Author Topic: Lubing membrane keyboard?  (Read 8994 times)

Offline Yuvalhad12

• Lol I luv keyboards
Lubing membrane keyboard?
« on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 14:11:02 »
I sold my custom mechanical keyboard, with brown, yellow and red gateron switches for 42.5$.
It costed me more than 80$ and lots of hours, and I sold it just for the sake of getting a brand new Dell AT101W for $50~.
The catch? Shipping prices somehow got raised dramatically to 60$. Result? I was left with 25$ (Because shipping my custom keyboard isn't cheap) and sad life (JK).

Because of my dumb moves I went back to my nasty-but-trusty keyboard: Microsoft wireless 800. It looked and felt horrible, but it worked and I am happy.
After few days of use I got sick and tired of that rattly keys so I thought of a crazy idea: Lubing it.

It is pretty basic to lube it, actually. You take off a keycap, you take some grease (I used cheap printer grease that costs 4$, oops?) with a tooth stick, and just spread it in the stem.
I started with my alphas, and what can I say? I really like the results.
The keyboard has a Thick, bold and silent THOCK, and almost no rattle. I love it!
It did help the bigger keys, actually more than I thought but they aren't quiet as the smaller keys.

In this vid I lubed only the spacebar and the whole middle row (where F and J are). Like I said before, when I realized I love the result I lubed the whole board.
I have also noticed a drawback, the keyboard is stiffer now and I miss (just a little bit) keystrokes than before. I am sure I will get used to that, so not a big deal.

I have also got a question-
I will be going to a trip soon to the USA, where there are a lot of good, cheap, ANSI layout-ed keyboards in eBay. I will buy some of them, but which of them are good and recommneded ? I also look for a little less stiffer rubber dome, something about 60cN, even less if possible.
BTW, No, I would not like to buy a dell AT101W or any other kind of mechanical keyboard, because I will make myself a hard life by doing so- starts from modding the switches to buy a custom case and pcb, so no, just them good ol' rubber dome\membranes will be good enough.

That's it for now, f you have Quests or Answers I will happily answer them!
Keyboards:

*Zero keyboard with Gateron red, yellow and brown- Sold because I was stupid

*Old yellowed Clicky-modded Dell AT101W

*Lubed Microsoft 800 that currently is my daily driver

Offline Yuvalhad12

• Lol I luv keyboards
Re: Lubing membrane keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 15:16:46 »
umm.. bump? I stiil need anwers lol
Keyboards:

*Zero keyboard with Gateron red, yellow and brown- Sold because I was stupid

*Old yellowed Clicky-modded Dell AT101W