Author Topic: HHKB doesn't seem to work... have tried a few things. Any ideas?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
I bought an HHKB on Geekhack marketplace, it's a hypersphered, 55g modded one, if that matters. It arrived today but doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a Macbook Air and I checked in system profiler, the USB port has recognised an HHKB Pro 2.  However, none of the keypresses register and it messes with my trackpad. I've tried playing with the dip-switches, tried it in HHKB, Lite, Mac mode, etc. I've turned all the dips off.... no joy. I've restarted multiple times.  I installed the driver although I'm on Sierra so it shouldn't matter...

- If I unplug and plug it back in it spews out a string of characters and then when I try to click anywhere with my trackpad it shows the right -click menu as if ctrl is held down.

- I've tried it on a Windows PC and it doesn't work on there either, although it's recognised as a USB device. It's also Hypersphered and 55g modded.

- I've tried two different mini-USB cables. Same results.

- keyboardtester.com endlessly clicks as if a key is being held down but shows no keys registering.

- My Hasu controller also arrived today. Is it worth me trying to install that and see if it fixes anything? Is it possible something has dislodged in transit that could be causing the problem? Maybe some key has got stuck and taking it apart will sort it out. I dunno...

Any ideas?

Offline rustywok

Re: HHKB doesn't seem to work... have tried a few things. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 12:01:48 »
I had a balky HHKB Pro2 that did that no keys registering thing. I installed a Hasu controller, (no BT) t and now the board works perfectly. It's worth a shot and installation is a snap.

Offline hapakey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 13:24:45 »
I bought an HHKB on Geekhack marketplace, it's a hypersphered, 55g modded one, if that matters. It arrived today but doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a Macbook Air and I checked in system profiler, the USB port has recognised an HHKB Pro 2.  However, none of the keypresses register and it messes with my trackpad. I've tried playing with the dip-switches, tried it in HHKB, Lite, Mac mode, etc. I've turned all the dips off.... no joy. I've restarted multiple times.  I installed the driver although I'm on Sierra so it shouldn't matter...

- If I unplug and plug it back in it spews out a string of characters and then when I try to click anywhere with my trackpad it shows the right -click menu as if ctrl is held down.

- I've tried it on a Windows PC and it doesn't work on there either, although it's recognised as a USB device. It's also Hypersphered and 55g modded.

- I've tried two different mini-USB cables. Same results.

- keyboardtester.com endlessly clicks as if a key is being held down but shows no keys registering.

- My Hasu controller also arrived today. Is it worth me trying to install that and see if it fixes anything? Is it possible something has dislodged in transit that could be causing the problem? Maybe some key has got stuck and taking it apart will sort it out. I dunno...

Any ideas?

Sounds like a mod gone bad.

Ask buyer for refund.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 15:32:24 »
Seller here, unless something happened in transit, it should be working fine, I was using it for a month without problems, post mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 16:16:36 »
Yep, all good. I'm now typing this on my wonderful modded HHKB. The ribbon cable inside had come loose in transit, quickly discovered as soon as I got home and opened it up. Panic over! Didn't doubt you Air tree, I only posted on here looking for suggestions in case you didn't get the PM for a bit.  Anyway, Hasu controller now installed. Time to delve into programming this thing.

Oh and by the way, it feels and sounds amazing, frankly. Topre feel is real. Very happy right now.  :D

Offline Bucake

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 17:23:22 »
happy hasu keyboard, now we're talking!
mine's 45g, i love it. (since i have a 55g RF, i am keeping the hhkb at 45g.)

haven't used the RF in months simply because the programability of the hhkb is so convenient. it's almost a shame :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 20:31:02 »
Stop using a Hackney Hapless Cringebored rubber dome and get a real keyboard.