Author Topic: Some kind of staggered-type ergo design  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Trente

Some kind of staggered-type ergo design
« on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 20:13:16 »
Spend some type browsing the google photo of some ergo keyboard, and some vintage keyboard and came up with this.
Feel free to leave your comment on what you think is about to be improve, what you like, and what you don't like.

Also, I am wondering if there is any online plate designer besides builder.swillkb.com, I am having some trouble using it to make a plate for this layout

« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 20:36:20 by Trente »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Some kind of staggered-type ergo design
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 16:09:35 »
- Some people are not going to like the shift of the numeric row on the right side. There are also many that use the right hand for 6.
- You might have difficulties sourcing a 2.5u key for the right Space bar.

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 18:03:17 »
There are also many that use the right hand for 6.

There's no real solution to this. There's always people who will complain about the 6 on the right side and others about the left.
If there's a solution could be to have one on each side (or one big enough to cover both sides) or being able to change the 6 side"on the go" somehow.

You might have difficulties sourcing a 2.5u key for the right Space bar.

This is surprisingly hard to find. You will find 2u, 2.25u, 2.75u and 3u, but 2.5u is a little impossible.

EDIT:
Why the inverted T cluster on the left side?
I initially thought it was for "nav" cluster (pg up, pg dn, home, end) but you put the nav on the middle.
BTW, I don't think the Nav cluster is so important to be put in the middle.

Good keys in the middle could be:
Shift, Ctrl, Esc, Tab, Enter.

I also don't get why the Alt keys are so big.
You could make Ctrl bigger instead, or leave those 3 keys with the standard size 1.25u.
If the the 3 of them could be 1.5u it would be nice, but just Alt is nonsense to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 April 2017, 22:30:43 by Vladimir »

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline Trente

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 23:13:04 »
Thanks for the visit and the suggestions. I made some change based on your suggestions, and this is a new update.

EDIT:
This is another one with more remapping of nav keys

- Some people are not going to like the shift of the numeric row on the right side. There are also many that use the right hand for 6.
- You might have difficulties sourcing a 2.5u key for the right Space bar.

Yep, I had noticed this problem, so now I rearranged the 6 a bit and give it some more flexibility. For the space bar, I had replaced it with the 2.75U

There's no real solution to this. There's always people who will complain about the 6 on the right side and others about the left.
If there's a solution could be to have one on each side (or one big enough to cover both sides) or being able to change the 6 side"on the go" somehow.

I am temporally changing the layout on number row so people can either put it left or right as they like

This is surprisingly hard to find. You will find 2u, 2.25u, 2.75u and 3u, but 2.5u is a little impossible.

EDIT:
Why the inverted T cluster on the left side?
I initially thought it was for "nav" cluster (pg up, pg dn, home, end) but you put the nav on the middle.
BTW, I don't think the Nav cluster is so important to be put in the middle.

Good keys in the middle could be:
Shift, Ctrl, Esc, Tab, Enter.

I also don't get why the Alt keys are so big.
You could make Ctrl bigger instead, or leave those 3 keys with the standard size 1.25u.
If the the 3 of them could be 1.5u it would be nice, but just Alt is nonsense to me.
I had noticed the problem with the 2.5U space bar, and decided to change it to 2.75U.
For the two inverted T cluster, I was originally thinking to make them both arrow key clusters, but I think your point of making one of them a "nav" cluster is a good idea and I will definetely think about this. For the nav key on the middle, I am still thinking about how to make them useful, so for now I moved the enter and backspace to the bottom (hope this can be a good start).
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 April 2017, 23:43:53 by Trente »