Author Topic: Getting a Cherry G80-9009 to work with PS/2 or USB? And the LCD screen too?  (Read 4708 times)

Offline ErgoMacros

Hi All,

I've seen evidence that some people have gotten the Cherry G80-9009 (Cherry G80-9009 HAG) to "talk" to a "normal" computer and am considering doing the same.

The evidence I've see is:
It looks to me like there are 3 ports on the back of the keyboard, labeled:
  • Mouse (DB-9, female)
  • Desk PC/workstation (DB-9, male)
  • Host (DB-15, male)
I'm hopeful that the "Desk PC" port will output something useful, or convertible, to scan-codes.

It would be wonderful if someone had any documentation on these keyboards.

Thanks.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline ErgoMacros

OK, I found more information here: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Key_Mou_Pad/M.1499538853.A.F7F.html

It's a Chinese site, updated recently (Sun Jul  9 02:34:09 2017) It has some cool info:
  • There's a pin-out / conversion from the DB-9 connector on the keyboard, labeled "Desk PC/Workstation," to a PS/2 connector. The implication is that it is the same electrical and timing protocol.
    • DB9 --->> PS/2
    • 1 -> 4
    • 7 -> 3
    • 8 -> 1
    • 9 -> 5
  • There's a break-out box I've never seen before, and I cannot find it anywhere else on the web (using Google) http://i.imgur.com/rLsNk1D.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/WrXa1Tl.jpg
  • There's a rough block diagram of the use of the breakout box
  • It looks like there are replies after the posted article, but can't see how to access them. Help?
  • There's a built-in calculator mode
  • It looks like the poster is using a Mac laptop

I'm guessing that connecting from the keyboard DB-9 port labeled "Desk PC/Workstation," via a custom cable to a PS/2 port on the PC would transmit scan codes.

What I don't know is if the keyboard needs power beyond what the PS/2 port can provide, and what port/pins we'd use for that.

Thanks.

Offline mwei

Hi. This is Meow Wei on YouTube.

The article you've seen on ptt.cc is posted by my friend as we are getting from the same dumpster find.

I am forwarding the information here:
Currently I measured the power cable to be like this:
DB15 Female 12V (12.6V measured) 2.5A (Labeled on the adapter) or 0.5A (Labeled on the keyboard)
Vin 12, 13, 14
GND 4, 5, 6, 8
And a bunch of passthrough pins from the kmd3 breakout box (keyboard/mouse switch), which is then connected to the terminal I guess.  I actually don't know yet if the breakout box requires power or not since I haven't really tested it.

The model I've got is a G80-9039HAAUS, which although looks identical the circuit boards uses SMD components instead of through-hole to manufacture. Also, the UART chip is replaced by a FPGA, though I don't actually know what it is doing.
I also dumped the firmware and modified the boot logo to be the newest Reuters logo too, although I found nothing that can change the keymapping or is difficult for me to do so. (I don't do reverse engineering, and I miss Windows key as I need it really much)

Here's the pictures of its internals:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicalwei/albums/72157687379663331

UPDATE: The internals of the breakout box is also uploaded.  It seems that other than connecting to a Sun computer the breakout box doesn't need extra power adapter, but the power pins are also passed through the breakout box.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 October 2017, 05:43:39 by mwei »

Offline ErgoMacros

Wow! Great photos. Looks like your keyboard is much more modern than all the G80-9009s I've seen.

Edit (add):
If you use the DP-9 to PS/2 wiring, above (post #2), then a PS/2 to USB Soarer converter:
  https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PS-2-to-USB-Soarers-Converter-Adapter-Remapping-Macros-NKRO-Support-/282575686221

you will be able to re-map any keys you want... even going to the Windows key. For example:
* Control --> Control
* Alt --> Windows
* ABBR --> Alt

Of course, you can swap key caps all you want, also.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 October 2017, 21:13:57 by ErgoMacros »

Offline mwei

you will be able to re-map any keys you want... even going to the Windows key. For example:
* Control --> Control
* Alt --> Windows
* ABBR --> Alt

My problem to this is that ABBR key in Linux xev didn't send any key code, and I want to remap the key to Windows (Super) key.

Offline ErgoMacros

Ah, then it must be sending some information out the host port, likely that is only sent to the (Sun) workstation. I am guessing.

Maybe you could move everything even farther left? or put Windows on the "Raise Orders" key?
Lastly, try the blank key next to the left shift?

You probably already thought of these though.

good luck.