Author Topic: [IC] GMK PCB *keyset*  (Read 13406 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
[IC] GMK PCB *keyset*
« on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 09:35:24 »
IC link: https://donutcables.com/gmk-pcb-ic/

Most relevant info is in the IC form, but I'll go ahead and put it here as well:

This is an IC for a set I'm currently calling "GMK PCB". This is a monotone white on green set meant to evoke memories of classic green soldermask and white silkscreen. Due to the nature of monotone sets, compatibility can be excellent without requiring as many keys as "normal" sets. The intention is to have several novelties with component schematics on them such as diodes, normally-open switches, and resistors, as well as some white on orange accent keys in the Spicy kit. Colors will most likely be WS1 on N7 for the base kit, WS1 on V2 for the Spicy kit.

Base Kit

Spicy Kit

Update 1/25/18: updated mockup added
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:52:53 by donutcat »

Offline shadowrealmwarez

Re: [IC] GMK PCB
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 09:38:02 »
Reminds me of SA Nuclear Data, just in GMK. I like it.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:02:34 »
I don't think the way Nuclear Data looked in SA would translate to what this colorway style could look in GMK. I am not concerned about the similarity to ND, just that the colorway itself won't quite translate as well... so I don't think it will look as well.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:08:49 »
No point bull****ting around, it is just Nuclear Data. Why hide it?

Anyway, I have the same concerns as lightning.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:19:05 »
It's not meant to be Nuke Data. While it is essentially the same colorway, the theme of the set is meant to be completely different. The Radioactive kit exists because people thought that pulling some of Nuke Data's aesthetic popularity would help the set. The looks are not meant to be compared to SA they're meant to be a monotone GMK set with a unique theme, and I know from my work on Coniferous that N7 is a wonderful color to work with. Novelty designs are in the works and I should have some samples of them available within the week.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:40:03 by donutcat »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:27:11 »
I've always thought Nuclear Data is a much darker green than a PCB but the radioactive orange kit does make this look like a copy.

Perhaps the orange could be less vivid like older PCBs to better fit the theme?  No idea what colours are available, just thinking out loud.

Pic courtesy of snacksthecat:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 13:07:29 »
Novelties with small black micro-processors would be crucial to this set :) Really good idea.

If you need help, would love to give some graphic suggestions!
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 14:37:10 »
Novelties with small black micro-processors would be crucial to this set :) Really good idea.

If you need help, would love to give some graphic suggestions!

I've got some ideas currently for novelties

Offline Francisco

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:28:55 »
PCB Green keycaps? Green doesn't sell well. What's GMK's MOQ?

Offline gfreeman11898

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:48:41 »
Please use the same green/white as GMK VIM. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 15:49:01 by gfreeman11898 »

Offline garbo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:51:14 »
Ha, sure, nothing to do with nuclear data. You can tell by the totally thematically relevant 'radioactive' kit. Sorry, somehow missed the post where this was covered...

This does seem a bit plain without the retro appeal of a tall spherical profile and glossier finish, but I can admire your dedication to green keysets.

Wonder how it would look if you went all in on the PCB thing and coloured the legends like gold traces. Probably terrible, seeing as they'd lack luster and contrast with the green.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:08:34 by garbo »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:22:25 »
PCB Green keycaps? Green doesn't sell well. What's GMK's MOQ?

GMK Coniferous - 174 base kits
GMK Royal Alpha R2 - 220 base kits
GMK Terminal - no exact numbers, but passed MOQ easily

Green sells well enough to pass MOQ ime. And GMK's MOQ is 150, same as always.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:51:19 »

Updated base kit mockup.

Offline avid

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 14:55:59 »
Why cram super-expensive novelties in the set? I think most people would prefer to lower the cost with $10-20.

So you take same colorway, add the radioactive kit, but no its not GMK nuclear data? Taking a very popular colorway and changing name, it's still nuclear data. The whole dancing around the issue and pretending this is not nuclear data is just embarrassing.

in what I'm calling the "Radioactive Kit"

So you take the same colors, from the same kit, and now you name it? But this has nothing to do with nuclear data right?

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 January 2018, 15:07:32 by avid »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 15:15:37 »
Why cram super-expensive novelties in the set? I think most people would prefer to lower the cost with $10-20.

