Author Topic: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK  (Read 221942 times)

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
[GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:01:39 »
Hello GH!

LAST UPDATE HERE: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93614.msg2600750#msg2600750

Here is Vincent from YMDK and today we present you Melody96, a 96-keyboard with many options (Alu-brass-acrylic).
We are finally ready to launch the GB, we decided to use google form because on our site it was too difficult to handle all the options that we are offering in this GB.

>>>ENTER GB via Website<<<

>>>ENTER GB via Google<<<

Big album with all the renders HERE: https://imgur.com/a/SrWkK (thanks /u/jkaos92 !)
Many layouts (ISO/ANSI ofc): http://i.imgur.com/SCzzBf2.png 

BASE KIT 1 - $150:

Anodized aluminium top
Frosted acrylic bottom
Anodized Aluminium plate (with switch top opening holes)
PCB (QMK, different from YMD96, gold pads and higher quality, rgb)
Stabilizers, rubber feets, etc..

BASE KIT 2 - $200:
Anodized aluminium top
Anodized aluminium bottom
Brass Weight (coated with electroplating)
Anodized Aluminium plate (with switch top opening holes)
PCB (QMK, different from YMD96, gold pads and higher quality, rgb)
Stabilizers, rubber feets, etc.
Basically kit 2 is like 1 but with alu bottom (different design as well) and a brass weight, you will not have RGB in this case.

BASE KIT 3 - $260
As above but you also get the acrylic bottom, basically you get both the bottom of the cases, the RGB version and the heavy version.
Other options:

In the form you will see many many many options, Many colors, Many many different switches (cherry, gateron, kailh, outemu..), keycaps, BRASS electroplated plate, other...

We also offer soldering service!

Contact me if you need anything via mail or write a comment in the post.
Please remember we live in a different timezone, so we might end up to answer late (especially right at post time since it is evening/night).

Contacts
Vincent.zhao@ymdkey.com
Vincent.zhao.889@gmail.com
Our site: http://www.ymdkey.com/

Greetings
-Vincent/YMDK
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 April 2018, 05:58:44 by vincent88928 »
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] Melody96 from YMDK, alu/brass/acrylic 96-keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:09:08 »
Group Buy thread approved.  As always, Caveat Emptor!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:14:55 »
Renders look amazing. Just to be sure is the case high profile? As in 2mm of the base of the keycaps are hidden by the keyboard?
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:17:09 by bluesclera »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:24:43 »
Renders look amazing. Just to be sure is the case high profile? As in 2mm of the base of the keycaps are hidden by the keyboard?

The wall is 7mm while the space between the plate and the start of the keycap should be around 6.6mm, so fully covered caps but not covered by 2mm, more like covered by 0.5mm 

You can see here: 
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:30:05 by KaosJ »

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:38:12 »
What are Sip socket (+$5)?

Soldering switches (+$15) = Is this the cost to have the kit pre-assembled?

No Cherry SILENT Black option?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:49:04 »
What are Sip socket (+$5)?

Soldering switches (+$15) = Is this the cost to have the kit pre-assembled?

No Cherry SILENT Black option?

Sip sockets are things to make your leds hotswappable once they are soldered on the board, if non-smd switch they go inside the switch, if smd switch they can go outside the switch.   
Yes 15 bucks is the cost for soldering the kit (just switches) or 20 bucks for soldering switches + leds. 

No silent black so far, except for the big GB we did here on Geekhack, there aren't many silent black around.  There is the silent red tho if you are whiling to replace the spring. 

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:50:08 »
thanks!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:05:25 »
Nice board. Really nice price! Just trying to justify it.

Which usb connection will this have? And do you have expected weights of the two options?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:20:36 »

Which usb connection will this have? And do you have expected weights of the two options?

