Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bora  (Read 7633 times)

Offline anonymous

[IC] GMK Bora
« on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 04:34:35 »

Hi guys!

Three days ago, I posted an IC of a GMK keyset on reddit and it seems that many are interested. You can check the reddit post here: https://redd.it/6m6azq

Below was the original colorway and the one initially posted on reddit. I initially planned to have an add-on alpha kit and I decided that it should be in a dark color.
I used hex code for the colors but I was informed that GMK uses Pantone even for custom colors.

The photos below are the new ones I made with Pantone colors closest to the initial colorway.

Based from suggestions
  • the numpad will be changed
  • the add-on dark alphas will be taken out and will be replaced by a light color alpha
  • the spacebar will be changed to a color that is in the gradient

Now, I need your help in deciding
  • which color of the alphas should be used as an add-on
  • what should be the color of the spacebar
  • the colorway of the numpad

Alphas:

Green  or Blue?

Spacebar:
Dark Blue

Blue

Green

Yellow

Numpad:

*For option number four, the yellow and alternate colors of the arrow keys will be included.

Here is a survey form I set-up https://goo.gl/forms/QyC8CfmGId2EZ6Lq2. If you have time, kindly submit your responses.

Things to do:
  • Gather feedback
  • Finalize colorway, add compatibility kits
  • Make new renders

Timeline:
July 9 - Post IC on Reddit
July 12 - Post IC on Geekhack

I want to gather many feedback as much as possible  so please share your insights, constructive criticisms and suggestions. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 05:05:20 by anonymous »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: [IC] GMK Bora
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 04:45:28 »
Looks pretty good. It's definitely unique.
I'd probably be down for a set.

Also: filled out your survey.

Offline Auk

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 05:28:44 »
I saw this on reddit, and seeing it second time I think:
  • I like the KLE render colors a lot.
  • I'm not certain how I feel yet about the the colors, especially (light) blue, green and yellow on the other images.
  • This could make a good set for the ortholinear users, start a tally now of how many time you get asked for blanks!
  • Colemak?  :eek:  how many extra keys would this need? :(
  • Blue or dark blue for the spacebar, although the gray works, green or yellow not so much.

Did you have a timeline in mind to run this?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 05:47:52 by Auk »

Offline anonymous

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 05:36:15 »
I saw this on reddit, and seeing it second time I think:
  • I like the KLE render colors a lot.
  • I'm not certain how I feel yet about the the colors, especially (light) blue, green and yellow on the other images.
  • IThis could make a good set for the ortholinear users, start a tally now of how many time you get asked for blanks!
  • Colemak?  :eek:  how many extra keys would this need? :(
  • Blue or dark blue for the spacebar, although the gray works, green or yellow not so much.

Did you have a timeline in mind to run this?

This is my first time running an IC/GB so I am not sure how long will be the process. Altho I am hoping to finalize everything by next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Auk

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:50:50 »
I got curious about the Colemak requirements, so while I don't expect it to be offered with Bora, is the correct summary as below?
  • 12 row changes for the Colemak profile, without changing any colors
  • 16 row and/or color changes due to Bora color scheme with Colemak layout
  • Backspace replaces caps lock

173082-0   

173078-1   

173080-2

and if it were added, Colemak Mod-DH would require another two keys, D and H on row 4:

173084-3
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:15:19 by Auk »

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:15:30 »
Will you be adding the typical modifiers; 1.75u shift, 1u R3/R4 mods etc? You may want to do that early on so people can help you work out their color schemes also be cause of the uniqueness of this set. Definitely on board regardless, this set deserves its own board, very nice work.  :thumb:

Offline anonymous

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:17:53 »
Will you be adding the typical modifiers; 1.75u shift, 1u R3/R4 mods etc? You may want to do that early on so people can help you work out their color schemes also be cause of the uniqueness of this set. Definitely on board regardless, this set deserves its own board, very nice work.  :thumb:

I would. Maybe this weekend since I am quite busy.

