Author Topic: Ergodox infinity  (Read 6815 times)

Offline scissorfingers

Ergodox infinity
« on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 14:40:48 »
Anybody know what's up with Infinity Ergodox?  No new massdrop for 6 months or more I think?  People at the time seemed to think there would be one within this kind of time period.  I didn't go for the last one because they ran out of Matias keycaps...

I failed to sign up to this (didn't receive confirmation email).  Is that just me, or maybe it's broken and that's why they think there is not enough demand yet?

https://input.club/forums/forum/support/keyboards/infinity-ergodox/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Ergodox infinity
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 15:33:26 »
they're pretty busy with everything, because they got alot of stuff going at the same time..

I think the primary issue with the ergodox plan they have layed out is that , whatever they have, is not a significant enough improvement from even the --original-- ergodox,  to really capture the audience's attention..

If you want to buy one now,  make a few more posts and put up a WTB [want to buy] thread in the geekhack marketplace..

Make sure to ask for references, and check with one of the geekhack elders if the seller is legit.

Offline ski_

Ergodox infinity
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:04:47 »
I too was looking for the infinity... Check out the Ergodox-EZ if you have not already... it is pre-built (no soldering), and it's available. Also has awesome customer support and a warranty.  I picked one up – – I love it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:10:06 by ski_ »

Offline ski_

Ergodox infinity
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:06:12 »
I too was looking for the infinity... Check out the Ergodox-EZ if you have not already... it is pre-built (no soldering), and it's available. Also has awesome customer support and a warranty.  I picked one up – – I love it.

Here is a quick write up I did on it a while back... https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5za9kn/reviewthe_ergodox_ez_really_is_easy/?st=J19R20H3&sh=a73210cb
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:11:27 by ski_ »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:28:58 »
If you're not shy about drilling some holes.. 

you can get the ergodox ez, powerdrill,  and tent it to the proper high angle

The regular ergodox already has a bunch of holes you can put longer m3 bolts into,  but for most of the other iterations, you need to drill

Offline ski_

Ergodox infinity
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 17:11:19 »

The regular ergodox already has a bunch of holes you can put longer m3 bolts into,  but for most of the other iterations, you need to drill

@TP4 -- what is your ideal tenting height/angle?  The EZ come with an adjustable  tenting kit, but I know you like a greater angle.  Rather than drilling holes, why not just put on longer legs if on wanted a greater tenting angle then the legs allow?

Ergodox-EZ Tenting Kit Product Page (this is included in the newer kits...):  https://ergodox-ez.com/products/tilt-tent-kit

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 18:02:31 »

@TP4 -- what is your ideal tenting height/angle?  The EZ come with an adjustable  tenting kit, but I know you like a greater angle.  Rather than drilling holes, why not just put on longer legs if on wanted a greater tenting angle then the legs allow?

Ergodox-EZ Tenting Kit Product Page (this is included in the newer kits...):  https://ergodox-ez.com/products/tilt-tent-kit

Their slight oversight in designings on the legs is that the sides of the ergodox is at 90degrees with the typing plane.

So if you put a long leg to achieve the 55degrees of tenting that Tp4 uses..  it'd be over 150mm long and stretch across the center space between the two halves.

Whereas, if you have the regular ergodox, you can put in just the m3 screws @ 40mm + 100mm + coupler and bend them under the ergodox to achieve 55 degrees and have complete clearance between the two halves of the ergodox for some mousing space.

It's not super crucial..  and YOU CAN do as you've said, it's just not as elegant..  but your idea of extension will work, it just has to be very very long..  and potentially subject to more wobbling, because more force is applied at a lever angle.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:30:00 »
Last year the Infinity dropped in May right? One year should be enough to prepare another drop. I think I'll wait until the end of summer, if it doesn't drop by then I'll buy the Falbatech kit.
But is the columnar stagger of the dox better or worse than the Let's Split?  It's ortholinear, split, and can be tented with some modding.
I'm asking specifically whether it would fare better or worse than the Ergodox for someone who's developing RSI.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:46:39 »
Last year the Infinity dropped in May right? One year should be enough to prepare another drop. I think I'll wait until the end of summer, if it doesn't drop by then I'll buy the Falbatech kit.
But is the columnar stagger of the dox better or worse than the Let's Split?  It's ortholinear, split, and can be tented with some modding.
I'm asking specifically whether it would fare better or worse than the Ergodox for someone who's developing RSI.