Can't tell for connection, but Vincent will answer you this, for the weight i did an estimation based on the renders, so i quote myself from reddit:

look i can't tell the real weight but i'm weighting them with my renders expected weight, if it is Alu 6061 without counting any other weight is (not accurate tho):

acrylic: 576g
alu bottom: 1100g
brass weight (to add to alu bottom): 400g-500 , but this can vary depending on how thick will be, might be more.
top alu: 380g
brass plate: 260g
alu plate: 80g
so only case+plate is:

1.1kg for kit1 with standard plate
2kg for kit2, 2.2+kg if kit 2 and brass plate
now to this you have to add switches, pcb, other, my misscalculations, but i think in total it will be:
- 2.6kg+ a full kit2 built with brass plate.
- 1.5kg+ a full kit1 built without brass plate.

I might since it is based on renders, but more or less should be this the final weight.   
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:24:15 by KaosJ »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:26:27 »

Can't tell for connection, but Vincent will answer you this, for the weight i did an estimation based on the renders, so i quote myself from reddit:

look i can't tell the real weight but i'm weighting them with my renders expected weight, if it is Alu 6061 without counting any other weight is (not accurate tho):

acrylic: 576g
alu bottom: 1100g
brass weight (to add to alu bottom): 400g-500 , but this can vary depending on how thick will be, might be more.
top alu: 380g
brass plate: 260g
alu plate: 80g
so only case+plate is:

1.1kg for kit1 with standard plate
2kg for kit2, 2.2+kg if kit 2 and brass plate
now to this you have to add switches, pcb, other, my misscalculations, but i think in total it will be:
- 2.6kg+ a full kit2 built with brass plate.
- 1.5kg+ a full kit1 built without brass plate.

I might since it is based on renders, but more or less should be this the final weight.   

Great, thank you. I think that information will be helpful to some others here.

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 18:28:24 »

The connection is Type C,weight should be around 1.3kg for kit 1,kit 2 should be 1.6-2kg,can't make sure since it has brass weight
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 18:31:59 »

The connection is Type C,weight should be around 1.3kg for kit 1,kit 2 should be 1.6-2kg,can't make sure since it has brass weight

yeah that matches my estimation, 1.6kg kit2 without brass weight, 2kg with brass weight probably, and that's just the case (to add  brass plate +other components)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:02:03 »

Type c is kinda killing this for me. I like to keep everything mini so I can use any of my cables

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:05:38 »

Type c is kinda killing this for me. I like to keep everything mini so I can use any of my cables

Well it's a change in better, there are super tin adapters btw but really if you have Type-C you use it because it is just better than mini or micro (i got your point tho but it's just a cable afterall) 
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:09:34 by KaosJ »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:22:22 »

Well it's a change in better, there are super tin adapters btw but really if you have Type-C you use it because it is just better than mini or micro (i got your point tho but it's just a cable afterall)

That is true. And there are more and more type c boards coming out, so I'll just have to get with it. I'm just stubborn =/

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:33:29 »
That is true. And there are more and more type c boards coming out, so I'll just have to get with it. I'm just stubborn =/

I'm stubborn too but USB-C is slowly becoming the standard (and good thing that it is), the fact it fits either side on is reason enough to mass adopt. Might as well get ahead of the curve and just get a couple custom USB-C cables, doubt we'll be seeing much if any of mini/micro this time next year.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 19:45:26 »

I'm stubborn too but USB-C is slowly becoming the standard (and good thing that it is), the fact it fits either side on is reason enough to mass adopt. Might as well get ahead of the curve and just get a couple custom USB-C cables, doubt we'll be seeing much if any of mini/micro this time next year.

You're right. I'll have to get some mini to c adapters first. And will need to start getting some pro micro's with type c as well.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 20:16:04 »

Afaik there are already custom cables with Type-C in the community.  I have just one Type-C keyboard so far and for now i just used a stock cable since stock type-c cables are much better looking than stock mini-usb (talking about the stock cables that you can find on amazon/aliexpress/etc..) 

