer in feeling.

Though I still like Topre better.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:04:05 »
@Hyde: I tend to agree with you. I have considered modifying the Matias Quiet switch by clipping the bottom rubber damper. I don't mind the bottoming-out sound of the Click switch, but I don't like the return-stroke sound. Clipping the bottom damper should also eliminate the mushy feel of the Quiet switch. However, this would be a very tedious operation. I emailed Matias to ask if they would consider producing a hemi-damped switch -- not too surprisingly, their answer was "No".

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:06:51 »
I've heard great things about swapping out the slider on the Clicky switches with a dampened slider from cream alps or the quiet click slider.

Offline schoeps

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 15:01:06 »
thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I do love the sound and feel of my Cherry Blues but the folks at work are very over me now (I'd get Greens as my next board but I do want to keep my job...)

Probably will give the matias quiet clicks a try in the next few months :-)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 15:39:20 »
thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I do love the sound and feel of my Cherry Blues but the folks at work are very over me now (I'd get Greens as my next board but I do want to keep my job...)

Screw your co-workers and buy a Model M.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 07:02:58 »
It's a very decent keyboard. FN layer is very sensible, and it allows a lot of customisation of the bottom row with required keycaps included in the box. Speaking of keycaps, they're nothing spectacular though, but they get the job done. It's the same league as stock Filco keycaps.
The switches are very nice, something in between Realforce 55G and black complicated Alps in my Dell AT101, but quieter than both of them. I love their feel but unfortunately they're a bit too heavy for me nowadays.
On top of that it's partially compatible with Poker cases, so you can use aluminium or wood or whatever you like :) I also noticed Tai Hao started offering double shot keycaps for Alps switches, so there is a modding potential.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Magna224

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 09:41:59 »
I prefer the click switches over the quiet click. They feel a bit different from each other and I felt the quiet clicks to feel a little irregular. I didn't like the real dampened ALPS either.  I'm sure some others feel the opposite though. They are sure loud and not what you're looking for too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 09:45:33 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 12:13:00 »

Screw your co-workers and buy a Model F.
corrected for you

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 14:48:16 »
Maybe I'm the minority, I find the dampen material actually made the switch a bit mushy.  While it's still not bad, but I still prefer the Matias Clicky switch / Cherry MX / Topre over the Quiet Click switch.

Sound wise they're on par with any rubber dome keyboard so you'll be fine at work.  However I think Topre still offer the best quiet/feel ratio.

The Quiet Click switch do offer a somewhat "crunchy" kind of sound/feel that's unique on its own.  If you're used to MX Blue this might be closer in feeling.

Though I still like Topre better.  :P
It's a bit mushy yes, but I think this is unavoidable on any dampened switch.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:00:10 »
I really want to try these Matias switches, but from what I understand after you reach actuation the resistance decreases.  An increase in resistance decelerates your keystroke.  Yes the bottom may be dampened, but I would prefer to float.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline mikequity

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 01:03:01 »
I use a Matias Quiet Click Pro Mac keyboard at work, for precisely the reason that my coworkers found my DAS 4 Pro with MX Blues super annoyingly loud (and I work in tech!).

I'd say they are pretty good switches, they feel somewhere in between the MX clears and my HHKB Type S, both in terms of resistance, feel, and noise.

Offline PaulRivers

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 13:50:52 »

Matias Quiet Clicks are great switches. Compared to MX Blues they are smoother, more tactile, and actuate higher up. I would say that the noise is comparable to any regular rubber dome you'd find in an office. They're the quietest switches you will find besides Topre. They do have a soft feeling when bottoming out because they are dampened with some rubber but they do not feel mushy. 

The keyboard is built pretty well and has a nice smooth matte finish. The stock keycaps aren't very good, they are thin laser etched ABS. At mechanicalkeyboards.com for a little bit more you can upgrade the keycaps to Tai-Hao doubleshots which come in olivette and dolch colors and I would recommend it.

I ran across your post looking for a similar topic as the OP, this is the v80 on mechanicalkeyboards.com -
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3846

But I don't see an option for other key caps?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 17:10:02 »

I ran across your post looking for a similar topic as the OP, this is the v80 on mechanicalkeyboards.com -
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3846

But I don't see an option for other key caps?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0&s[search]=v80+matias