Author Topic: Wood Jointers  (Read 211 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Wood Jointers
« on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:29:03 »
Does anyone have one of those Cheapee  Jointers ?  /small non-industrial ones ~$200

How well do they work..

Tp4 just needs it to sure up some 2by4s.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Wood Jointers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:41:24 »
Huh? What are you talking about? Biscuit-slot cutting machines?
Daily driver: Phantom (Lubed Cherry MX Clear, Lasered Cherry PBT keycaps with Row A. Plastic "Frankencase". Custom firmware, Swedish layout)
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Online nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:50:55 »
tp4 you gotta ease up on the other type of joints before posting on the internets

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • I support our troops even if the gov doesn't
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:53:42 »
Huh? What are you talking about? Biscuit-slot cutting machines?

I think he is referring to a younger that squares up adjacent faces.
Hacked up and modded IBM F AT, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich
New Thread Soon for Hickory Smoked Three Cheese Italian Blend, NOT KEYBOARD related Opening Tonight
IBM F Revival Services Now with VIDEO

Offline OfTheWild

• Formerly boostdemon
  • Make things. Have fun.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 22:37:23 »
$200 jointer might be worth it if its an old Jet or Grizzly thats been in someones possession for while. You get what you pay for usually though, and with quality you get to dial it in and not have to keep tweaking it every time you run something gnarly through it.. You might like something like this which i've used before: http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-28-Benchtop-Jointer/G0725?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com
-Dana

Ducky Pro G2 | MiniVan | HHKB Type-S | Sentraq S60-X | WhiteFox Aria | KBParadise V80 | Leopold fc200rt | IBM Model-F XT
Invyr 'Pandas'__________Salmon ALPS___55g Hasu Bluetooth ____Zealios 67/78g___________Cherry Clear Variable____Cream 'dampened' ALPS_____Cherry 'Jailhouse' Blues_____Buckling

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 00:36:27 »
Wood working stuff is often good to buy older, used stuff.

You can get parts and repair older stuff, and it won't fall apart.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/Vortex case, hand milled case, custom feet, custom paint, Klaxxon key caps, lubed and o-ringed Jailhouse Blues made from vintage Cherry MX Blues, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, removable cord, sound dampened. Winkey blockoff plate | Magicforce 68 w/Outemu Blues |KBT Race S L.E. w/Ergo-Clears, custom WASD keyset | Das Pro w/browns (Costar model) | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 03:59:41 »
$200 jointer might be worth it if its an old Jet or Grizzly thats been in someones possession for while. You get what you pay for usually though, and with quality you get to dial it in and not have to keep tweaking it every time you run something gnarly through it.. You might like something like this which i've used before: http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-28-Benchtop-Jointer/G0725?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Yea,  this is type of machine I'm looking at..

I feel like,  I'd probably need a jointer   and a thickness planar..

seems like for most --wood-- stuff,  they go hand in hand.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 04:00:01 »
tp4 you gotta ease up on the other type of joints before posting on the internets

Tp4 no do drugs.. !!

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
  • "Losing the digital battle one digit at a time."
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:06:58 »
Jointers, like the one pictured above, usually work pretty well initially but aren't made for heavy use. If you need to surface or square a few smaller boards occasionally, that class of tool should work fine. If you plan to frequently joint anything over six feet long a more robust used tool may be a better choice. I have a cheap Delta that's similar to the Grizzly shown above that I sometime take to the job site; its light weight makes it handy. Just realize that it's not going to replace the 500 pound shop version.

Remember to keep your fingers out of the knives. It can dull the blades quickly. :)

Online noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:32:37 »

Yea,  this is type of machine I'm looking at..

I feel like,  I'd probably need a jointer   and a thickness planar..

seems like for most --wood-- stuff,  they go hand in hand.

Yeah if you're squaring up a bunch of rough stuff that would be the best.  Kurplop has good advice too.  Start watching craigslist
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky