Author Topic: Ace Pad Tech Hall effect keyboard review (Ace Pad Tech Hall effect)  (Read 6955 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
My first HD keyboard review. This one took about as long to make as the six that preceded it, put together. Hopefully you'll like the end result!

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 08:14:29 by chyros »
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: XMIT Hall effect keyboard review (Ace Pad Tech Hall effect)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 00:17:36 »
I love how the switches clip in and out, easy to maintain! Although I don't see much modding potential in these.

That sound is kind of nasty. It kind of sounds like metallic MX Blacks.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 07:43:14 »
I love how the switches clip in and out, easy to maintain! Although I don't see much modding potential in these.
You should be able to mod them to linear, tactile or clicky, and to any weight you want. I'm not sure how the modding potential is LIMITED in these actually xD .

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 09:21:57 »
You should be able to mod them to linear, tactile or clicky, and to any weight you want. I'm not sure how the modding potential is LIMITED in these actually xD .
Oh, right. x_x

Offline blacknblue

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 20:49:36 »
The new video looked (and sounded) great.  What part of it took so long to produce?  Is it the speed of editing and post-processing the (presumably much larger) HD video files?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 21:01:29 »
The new video looked (and sounded) great.  What part of it took so long to produce?  Is it the speed of editing and post-processing the (presumably much larger) HD video files?
If he sets up another fundraiser we sure could raise him enough money for an SSD!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 21:44:34 »
If he sets up another fundraiser we sure could raise him enough money for an SSD!
I have a (very small) SSD actually xD .

It took a long time to find a good setup for the lighting, camera, microphone and me that worked for this, so working out the logistics took a while by itself. The script took ages to make as well because of the amount of content (I scratched about a third of it in the end) and was done in a different way from the normal way. The actual filming took much longer to do as well, not just because of the amount of stuff but also because I had to constantly reposition the camera, re-focus, clue the mic, etc. Not to mention the whole underwater thing. I total I filmed 61 different scenes not counting the slides sequences, underwater bits, the typing demo etc. Then after that I had to edit all of these, and sync up the mic audio with the camera audio for every individual scene, all in a program I'd never used before. The exporting takes ages, and I had to check and revise the whole thing five or so times.

I made a screenshot of it:

So yeah, bit of a labour of love, this one :p .

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:42:48 »
I know how you feel, setting up lighting and camera and making sure everything is in focus etc etc takes a long while.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 21:26:34 »
Another great review!

Are the switches from olden Hall effect keyboards interchangeable with modern ones?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 03:21:33 »
Another great review!

Are the switches from olden Hall effect keyboards interchangeable with modern ones?
No.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Ace Pad Tech Hall effect keyboard review (Ace Pad Tech Hall effect)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:26:41 »
if something goes wrong on the board..  do we gotta dissolve their epoxy to get to the components?

or is it just a thin layer we can cut through.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:12:50 »
if something goes wrong on the board..  do we gotta dissolve their epoxy to get to the components?

It's very thin, but it's also surface mount, so it's not easy to solder on to begin with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 11:33:23 »

It's very thin, but it's also surface mount, so it's not easy to solder on to begin with.

So this keyboard is safer from soda spills,  but it's irreparably 1-hit KO from drops potentially..

Is such a keyboard more or less durable than the vanilla given such limitations.. hrrrmmm.. ~~!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 13:11:05 »

So this keyboard is safer from soda spills,  but it's irreparably 1-hit KO from drops potentially..

Is such a keyboard more or less durable than the vanilla given such limitations.. hrrrmmm.. ~~!
The case is basically solid plastic, so I don't think you have to worry about dropping damages all that much. It's very well-built, in truth.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:13:32 »

The case is basically solid plastic, so I don't think you have to worry about dropping damages all that much. It's very well-built, in truth.

Irreparable is the issue, regardless of how solid it is.

For example, you can make a sword out of glass, it may very well be the sharpest sword ever..  but as soon as the edge takes a kink, or the sword shatters,  you can't put it back together.

With a steel sword, it wouldn't be remotely as sharp as a glass sword, but you kill the bad guy, the blade gets dull, you heat it up, hit it with a hammer,  and it's as good as new.