Author Topic: [IC] Kingfisher (50%) Compact Keyboard - Prototype PCBs  (Read 20040 times)

Offline snevok

[IC] Kingfisher (50%) Compact Keyboard - Prototype PCBs
« on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 15:26:30 »

40% boards are nice, but there aren't enough keys for me personally.  I don't like having to shift layers to hit a question mark or a bracket.  45% boards are a little better, but there are barely any out there.  The JD45 and Minivan come to mind, but they aren't really that cheap or easy to get your hands on, and it's hard to find keycaps with good compatibility.

I felt like a new compact layout was needed, so I put together my dream compact layout in KLE.  It's one row wider than the JD45, which is why I gave it the 50% size.  Keycap compatibility works very well with this layout, and every single key (except for the red 1.25u key) can easily be found in an EnjoyPBT set in the right size AND profile. 

The bottom row also has lots of compatibility, with options for 7u, 6.25u, and 6u spacebars, each with options for split space, still compatible with standard keycap sets.  The right shift also allows for either full 2.25u, split arrow keys, or split HHKB. 

Because of the way the layout is made, there will be little 0.25u blocked corners, giving it a sort of miniature HHKB-esque look. 

As for design, I'm planning on two options, sandwiched acrylic and milled aluminum, and there will be a custom PCB included.  There is no word on price yet, but if this gains enough interest, I will work on getting an estimate.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All Supported Layouts: 
More

Super Rough Model:
More

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Updates:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

#5 - 8/28/17

Prototype case is printed, assembled, and in functioning use.

Extras were for sale on Reddit, 3 PCBs/kits were available, all pending. 

I originally thought of this miniature project as completed, but I have gotten many messages on Reddit asking about the availability of this board which changed my mind.  Therefore, I have been talking to someone about the idea for r2 with updated layouts, RGB underglow, and a hi-pro CNC aluminum case.  More details about r2 will come in a separate IC, expect to see it sometime in the future.

#4 - 6/14/17

PCBs are done being designed, and prototypes have been ordered!

PCB Renders: 
More

- Alps and MX Support
     - Per Key LED Backlight
     - Fully Pre-Soldered SMD Components
     - Centered Mini USB
     - QMK Firmware
     - 8 PCB Mount Holes
     - All Original Layouts Supported

I will work on the case design once the PCBs come in, so I can be sure that I get all the measurements correct on the first try.  More updates to come once the PCBs arrive in ~30 days from China!

#3 - 6/7/17

Decided to fall through with the GMK modifiers.  They're too expensive, and the MOQ will never be reached.  It would also be an added stress for me shipping out an additional ~150 packages.

Recently got a 3d printer and was able to print out the left half of the (curved) split version.  I'm still working on getting the quality up, but the print worked out, and it gives a pretty good idea of what the full board will be like.  I was originally concerned with the blockers, but they turned out to actually look quite nice in real life. 

Pics of the 3d print:  http://imgur.com/a/Gtm6c

I'm still waiting on the PCB design to be finished up, I'm sorry it's taking a [/url]while. 

Bad news about the case manufacturer:  All but one company that I emailed failed to respond to my quote inquiry.  The one company that did respond said that they were unable to quote my request :(

Good news about the case manufacturer:  I did find a very local company willing to make the case.  Once the PCB design is finished, I will finish up the case design to fit around the PCB dimensions, and then I'll submit the case for a quote.

Renders of the split curved case:  https://imgur.com/a/kuqKC#tWZRewb

KLE layout:  http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/##@@=Tab&=Q&=W&=E&=R&=T&_x:2%3B&=Y&=U&=I&=O&=P&=%7B%0A%5B&=%7D%0A%5D&=%7C%0A%5C%3B&@_w:1.25%3B&=Caps%20Lock&=A&=S&=D&=F&=G&_x:2%3B&=H&=J&=K&=L&=%2F:%0A%2F%3B&=%22%0A'&_w:1.75%3B&=Enter%3B&@_w:1.75%3B&=Shift&=Z&=X&=C&=V&=B&_x:2%3B&=N&=M&=%3C%0A,&=%3E%0A.&=%3F%0A%2F%2F&=%E2%86%91&_w:1.25%3B&=Shift%3B&@_x:0.25%3B&=Ctrl&=Win&_w:1.25%3B&=Alt&_w:2.75%3B&=Alt&_x:2%3B&=Win&_w:2.25%3B&=Menu&_w:1.25%3B&=Ctrl&=%E2%86%90&=%E2%86%93&=%E2%86%92

Open source models:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvrj5l8axs63t5z/AAC6vQeVSaIWHs_AWyq3ydP2a?dl=0

#2 - 5/22/17

Just got a quote back from GMK.  Sadly, I made a few changes to the set and they gave a quote for the wrong revision, but it should still give a good idea of the price. 