Offline eyedrop

Re: [GB] Melody96 from YMDK, alu/brass/acrylic 96-keyboard(Type-C + QMK)
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 20:40:09 »
Vincent, will you have a prototype made before the GB ends?  Renders are nice, but seeing the actual product is always helpful.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 21:33:18 »
You guys expecting me to buy off of some rendered photos? I dont think so.

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 22:57:49 »

Typc C Cable have many options and more beautiful indeed...Now many phone cable is Type C which are beautiful and cheap.Maybe it's time to upgrade ;D
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 23:03:13 »
Vincent, will you have a prototype made before the GB ends?  Renders are nice, but seeing the actual product is always helpful.
Should be.Indeed we have made a sample before IC,however there are many fans want Fjell top and other suggestions,so our sample is just different from what they want finally.The old sample is just not anodized and top is not round,other parts are not changed.You can see the first sample for reference at first.If we make a new sample,we will extend GB days for a week then
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 23:09:53 »
;D
No worries,there is a sample before IC which only changed top design,you can wait for new samples after 5,Feb,we will make the final samples and extend GB days if many people request it
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 04:06:21 »

He did 2 IC's before starting the GB where he showed the sample, it wasn't showed now in GB mainly because it was with another design on the top (final design has something similar to the Fjell but rounded, while the old design was square).  Also the sample made before GB was only the acrylic design, the alu+brass design still has to be made.

Here are the old albums with the sample: 
1: https://imgur.com/a/Xawkd
2: https://imgur.com/a/AsPpP

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 January 2018, 04:08:02 by KaosJ »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:13:39 »

He did 2 IC's before starting the GB where he showed the sample, it wasn't showed now in GB mainly because it was with another design on the top (final design has something similar to the Fjell but rounded, while the old design was square).  Also the sample made before GB was only the acrylic design, the alu+brass design still has to be made.

Show Image

Hmm, I kinda liked the old version better.  Thanks for sharing. 
Dat thumbnail doh...

Maybe he plays classical guitar?  That's what I'm going to imagine.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:37:58 »

Show Image

Hmm, I kinda liked the old version better.  Thanks for sharing. 
Dat thumbnail doh...

(Attachment Link)

Maybe he plays classical guitar?  That's what I'm going to imagine.

lol that's something i saw on many people from China, not sure why.   
For the design it is literally the same except the top edges, to differentiate a bit from the other 96 around (and also was added a compatible alu+brass) 

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 06:08:43 »
Someone asked for sample of the brass, we have a 60% brass sample made 

We also made the GB form on our site (only a form, not a direct pay), on the site is more clear than the google form so you decide which one to enter (google form or site form). 
http://www.ymdkey.com/pd.jsp?id=53#_pp=106_418
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 12:39:04 »
Hi ive sent an email. Wanted to change the switches from my order if possible and if there are rgb leds as well. And if you have any sample pic for the alu buttom just like how you showed the acrylic bottom from previous replies. And (noob question) will normal mx artisans fit kailh box switches. Thanks

Offline jdlee777

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:27:45 »
What size LED for Kailh Box Switches?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:15:15 »
Hi ive sent an email. Wanted to change the switches from my order if possible and if there are rgb leds as well. And if you have any sample pic for the alu buttom just like how you showed the acrylic bottom from previous replies. And (noob question) will normal mx artisans fit kailh box switches. Thanks.

Yes artisans works with Kailh box. 

Afaik he doesn't have the bottom in alu yet, just the renders,  for the bottom he has just the acrylic for now (maybe he will have the sample soon). 
For the order change the best way is Vincent.zhao@ymdkey.com or Vincent.zhao.889@gmail.com (assuming you did already), he is kinda new to GH so he might miss messages here. 