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:23:13 »
I posted this image on Instagram three days ago, great minds and all that. Good luck with the IC, obviously I like the colour theme enough to the extent I physically made it in prototype form. Makes note not to share imagery of keysets I'm working on in the future.  Your colour choices are way off, for it to be an actual colour theory mix, just a heads up.
I understand there can be similarities in designs and creative output, I have come across it countless times in my decades working as a creative, but really???...... ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 07:56:04 by Esquimo »

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 14:55:20 »
Man alll these fantastic looking gmk sets are coming out so close of each other its crazy. I like this set a lot though and hopefully can pick one up. I'm liking the blues a lot for the alphas and the yellow space bar kind gives me the illusion of the water ebbing and flowing.

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 17:28:26 »
Justification from anonymous? The community can decide. A prototype casted set v's webpage renders, both posted on the same day, sigh.....

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 17:39:26 »
double post.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:52:07 by Esquimo »

Offline anonymous

[IC] GMK Bora
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:01:07 »
Hi guys. Although this  is far from happening, I will stop developing this keyset(for now). Apparently, someone already have the idea of this colorway (although different pattern) prior to my posts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 11:08:33 by anonymous »

Offline Auk

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:18:27 »
Starry Night : IC posted April 16th 2016

173194-0

It looks like both 'new' ideas are respins of this older concept, which may have been inspired by something else anyway. I don't see how anyone can claim ownership of this color combination.

EDIT: I say may have been inspired, the colors and ideas can be traced back to the Van Gogh painting cited in the JellyKey's IC, so while I can't quite place where the colors have been used before in products, there definitely is a broader sense of familiarity about them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:51:07 by Auk »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:24:33 »
Agree with Auk, this entire subject seems rather silly.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:32:11 »
Agree with Auk, this entire subject seems rather silly.

What "subject" are you referring to?

Offline anonymous

[IC] GMK Bora
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:00:28 »
Starry Night : IC posted April 16th 2016

(Attachment Link)

It looks like both 'new' ideas are respins of this older concept, which may have been inspired by something else anyway. I don't see how anyone can claim ownership of this color combination.

EDIT: I say may have been inspired, the colors and ideas can be traced back to the Van Gogh painting cited in the JellyKey's IC, so while I can't quite place where the colors have been used before in products, there definitely is a broader sense of familiarity about them.

How can one claim an ownership of a colorway/keyset? Because he was insisting that I ripped the idea from him because he have a prototype of a keyset with nearly identical colors but different pattern from mine. And I only have a web generated render

In my defense, I've never seen that before and I didn't mean to copy anyones idea.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:02:02 by anonymous »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:35:55 »
What "subject" are you referring to?

The whole "proof of ownership" shebang above.

Are the colours similar? Yea, but as Auk said Jellykey's Starry Night looks similar too, doesn't mean you two copied them - **** happens, there is a finite amount of colour combinations people can come up with and if someone happens to have posted a picture of a gradient using the same colours you envisioned I don't think that means you should stop pursuing the idea, I think it's an admission of guilt that you shouldn't have to burden yourself with if it wasn't blatantly copied.

I'm all for respecting designs and definitely don't endorse stuff like the Chinese copies of popular sets (unless the designers are okay with it) but I don't think someone should be punished for something like this.

Offline Auk

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:41:51 »
How can one claim an ownership of a colorway/keyset?

This isn't the first time this type of drama occurs with keysets. With established conventions on alphas and modifiers, there is a limit to how ideas and colors can be used. My personal belief is that, no you can't lay claim to color combinations, the whole execution matters, and you actually have to follow through. Straight copies are likely to not be well received, and ripping off original novelties or icons without permission is unacceptable.

The last post by @joinhandmade on the Starry Night IC was May 31st 2016. The last post in the thread was Oct 2016. That project looks dead. Esquimo posted a different interpretation than yours. I can see why he might feel aggrieved, but I wouldn't assume you copied him. It seems like a case of bad timing, and as I said above, neither of you can claim to be first.

