Author Topic: [GB] 75% Aluminum Case (Shipping)  (Read 106210 times)

Offline Petch

Re: [GB] 75% Aluminum Case (Shipping)
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 16:43:46 »
I have noticed the SMD diode on the key that isn't working is flipped compared to the rest. I've no idea how these work, but I'm guessing the positive/negative are the wrong way around? Or does it not matter?

If so, this could be my problem.

Also, I noticed a scratch on the anodising (just took it out of the box, so it came like this). Does anyone have any tips for hiding it? It stands out quite a lot in the light, some black permanent marker or nail varnish or something?
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 March 2017, 16:55:51 by Petch »

Offline Tally810

« Reply #351 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 16:50:47 »
I have noticed the SMD diode on the key that isn't working is flipped compared to the rest. I've no idea how these work, but I'm guessing the positive/negative are the wrong way around? Or does it not matter?

If so, this could be my problem.
Yea I just had the same thing happen on a different pcb.  If a diode is placed the wrong way then that is your problem and I'm 95 percent sure of that.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline skimzor

« Reply #352 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 22:01:16 »
Uhhh.. All these issues with the PCB and anodizing makes me nervous.

Is there any quality control being done on these before they are shipped out? 

Offline Petch

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 02:46:04 »

Doesn't look like it, full list of issues

• Plate isn't ISO, doesn't support switch top removal, odd cut-outs in some places (never communicated until we started receiving them)
  • PCB has QC issues
  • Brass plate screwed in with very rusty screws
  • Minor scratch/anodising defect

Which is a shame because otherwise the case is very nice, and despite the delays, everything was nicely packaged and I had no issues with customs
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 02:50:53 by Petch »

Offline eddible

« Reply #354 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 02:51:49 »
bdtbinh, are you going to respond to any of this? You were online reading this thread when I posted in the first place about the plate. The guys who have received nothing need an update as to why and when, and those who have need a resolution to the complete lack of QC. I'm thinking a partial refund is the only acceptable solution here.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 03:00:24 »

Doesn't look like it, full list of issues

• Plate isn't ISO, doesn't support switch top removal, odd cut-outs in some places (never communicated until we started receiving them)
  • PCB has QC issues
  • Brass plate screwed in with very rusty screws
  • Minor scratch/anodising defect

Which is a shame because otherwise the case is very nice, and despite the delays, everything was nicely packaged and I had no issues with customs

I can confirm, that i had:
1) rusty screws
2) no ISO Support Plate (needed to dremel, which i shouldn't have to at such a pricy plate)
3) PCB had some unsoldered diodes/resistors
4) although i have no anodizing, the rusty screws messed a but with my brass plate.

IMHO, although the PCB is from winkeyless (i assume), i never had issues with their PCBs, neither unsoldered joints, nor similar issues.

Offline eddible

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 03:02:49 »
Yeah there's no way the soldering was done by Winkeyless. Their work is really neat.

Offline Petch

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 03:12:04 »
Anyone know what screws are used for the weight so I can replace them?

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 03:24:06 »
Anyone know what screws are used for the weight so I can replace them?
M5 * 8mm Screen in head.

Offline Petch

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 03:53:42 »

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.

Offline Petch

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 04:34:32 »
Thanks Thumper

£15 for anodizing touch-up products (to hide the scratch), desoldering equipment I've had to order to flip the diode, extra work/compromise on the ISO plate, replacement screws... All after a 3 month delay. I think eddible is right, a partial refund is in order.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 06:03:31 »
Yeah there's no way the soldering was done by Winkeyless. Their work is really neat.

Maybe those are b.fake pcbs? I really hope not, as we bought them under the assumption those are WKL pcbs. Strange is, that i dont have a b.mini branding on the pcb. my b.87 and b.face pcb both had this marking...  :confused:

Offline eddible

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 06:04:54 »

Maybe those are b.fake pcbs? I really hope not, as we bought them under the assumption those are WKL pcbs. Strange is, that i dont have a b.mini branding on the pcb. my b.87 and b.face pcb both had this marking...  :confused:

Mine is the same. I think they are WKR ones because the b.fake's don't support ISO, they're ANSI only.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 06:24:13 »

Mine is the same. I think they are WKR ones because the b.fake's don't support ISO, they're ANSI only.
Ah okay. BTW, just noticed this issue with my LEDs.. will investigate this evening why it's not working.. probably a missing solder joint.