So you take same colorway, add the radioactive kit, but no its not GMK nuclear data? Taking a very popular colorway and changing name, it's still nuclear data. The whole dancing around the issue and pretending this is not nuclear data is just embarrassing.

in what I'm calling the "Radioactive Kit"

So you take the same colors, from the same kit, and now you name it? But this has nothing to do with nuclear data right?

Show Image

If you look above a wee bit you'll see my explanation on the existence of the Radioactive kit. Additionally, "super expensive" is super relative seeing as they're crucial to the theme of the set, and you apparently don't understand that something like this can exist and have a different theme than Nuke Data. Better go tell every PCB manu that uses green soldermask and white silkscreen that they can't use that colorscheme because nuclear data terminals used it first.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
Re: [IC] GMK PCB *keyset*
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 04:12:32 »
This is oddly appealing. I’d be interested to see some renders, especially on poly or acrylic boards perhaps (the whole radioactive/pcb naturally goes with poly and glowing LED’d boards).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 00:42:07 »
I don't even like green but somehow I get the idea this would look absolutely sick on a red build with the radioactive kit. Colour me interested, I guess.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 13:25:19 »
I like the set, but would personally feel better if it was actually called GMK Nuclear Data, or even an actual GMK version of it. That way the OG SA set lives on through GMK. If anyone complains about stealing color ways tell them to straight fk off

Offline avid

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 14:40:34 »
. If anyone complains about stealing color ways tell them to straight fk off

You seems to miss the point. No one complains about nuclear data GMK. What people complain about is taking SA nuclear data, copy it to GMK, but rename it and claim it as a totally different set.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 14:53:34 »
1 set of GMK Nuclear Data w/ radioactive kit pls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 15:00:23 »
Ah yes, because once 2 colors are paired together, no one can ever use those colors together again, even with a completely separate thematic approach. This is not Nuke Data, this is not tied to Nuke Data, and the existence of the Radioactive kit is due to popular demand for a nice color pairing, and may just get removed if this keeps up. Anyone that continues to say "it's just nuke data" or "call it nuke data" will be ignored from here on out since I've explained the thematic design multiple times now, and you're not contributing to the discussion in a meaningful manner.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:41:16 by donutcat »

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 15:08:02 »
I shall put my singular foot in the door for the orange, no orange, no interest. I don't care too much about novelty theming and would probably like a more basic set or the simplistic circuit novelties a lot better than going the full nuclear mile. Nuclear Data pulls it off because SA is a loud and proud profile with big legends that lends itself well to big and otherwise cheesy themes. To go all nuclear on GMK would look silly with the tame profile look and the much less out there corner legends. The orange is an absolute necessity to make the green work in my mind though. It has to be there to keep it from turning all grassy.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 15:48:21 »
You seems to miss the point. No one complains about nuclear data GMK. What people complain about is taking SA nuclear data, copy it to GMK, but rename it and claim it as a totally different set.
That's what I'm saying! Might as well make it GMK Nuclear Data. That would be better for everyone. I'd love to own a "Nuclear Data" reboot set.

As a side note, you kind of shot yourself in the foot naming the addon "radioactive" and then claiming its not SA ND related. Maybe rename it to Agent Orange or something IDK
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 February 2018, 15:57:05 by Koobaczech »

Offline x86ect

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 18:57:20 »
Perhaps when the PCB related novelties come out, it will emphasize your vision.
Is it possible to add a 1u, R1, backspace (for split backspace)?
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 04:45:26 by x86ect »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] GMK PCB *keyset* - JTK Maybe?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:01:45 »
Any particular thoughts on the possibility of running this through JTK instead? For a pretty simple set their pricing is looking pretty nice, especially with the EURO being quite strong recently.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:48:56 »
Any particular thoughts on the possibility of running this through JTK instead? For a pretty simple set their pricing is looking pretty nice, especially with the EURO being quite strong recently.

I would not be adverse to JTK in any way. I got their latest set Toxic & just about everything is spot on about it. The legends are clean, crisp, & consistent, very small sprue marks, all in all I was very happy with it even compared to my GMK set. The only issue I had with my Toxic set is the Enter key has a dark line on the front of it, probably from the mould not being hot enough when the key was cast. I've contacted Oco. about it & they are seeing if they can get me a replacement. Other than that the set was pretty impeccable IMO.