GMK gave the set a cost of $36 before shipping and fees for a MOQ of 150.  The set would cost $32 before shipping and fees for a MOQ of 250. 

This estimate doesn't include arrow keys, but it does include the price of three spacebars.  Not including the spacebars would likely bring the price down, though I'm not sure by how much.  Full compatibility with the JD45 could be added in place of the full size spacebars.

The PCB guy is working on the design as we speak.  As soon as he's done, I'll go ahead and order ~10 prototypes and solder them up. 

The company I reached out to still hasn't answered my email regarding a quote, so I'll either give them a call or work on finding another company to use instead.

#1 - 5/13/17

Couple quick updates today:

1. I found a PCB designer since I can't do the designing myself.  Once the keyboard layouts are finalized, he will get started on the prototype boards, which will be made soon after.  I will keep be keeping one prototype PCB and be selling the rest to make back lost expenses. 

2. I found a local company willing to cut the plates and acrylic cases.  Their facility is only 15 minutes away, and some family members have done business with them before.  There is a powder coating facility in the same building if there would be any interest of having that as a unique case finish.  They might do the CNC aluminum cases too, but I'll have to ask. 

3.  I contacted GMK for a quote for the compatible modifier keys.  Decided on N9 and CP (Dolch mod colors) since they match almost everything except WoB.  Not sure if all of these key legends/profiles are possible, but I'll find out soon enough.

Keys I want to include in the mod set: 
More

Layout example with the mods (with leftovers): 
More
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 23:43:23 by snevok »

Offline scwoopz

Re: [IC] 50% Compact Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 15:53:51 »
Very interesting! I like the idea. Any names? One random idea:

Trux50
ortho or shmortho

Offline snevok

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 15:58:13 »
Very interesting! I like the idea. Any names? One random idea:

Trux50

Thanks!  To go along with my bird name themes, I'd probably give it the name of a small bird like The Finch, Kingfisher, Swallow, etc.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:07:42 »
Interesting idea; but, it does not solve the problem you pointed at on having non standard keys. Instead, having the four bottom rows of a sixty would be better solution. Standard keys in a more compact size than a sixty.

Offline snevok

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:13:24 »
Interesting idea; but, it does not solve the problem you pointed at on having non standard keys. Instead, having the four bottom rows of a sixty would be better solution. Standard keys in a more compact size than a sixty.

Obviously, all the key legends won't be right, but all of the key profiles and sizes will be.  Personally, keys with the wrong legend would bug me less than keys with the wrong profile or size.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:16:44 »

Obviously, all the key legends won't be right, but all of the key profiles and sizes will be.  Personally, keys with the wrong legend would bug me less than keys with the wrong profile or size.
I have to say, having off legends will keep people away from buying and I think that ideus' idea is better. Now that I look closer, the tiny spaces on the sides of the bottom row hurt my OCD enough that it would keep me from purchasing.
ortho or shmortho

Offline snevok

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:30:21 »

I have to say, having off legends will keep people away from buying and I think that ideus' idea is better. Now that I look closer, the tiny spaces on the sides of the bottom row hurt my OCD enough that it would keep me from purchasing.

Nearly every 40% board uses keys where the legends don't quite match up.  This problem isn't something that's unique to this board, and it isn't something that can be avoided with a board this small.  The only major key that will be mislabeled is the right 1.75u key, which would be Caps Lock instead of Enter.  All the rest of the keys should be able to have correct legends, or at least ones that wouldn't look out of place (like Ctrl on the left 1.25u key).

The reason the bottom corners are offset is so that the arrow layout lines up with the row above it.  If I were to take away the gap, it would stagger the two rows, making the arrow layout not possible.  I get that some people won't like it, but it's a tradeoff for functionality. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 May 2017, 16:36:10 by snevok »

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 17:19:28 »

Nearly every 40% board uses keys where the legends don't quite match up.  This problem isn't something that's unique to this board, and it isn't something that can be avoided with a board this small.  The only major key that will be mislabeled is the right 1.75u key, which would be Caps Lock instead of Enter.  All the rest of the keys should be able to have correct legends, or at least ones that wouldn't look out of place (like Ctrl on the left 1.25u key).