If this meoldrama didn't sour you against the project and you want to move forward, you could message joinhandmade and see how he feels about this. If there is no ill feeling, go forward with your own interpretation if that's what you want to do.

Esquimo can do likewise if that's what he wants.

Offline avid

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:45:28 »
Esquimo is wrong and being an ass about it. His keys also looks very bad.

Anonymous, just put him on ignore. The gmk bora is using simular colors - sure, but your execution is much better. 

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:44:44 »
One thing that has taught me is not to share work on the internet with folks publically. Best thing to do is learn from that and move on.

Thanks for the feedback Avid.  :))

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:45:51 »
Esquimo's position is untenable at best, and just plain ridiculous on any other day. Using his argument, one can posit he's directly copying DSA Borealis and SA Gradient with some minor tweaks. Unless he construct a better argument other than "Becasuse, colors!", ignore the troll.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:47:48 by lecorsair »

Offline anonymous

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 11:02:19 »
Thanks for the support guys. If many are interested, I might continue developing this set. For now, just respond to the survey

Offline Auk

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 11:08:09 »
One thing that has taught me is not to share work on the internet with folks publically. Best thing to do is learn from that and move on.

Starry Night keyset is posted over a year before yours, the original Van Gogh painting is 128 years old. I was trying to be respectful of everyone and not take sides, but perhaps the lesson you should take from this is to be more gracious and show some humility when your idea is proven to be not as original as you'd assumed.

Offline Esquimo

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 13:56:21 »

Starry Night keyset is posted over a year before yours, the original Van Gogh painting is 128 years old. I was trying to be respectful of everyone and not take sides, but perhaps the lesson you should take from this is to be more gracious and show some humility when your idea is proven to be not as original as you'd assumed.

Apart from the fact my colour choices aren't the same as starry nights, where as even by Anonymous's words in our PM's, which makes very interesting reading, ours are exactly the same. I'm not here to dispute ownership of colours, just to shed some light on the situation.

Regardless, this is my last post in this thread, good luck with the keyset, like the colours I chemically mixed on my M10-a photograph. ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 14:14:15 by Esquimo »

Offline Auk

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 14:30:14 »
...ours are exactly the same...

If that is true then you really should not have posted the above comment:

...Your colour choices are way off, for it to be an actual colour theory mix, just a heads up...

His render does look different than your photo and unfortunately you reinforced that perception with your own comment.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 15:25:44 »
Regardless, this is my last post in this thread, good luck with the keyset, like the colours I chemically mixed on my M10-a photograph. ;)

I honestly think you have absolutely no reason to be as smug as you are, that phrase doesn't even make sense - "like the colours I(...)", what's that supposed to mean? "like" what, in relation to the first part of your sentence? Syntactically that's completely mangled, it'd be great if I could understand the point you're getting through but I feel you are too self absorbed to try and actually make a proper argument as for why you feel your intellectual property has been stolen.

Either way, I feel it is best for you to lay the subject to rest so that's the sensible call to be made there indeed.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 23:24:14 »

Apart from the fact my colour choices aren't the same as starry nights, where as even by Anonymous's words in our PM's, which makes very interesting reading, ours are exactly the same. I'm not here to dispute ownership of colours, just to shed some light on the situation.

You don't own the peacock color scheme... and it's not original...

Otherwise known as NBC Inverted:

So... sure... enjoy "chemically mixing colours on your M10-a photograph" w/e that means... but don't pretend you own a natural and common color scheme cause you posted a picture on flexigram.

Although, you already sold yourself out on IG with your "color theory":

Oh look at me the amazing colorist, I can buy a keycap set, replace red with blue and I'm even more epic as a colorist, zomg color theory fam!!! You clearly are to color what Kanye West is to lyrics...

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 17:33:25 »

Oh look at me the amazing colorist, I can buy a keycap set, replace red with blue and I'm even more epic as a colorist, zomg color theory fam!!! You clearly are to color what Kanye West is to lyrics...

Show Image

Lmao!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 July 2017, 17:38:50 by sublyme »

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 18:48:51 »
looks cool but not for me. good luck though!