Author Topic: Gilbarco gas control KB, $79 shipped  (Read 4568 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Gilbarco gas control KB, $79 shipped
« on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:02:33 »
Edit: The seller has relisted this item here.

Are these Hall Effect switches? Are the buttons compatible with anything?

Gilbarco Gas Pump Parts Keyboard 12 Position 4 Grade Key Board R15810-G1R T12A B

Refurbished, $79 shipped

In any case, they're some of the most beautiful double-shots I've ever seen. (Click the photo for full-size.)

BTW, I've referred to these as buttons, the term the keyboard industry has used for them since the '70s. Caps are actually the top half of two-piece buttons, like those on most IBM mechanical boards (the lower half being the stem). I don't know how this misuse of caps got started—but it's ironic it continues, considering how (otherwise) into precision and accuracy the KB community is.   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:47:04 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline clickityClackity

Re: Gilbarco gas control KB, $79 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 17:01:03 »
Soo.... why is it called a keyboard and not a buttonboard? Awesome find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 19:14:52 »
Those are gorgeous! Buttons are what I use to keep my shirt closed; I type on keys.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 20:02:15 »
pretty sure those are engraved, not double shot...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:21:03 »
Soo.... why is it called a keyboard and not a buttonboard? ...

Yes, "key" is a synonym for "button". Historically, though, "button" has been used in the context of operation ("Press any key"). For that reason, I think the term "keyboard" refers to its function, not its particular design. Indeed, MK people rarely refer to "keys" because it doesn't seem specific enough.

If it were up to me, I'd use "key" for an entire switching mechanism, consisting of a switch and button (or two-piece button with stem + cap). This corresponds with the "keys" on keyboard instruments, which transmit the actuating energy from the user to the device. I assume that's where the computer term "keys" came from.

But sure, calling them "keys" is better than "caps"—so go ahead and do that, if it blows your skirt up.  :?)

If you don't believe "cap" is being widely misused, you need go no further than Unicomp's site, where they refer to "buttons" and "caps" as separate things. Since they sell two-piece buttons consisting of caps and stems, calling a one-piece button a "cap" would cause needless confusion. No one started referring to keyboard "caps" till IBM invented the two-piece button and the term "cap" became meaningful.

Think about it: A computer keyboard is a collection of switches. If you press something on any other kind of switch, you'd call that part a "button". You don't press "caps" on your remote. You wouldn't refer to your doorbell's cap (unless it had changeable colours). Why should computer keyboards be different?

Discrete technical terms exist for our advantage, to avoid confusion and inaccuracy. It beats me why most MK peeps don't care about that here, when they care about accuracy in so many other ways.

Okay—I'd still be glad to have 'em, though, wouldn't you? It's darn tempting, considering that people commonly pay over $100 for sets that aren't nearly as distinctive, not to mention original.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:54:23 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:02:56 »
I was hoping someone would give a detailed response to my one liner with solid info. You far exceeded my expectations, thanks!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:27:46 »
I was hoping someone would give a detailed response to my one liner with solid info. You far exceeded my expectations, thanks!

And I was hoping someone would mention the kind of phone they were using.  :?)

I'm glad to explain all this. People resist change, though, so I doubt it'll make any difference. I'll probably have to settle for it being a source of amusement.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:35:42 »
For what it's worth, in its original patent for the buckling-spring switch, IBM referred to "the key button" (my highlights):

(IBM made keyboards with both one- and two-piece buttons—so by referring to to "the key button and its stem", I assume they were just clarifying that the stem was part of the button.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:41:28 by ander »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 13:00:28 »
possibly a mix, but most keys are certainly doubleshot. Look at these pictures .

Not sure if this is a good deal, you used to be able to get these for like $30-$40 but I haven't checked prices the last few years.

*update* going rate seems to be $50-$100

BTW these ones are (often) cortron magnetic valve:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GILBARCO-GAS-SITE-KEYBOARD-PAO3040000-/382023259315?hash=item58f25c54b3:g:jyMAAOSwB-1Yq6NG
not a bad price if you're into that kind of thing
(note: I'm not 100% sure if it is. Its up to you to do your own research)

as you can see here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GILBARCO-MARCONI-PA03040000R-KEYBOARD-CORE-NO-BOX-MISSING-KEYS-/250955810875?hash=item3a6e21c83b:m:mldZYBEJdZ7ClVuICq7_VAw
and here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GILBARCO-MARCONI-PA03200000R-G-SITE-KEYBOARD-Rev-D-/230741675366?hash=item35b9468d66:m:mNOwnyn8hxUWPg2I01pkM9w

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 03:44:27 »
Dude!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 00:13:18 »
So what kind of switches are these? Something massively robust, looks like.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 01:39:30 »
Key Tronic magnetic reed. I've been wanting to have a look at those for a while; unfortunately this one only ships to the US D: . And it's already not exactly cheap.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:27:05 »
Key Tronic magnetic reed. I've been wanting to have a look at those for a while; unfortunately this one only ships to the US D: . And it's already not exactly cheap.

And it's not a full keyboard... That's the only reason I'm not snapping it up, despite the gorgeous buttons (divorce risk notwithstanding).

That said, it is "Make an offer", and it's been up for some time. So who knows, the seller may take $60 or so. There is, after all, a very limited, specialized market for this sort of thing.

Thomas, if you want it, I'll be glad to order it for you, pick it up at our WA State address, and mail it back off to you. PM me if you're interested.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:33:23 »
Actually, I have found a record of a foam and foil switch of a very early type that looks like it, so I'm not sure anymore. I could figure it out if I knew what the pinout looked like, which is basically just the back side.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 21:33:10 »
So you'd actually want to get it working? But what for? Do you have a gas pump without a controller, or a controller that's not nearly as stylish as it should be?   ^-^

It'd be fun to make a case for it, too, even if it wasn't functional. Then you could just leave it out where you could see it now and then, and sigh in admiration... That'd be enough for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 21:36:33 by ander »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 00:30:32 »
No, I just want to know whether it's foam and foil or magnetic reed. Foam and foil doesn't have apinout so it's easy to recognise ;) .

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 13:06:39 »
Fun.  I work closely with Gilbarco Veederoot stuff on a daily basis.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 04:35:12 »
Woo, $4 price drop!

168797-0

How much lower does it have to go to match the AU exchange rate?  ;?)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 15:13:13 »
I have one I can mail you, but one of the reeds is broken. I was going to repair it but then I did other things.

Basically: they aren't very great.

Also I have only seen reeds with these Gilbarco boards. You can find other variants on ebay with photos of the bottom showing pins / through holes.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 17:31:42 »
I have one I can mail you, but one of the reeds is broken. I was going to repair it but then I did other things.

Basically: they aren't very great.

Also I have only seen reeds with these Gilbarco boards. You can find other variants on ebay with photos of the bottom showing pins / through holes.
That'd be pretty cool! I'm quite interested in them :) .