The reason the bottom corners are offset is so that the arrow layout lines up with the row above it.  If I were to take away the gap, it would stagger the two rows, making the arrow layout not possible.  I get that some people won't like it, but it's a tradeoff for functionality.
I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but I still disagree with you. Having the arrows be slightly off is acceptable, and anyone using a 50% board shouldn't expect to have arrow keys. Look at about half of the community using <65% boards, they all survive.
ortho or shmortho

Offline snevok

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 18:21:31 »

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but I still disagree with you. Having the arrows be slightly off is acceptable, and anyone using a 50% board shouldn't expect to have arrow keys. Look at about half of the community using <65% boards, they all survive.

To each their own I guess haha.  Thanks for the feedback though, it really helps to get perspectives from people whose views are completely different than mine.  I do see where you're coming from though, and I'll work on fixing it.  I do have one idea though to fix the layout, but I'll experiment before I post an update.

A 60% without the number row could be cool though, that would be a different board though, maybe just a little project board to make just because.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 18:39:58 »
I think it should have a lighter/thinner case to fit with the compact theme?

Offline snevok

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 18:46:23 »
I think it should have a lighter/thinner case to fit with the compact theme?

A smaller, lighter acrylic sandwich case would also be available.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:08:07 »

Is a 1.25 row 2 (D Profile) key available? or a 1.25 in row 3 (C Profile)? I only have seen that size in B Profile so far. Of course, you can always use a flat profile like XDA or DSA; but, that does not warrant your statement on all the key profiles being right.

Offline snevok

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:11:51 »

Is a 1.25 row 2 (D Profile) key available? or a 1.25 in row 3 (C Profile)? I only have seen that size in B Profile so far. Of course, you can always use a flat profile like XDA or DSA; but, that does not warrant your statement on all the key profiles being right.

My bad, I meant to say all except one.  That's the only key which profile is wrong though, which is still pretty good in my book.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:17:53 »

My bad, I meant to say all except one.  That's the only key which profile is wrong though, which is still pretty good in my book.

That makes a 15 unit width design a more key cap friendly approach. The number row could be programmed on the top row of an four row layout. The advantage of your design is that a 14 unit width makes it more aesthetic though.

Edit: I have a hat tab key that I can cut to fit in a 1.25u space; but, I think the only workaround would be to have a manufacturer creating a new mold or compromising by using a flat profile set. New molds are bloody expensive.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:21:59 by ideus »

Offline snevok

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:45:54 »

That makes a 15 unit width design a more key cap friendly approach. The number row could be programmed on the top row of an four row layout. The advantage of your design is that a 14 unit width makes it more aesthetic though.

Edit: I have a hat tab key that I can cut to fit in a 1.25u space; but, I think the only workaround would be to have a manufacturer creating a new mold or compromising by using a flat profile set. New molds are bloody expensive.

I get where you're coming from, but the IC on Reddit got a decent amount of traction, so I'll most likely go further with the current design, and then play around and see what else I could do with other designs.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 21:59:43 »
I really like the idea of this board! I love that it has that compact layout that would allow for it to be a nice portable board, but it also has the standard key layout so that someone who uses Dvorak (like myself) would have no problem being able to use it! I personally use blank keycaps, so I wouldn't have a problem with the different sizes.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:06:13 »
Are you currently in production with a PCB, or are you just throwing this idea out there currently?

Offline snevok

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:11:38 »
Are you currently in production with a PCB, or are you just throwing this idea out there currently?

Just throwing the idea out ATM.  I'll talk to someone to get a PCB made, and then once that's done I'll get to working on a prototype.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:26:06 »

Just throwing the idea out ATM.  I'll talk to someone to get a PCB made, and then once that's done I'll get to working on a prototype.

Okay. I for one would be happy to purchase this board.

Man I'm loosing money fast to GB stuff though : p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:44:14 »
I have been thinking on this and if you run a mini buy for the non standard keys, in classic colors like beige and black, this may get more demand.

Personally, I might give this layout a try:

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:50:31 by ideus »

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:49:23 »
I have been thinking on this and if you run a mini buy for the non standard keys, in classic colors like beige and black, this may get more demand.

