Author Topic: [IC] Norbauer CoolerMaster (Novatouch, Rapid-i, Masterkeys) CNC cases, round 2!  (Read 23073 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Well, I'm happy to observe that my last run of CNC cases for CoolerMaster TKL keyboards appears to have been rather more of a success than I had anticipated, if feedback on GeekHack, YouTube, and here on GeekHack is any indication. As a result, people keep asking me to do a follow-up, so here we are. :)

If you're interested and you haven't yet done so, please complete complete this two-question survey.

Secondly, if you aren't already on my email list, sign-up to be notified before anyone else when the group buy goes live.

The only design change is a slight increase in the depth of the pocket of the flanged retaining screw, since I observed some variability in plate thickness among CoolerMaster cases in this regard. This small change will account for that and ensure a snug fit even on slightly out-of-tolerance cases (well, according to my tolerances anyway) that have shorter side struts.

Finishes: Anodized aluminum. Still waiting on final poll results for colors.

Price: Base price $205 with some optional upgrades (including riser feet and exotic finishes).
Shipping (including cost of packing materials): $14 USA, $55 Australia and New Zealand, $45 everywhere else. All methods fast and tracked.

Group buy duration: 2-3 weeks.
Production lead time after completion of group buy: 6-8 weeks.
Start of group buy: TBD. I'm open to feedback. :)

Once again, if you're interested, please please complete complete this two-question survey, and let me know any other thoughts you may have here in this thread.

Onward we march, fellow keyboard soldiers!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:57:56 by norbauer »

Offline Vigrith

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
Ya'll need to vote for dark green.

Offline mr scooty

yayayayayay

Offline zslane

I'm thinking I should have voted for blue now since I'm considering putting GMK Nautilus on my NovaTouch. Doh!  :-\

Offline Data

I keep having to convince myself that I don't need this.  I don't own any of the compatible boards.  So to use it I'd have to BUY one of those boards and rip the important bits out (of a brand new board) to make any meaningful use of this case.  Can't justify that level of extravagance right now.

It's a beautiful and incredibly tempting case though.

Offline autobot

So excited for this!

Regardless of the polling color, will there be a "universal" color offered, either like an annodized charcoal/gunmetal gray or silver?

If so, hopefully it's not black. If I'm putting my keyboard in a metal case, I want it to look like metal!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:59:43 by autobot »

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
yas  :thumb:
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
That's what is up!

Offline norbauer

I've also been thinking about making some nylon ("tactical style") keyboard carry cases to go with the next group buy, which should fit any TKL boards. Would anybody have any interest in such a thing? I used to own an industrial sewing machine and use to play around with making bags, backpacks, etc., and have always thought it would be fun to design something like this. When I was lugging my keyboard case to and from the NorCal meetup recently the idea occurred to me that it would be cool to have a custom case to schlep it around in. :)

I am thinking something in the "Goruck" style, basically a slimmed down version of this:

Or kind of like this bag by Jack Spade

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:33:47 by norbauer »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Super interested in the case because of the shape, but is there a way I can get an aftermarket pcb and plate to work with it? :)
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline clappingcactus

As per previous PMs, I'd be interested in the white powder coating. Excited to see if it becomes an option! :)

Offline mr scooty

I've also been thinking about making some nylon ("tactical style") keyboard carry cases to go with the next group buy, which should fit any TKL boards. Would anybody have any interest in such a thing? I used to own an industrial sewing machine and use to play around with making bags, backpacks, etc., and have always thought it would be fun to design something like this. When I was lugging my keyboard case to and from the NorCal meetup recently the idea occurred to me that it would be cool to have a custom case to schlep it around in. :)

I am thinking something in the "Goruck" style, basically a slimmed down version of this:

Show Image

Show Image

With a nice design I'd be in for one!  :thumb:

Offline nurbs

Count me in! May have to buy another Novatouch, or maybe resolder a rapid-i or masterkeys with 68g Gateron blacks.

Offline superpiya

Yay round 2! I'm in  ;D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
I'm in for both the CNC Case as well as the bag that you're thinking about!  :thumb:

Offline Lipton

Show Image

Show Image

I love my keyboard case now thanks! :D ughs don't want to get carried away with another NovaTouch hehe, but I would DEFS be interested in the GoRuck style carry case for this baby ;)

Offline usopia

I'm in. Want this case absolutely!

Offline JDragon

A bag would be sweet, I'd be down for one (depending on price point).

Offline zslane

May have to buy another Novatouch...

How do you propose to do that?

Offline cynviloq

May have to buy another Novatouch...

How do you propose to do that?

He could buy it off r/mm...or classifieds...

Offline norbauer

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I should probably do a separate IC on the carry cases not to confuse matters, but I'm currently working on a prototype and will start a thread once I have more details. It looks like it may take a bit of time to develop and thus I may not hold off r2 for the carry case.

Thanks also to those who have filled out the survey so far. Keep 'em coming if you're thinking about getting a case.

It looks like the most likely colors will be: charcoal gray (anodized) and dark blue (anodized), both of which would be offered in either bead-blasted or brushed (with upgrade cost TBD) finishes. I'll have pictures of both to show soon. I'll keep an eye on the survey results, however, and if it turns out we have the numbers, I may add a third color.

Out of curiosity: is there anybody who would otherwise get a case who would sit out the run of gray and blue are the colors offered? (That's one thing I forgot to ask in the survey.)

