Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion, Group Buy is LIVE till May 19th  (Read 60508 times)

Offline Ouhei

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion, coming in April, feedback required!
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 10:33:41 »
On the SA set the labels were centered and in this set they do not seem to be. Is that set in stone or is it a requirement of GMK or what? IMHO it looks far better with centered labels.
This is a GMK thing afaik. I prefer the centered legends on SA myself as well, but this still looks great.

I loved the white alphas on the SA renders but these I'm leaning dark alphas for some reason. Depending on pricing breakdowns I think it'd be cool to do a modifiers kit and a alphas kit so people could do both without having to buy duplicate modifiers.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 10:40:43 »
On the SA set the labels were centered and in this set they do not seem to be. Is that set in stone or is it a requirement of GMK or what? IMHO it looks far better with centered labels.

They would not be centered, correct. It would not match with the other keys (alphas, TKL stuff etc) which would still be aligned to the left.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
[IC] GMK Oblivion, coming in April, feedback required!
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 11:39:56 »
I'm leaning towards the kit without legends (white and grey), but I like both. Just not too sure whether I should go with SA or GMK.

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:44:30 »
If possible, I just want the modifier  ;D.
That's why I think it's great to separate into 3 kits, mod, white alpha, and dark alpha

Offline skitty

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:47:52 »
So no GMK Ergodox or Planck  kit?  :( I'd love one even if a lot of keys were blank.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:24:09 »

They would not be centered, correct. It would not match with the other keys (alphas, TKL stuff etc) which would still be aligned to the left.

Thanks for clarification. For me all keys would need to be centered so thats a deal breaker for me, just personal preference on my part.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:37:03 »
If possible, I just want the modifier  ;D.
That's why I think it's great to separate into 3 kits, mod, white alpha, and dark alpha

I definitely agree actually - I know that's not common practice far as GMK buys go but with such a set I feel it may be warranted for 2 reasons;

1. there should be enough keys in each to make each kit reasonably priced, hopefully.
2. it's a super popular set that I'm sure will see success no matter what so hitting MOQ for each one of those should be no problem at all.

If that's possible then that'd be great.

Offline need

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:37:13 »
What kind of compatibility can we expect?

MX-type stems.

dude, in terms of layout obviously.

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:56:03 »
Think it would be better if the dark one had black legends.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 14:46:29 »
What kind of compatibility can we expect?

MX-type stems.

dude, in terms of layout obviously.

Very broad, 155 keys in the base sets right now. Will post them soon after more communication with GMK.

Think it would be better if the dark one had black legends.

Are you insane

Offline Acerk

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:34:52 »
Are you insane
Yeah, man. Every GMK group buy this last year has looked like a McDonald's play room for adults with ass burger.

GET EXTREME! LEDS EVERYWHERE! BRIGHT COLORZ! WOW! BLINDING! GAME HARD! NEXT LEVEL!

Last year on GeeHack:

Organizer: Remember that one group buy?
GeekHack: Yeah.
Organizer: Imagine instead of that one color, a slightly different color!
GeekHack: *Goes ballistic*
Sirens: Pew-pew-peeeeuuuuw
Organizer: *Drops mic*
GeekHack: 1.000.000 orders

But yeah, my feedback is buck the trend and go for timeless black legends. You're welcome!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:48:10 by Acerk »

Offline m3ll3n

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:21:08 »
Oblotzky, what's the color code for the off-white legends on the oblivion alphas? T9? Thanks.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:25:22 »
Oblotzky, what's the color code for the off-white legends on the oblivion alphas? T9? Thanks.

KEYCAP COLORS:
GMK-CP for White Alphas,
SP-GD for Gray Alphas,
SP-GQM (same as Carbon gray) for Modifiers,

LEGEND COLORS:
GMK-T9 for beige,
SP-OAV (orange/red)
SP-RCJ (purple)
SP-VAT (green)
SP-YBP (yellow)
SP-BFN (blue)