Show Image

Show Image

The second image seems to be broken over on my end... What was that supposed to be?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:51:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

The second image seems to be broken over on my end... What was that supposed to be?

Refresh your window, I replaced the image once, it may be broken when you accessed it the first time. It is my preferred layout for this board.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:53:00 »
Ohh, okay. On Tapatalk it was broken even when I reentered the app, but when I quoted it it was fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline snevok

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:22:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's not a bad idea, I'll have to think about it as a possibility.  Were you thinking GMK? 

The only reason I'm kinda iffy about this is because this would only fix the issue for people who are using beige GMK/ePBT caps.  That's one of the most popular colorway though, so it would help a decent amount, but not completely fix the issue.

Would a full set of mods be better?  It would include all the mods with correct legends for each of the supported layouts.  Obviously, it would be more expensive, but it would match other sets besides just beige GMK/ePBT.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 15:40:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's not a bad idea, I'll have to think about it as a possibility.  Were you thinking GMK? 

The only reason I'm kinda iffy about this is because this would only fix the issue for people who are using beige GMK/ePBT caps.  That's one of the most popular colorway though, so it would help a decent amount, but not completely fix the issue.

Would a full set of mods be better?  It would include all the mods with correct legends for each of the supported layouts.  Obviously, it would be more expensive, but it would match other sets besides just beige GMK/ePBT.

Great idea! Being GMK so popular nowadays, going with it assures "compatibility" with most sets recently made and also with OG Cherry's.

Offline snevok

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 16:54:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Great idea! Being GMK so popular nowadays, going with it assures "compatibility" with most sets recently made and also with OG Cherry's.

What color do you think would be the best?  Black (CR), grey (N9) , or beige (U9)?  I personally feel like either black or grey would look better with more sets than beige would.

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 17:16:07 »
I am definitely very interested in getting one!

Personally I already have a keycap set in mind, specifically DSA Hana, to cover this board in the layout I want, so I won't have too much trouble in that regard. It does however involve a lot of novelties to cover it, so I can see the objection raised by others, especially if one wants non-DSA non-uniform profile and actual legends to match.

Any rough idea as to the design of the case?
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline snevok

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 17:22:10 »

Personally I already have a keycap set in mind, specifically DSA Hana, to cover this board in the layout I want, so I won't have too much trouble in that regard. It does however involve a lot of novelties to cover it, so I can see the objection raised by others, especially if one wants non-DSA non-uniform profile and actual legends to match.

There's a rough idea for the CNC aluminum case in the OP under the drop down 'Super Rough Model'.  The other case would just be a simple laser cut acrylic sandwich case, not too much to explain about it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 17:31:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

What color do you think would be the best?  Black (CR), grey (N9) , or beige (U9)?  I personally feel like either black or grey would look better with more sets than beige would.

Run a poll, you can check also preferences for the case design, pcb color and the mod set's color options, remember that GMK MoQ is high, thus, the set should get enough demand to get a go.

U9 and CR can be mix and matched with existent sets and for gray you can use Dolch gray, that I am not sure if it is N9; again, in order to get some additional interest on the mod sets, besides the individuals that want the full thing. Using classic colors is your best bet.

Edit: N9 is the Dolch's mods color.

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 May 2017, 17:34:01 by ideus »

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 17:34:09 »

There's a rough idea for the CNC aluminum case in the OP under the drop down 'Super Rough Model'.  The other case would just be a simple laser cut acrylic sandwich case, not too much to explain about it.

Oops, my bad, totally missed that last drop down. Thanks for the pointer!

I like the case design for CNC aluminium, almost certainly going to hop on it when this becomes available!
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline snevok

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:31:03 »
Couple quick updates:

1. Found a PCB designer since I can't do it myself. 

2. Found a local company willing to cut the plates and acrylic cases.  They might do the CNC aluminum cases too, but I'll have to ask. 

3. Contacted GMK for a quote for the modifier keys.  Decided on N9 and CP (Dolch mod colors) since they match almost everything except WoB.  Not sure if all of these keys are possible, but I'll find out soon enough.

More

More

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:34:30 »
Couple quick updates:

2. Found a local company willing to cut the plates and acrylic cases.  They might do the CNC aluminum cases too, but I'll have to ask. 

