Author Topic: Laptop not starting. Is this why?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Naweo

Laptop not starting. Is this why?
« on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 11:20:24 »
Hello!

I tried to fix my MSI stealth QE2 laptop as it would not boot past bios. I decided to unplug and replug battery and SSD, to then discover it would not start at all.

When I checked the SD to MB cable right above the battery, I saw this on the copper in the attached picture.

Could this be why, and what do I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Laptop not starting. Is this why?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 11:39:41 »
if that's the cable for the power button..  then it could be why..

Offline Naweo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 11:48:50 »

It is. Would you have a replacement/repair suggestion?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 12:26:53 »

It is. Would you have a replacement/repair suggestion?

what?

did it break off? 

you just need to plug it back in.. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 12:30:20 »
if ur sure the cable is broken..

if the other end is not detachable, you can't fix the cable, just buy a new replacement (top) or (keyboard)

Offline Naweo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 13:10:35 »
if ur sure the cable is broken..

if the other end is not detachable, you can't fix the cable, just buy a new replacement (top) or (keyboard)

Hey, thanks!

I do not know that. All I did was unscrewed the case, unplug/replug the battery cable and the SD/MB power cable plus the SSD.

Then it went from turning on and getting stuck pre-bios to not turning on at all.

Does it look like to you the cable should be functional?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 13:46:19 »
ur picture's pretty blurry..   but it doesn't look like the copper is completely rubbed off.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 16:36:23 »
Those types of ribbon cables do not use copper contacts, it's probably silver or just tin.

These cables are VERY fickle about being in perfectly straight, this looks like it was in crooked at one point and because of the focus or color correction I can't tell if there is a strip missing across the face or if that's just glare. If it's missing, the cable is toast. You might get away with putting it in only 90% of the way so the contacts hit each other, but this should be seen as a temporary solution, not a permanent one. Oh, and these can be plugged in backwards, they won't work, but they can go in the wrong way, and some are not obvious.

If that is just the Sd card to MB, the system will boot without it, however that's a large ribbon for just an sd card connector. Regardless, if it was crooked, it could cause a short and not allow the laptop to boot.  If it is just the sd card (and maybe some usb ports), leave it disconnected and see if it boots.

By the way you need to be EXTREMELY careful with these connectors as the laptops age, after about 5-7 years even opening them can lead to a  broken connector (yay for cheap plastic and laptop heat).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Naweo

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 10:31:14 »
Those types of ribbon cables do not use copper contacts, it's probably silver or just tin.

These cables are VERY fickle about being in perfectly straight, this looks like it was in crooked at one point and because of the focus or color correction I can't tell if there is a strip missing across the face or if that's just glare. If it's missing, the cable is toast. You might get away with putting it in only 90% of the way so the contacts hit each other, but this should be seen as a temporary solution, not a permanent one. Oh, and these can be plugged in backwards, they won't work, but they can go in the wrong way, and some are not obvious.

If that is just the Sd card to MB, the system will boot without it, however that's a large ribbon for just an sd card connector. Regardless, if it was crooked, it could cause a short and not allow the laptop to boot.  If it is just the sd card (and maybe some usb ports), leave it disconnected and see if it boots.

By the way you need to be EXTREMELY careful with these connectors as the laptops age, after about 5-7 years even opening them can lead to a  broken connector (yay for cheap plastic and laptop heat).

Thank you, I will try. If the cable is toast, do you have recommendation for replacement or do I need to contact MSI?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:01:04 »
Ebay is pretty much your only hope.
MSI will probably want you to send the whole thing to them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion