Author Topic: Hello from Italy!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline meisteranker

Hello from Italy!
« on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 05:03:24 »
Hello people, I'm new to the forum, despite I have lurked as a guest since a long time.

My name's Enzo, I'm from Italy, and I'm a huge fan of vintage hardware, especially if it allows me to use it both on old and new platforms. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a device made in the 80's work on a modern computer.

Keyboard wise, I only have two models at the moment: a Chicony KB-5181 with white Alps switches and a BTC 5060XT foam and foil 84 keys keyboard I currently have plugged into my retro PC, a Pentium 3.

My dream would be to find a quality 84 keys keyboard or even using a real XT keyboard on that PC, as I pretty much got used to its layout, and works well for my setup.

I also love vintage mice, the old serial ones from the 80's make me drool all over the place when I see them.
Mouse wise I have three, all serial: a cheap Trust three button mouse from the early 90's, a 1987 Logitech 82-9F I use on my laptop with a usb to serial adapter and a Genius GM-6000 three button mouse I have on my Pentium 3.

I'm very glad to have found this place, I thought I was the only one who wanted to use what in my family call "e-trash" on my systems. To me, they are wonderful pieces of equipment and way better than most modern devices I used so far.

Thank you for welcoming me!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2017, 05:06:10 by meisteranker »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Hello from Italy!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 06:45:36 »
Ciao Enzo, benvenuto. :thumb:
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline meisteranker

Re: Hello from Italy!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 07:21:22 »
Thank you, grazie, compaesano!

I hope to find a solution for my Genius mouse connected to the USB port that I posted in the Inputs section as well. There are a lot of things I have to do before I become a real geekhacker!

The Logitech 82-9F I'm using on my laptop is working very well, personally I don't miss my optical mouse so far, especially after I replaced the tired old ball with a new one taken from a broken HP PS/2 mouse. Here's a picture sourced from the internet of the model I'm using on my machine at the moment, hoping to swap it with the GM-6000.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2017, 07:25:09 by meisteranker »