Author Topic: IBM Model M - Black - M13  (Read 4586 times)

Offline invisiblefly

Offline JP

Re: IBM Model M - Black - M13
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 07:41:47 »
I'm not quite what the hype is for these black M13's. They look cool, but have the printing tends to wear off of the keys. Also the plastic is inferior to the old Model M's. It seems thinner and can crack. I had one once and it typed like a dream. It seems like the going rate is $200 and all of them are listed on eBay as RARE, yet I've seen plenty of them come up for sale. Maybe they are uncommon, but wouldn't say they are rare though. Heck, I even seen an old box sell for around $30.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 08:11:44 »
They just look cool -- although perhaps better in the photographs than in real life.  You can also nab the keys off them for other boards: I have black keys on my F122, though the effect is spoiled a bit because I have been unable to get black replacements for the two Shift keys, space, and Enter.  (And two keys, backspace and numpad Enter, are missing stabilizers so they feel a bit limp.)

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 08:12:37 »
The biggest problem with them is the two mouse buttons, which are often wonky and can break.  Then the nipple mouse is just not very good either... OK I guess we all agree that they're overhyped :-p

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 08:14:40 »
Back in the day I did use one to make the ideal all-black, all-IBM desktop: https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7145/6851350945_2128400407.jpg

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 09:38:59 »

I have been unable to get black replacements for the two Shift keys, space, and Enter.  (And two keys, backspace and numpad Enter, are missing stabilizers so they feel a bit limp.)
Unicomp sells replacement insert stabilizers. And you might be able to get black blanks from them for the mismatched caps.

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:19:00 »
I bought a set of blank caps from Unicomp, using it for F13 to F24 and other odd keys that are on the 122-key layout but not the M13.  However it didn't include compatible Shift, Space, or Enter keys (it was for US-style Enter I believe).

I will look into the question of replacement stabilizers again, but bear in mind that these keys are stabilized differently on the F122 compared to the vanilla Model M.  Which is why the M keys don't sit right at the moment.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:33:13 »
Back in the day I did use one to make the ideal all-black, all-IBM desktop:
Show Image

That was a gorgeous setup!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:35:43 »
I saw this earlier and was actually thinking it was some sort of knockoff with painted keycaps since they were wearing out (which I've never seen on the regular M).  :))

Good thing I already have an M13 or I would have really, really wanted one.  I always like the trackpoint.  But the buttons definitely could have been better for sure.

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:35:54 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:06:01 by gak1234 »