Author Topic: OMG 4k bluray haz arrived..  (Read 2663 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
OMG 4k bluray haz arrived..
« on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 12:44:48 »
But there are still no ULMB 4k ips panels....

GDI GDI..

Offline jonathanyu

Re: OMG 4k bluray haz arrived..
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 14:10:31 »
U guys are buying 4K while I'm saving to buy 1080 144hz....

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 15:26:00 »
4k is just a passing fad, the technology is going to be eclipsed within the next two years

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 15:29:01 »
4K BluRay does not exist.

"4K" requires support for an image of 4096×2160. Ultra-HD BluRays are only 3840×2160, meaning that the image would have to be scaled or cropped.
Ultra-HD BluRay do support high dynamic range though, from some reason a wider color gamut than the cinema standard and which no screen currently is capable off.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 July 2017, 00:43:54 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 21:08:23 »
4k is just a passing fad, the technology is going to be eclipsed within the next two years

Hrrrrmm...  well.... I highly doubt it,   because 8k would require ~500GB per disc.

Those disks are 4 layers..   each 8k bluray movie would probably be $50

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 02:44:29 »

"4K" requires support for an image of 4096×2160. Ultra-HD BluRays are only 3840×2160, meaning that the image would have to be scaled or cropped.
Ultra-HD BluRay do support high dynamic range though, from some reason a wider color gamut than the cinema standard and which no screen currently is capable off.

4k is a cinema standard... I'm sure TVs would be 4096 if people were actually willing to rock wider screens (they arent).

UHD BD supports the full BT2020 cinema standard just like Dolby Cinemas and newer Imax screens... The "for some reason" is what is know as "future proofing" since while TVs today might not be able to support the full BT2020 standard... they will be able to eventually, and content is beginning to be recorded as such (for example Lego Batman was produced entirely in BT2020).

Have you actually watched anything on a 4k BD? The picture is AMAZE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 03:19:11 »
The picture is AMAZE
Pictures can't be verbs.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 03:21:07 »
The picture is AMAZE
Pictures can't be verbs.

And yet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 July 2017, 03:28:28 by Amnesia »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 15:05:22 »

4k is a cinema standard... I'm sure TVs would be 4096 if people were actually willing to rock wider screens (they arent).

UHD BD supports the full BT2020 cinema standard just like Dolby Cinemas and newer Imax screens... The "for some reason" is what is know as "future proofing" since while TVs today might not be able to support the full BT2020 standard... they will be able to eventually, and content is beginning to be recorded as such (for example Lego Batman was produced entirely in BT2020).

I wouldn't call it amazing because the majority of 4K tvs I've seen still have alot of pixel transition blur, 

The still-shots look very clear..   but when things go in motion,  it's choppy from the 24fps, but also from the ghosting.

We really really need ULMB on the big screen,  hasn't happened yet though..  Sony's iteration only does 60hz.. and it's still not very clear..

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 15:22:48 »

I wouldn't call it amazing because the majority of 4K tvs I've seen still have alot of pixel transition blur, 

The still-shots look very clear..   but when things go in motion,  it's choppy from the 24fps, but also from the ghosting.

We really really need ULMB on the big screen,  hasn't happened yet though..  Sony's iteration only does 60hz.. and it's still not very clear..

I should clarify. On my calibrated 4K OLED... the picture is amazing.

I hope to god HFR movies never catch on. They make me wanna vomit. Don't get me wrong, the UHD-BD of Billy Lynn (4k60) is increasingly sharp, but it just didn't work for me.

For gaming, i absolutely agree HFR is important. Upside the next HDMI version supports dynamic refresh rates, so hopefully tvs will support it within a few years. Will make gaming on big screens far more pleasant. But for movies there is no point. They are produced at 24fps, and motion interpolation is just awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 15:26:48 »

I should clarify. On my calibrated 4K OLED... the picture is amazing.

OLED is faster than lcds in most cases,   but it still can not match LCD with ULMB at the moment.

OLED is currently equivalent to ~120hz NON-ULMB   Lcd in terms of "Motion-Clarity"

The reason OLED may never be as good in terms of motion, is because the transition pixel clock can not be dimmed. So you will always get ghosting.

Whereas on the LCD,  the black frame insertion through ULMB can completely remove the transition trail.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 15:36:58 »
Don't forget ULMB is only supported on 85+hz

It's not really relevant for movies.

I am hoping the next gen of OLED will do 120hz though, would be great for games :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 15:41:46 »

I am hoping the next gen of OLED will do 120hz though, would be great for games :D

OLED is unrivaled for black level.  but I don't think it's as good for games because the most important aspect to-games is motion.

Movies are shot TODAY, with alot of stills and slow-pans,  precisely because of the 24fps + display technology/blurring.

Fingers crossed for  james cameron to break the cycle..

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 15:58:39 »

OLED is unrivaled for black level.  but I don't think it's as good for games because the most important aspect to-games is motion.

Movies are shot TODAY, with alot of stills and slow-pans,  precisely because of the 24fps + display technology/blurring.

Fingers crossed for  james cameron to break the cycle..

That's why I mentioned Billy Lynn. Ang Lee shot the whole thing in 120hz. I absolutely hated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 17:58:18 »
QLED is the future, 8k

4k is for n00bs

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 19:43:45 »