Author Topic: GMMK TKL w/ Gateron Silent Brown/Red or Plum84 w/ Topre clone  (Read 3367 times)

Offline gokufire

GMMK TKL w/ Gateron Silent Brown/Red or Plum84 w/ Topre clone
« on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 12:32:53 »
Hi,

Recently I ordered the GMMK TKL barebones keyboard, it is my home but I didn't even open the box, I can return it. I started to think if I shouldn't use a different board and did some research and found the Plum 84. I can't decide which one of the two would be a better fit for me. Let me list the things that are similar that I liked and the things that are different that I'm not so sure. I'd be using it basically more for gaming.

Similar
- RGB
- PBT Cherry caps (I ordered a set and I'm waiting it to arrive)

Difference
- Switches (here is where I need more help/advice) - Gateron Brown or Red Silent vs Topre Clone 35g - Typing, Quietness and Quality ?
- Layout (personally I prefer the Plum84 75% compact over the TKL, but I can live easy with the TKL)

I'm sure that there are much more to look over but I really don't have enough knowledge to decide. Could someone bring me some points about this two contester ? Here are the links of the two of them:

Plum 84
https://www.nizkeyboard.com/product/plum-84-ec-mechanical-keyboard-rgb-or-non-rgb/

GMMK
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-modular-mechanical-pc-gaming-keyboard-tenkeyless-tkl-87-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

There is also the Realforce TKL RGB using Topre announced for the next year, but I'm not even sure if it will be compatible with my Cherry Keycaps:
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1082087.html

Thanks

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
Re: GMMK TKL w/ Gateron Silent Brown/Red or Plum84 w/ Topre clone
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 18:41:50 »
Cherry MX and Topre or Topre clones are completely different switches.

What are you wanting to use the keyboard for primarily? Most people who play FPS games and the like prefer MX Reds so they can tap quickly if needed. Gateron Browns are smoother than Cherry MX Brown IMO and feel better. It would be a good compromise for typing and gaming and would be my personal recommendation for you to start.

If you're interested in trying Topre I would say forget about the Plum and get your hands on a real Topre board like an HHKB or Realforce. They are very different in feel from Cherry MX switches. In layman's terms, Topre feels more "pillowy" and Cherry MX switches are more "snappy" in feel.

Keyboard and switch feel is really very subjective and it's hard to recommend one switch or keyboard type over the other. It's Apples and Oranges really.

Your best bet is to try them out and if it isn't your style, sell it and try another. I know that sounds like an odd recommendation but really nothing can replicate real world use of a keyboard over time instead of relying on something like a switch tester or typing on a keyboard for a few hours.

Oh and one last thing the Realforce TKL RGB that you're talking about I very much doubt it will be compatible with your Cherry MX keycaps unless you buy sliders since Topre boards use proprietary stems.

Google Topre MX sliders and go from there.

Offline gokufire

Re: GMMK TKL w/ Gateron Silent Brown/Red or Plum84 w/ Topre clone
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 12:28:01 »
Thank you!