I would not use the lets split keyboard..   its like a poker.. more hassle than space saved.

Think of it like cellphones,  they keep claiming thinner smaller phones,   but we get less and less battery life, which is MORE useful than any more thin-ness.

The layout doesn't really matter,  it all comes down to the tenting..   in that respect,  they're equivalent..

In many ways less keys means less ergonomic, because anytime you HAVE to go into a layer, it's more effort and a time waster.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:38:57 »
I would not use the lets split keyboard..   its like a poker.. more hassle than space saved.
Think of it like cellphones,  they keep claiming thinner smaller phones,   but we get less and less battery life, which is MORE useful than any more thin-ness.
The layout doesn't really matter,  it all comes down to the tenting..   in that respect,  they're equivalent..
In many ways less keys means less ergonomic, because anytime you HAVE to go into a layer, it's more effort and a time waster.
So having more keys to avoid switching layers too often, split, tent-able, and ortholinear. A Let's split version of the Preonic? That sounds a tough competitor for the Infinity.

Oh well, since I can't find trace of any lets split preonic in the forum or in reddit I guess that's still in the 110% DIY-custom waters. I'll stick to waiting for the Dox.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:46:32 »
So having more keys to avoid switching layers too often, split, tent-able, and ortholinear. A Let's split version of the Preonic? That sounds a tough competitor for the Infinity.

Oh well, since I can't find trace of any lets split preonic in the forum or in reddit I guess that's still in the 110% DIY-custom waters. I'll stick to waiting for the Dox.

there's the ergodox ez.. which you can modify for higher tenting..   But their included tenting mechanism imho is just not very good, and certainly not high enough.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:07:35 »
there's the ergodox ez.. which you can modify for higher tenting..   But their included tenting mechanism imho is just not very good, and certainly not high enough.

I sooo don't like the EZ. I have no idea why. Gives me a bad feeling.
You know what, Screw waiting for the drop and 1 year after that for the kit. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of ordering Falbatech's PCBs and blackmail my big brother with some new Xbox game so he'll tutor me on soldering until he gives up and he'll solder it himself.  :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:35:30 »

I sooo don't like the EZ. I have no idea why. Gives me a bad feeling.
You know what, Screw waiting for the drop and 1 year after that for the kit. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of ordering Falbatech's PCBs and blackmail my big brother with some new Xbox game so he'll tutor me on soldering until he gives up and he'll solder it himself.  :cool:

So ur brother bought some naughty japanese xbox games and you're going to tell ur parents on him?

what's going on here..

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:47:38 »
So ur brother bought some naughty japanese xbox games and you're going to tell ur parents on him?

what's going on here..
XD nope, he's just not that Internet-savvy to browse for games himself, but he's the hands-on diy tech guy and I'm more the nerdy otaku geeky type and now he's not going to get any juicy game updates until he solders me an ergonomic keyboard. /grin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:49:34 »

what's going on here..
XD nope, he's just not that Internet-savvy to browse for games himself, but he's the hands-on diy tech guy and I'm more the nerdy otaku geeky type and now he's not going to get any juicy game updates until he solders me an ergonomic keyboard. /grin

well , extortion is a valuable skill, i mean.. look at Putin.. he super gud at extortion.. arguably the single most powerful man on the planet..

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:59:15 »
well , extortion is a valuable skill, i mean.. look at Putin.. he super gud at extortion.. arguably the single most powerful man on the planet..
...  even in "the Red" Bologna they don't take kindly on Putin.  And they burned down a right-wing party office once...

And is it still extortion if the other party is not aware of the terms?  I'm not going to tell him "solder me this or no games for you for months" I'm simply not going to talk about games to him until I know he's soldered me the thing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:22:07 by Targa-TV »