Offline Petch

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:21:20 »
Comparing our PCBs to the images here http://winkeyless.kr/soldering-guide/

I think it's safe to say these were NOT pre-soldered by WKL. The missing solder (and flipped diode in my case) are also giveaways

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:42:49 »
Comparing our PCBs to the images here http://winkeyless.kr/soldering-guide/

I think it's safe to say these were NOT pre-soldered by WKL. The missing solder (and flipped diode in my case) are also giveaways

So he charged full price for a Winkeyless PCB that he ended up soldering incorrectly himself? This is scary, if mine arrives like this I probably won't be able to fix it with the tools I have.

The rusty screws and lack of quality control is scary too..
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:56:22 by Unforgivable »

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 08:59:49 »
I'm going to wait for mine to arrive to pass any judgement but so far things aren't sounding promising.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #368 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:28:11 »
Update please bdtbinh. About to run out of time before I need to open a paypal dispute and mine still hasn't shipped.

Offline bdtbinh

• In Geek I trust
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 11:16:29 »
For those who have received the package and feeling unhappy with it, i really understand and will work with you until thing turn GOOD for both sides, no worry.
For those who have not received the package, even the refund deadline is passed, i still accepting partial refund for you in case you have problem with your package, too. Because this is not my 1st and last group buy, i still have many projects to come in the future.
All i ask is the patience and understanding for me to make this GB right for all members in it, also i'm willing to refund for you because it is all my fault, but half the price of the package is just too much for me to endure.
So please stay calm and continue to work with me until this GB is finished and everyone is happy.
Thanks all :)

Offline eddible

« Reply #370 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 11:32:56 »
For those who have received the package and feeling unhappy with it, i really understand and will work with you until thing turn GOOD for both sides, no worry.
For those who have not received the package, even the refund deadline is passed, i still accepting partial refund for you in case you have problem with your package, too. Because this is not my 1st and last group buy, i still have many projects to come in the future.
All i ask is the patience and understanding for me to make this GB right for all members in it, also i'm willing to refund for you because it is all my fault, but half the price of the package is just too much for me to endure.
So please stay calm and continue to work with me until this GB is finished and everyone is happy.

If you're able to approve the partial refund I requested on PayPal I'll be able to deal with the issues myself.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 01:47:07 by eddible »

Offline bdtbinh

• In Geek I trust
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 11:43:47 »
Also, the PCB was purchased from Winkeyless but it could not be soldered by them cause it will cost 85$ (without shipping), 50$ is just barely the naked PCB + shipping...

Offline onlinelife

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:34:38 »
Would this pcb fit in the case?

http://winkeyless.kr/product/b-mini-x2-pcb/

If so I would just like a refund for the pcb and buy it directly from them with all the components soldered in.
Pending the arrival of my kit and inspection....

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:37:11 »

If so I would just like a refund for the pcb and buy it directly from them with all the components soldered in.
That's the pcb we get - although not soldered by them. However, if you can solder it's easier to fix the pcb, there are just minor issues.

Offline Petch

« Reply #374 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:18:34 »

If your diodes ending missing solder from this group buy (likely) that's not TOO hard to fix, but if one of them is installed the wrong way like on mine you better be good at desoldering tiny components... I'm probably going to have to send mine off to someone with better equipment and more experience, which is adding more cost to an already very expensive keyboard.

Offline onlinelife

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:31:11 »

If your diodes ending missing solder from this group buy (likely) that's not TOO hard to fix, but if one of them is installed the wrong way like on mine you better be good at desoldering tiny components... I'm probably going to have to send mine off to someone with better equipment and more experience, which is adding more cost to an already very expensive keyboard.

I think that may be in the boat that I will be in. I have a simple soldering iron but can't do any fancy stuff.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 05:58:24 »

Meh. My 180 days end on 23 April. If there isn't either a keyboard or tracking link by the day before then I will raise an issue with PP.
I like keyboards

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:01:19 »

Ist there a resistor missing next to the iso enter (the lower one)? I'm asking, as my whole asdfghjjl row doesn't light up...

Edit: just saw they are missing for the whole row. That's unacceptable.

Can someone please give me the I fo which resistor I need so I can buy them myself?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:04:24 by Thumper_ »

Offline Petch

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:22:55 »
    If this GB was more transparent and we were told the PCB's weren't prepared by WKL I would have opted out and just bought one directly.

Going to attempt to correct the flipped SMD diode on my board tonight but I don't have much confidence I'll succeed.

To be constructive if OP organises another GB...
    • be clear on what we're actually getting (everyone seemed to think these boards were pre-soldered by WKL, this was not the case and I don't think anyone has received a PCB that is 100% functional)
    • update everyone when there is a problem - the ISO plate was no longer ISO and no longer supported switch-tpo removal, the 2 reasons anyone would have opted for this plate over the other one... and they were both removed without any communication
    • updates in general, over 3 months late with very little communication whatsoever
    • give meaningful responses to issues rather than going days without communication, only to give excuses
    [

I think any future GBs are going to be unpopular given the experience we've had...
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:34:48 by Petch »

Offline eddible

[GB] 75% Aluminum Case (Shipping)
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:47:54 »
Couldn't agree more with Petch.

Offline eddible

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:49:50 »
Show Image

Ist there a resistor missing next to the iso enter (the lower one)? I'm asking, as my whole asdfghjjl row doesn't light up...

Edit: just saw they are missing for the whole row. That's unacceptable.
Show Image
Show Image

Can someone please give me the I fo which resistor I need so I can buy them myself?

I think you need these resistors: http://winkeyless.kr/product/chip-resistor-2012-size/

Offline Will_26

« Reply #381 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:32:57 »
Yep - a simple update months ago with "Here is a photo of the carbon plate", would mean we would have noticed the issue with the cut outs and it could have been sorted. 

Instead, lack of communication means OP now has to refund $50 x however many Carbon plates were sold. There are definitely lessons to be learnt from this group buy.

bdtbinh please could you respond to my PM asap

Offline skimzor

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:35:42 »
So... Has shipping resumed?

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #383 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 10:29:24 »
So just now my board started to act up. No clue what's wrong ... As soon as I connect it it lights up (normal) and when I do try first keypress it activates (like pushed) right Ctrl, F10, U, I, and two more iso keys next to enter...
I already tried: clear eprom, reflashing firmware, reflashing keymap.
I assume it's a pcb/firmware issue as it's persistent between multiple computers and even with no switches in said slots the keys get pressed.

Does anyone has a clue how to fix this?:(

Edit: just saw there is a short on the atmega... Row 13 is shorted.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:42:51 by Thumper_ »

Offline Petch

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:18:11 »
Well, good luck with that  :-[

I managed to remove and refit my flipped smd diode, all keys working now.

I swapped the screws for ones that aren't rusty, there was a weird residue under the weight so you guys might want to check for that (there was a puddle at each screw hole)

Offline Will_26

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 05:51:36 »
Petch which screws did you go for in the end? :) 

4 days since the last update and no response to my PM. This is getting a bit silly. Was told I would have my board last week, we're now at the end of the week later and not even shipped as far as I'm aware. I hate to think how long I would have had to wait if I'd kept my assembled option? Anyway, few more days OP before I'm opening the paypal dispute. Please keep to your word from a couple of weeks ago where you said updates will be every two days.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 05:56:23 »
Will, I took M5*8mm countersunk screw in silver metal ;)

Offline Will_26

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 07:12:51 »
Thanks Thumper_ :)

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #388 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 08:04:59 »

I swapped the screws for ones that aren't rusty, there was a weird residue under the weight so you guys might want to check for that (there was a puddle at each screw hole)

Wait, a puddle of reside? Was it easily removed? Hopefully everyone got their tetanus shot, just in case, due to the rusty screws.

bdtbinh, can you please replace the rusty screws with non-rusty screws for the orders you haven't shipped?

« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2017, 08:07:25 by Unforgivable »

Offline bdtbinh

• In Geek I trust
« Reply #389 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 06:47:35 »

Wait, a puddle of reside? Was it easily removed? Hopefully everyone got their tetanus shot, just in case, due to the rusty screws.

bdtbinh, can you please replace the rusty screws with non-rusty screws for the orders you haven't shipped?

Yes, i will. Sorry for that :(
All left orders will be send before the end of next week, if i can not make it, i will refund for you.
This gb really  stressed me out cause many things go wrong, but all just because of my reckless :(
Thanks everyone again for your support :)

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #390 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 08:46:10 »
I just wanted to recap my board.
Although the GB could have been better communicated (ISO plate, delays, etc) i have a really nice board. The rusty screws were changeable for 2€, some resistors which were missing were a fix of 1,8€ + some soldering.
I have 0 anodizing issues, the brass plate is really heavy and the iso plate is - after dremeling ISO support) - sturdy and really solid. And altough the pcb was soldered by bdtbinh himself instead of winkeyless (which reflects in the price) there were no flaws on what he did ;)

All in all i would rebuy, if the GB would be more transparent.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #391 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 06:31:57 »
Please could we have an update bdtbinh. 

You are not replying to my PMs or paypal dispute messages. I'm not interested in a refund, I just want to receive the board I paid for nearly 6 months ago. As I've said in PMs, I'm not even interested in the PCB/Plate/Switches etc if it's going to cause further delays, just send me the case or at least give me any information so I know what's happening. As Thumper_ said, transparency would go a long way for this group buy and reinstil some trust from the participants. Regardless of whether your updates are bad news or no news at all, they are still important and keep us aware that you are around and working on it. 

Simply avoiding the thread and ignoring messages will not do you any good for future buys that you want to organise. If you want to run more group buys more professionally and transparently, why not start now and finish this one with regular updates for the customers that have paid for a keyboard kit that should have been sent to them many months ago. 

I understand the group buy has been stressful for you because of the issues; however there is no benefit for you in ignoring the participants. If problems arise, you should update the participants and discuss them with us so that we can work together to tackle the problem and agree on a solution, rather than take the entire problem on yourself. It will only cause further issues down the line. 

Do not over promise too. A few weeks ago you said updates from you would be every 2 days, but it was very short lived. If you feel you will be able to provide updates every 4/5 days, then let people know you will update them weekly and you can over deliver. 

Any communication is good communication. So please could you kindly provide us with an update on the status of the group buy. Thank you.

Offline skimzor

« Reply #392 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 09:45:20 »
Anyone get a tracking number yet?

Planning on opening a PayPal dispute at the end of the week if I don't hear anything.

Offline Petch

« Reply #393 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:14:41 »
I had a dispute for a week which he didn't reply to, so I escalated it  :(

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:39:13 »
Anyone get a tracking number yet?

Planning on opening a PayPal dispute at the end of the week if I don't hear anything.

No tracking number yet. He said if he didn't send out this week, he'd provide full refunds to those who wanted one.

I originally jumped on one of the 2 extras back in late December since it was a week away from completion. It's April now..I think I rather get a refund at this point. We'll see.

I don't mean to be mean, but the communication is lacking indeed. I'm not sure why logging in for a few minutes can't be done. :(

Edit: Clarified a few things.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:55:43 by Unforgivable »

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:40:42 »

Finally the build is complete.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #396 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:52:13 »
Show Image

Wow! Wait, is that a wolverine claw? Where did you get that from?  :eek:

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:52:45 »
Show Image

My GF gifted it me some years ago. Was from massdrop.

Offline onlinelife

« Reply #398 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 10:59:06 »
Show Image

Brand is called holyOOPS

http://www.geekkeys.com/holyoops/?sort=featured&page=1

Offline skimzor

« Reply #399 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 12:12:45 »
So..... any updates?