3. Contacted GMK for a quote for the modifier keys.  Decided on N9 and CP (Dolch mod colors) since they match almost everything except WoB.  Not sure if all of these keys are possible, but I'll find out soon enough.

More
Show Image

More
Show Image
Do you have a quote on the price?
Also, will this be QMK compatible?

Offline snevok

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:35:48 »
Couple quick updates:

More
Show Image

More
Show Image
Do you have a quote on the price?
Also, will this be QMK compatible?

Just asked GMK for a quote, haven't heard back from them yet.

It will run QMK.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:48:17 by snevok »

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:36:22 »
Cool thanks! Love this keyboard btw.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:17:54 »

I will use it with my Dolch then (Secondary legends just for reference, ignore them). I just hope the mod set reach MoQ. Would leaving the standard space bars out get its pricing into very attractive pricing bracket? After all. most people already have some space bars matching their alphas and keeping the split sizes only would cover the special layouts.

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:43:01 by ideus »

Offline snevok

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:59:50 »
Cool thanks! Love this keyboard btw.

Thanks for all the support <3

Show Image

I will use it with my Dolch then (Secondary legends just for reference, ignore them). I just hope the mod set reach MoQ. Would leaving the standard space bars out get its pricing into very attractive pricing bracket? After all. most people already have some space bars matching their alphas and keeping the split sizes only would cover the special layouts.

Show Image

Good point.  I'll see how much cheaper it is without the spacebars once I get the quote with the spacebars. 

MoQ might be a problem.  If enough people want the kit bad enough but there aren't enough orders, there are a few things I could do. 

1. Pay out of pocket for the remainder of the kits (not ideal as I'd be out a ton of money)
2. Pay out of pocket and raise the price of the mods in the final buy to make back lost expenses (not ideal as that's not really fair to you guys)
3. Get a set for the whole board made by SP in DCS/DSA because of their nonexistent MoQ (not ideal as the profile isn't cherry, caps are thin, and compatibility with other sets is low)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:07:37 »
Plan B: The minimalist 50% GMK Compatibility Kit:

No compromise and cheap enough for everyone interested in giving the 50% layout a try.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:09:59 by ideus »

Offline snevok

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:19:15 »

Show Image

No compromise and cheap enough for everyone interested in giving the 50% layout a try.

My problem with that is even though it'll help a few people, it'll make the board look off balance with the different colors in weird spots.  Personally, wrong colored caps would bug me a lot more than mismatched legends/profiles. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:32:36 »

Show Image

My problem with that is even though it'll help a few people, it'll make the board look off balance with the different colors.  Personally, wrong colored caps would bug me a lot more than mismatched legends/profiles.

I understand your feeling; however, it would be even worst not having any key for those spots in the proper profile to give your design a try.

I only use Cherry profile keys, I could use DCS along with them if needed, but I do not have any key that can fit those spots with the proper profile, even if the legends do not match.

I would try using R1 Esc and 1U Backspace, R2 1.75 Backspace to fit instead of the R3 Enter and R4 1.25U Control, though. I have all of them in Beige and in Dolch, in case no keys were provided in your GB, that would be my alternative plan.

In any case I encourage you to try to get this done, even at minimum MoQ for the PCB. It is a great idea.

Offline snevok

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:37:03 »

Show Image

My problem with that is even though it'll help a few people, it'll make the board look off balance with the different colors.  Personally, wrong colored caps would bug me a lot more than mismatched legends/profiles.

I understand your feeling; however, it would be even worst not having any key for those spots in the proper profile to give your design a try.

I only use Cherry profile keys, I could use DCS along with them if needed, but I do not have any key that can fit those spots with the proper profile, even if the legends do not match.

I would try using R1 Esc and 1U Backspace, R2 1.75 Backspace to fit instead of the R3 Enter and R4 1.25U Control, though. I have all of them in Beige and in Dolch, in case no keys were provided in your GB, that would be my alternative plan.

In any case I encourage you to try to get this done, even at minimum MoQ for the PCB. It is a great idea.

I'm working on getting all the details sorted out as soon as I can.  Since finals are starting soon, I won't have a ton of time to work on all details for the few weeks to come, so I'm getting as much done as I can sooner rather than later. 

I'll post updates as soon as I get more information from GMK or the acrylic case/plate manufacturer. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:40:34 »
BTW: Have you noticed that the upcoming Nautilus Set has the keys in the minimalist set that I propose you, that fit your design:

Of course, it is not an option to buy an expensive set just for those keys, though.