SP stuff (except for GQM which already exists due to Carbon) will have to be mixed.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 21:20:15 »
This set is ripe for separate alpha and mod kits.  On one hand it might cause some decrease in MOQ count as someone who really wants the mods might only buy mods, whereas with complete kits he might splurge for it all.  So instead of +1 for 1 of 2 kits, you get +1 for 1 of 3 kits.  On the other hand, more people would probably buy all three as a result to get both alpha colors and give +3, whereas before they would only buy one complete kit.  Just a thought.  after a glass of wine.
keyboards.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 03:00:12 »
More
KEYCAP COLORS:
GMK-CP for White Alphas,
SP-GD for Gray Alphas,
SP-GQM (same as Carbon gray) for Modifiers,

LEGEND COLORS:
GMK-T9 for beige,
SP-OAV (orange/red)
SP-RCJ (purple)
SP-VAT (green)
SP-YBP (yellow)
SP-BFN (blue)

SP stuff (except for GQM which already exists due to Carbon) will have to be mixed.

so this is pretty much a completely custom set

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 04:02:24 »
i definitely join the SA GB on MD but for gmk hmmmmm :rolleyes:, i think many ppl want to buy just the modifier because quarry looks like dolch, hagoromo looks like honeywell.

Offline rondg

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:01:00 »
I am totally in. 1800 support please.

Offline colbs

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:42:39 »
I'm in for both alphas.  I am also in for an ergodox set if that ends up in the GB (a man can dream, can't he?)

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 08:09:12 »
Are you insane
Yeah, man. Every GMK group buy this last year has looked like a McDonald's play room for adults with ass burger.

GET EXTREME! LEDS EVERYWHERE! BRIGHT COLORZ! WOW! BLINDING! GAME HARD! NEXT LEVEL!

Last year on GeeHack:

But yeah, my feedback is buck the trend and go for timeless black legends. You're welcome!
While I agree that a lot of sets that people go gaga over have too many weird colors, I disagree that this sell falls into that category. There's nothing flashy about white legends, and they're white to match the color scheme that this set is inspired by, so using black legends would kind of miss the point of the set.

Offline Acerk

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:13:10 »
While I agree that a lot of sets that people go gaga over have too many weird colors, I disagree that this sell falls into that category. There's nothing flashy about white legends, and they're white to match the color scheme that this set is inspired by, so using black legends would kind of miss the point of the set.

I don't know. I just get annoyed as hell waiting for a group buy for an understated GMK set, and every time I come here there's several new interest checks and group buys for variations of the same tired themes. Just beating a dead horse. Meanwhile, carbon black has been very popular on Realforce and HHKB keyboards, but no one has tried that for a GMK group buy. When people in hobbyist communities get more opportunities to customize their ****, they always move in the direction of infinite gaudiness. Two years from now, every set has to have at least 14 different colors, otherwise the people here will complain that it's unoriginal and doesn't quite tell their life story to people who may see their keyboards.

Classic Beige is better.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:16:36 »
i like the beige on gray alphas. i would also like to see git and specialty kits/keys available in GMK. and if window keys could be added, i would be so happy :D

Offline merintil

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:42:47 »

I don't know. I just get annoyed as hell waiting for a group buy for an understated GMK set, and every time I come here there's several new interest checks and group buys for variations of the same tired themes. Just beating a dead horse. Meanwhile, carbon black has been very popular on Realforce and HHKB keyboards, but no one has tried that for a GMK group buy. When people in hobbyist communities get more opportunities to customize their ****, they always move in the direction of infinite gaudiness. Two years from now, every set has to have at least 14 different colors, otherwise the people here will complain that it's unoriginal and doesn't quite tell their life story to people who may see their keyboards.

Classic Beige is better.

I definitely see where you are coming from. I think I even agree with you. At the same time, I also see other GBs (e.g. GMK Muted) that have an understated look or is not outstandingly gaudy. I may not prefer GMK Skeletor or whatever, but I do think that Oblivion isn't on that same level. I'll admit that I actually really like the colors on Oblivion, but I think they accent the keycaps rather than take the focus away from the main color of the alphas and the mods.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:48:00 »

Classic Beige is better.

