Author Topic: AUKEY Blue Switches KM-G9 87-Key Keyboard -- $20  (Read 8312 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
AUKEY Blue Switches KM-G9 87-Key Keyboard -- $20
« on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 11:36:34 »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKV8R9Z/

code 4T3PF344

New code 99PSQSWS
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 19:49:42 by xmagusx »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: AUKEY Blue Switches KM-G9 87-Key Keyboard -- $20
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 19:31:29 »
This looks similar to the $24 Tubot TKL we talked about here a short time ago, though I can't say how this one's build compares with it.

I can't say I like the legend font very much, either. (Why is the "stencil" look necessary, with no backlighting? Were they trying to create the impression of backlighting?) You may also want to be aware that it won't qualify for free shipping, unless add something to your order to raise it over $25.

That said, it's hard to fault an entire keeb that's only $20 shipped. Man, that's guilt-inducingly cheap.

Is anyone besides me getting the feeling that the floodgates of super-cheap-MK have started to open? And that we may soon be seeing some big price changes in better boards, as the snootier KB companies start feeling the heat?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 20:20:46 »
This looks similar to the $24 Tubot TKL we talked about here a short time ago, though I can't say how this one's build compares with it.

I can't say I like the legend font very much, either. (Why is the "stencil" look necessary, with no backlighting? Were they trying to create the impression of backlighting?) You may also want to be aware that it won't qualify for free shipping, unless add something to your order to raise it over $25.

That said, it's hard to fault an entire keeb that's only $20 shipped. Man, that's guilt-inducingly cheap.

Is anyone besides me getting the feeling that the floodgates of super-cheap-MK have started to open? And that we may soon be seeing some big price changes in better boards, as the snootier KB companies start feeling the heat?

How GMK and all those expensive stuff makers would react?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 19:30:43 »
How GMK and all those expensive stuff makers would react?

Well, there'll always be a certain amount of elite niche-market stuff.  I was thinking mostly about peeps like Razer, Logitech, TT, Corsair's lower models... It must be getting increasingly harder to justify spending $80–100 on an entry-level MK when you can get one online for a third of that, shipped and tax-free.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 16:13:38 »
What I think we're more likely to see is some of those companies opting to introduce low-end MX clone boards like these along with their "1337 uber-gam3r" models with LEDs and go-faster stripes. So then they have a multi-tier solution which they can tout as 100% mechanical, and then be snooty about lesser companies who commit the eighth deadly sin of selling rubber dome keyboards for gaming purposes.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 06:45:43 »
Yeah... Ironically, if you use an RD for gaming, you're not using your dome. (I've been waiting to say that for, like, months.)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 19:48:18 »
It's back! $20 again with code 99PSQSWS

Offline Rqqt

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 11:15:09 »
Question: is this a good keyboard to get someone started in the mech keyboard game?

Basically: is this cheap "Chinese" crap that's gonna literally fall apart in a month or should one spend a little more on a first mech keyboard?

Also if you have any recommendations in this price range, they would be welcomed.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 12:01:38 »
This is quite interesting and literally a steal for the price.  It seems more like a 'we wanted to get into this market so we made this product, but it didn't sell so we're just dumping it at cost to get our money back'.  Win for the consumer though.

The only other boards I've bought in this price range that I found pretty nice were monoprice ones.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 21:08:51 »
Question: is this a good keyboard to get someone started in the mech keyboard game?... Basically: is this cheap "Chinese" crap that's gonna literally fall apart in a month or should one spend a little more on a first mech keyboard?

It's hard to tell without actually ordering and using one. If something does turn out to be "cheap crap", Amazon has a comprehensive money-back guarantee designed to make people feel more confident about ordering things online that they can't examine first.

That said, mechanical keyboards are built to be durable—that's the whole idea. And nobody (except Cherry) makes their own keyboards; they buy mechanical switches from switch-makers—and even the cheap knock-off brands like Gaote and Gateron have shown such high quality standards that some people actually prefer their switches to genuine MX's.

This is quite interesting and literally a steal for the price.  It seems more like a 'we wanted to get into this market so we made this product, but it didn't sell so we're just dumping it at cost to get our money back'.  Win for the consumer though... The only other boards I've bought in this price range that I found pretty nice were monoprice ones.

Indeed. It's also important to realize that while $20 may be pocket change to us, it's worth many times that in China—where labour is so cheap, and the standard of living so low, manufacturers can make things for pennies on the dollar.

Until recently, we weren't buying merchandise directly from Chinese vendors. It was always through one or more middle-people and distributors, who marked everything up to Western prices. Now Chinese sellers have had enough experience to sell through Western online outlets, and even build online sales structures of their own, like Alibaba.

Unfortunately, they're also finding out how much Western customers are willing to pay for items essentially being sold wholesale. When you pay a Chinese vendor $50 for a set of keys that cost them less than a dollar to produce, you can imagine they're pretty happy, and the overall effect that has on pricing. And how much of that new wealth makes its way to the common people—people who can't vote, and are thrown in prison if they demand better working conditions or protest government policies? But I digress, I guess.

Offline Rqqt

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 20:27:49 »
This is quite interesting and literally a steal for the price.  It seems more like a 'we wanted to get into this market so we made this product, but it didn't sell so we're just dumping it at cost to get our money back'.  Win for the consumer though.

The only other boards I've bought in this price range that I found pretty nice were monoprice ones.

After some reading I think it's more like... we wanted to get into this market so we just slapped our brand name (picked via a random character generator) on the current iteration of the keyboard designed by an unknown ODM that all the fly-by-night Chinese firms are using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_design_manufacturer

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 23:29:59 »
Oh man, I guess my reply to ander didn't make it for some reason. :(  I'll need to remember what was in that post and repost it...grrr....

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 14:48:05 »
I wanted to give Outemu version of "box"switches a try and this is cheaper than buying the switches lol. though i wish they were linear. i seriously would not count out these boards as they roll in every month with better revisions of their switches (recent Outemu switches I have tried feel better than Cherry) and decent thick PCBs. It was only a matter of time before this happened. I am not saying this is any sub for our custom boards which i have many, but they are equal or better than razer, corsair, das, coolermaster, etc.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2017, 14:51:45 by Glod »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 15:21:39 »
Interesting to hear about the progress of the switch development.  So did you get this particular board?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 21:35:06 »
Most likely, I'm worried I won't get the switches pictured.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Bootropper

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 07:05:00 »
Anyone using this keyboard right now? Is there a chance to switch the keycaps to Cherry MX compatible ones?