Offline snevok

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:45:27 »
BTW: Have you noticed that the upcoming Nautilus Set has the keys in the minimalist set that I propose you, that fit your design:

Show Image

Of course, it is not an option to buy an expensive set just for those keys, though.

Huh, that's pretty interesting.  I haven't really been paying attention to that set since I'm not a huge fan of the colorway, but that compatibility is pretty interesting.  I'll think over the compatibility tonight, and figure out if there's something I can do to make the symmetry better.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:50:03 »

Show Image

Huh, that's pretty interesting.  I haven't really been paying attention to that set since I'm not a huge fan of the colorway, but that compatibility is pretty interesting.  I'll think over the compatibility tonight, and figure out if there's something I can do to make the symmetry better.

I am in the same position, I really do not like its colors. The good news is that GMK has confirmed availability of those keys already. You may even provide at least the Control/Tab and Enter keys in accent colors instead of an existing OG.

Offline snevok

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:53:12 »

Show Image

I am in the same position, I really do not like its colors. The good news is that GMK has confirmed availability of those keys already. You may even provide at least the Control/Tab and Enter keys in accent colors instead of an existing OG.

Yeah, the availability is a big plus. 

I was thinking of doing it as a complimenting color, but I feel like having the top left and top right being a different color would just make the board feel off, since it would need something on the bottom too.  That's what I need to think about, since it might help to add matching function layer keys, but I'll just have to mess around with it and see what looks good.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 00:10:49 »
The Nautilus Set is intended to be compatible with the JD45, that shares mods sizes with the 50%'s, that means that the mod set could attract users that want to populate their JD45s, besides those of us that want to try the 50%.

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 May 2017, 00:13:03 by ideus »

Offline snevok

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 00:17:02 »
The Nautilus Set is intended to be compatible with the JD45, that shares mods sizes with the 50%'s, that means that the mod set could be attract users that wants to populate their JD45s, besides those of us that want to try the 50%.

Show Image

Never realized that the sizes for the mods were badically the same as the JD45 and JD40. I feel like the full mod set might actually be possible since it fits three boards instead of just one. If it fit the Minivan too, it would help even more, but the key sizes for that are all weird :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 00:20:32 »
The Nautilus Set is intended to be compatible with the JD45, that shares mods sizes with the 50%'s, that means that the mod set could be attract users that wants to populate their JD45s, besides those of us that want to try the 50%.

Show Image

Never realized that the sizes for the mods were badically the same as the JD45 and JD40. I feel like the full mod set might actually be possible since it fits three boards instead of just one. If it fit the Minivan too, it would help even more, but the key sizes for that are all weird :(

Right! The mod set may hit MoQ advertising its compatibility; but again, the full size space bars may add unnecessary cost to it. Make it as lean as possible and I feel you can get it done.

Offline odd

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 16:18:52 »
count me in for 1 with alu case and 2 of the mods (if they are not crazy expensive)

Offline snevok

Re: [IC] 50% Compact Keyboard (+ GMK Mods)
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 08:11:25 »
OP updated with info about the GMK mods, as well as some other minor updates.

Offline snevok

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:02:42 »
Recently got a 3d printer and was able to print out the left half of the (curved) split version.  I'm still working on getting the quality up, but the print worked out, and it gives a pretty good idea of what the full board will be like.  I was originally concerned with the blockers, but they turned out to actually look quite nice in real life.

I'm still waiting on the PCB design to be finished up, I'm sorry it's taking a while. 

Bad news about the case manufacturer:  All but one company that I emailed failed to respond to my quote inquiry.  The one company that did respond said that they were unable to quote my request :(

Good news about the case manufacturer:  I did find a very local company willing to make the case.  Once the PCB design is finished, I will finish up the case design to fit around the PCB dimensions, and then I'll submit the case for a quote.

Offline ns90

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:07:22 »
I've really got to set my printer back up. I'm actually really interested in trying this. I think 50% will fill most of what I'm missing from 40%.

Offline snevok

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:19:27 »
I've really got to set my printer back up. I'm actually really interested in trying this. I think 50% will fill most of what I'm missing from 40%.

Just a warning, a full print hasn't been done yet, so I don't know how well everything fits together.  It should all work in theory, but some sanding might be needed to make the left and right half join together.  So far from printing just the top half of the left side, the layout gets an A in my book.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:35:15 »
How much the price for the set would be with no space bars?