I definitely see where you are coming from. I think I even agree with you. At the same time, I also see other GBs (e.g. GMK Muted) that have an understated look or is not outstandingly gaudy. I may not prefer GMK Skeletor or whatever, but I do think that Oblivion isn't on that same level. I'll admit that I actually really like the colors on Oblivion, but I think they accent the keycaps rather than take the focus away from the main color of the alphas and the mods.

here's another subtle set. i think it will be popular
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87842

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:54:06 »
This does not fall in to the gaudy category at all in my opinion.. and the colored legends need to stay because it's based on the Oblivion context theme, and otherwise it wouldn't make sense.  There's plenty of other N9 based sets with plain legends that you can mix and match with.  My 2 cents
keyboards.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:54:41 »
Oblotzky said he's considering doing the monochrome mods for the GMK version, so you'd be better suited trying to rally support for that rather than just complain about there being some mod legends of various colors.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:20:09 »
Good news everyone!

After evaluating the feedback, I have created the kits and sent them off to GMK. We just received the quotes and the pricing looks nice! I will now create more keyboard renders for a reveal of kits + moq + pricing on the weekend.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:29:28 »
Good news everyone!

After evaluating the feedback, I have created the kits and sent them off to GMK. We just received the quotes and the pricing looks nice! I will now create more keyboard renders for a reveal of kits + moq + pricing on the weekend.

SAAAAAAAAAA

WEEEEEEEEEET
keyboards.

Offline Oblotzky

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion, coming in April, big update coming this weekend
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:40:25 »
sneaky peaky for tomorrow

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 16:27:57 »
Show Image

:eek:

Why the heck my :eek: doesn't work????

Offline Liocer

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 17:31:14 »
Looking forward to  this :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 18:24:31 »
Make the modifiers available stand alone. They may mix well with other sets. Dolch, for example.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 19:02:08 »
Show Image

They look like G20 caps.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:01:29 »
Still no Norde kit?  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:08:42 »

NORDE kit for a GMK buy, especially one that's not being ran through Massdrop, is beyond wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:11:53 »
I'd prefer no icons or secondary labels. Still up in the air on alpha color.

Anyway we can get a render on a black KB instead of grey?

Offline pon10

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:45:37 »

NORDE kit for a GMK buy, especially one that's not being ran through Massdrop, is beyond wishful thinking I'm afraid.

I know, its unfortunate :'( but one could hope since the popularity of oblivion!:) the problem last time with terminal, that it was doomed hehe, shutting the gb down for the int'l kit halfway in especially when its not on massdrop..

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 06:02:11 »

Plus that there are two alpha colors.

Offline pon10

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 07:57:24 »

Plus that there are two alpha colors.

I know man! it will be tough.. i would be happy just with one alpha color to choose from :) 

Offline Oblotzky

Updated first post with new renders, kits and expected pricing!

GB launches in 2 weeks or so, maybe a bit earlier. Vendor will come forth soonish.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
I might have missed that bit of information but where are you going to sell that kit? I just know that it won't be on MD.

Edit: Forgot to say that but your renders look great. Depending on the price I might join.

Offline Oblotzky

I might have missed that bit of information but where are you going to sell that kit? I just know that it won't be on MD.

Edit: Forgot to say that but your renders look great. Depending on the price I might join.

Pricing is visible in the first post. Vendor will come forth in about a weeks time.

Offline ricyuyc

No Icon on legends for monochrome kit... :(

Offline Oblotzky

Why would I ditch them on the colored modifiers, but not the monochrome ones?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Why would you ditch them at all? :/

Offline ricyuyc

bcoz monochrome modifiers are generic enough to matchup with other keysets alpha, it do also give GMK oblivion a different outlook when incorporated with classic icons.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 March 2017, 09:45:39 by ricyuyc »

Offline Vigrith

Nice prices for this kinda set, was expecting something more toward $150 for sure; I'll probably pick up the white alphas base set at some point. Best of luck, man.

Offline lecorsair

Are you insane

Last year on GeeHack:

While I do agree with you there were sets put forth seemingly in the haphazard manner that you described, I can not disagree more with regards to Oblivion. If you read through his posts, at any given stages, you clearly sees that he's not only taking and considering various feedbacks but also explaining nuances for particular design decisions.

Offline mrboovn

The render looks awesome  :thumb: :thumb:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline oatmicro

I don't know why but I want to get both alphas right now.

this feeling shouldn't happen, my wallet is not ready for that.

Offline finalarcadia

Love it, planning to get a dark set with spacebars kit.