Author Topic: Hello from Portland, Oregon  (Read 1586 times)

Offline sodiumjoe

Hello from Portland, Oregon
« on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 22:28:31 »
Hi, geekhack!

My first mechanical keyboard was a Leopold FC200RT/AB (tenkeyless, Cherry MX browns, blank keycaps). I was pretty happy with it except for having to send it back once for key chatter issues.

My next upgrade was to a Realforce 87u (I gave the fc200 to a coworker to help him learn to touch-type). I love this keyboard except it seems impossible to find a full set of blank keycaps for it. So when the Novatouch came out, I bought it immediately with a cheap set of blanks. I used it for a few months, but when I tried the Realforce again, I realized I couldn't go back to the Novatouch. The keyfeel was just so much better on the Realforce.

Next, I'm looking at the fc660c. I think I can get used to the layout, and I got in on Hasu's GB for the new controller. I'm also thinking about switching out the sliders from the Novatouch so I can get a set of blanks on there. I also got in on Matt3o's /dev/tty set on massdrop, so maybe they'll find a home on the fc660c.

I'd like to try out a topre hipro at some point, and if I like it, I think my (impossible?) endgame would be an fc660c with type-s switches and blank topre hipro caps.

My guiding motivations are that I need a more or less standard layout, because I switch between laptop keyboard and plugged in to a workstation with monitor and keyboard frequently. I love the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber, and I haven't tried any high profile/spherical caps yet, but I suspect I will like them (and I definitely like the aesthetic). But I have pretty minimalist taste, so I like simple lines, small bezels, and no unnecessary marks or lights (since I never look down at my keyboard).

Anyway, I've been lurking for a bit and learning a lot, so I appreciate all the knowledge in this community!

Offline xine007

Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 06:48:52 »
Welcome fellow Topre friend!