Haven't read the last update. It seems you have decided to drop the mod set. Why not to explore a minimalist set in classic colors?
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:42:39 by ideus »

Offline digisax

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:48:55 »
Looks like a cool layout, I like how symmetrical the bottom row is with a 7u (or equivalent split) spacebar. The fact that it's QMK makes it really appealing.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline snevok

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:09:06 »
How much the price for the set would be with no space bars?

Haven't read the last update. It seems you have decided to drop the mod set. Why not to explore a minimalist set in classic colors?

That was my next idea. Since SP's MOQ is lower, it would be easier to go with them for some caps. I'll ask them about the price for sets in both DSA and DCS.  Colors will be more or less classic with maybe some mild colored accents.

Looks like a cool layout, I like how symmetrical the bottom row is with a 7u (or equivalent split) spacebar. The fact that it's QMK makes it really appealing.

That was one of the main goals: Look good, be portable, keep max functionality. QMK was the only choice for firmware since you can do pretty much anything with it.

Offline snevok

Re: [IC] Kingfisher (50%) Compact Keyboard
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 21:15:08 »
Just posted an update having to do with the PCBs. 

TL;DR:  Designing is complete, prototypes have been ordered, and they'll get to me in ~30 days.

For more specifics, check up in update #4.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 00:11:30 »
FYI: The layout picture's link is broken.

Offline snevok

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 10:21:26 »
FYI: The layout picture's link is broken.

Ah thanks, changed that in a rush last night and didn't notice.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:38:48 »
Now you've got a Nautilus copy made by Tai-Hao with the same name as your keyboard!

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2501

Offline snevok

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 12:08:22 »
They're here ;)

Offline snevok

Re: [IC] Kingfisher (50%) Compact Keyboard - Prototype PCBs
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 17:37:51 »

Prototype built, typing on it now!  It took a while to get it built since I've been busy with work and college stuff, but it's finally done.  I haven't completely finished making the case yet, my 3d printer broke mid print and I have to get a whole new heatbed.  Just the plate will do for now though. 

I figured out that the board supports a sort of 'winkeyless' layout, so I decided to go with that and give it a vintage feel and look.  So far, I'm really pleased with the results. 

With SA, only the right shift key next to the question mark is in the wrong profile.  I was originally going to do a long right shift, but I modeled the stabilizer hole in the wrong direction, so I had to go with a split right shift instead.  Still, one key in the wrong profile isn't bad at all.  With Cherry profile caps, only the key to the left of 'A' would be in the wrong profile. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 July 2017, 17:40:31 by snevok »

Offline snevok

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 18:08:37 »

There is a render for a 5 part case designed for 3d printing.  Each section is a different color to show how the parts fit together, but they all assemble together very seamlessly with minimal overhangs to keep the success rate high.  I would finish printing it, but like I said, printer is broken for the meantime :/

Offline snevok

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 23:37:43 »
Reviving this project with the help of a special someone.

We expect to re-release with more layouts, RGB underglow, and a hi-pro CNC aluminum case.  More details will come in a seperate IC. 

Prototype is printed, assembled, and in functioning use. 

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:21:29 »
Glad to see you here, snevok.  Looking forward to the alu case design. :p

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:59:10 »
I am digging that board hope there is a round 2 what where the prices like on r1 on the ones you sold on reddit?

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 11:05:55 »
That prototype looks really nice. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Offline snevok

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 11:35:49 »
That prototype looks really nice. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Price was $50 just for the PCBs, and a 3d printed case + PCB for $130.  Prices for the PCBs should drop when more are purchased, since I only bought 10 
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:19:32 by snevok »

Offline snevok

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 11:38:27 »
A few extras are available. PM me for details. Price is $120 for a PCB and 3d printed case, extra for assembled.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 14:43:13 »
PM'd.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 14:41:06 »
Any updates on a second round?

Offline snevok

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 18:58:23 »
Life has been super busy this past month, close to zero progress has been made on r2 :( 

Stay patient, updates will come with time <3

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 18:59:27 »
Life has been super busy this past month, close to zero progress has been made on r2 :( 

Stay patient, updates will come with time <3

Like a good wine.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 19:04:53 »
I'm sadden by the fact I have not in fact seen this before today...I hope that I will be able to jump on it when r2 comes back!

So take you're time...

Like a good wine.