Author Topic: Lot of 3 Model M's, $41 each (shipped)  (Read 2532 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Lot of 3 Model M's, $41 each (shipped)
« on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 19:12:31 »
Lot of 3 Vintage Lexmark Model M Clickety Keyboard P/N 1378162

These are the relatively rare p/n 1378152 with no logo badges. By 1993, IBM wasn't ordering many more buckling-spring boards from the now-independent Lexmark, so Lexmark found opportunities to sell some to OEMs (some of whom added their own logos) without worrying about offending Big Blue—whose BS patent had expired, and who never tried to patent their key layout or board design.

When Unicomp took over a few years later and designed their own BS cases, they included a larger, rectangular OEM logo area. But in '93, with BS production at historically low levels, Lexmark couldn't justify retooling unless customers paid for it.

Lot of three, all keys present, in good used shape, BIN price $99.00 + 24.99 shipping. That comes out to $41.33 each, shipped.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Lot of 3 Model M's, $41 each (shipped)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 23:26:25 »
Nice find!  Only scary thing about that listing is the whole paragraph long 'as-is' disclaimer in the description.  Still, they look like they're in great shape and that's a solid deal for anyone who's wanted an M, or two, or three.  Great find!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 03:02:25 »
Nice find!  Only scary thing about that listing is the whole paragraph long 'as-is' disclaimer in the description...

I agree they went a bit overboard with all the text, but it just looks like boilerplate they paste into all their listings. They're a non-profit that recycles stuff to raise money for disadvantaged people, so I don't think they're out to con anyone. If they're volunteers, their technical knowledge may be limited, too. I think they're just making it clear that it's up to the buyers to be sure it's something they understand and can use.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 00:38:36 »
Nice find!  Only scary thing about that listing is the whole paragraph long 'as-is' disclaimer in the description...

I agree they went a bit overboard with all the text, but it just looks like boilerplate they paste into all their listings. They're a non-profit that recycles stuff to raise money for disadvantaged people, so I don't think they're out to con anyone. If they're volunteers, their technical knowledge may be limited, too. I think they're just making it clear that it's up to the buyers to be sure it's something they understand and can use.
I just saw that super-large disclaimer on other listings as well (including a sweet compuadd keyboard I would LOVE--I loved CompuAdd when they were around.  Their catalogs made coming home from school to check the mail a real joy). 

So this is definitely a great find!  I recently bought a local Unicomp in only fair shape for almost that much--and these are IBM Ms.  I can't believe no one has snagged this up yet.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 00:44:02 »
Maybe the lack of a logo is why they're so cheap?  It's still a steal--logo or no logo.