Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
Greetings!
« on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 19:28:09 »
I am pretty new to the Keyboard Community, just saw some posts on imgur one day and decided I was obsessed with it...haha. I have tons of experience electronic soldering, etc. and am an IT Manager about to start my own consulting company. For my first board I just purchased:
  • Rev2 Zeal60 RGB LED PCB
  • R7 Purple Zealio Switches (Tactile) - 65G
  • Gold Plated PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers V2 - 4x 2u, 1x 6.25u
  • 60% Aluminium / Acrylic Sandwich Case & Aluminium Feet
  • G20 "Stealth" Keycap Set (Night Mode Base)
  • DSA "Otaku" Keycap Set (Modifier)
  • 1-Artisan Aluminum 3D Key (Will show once build is done  ;D)

I do have a youtube channel that I have setup and haven't used, but I am intending on making a video of the build as well since I haven't really seen any using the Rev2 Zeal60, etc.

Anyway, I hope to be as active as I can on here and participate when I can and will update posts if I am able to make any videos or take photos.

Have a good one everyone!

Offline raxander

Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 22:12:46 »
That's going to be a great board!  Congrats.  I have had a problem with the wires popping out on those screw-in stabilizers (as have others), but you can pop them back in if you're patient without desoldering anything.  I like them though and would still use them in the future despite that issue.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 08:21:05 »
That's going to be a great board!  Congrats.  I have had a problem with the wires popping out on those screw-in stabilizers (as have others), but you can pop them back in if you're patient without desoldering anything.  I like them though and would still use them in the future despite that issue.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm also trying to decide if they need to be lubed as well and debating on lubing the switches. My concern was if I lube the switches do I need to get stickers for them as well. Or should I just try out the board without lubricating first.

Offline raxander

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 08:50:07 »
If your plate lets you open the switches without desoldering then I guess you could always do it later?  Otherwise I guess it's better to lube them.  I didn't lube my 67g or 78g zealios and they feel great to me but I don't have a direct comparison to lubed ones and I'm not a connoisseur.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 08:58:28 »
Ok, I will probably go ahead and lubricate then. I know my case comes with a plate that is supposed to allow that, but better to do it ahead and save a possible headache.  :thumb: Also, for reference to your comment on the stabilizers, did you have Rev 1's or the Rev 2's with those issues?

Offline raxander

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:09:43 »
Ok, I will probably go ahead and lubricate then. I know my case comes with a plate that is supposed to allow that, but better to do it ahead and save a possible headache.  :thumb: Also, for reference to your comment on the stabilizers, did you have Rev 1's or the Rev 2's with those issues?

Rev 2.

EDIT:  I lubed them with dielectric grease, which may increase the probability of popping out, not sure, haven't tried dry ones.  Like I said above, though, you can pop them back in without desoldering, just takes some patience and long tiny screwdriver or similar implement.  I would consider it a problem if I was making the board for someone else but would still use them for myself.  I also had a problem with the metal screws shorting the pcb (Satan GH60), but that's an easy fix (duct tape yay!) and I really don't think you'll have that issue with the zeal60.

EDIT 2:  I should clarify: they don't randomly pop out during use, only when changing keycaps, and not every time.  So it doesn't affect normal operation.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:47:38 by raxander »

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:31:54 »
Ah ok, well since i've already spent my wallet on this build, I don't think I will be changing keys out anytime soon. Haha, but thanks a lot for clarifying.