Go for 1.8mm, they go inside the switch without opening the switches (box have a hole on the bottom for smd-compatibility and it is closed on the top) 

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:21:13 by KaosJ »

Offline jdlee777

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:33:22 »
Hi ive sent an email. Wanted to change the switches from my order if possible and if there are rgb leds as well. And if you have any sample pic for the alu buttom just like how you showed the acrylic bottom from previous replies. And (noob question) will normal mx artisans fit kailh box switches. Thanks.

Yes artisans works with Kailh box. 

Afaik he doesn't have the bottom in alu yet, just the renders,  for the bottom he has just the acrylic for now (maybe he will have the sample soon). 
For the order change the best way is Vincent.zhao@ymdkey.com or Vincent.zhao.889@gmail.com (assuming you did already), he is kinda new to GH so he might miss messages here. 

Go for 1.8mm, they go inside the switch without opening the switches (box have a hole on the bottom for smd-compatibility and it is closed on the top)

Thank you.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:43:14 by jdlee777 »

Offline Woovie

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 00:17:09 »
When are invoices due? Just invoiced and curious when I need to pay it by, thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 19:27:11 by Woovie »

Offline jdlee777

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 16:31:40 »
How about the shipping when I order 2 pieces?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:11:28 »

He said he will calculate the shipping and will be less than 27+27, but not much different.  If you want to know exactly how much, send him a mail with what you ordered and where are you from (just to be safe you are not in one of the "remote" countries)

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 20:27:22 »
Hi ive sent an email. Wanted to change the switches from my order if possible and if there are rgb leds as well. And if you have any sample pic for the alu buttom just like how you showed the acrylic bottom from previous replies. And (noob question) will normal mx artisans fit kailh box switches. Thanks
Yes,kailh box uses the same keycap as other switches
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline jdlee777

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:05:21 »

He said he will calculate the shipping and will be less than 27+27, but not much different.  If you want to know exactly how much, send him a mail with what you ordered and where are you from (just to be safe you are not in one of the "remote" countries)

Thank you. I will buy one this time.

Offline 0330ssh

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 00:01:47 »
looks nice, I joined too.

made order with my ID.

thx.

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 02:59:30 »
looks nice, I joined too.

made order with my ID.

thx.
Saw it.Tks for your support
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline azachhh

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:56:02 »
Joined!!!  ;D
Will most likely be submitting another form to get a second one.

Going to build one for my father-in-law!

Offline WHeisenberg

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 16:57:51 »
Sorry if stupid question, but is this top of tray mounted? I really want to try a top mounted keeb.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 17:17:52 »
Sorry if stupid question, but is this top of tray mounted? I really want to try a top mounted keeb.

Top mounted!    You are actually right none of the renders showed that. 

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 17:43:02 by KaosJ »

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 22:28:20 »

Show Image

Show Image

Top mounted? Nice.

Are the inswitch LEDs facing north or south?

Offline WHeisenberg

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 03:59:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks, that's great! Lovely design - well done!!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 07:40:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Top mounted? Nice.

South facing, common one, from what i saw from the prototype

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 00:07:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Top mounted? Nice.

South facing, common one, from what i saw from the prototype

Thank you!

Top mount, South facing LEDs, very fair price. I may have to jump on this!

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 01:02:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Nice! I already joined without knowing but this is like a cherry on top!

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 07:57:38 »
CandyKeys is running this as EU proxy? Found it on their site by chance.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 08:10:45 »
CandyKeys is running this as EU proxy? Found it on their site by chance.

Yeah it was added later, at GB already running.   

Offline Hafizi Hilmi

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 02:04:21 »
Is it possible to just engraved the brass plate with "Melody96" only? Leave out the "By YMDK"

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 07:07:02 »
Is it possible to just engraved the brass plate with "Melody96" only? Leave out the "By YMDK"

You mean Brass weight right? (not brass plate that will not be engraved). 

For the no YMDK thing should be possible as well, lemme ask first.  On the side note it's surely possible have it non-engraved at all (few people asked for it)