My only concern about going JTK is what the novelty availability will be with them. I feel like a novelty set with schematic markings, electrical components, etc. is crucial to this set. The other suggestion I will add is for an alt color the yellowish/orangish old school PCB color like suicidal_orange suggested would be awesome if possible. I really like the ideal & look of this set so consider me interested either way, JTK or GMK.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:51:18 by Rob27shred »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:55:14 »
GMK is the only way you can follow up the previous SA set, not worth doing anything else.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:07:24 »
GMK is the only way you can follow up the previous SA set, not worth doing anything else.

agree with xondat
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:08:20 »

I respect your opinion, although I have to ask why will only GMK do in your opinion? I know JTK has had issues in the past but the Toxic set honestly came out very good. I know GMK is higher quality but JTK is not too far off as long they keep the level of quality where it's at on future runs. Which I can't see any reason they would not. I think if we can get decent novelties for this with JTK the cost savings for donutcat & whoever buys a set is worth the small hit in quality vs GMK.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:09:23 »

I respect your opinion, although I have to ask why will only GMK do in your opinion? I know JTK has had issues in the past but the Toxic set honestly came out very good. I know GMK is higher quality but JTK is not too far off as long they keep the level of quality where it's at on future runs. Which I can't see any reason they would not. I think if we can get decent novelties for this with JTK the cost savings for donutcat & whoever buys a set is worth the small hit in quality vs GMK.

GMK is a lot better to work with as a manufacturer.

JTK doesn't have an English contact and is prone to delays.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:15:39 »

GMK is a lot better to work with as a manufacturer.

JTK doesn't have an English contact and is prone to delays.

Sounds reasons. The Toxic GB was a mess from what I read. I got in on it from Oco. in the last few weeks before it finally got delivered, so I haven't truly experienced a JTK GB TBH. Whereas I have noticed GMK GBs are like clockwork & very rarely run into issues.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:12:41 »
Little something for anyone still paying attention

Novelty designs are in progress, we're just working on tidying them up for caps.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:17:12 »
I wish there would be a vendor pushing purple as much as you push the damn green. 

Offline avid

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:20:42 »
The colorway is great. Please stick with GMK.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:24:30 »
I wish there would be a vendor pushing purple as much as you push the damn green.

I'm pushing purple with NGE, Taro happened recently, I'm proxying Phantom, and Violet Tendencies is happening sometime soonish. I'd say we're covered for purple GMK and need more green to balance it out :P

Offline helix999

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:47:54 »
Little something for anyone still paying attention
Show Image

Novelty designs are in progress, we're just working on tidying them up for caps.

Love this set. While the color way is great (more green please!) what I really like is the the idea of using circuit schematics for novelties - infact 'gmk circuit' would be a great name. Looking forward to seeing the novelties.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 14:02:36 »

Love this set. While the color way is great (more green please!) what I really like is the the idea of using circuit schematics for novelties - infact 'gmk circuit' would be a great name. Looking forward to seeing the novelties.

Hmm, GMK Circuit could work.

Another render just cause

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:57:26 »
Little something done up in some spare time

Updated mockup with now text-only mods, updated numpad mods, and slightly adjusted compatibility.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 18:09:04 »
Little something done up in some spare time
Show Image

Updated mockup with now text-only mods, updated numpad mods, and slightly adjusted compatibility.

I really like the idea of this. What do you think of electric component symbol mods. It could have the aesthetic of icon mods with really cool looking symbols and could make the set stand out. Also a split-spacebar pack/40's kit would be awesome!

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 02:56:10 »
Isn’t this GMK Nuclear Data?!?!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 05:06:30 »
guessing this is dead?

edit: didn't see timestamp of your latest post, yey

I really like the idea of this. What do you think of electric component symbol mods. It could have the aesthetic of icon mods with really cool looking symbols and could make the set stand out. Also a split-spacebar pack/40's kit would be awesome!
agreed! text-only mods are very boring..
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 05:39:24 by whentheclouds »

Offline avid

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 05:28:09 »
love this keyset. love NGE. Nice job donut.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 10:21:14 »
I'd prefer "Control" spelled out on 1.25/1.5u mods

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 10:50:33 »
That's a good point, that's how it should be and I missed it.

Offline ZROGST

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 17:22:42 »
After some internal debate and sanding and dying the top/bottom plate for a gherkin kit I'm sort of inclined to leave the PCB as is and use a keyset like this with it (and green LEDs); