Author Topic: Supposed new mechanical keyboard 15.88 new on eBay  (Read 4049 times)

Offline matt-taco

Supposed new mechanical keyboard 15.88 new on eBay
« on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:20:19 »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263174095464

It claims "Mechanical 3 color illuminated backlit usb gaming keyboard for desktop keyboard".

Doesn't say anything about switches nor that it's a mechanical feel, but the button life is indeed "1000 times". So who knows...

Claimed specs
"Features:
1. Made of aluminum alloy cover, the surface anodic oxidation
2. White suspension type two-color injection key risk
3. Three colors of rainbow backlight design
4. Magnet ring 4.0 mm high quality leather line double 
5. Mechanical axis design
6. The service life of the key about 10 million times
7. Support USB interface

Specifications:
1. Brand: LOIOG
2. Color:  White
3. Material: Aluminum Alloy & Plastic
4. Dimensions: (20.47 x 9.06 x 1.97)" / (52 x 23 x 5)cm (L x W x H)
5. Weight: 35.27 oz / 1000 g
6. Backlight: Three Colors of Rainbow Backlight
7. Button Life: 1000 Times
8. Keyboard Port: USB
9. Working Voltage: 5V
10. Working Current: 180mA
11. Power: 0.7W
12. Key Numbers: 104 Pcs"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: Supposed new mechanical keyboard 15.88 new on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:23:17 »

Looking at the sides of the "switches" shows what looks like square slider housings. It doesn't look like discrete MX switches at all. Almost certainly slider over dome.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:25:53 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2017, 12:05:36 by matt-taco »

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:30:45 »
Show Image

Looking at the sides of the "switches" shows what looks like square slider housings. It doesn't look like discrete MX switches at all. Almost certainly slider over dome.
I just noticed  it says "mechanical axis design" I look it up and supposedly they're these switches.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:57:51 »
Huh. Weird. It seems to be built for an LED in the middle to backlight the key, similar to Romer-G.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 12:03:38 »
It's being sold by Aliens (alienbid)! 

They claim many have been sold, but not one review yet.  A review would definitely give us more information.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 12:08:34 »
That looks extremely like Steelseries QS-1.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 14:33:54 »
Good eye!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 16:42:06 »
If this keyboard was using a mechanical key switch with centred LED, why would it use keycaps that look exactly the same as those that all those Chinese cheap-ass keyboards with Cherry MX-compatible switches are using?

Each of these switch modules in the photo of the keyboard above has a small tab at the north side, which the Kailh-made Steelseries QS1 switch does not have.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 16:47:27 »
If this keyboard was using a mechanical key switch with centred LED, why would it use keycaps that look exactly the same as those that all those Chinese cheap-ass keyboards with Cherry MX-compatible switches are using?

Each of these switch modules in the photo of the keyboard above has a small tab at the north side, which the Kailh-made Steelseries QS1 switch does not have.
Perhaps they're cheap ass Chinese knock offs. Nothing that cheap could have anything but generic parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 21:12:26 »
Well, "The service life of the key about 10 million times"—even the cheapest knock-offs claim several times that, so it's a good clue you're not looking at mechanical switches.

This isn't to say we're ungrateful for your drawing our attention to this, matt-taco. It's always interesting seeing what's going on in the keeb world, and having a chance to discuss it!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 11:28:08 »
There is the old adage 'you get what you pay for', but sometimes the barrier to entry into an exotic world exceeds what most can afford, so you have entry level items like this that give you a 'taste'.

Case in point is the old venerable Toyota MR2--mid-engine two seater convertible that can be found almost anywhere for much cheaper than the mid-engine two seater Porsche Boxster convertible.  The Toyota is no Boxster, but it does make an enjoyable foray into that style of car.  (And then there's the crazy modified MR2s that actually exceed what a stock Boxster could do.)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 02:10:27 »
Case in point is the old venerable Toyota MR2--mid-engine two seater convertible that can be found almost anywhere for much cheaper than the mid-engine two seater Porsche Boxster convertible.  The Toyota is no Boxster, but it does make an enjoyable foray into that style of car...

Aw, and I had one of those too, back in '92, like this one:

181684-0

It's the only car I ever bought new. Sure was fun. I'm not sure, but it may also have been what convinced my wife to marry me.

(Sheesh, people who won't let you link directly to their images... So you save the image instead and UL as part of your post. Pointless hoop-jumping.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 15:46:43 »
Case in point is the old venerable Toyota MR2--mid-engine two seater convertible that can be found almost anywhere for much cheaper than the mid-engine two seater Porsche Boxster convertible.  The Toyota is no Boxster, but it does make an enjoyable foray into that style of car...

Aw, and I had one of those too, back in '92, like this one:

(Attachment Link)

It's the only car I ever bought new. Sure was fun. I'm not sure, but it may also have been what convinced my wife to marry me.

(Sheesh, people who won't let you link directly to their images... So you save the image instead and UL as part of your post. Pointless hoop-jumping.)
Quite sweet!  There was a Japanese gentleman working at the Toyota engine plant in Huntsville for a few years and bought one of those and completely restored it using fresh parts from Japan--and then autocrossed it.  :thumb:  Nothing like seeing a JDM styled MR2 with Volks getting the back end kicked out a bit.  (I know I have some pictures of this too, but haven't properly published them yet to link to them.  :-[)

(Not directly linkable?  What in the world for?  It's a great way to get seo and also always allows the owner to have control of his/her work.)