Author Topic: Wood Jointers  (Read 1913 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Wood Jointers
« on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:29:03 »
Does anyone have one of those Cheapee  Jointers ?  /small non-industrial ones ~$200

How well do they work..

Tp4 just needs it to sure up some 2by4s.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Wood Jointers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:41:24 »
Huh? What are you talking about? Biscuit-slot cutting machines?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:50:55 »
tp4 you gotta ease up on the other type of joints before posting on the internets

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:53:42 »
Huh? What are you talking about? Biscuit-slot cutting machines?

I think he is referring to a younger that squares up adjacent faces.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 22:37:23 »
$200 jointer might be worth it if its an old Jet or Grizzly thats been in someones possession for while. You get what you pay for usually though, and with quality you get to dial it in and not have to keep tweaking it every time you run something gnarly through it.. You might like something like this which i've used before: http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-28-Benchtop-Jointer/G0725?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com
-Dana

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 00:36:27 »
Wood working stuff is often good to buy older, used stuff.

You can get parts and repair older stuff, and it won't fall apart.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 03:59:41 »
$200 jointer might be worth it if its an old Jet or Grizzly thats been in someones possession for while. You get what you pay for usually though, and with quality you get to dial it in and not have to keep tweaking it every time you run something gnarly through it.. You might like something like this which i've used before: http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-28-Benchtop-Jointer/G0725?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Yea,  this is type of machine I'm looking at..

I feel like,  I'd probably need a jointer   and a thickness planar..

seems like for most --wood-- stuff,  they go hand in hand.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 04:00:01 »
tp4 you gotta ease up on the other type of joints before posting on the internets

Tp4 no do drugs.. !!

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:06:58 »
Jointers, like the one pictured above, usually work pretty well initially but aren't made for heavy use. If you need to surface or square a few smaller boards occasionally, that class of tool should work fine. If you plan to frequently joint anything over six feet long a more robust used tool may be a better choice. I have a cheap Delta that's similar to the Grizzly shown above that I sometime take to the job site; its light weight makes it handy. Just realize that it's not going to replace the 500 pound shop version.

Remember to keep your fingers out of the knives. It can dull the blades quickly. :)

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:32:37 »

Yea,  this is type of machine I'm looking at..

I feel like,  I'd probably need a jointer   and a thickness planar..

seems like for most --wood-- stuff,  they go hand in hand.

Yeah if you're squaring up a bunch of rough stuff that would be the best.  Kurplop has good advice too.  Start watching craigslist
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 21:26:34 »
I've used a Thickness Planer to do some cleanup of rough lumber and a couple of really nice pieces of pauduk(sp?) that had developed a bit of a curl as it dried. I think the one my neighbor had that i used was this one from Dewalt: http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-dw734-12-1-2-in--thickness-planer/dewndw734,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=726&zmap=dewndw734&gclid=CjwKEAjw5M3GBRCTvpK4osqj4X4SJAABRJNC7_JO6BqftJtah1yRgYeQvLsp7A_gFGLT1ZtFAEN9gBoCQSLw_wcB

Its not going to help you square up large panels for cabinetry or shelving type stuff though I have had decent success with a hand plane instead of a jointer.
-Dana