Offline bciamny

mmm something something green case.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
Gotta have a white one ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline eksuen

Out of curiosity: is there anybody who would otherwise get a case who would sit out the run of gray and blue are the colors offered? (That's one thing I forgot to ask in the survey.)

mmm something something green case.

Offline deterouni

I would be down for a case.

Offline Dystopia

I want this but my wallet isn't ready yet :(

Offline naps250

Semi-interested. I narrowly missed the first round. Glad you're doing a second one.

It seems to me that the "border" if I can call it that is thicker on this case than the original plastic one. Can you provide some number so I can envision the change?
Also what is the case on the left in the second picture?

Thanks!  :)

Offline need

Please do Enigma black, it's so baddass.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
Count me in for R2, dark blue would be amazing  8)

Offline afrokobe

will you not be running a case for the rf during round 2 as previously stated?

Offline cmc

Count me in for R2, dark blue would be amazing  8)

With Dasher/Dancer!

Offline DannyHuynh

The case is amazing, keep the interest high boys!

Btw, the more I look at it, the more I want a SA Galaxy Class set. I wonder if you could make it happen with SA Uniform R3 Dye-Sub?  :-* :-*

Offline LoLPirate

Missed out on round 1 and Oco sale. Won't be making the same mistake twice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline zslane

Charcoal gray and dark blue are awesome color choices! I'd be sorely tempted to get both!

The only other two colors I'd be interested in are white and tan.

Offline clickstops

Just wanna say that if you're considering this maybe, DO IT. You will no regret it. Fantastic case, makes my sphered nova my favorite topre board for sure. So stable, so heavy. Plus norbauer does an awesome job with the GB.

Offline zslane

I totally believe you. It all comes down to the color choices...

Offline superpiya

We still get the silver color no matter what, right?

Offline Atredl

We still get the silver color no matter what, right?

Silver is a separate anodization color (clear ano). Unless it's specifically mentioned, I wouldn't count on it.

Offline norbauer

Sorry, I mentioned this in another thread but forgot to say it here: I do plan to do a RealForce case at some point soon, but I decided not to hold this second CoolerMaster case round up for it. It just makes things too complicated to do two at once, with not too much benefit. Also, doing a second round of the CoolerMaster cases will help me raise a bit of money to use for the rather expensive prototyping process that I'll need to go through with the machine shop once my RealForce case CAD model is done. :)

Offline autobot

Charcoal gray sounds great! I would also buy silver if it's offered in this run.  ;)

Offline zslane

Sorry, I mentioned this in another thread but forgot to say it here: I do plan to do a RealForce case at some point soon, but I decided not to hold this second CoolerMaster case round up for it. It just makes things too complicated to do two at once, with not too much benefit. Also, doing a second round of the CoolerMaster cases will help me raise a bit of money to use for the rather expensive prototyping process that I'll need to go through with the machine shop once my RealForce case CAD model is done. :)

Which RealForce case are we talking about? Only the 87U?

Offline norbauer

Which RealForce case are we talking about? Only the 87U?

Yes, and any others with the same plate configuration (there are some others made by RF, I believe).

Regarding the color questions, I want to hold off before giving a final answer until I get a quote back from the shop on a per-color basis. I'm trying to keep the number of color options down this time so we can qualify for the MOQs at a higher-end anodizing vendor. As soon as I know something you guys will too. :)

Offline krutmob

Checking in to say I'm super down for this. Filled out survey.

Is there a definitive list of TKL boards this is compatible with, other than the Novatouch?

Offline norbauer

Is there a definitive list of TKL boards this is compatible with, other than the Novatouch?

Thanks! The dark gray and dark blue prototypes are on their way to me as of today. I'm currently figuring out some final logistical details and hope to be able to get rolling on r2 within a couple of weeks.

Regarding the cases that I know fit for sure: it's Novatouch, Rapid-i, and MasterKeys TKL, all by CoolerMaster.

Offline Geroximo

I voted "ready to buy not earlier than 1 month from now", I changed my mind, I'm ready asap  :))

Offline eksuen

Thanks! The dark gray and dark blue prototypes are on their way to me as of today. I'm currently figuring out some final logistical details and hope to be able to get rolling on r2 within a couple of weeks.

Regarding the cases that I know fit for sure: it's Novatouch, Rapid-i, and MasterKeys TKL, all by CoolerMaster.

Any word on whether you'll be offering custom colors like R1?

Offline norbauer

Any word on whether you'll be offering custom colors like R1?

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to offer that an officially advertised thing or not like last time. (It turned out to be a ton of extra work for me to coordinate the logistics between the factory and anodizing place.) But if for some reason I don't offer that in the checkout, eksuen (and anybody else who feels particularly strongly about a special color choice you want), you can always get in touch with me directly and we can figure something out. I try to be flexible so people end up happy with whatever they get. :)

Offline eksuen

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to offer that an officially advertised thing or not like last time. (It turned out to be a ton of extra work for me to coordinate the logistics between the factory and anodizing place.) But if for some reason I don't offer that in the checkout, eksuen (and anybody else who feels particularly strongly about a special color choice you want), you can always get in touch with me directly and we can figure something out. I try to be flexible so people end up happy with whatever they get. :)

Understood.  :thumb:

Offline orpheo

Dark Blue is pretty men... Charcoal is very basic.
Your choice of champagne in round 1 was way more classy.
I mean do you see dark blue anodized phones? Cmon!

Something like classy color please!