Author Topic: Reduce RSI via Topre: success story  (Read 4882 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Reduce RSI via Topre: success story
« on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 06:15:19 »
Disclaimer: yes, I am aware that it would be even better to switch to an ergodox or something like that to even better cope with RSI.

So a couple of people around me were complaining about RSI. They were using the most fabulous keyboards, like the default HP and Dell domes that came with their PCs. So I told them there's mechanical keyboards and that Topre boards specifically will help dampen or soften the downstroke due to the rubber dome in the boards. And also that the actuation is very crisp, so you don't have to smash down every time on the keys to make sure the key registers.

So they were very very hesitant to buy the board: they thought I was insane and "why the f would somebody every buy a board around 200-250 dollars." I told them I'd buy the board back if it didn't work, so they jumped ship and bought one.

After a week already, they said to me that all their wrist pains went away. It even reduced their arthrosis pains and symptoms in their fingers and finger joints.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Reduce RSI via Topre: success story
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 10:37:12 »
Incorrect

Reversing RSI works better with cherry MX ..  

We know that the 2mm actuation helps to retrain people not to press really hard, or HOLD the key after they've completed the key stroke.  In that way, the Retraining could reduce RSI.

But it doesn't necessarily REQUIRE that you buy a whole new setup for this to happen if you explain to them what they're doing wrong.

Without 2mm actuation,  you have to press the key all the way down.

When the capacitance membrane on regular rubber domes wears out,  this type of keyboard becomes less responsive.

The TRICK that we pick up is to either press the key HARDER,  or to press and HOLD the key until it registers.

This is your standard Operant conditioning.  And it trains you up into a bad technique.

In order to Detrain,  you have to be aware of the mechanism,  and i suppose this is also where a different feeling keyboard would help.

There is also the case where people have mentioned they CONTINUE to get wrist pains on Topre while not on MX..

This could very well be due to the fact that TOPRE is very similar to the rubber dome membrane boards,  THEREBY  continuing to stimulate bad typing habits.

WHEREAS typically,   cherry mx feels much more different than topre to the membrane sheet keyboards, increasing the odds of retraining.

Offline consolation

Re: Reduce RSI via Topre: success story
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 16:18:28 »
You will die of old age before wearing out the Topre domes, it's not an issue; I can't recall anyone ever seeing a worn out topre switch.

The rest of your post, it's hard to work out what it is trying to say.

:-(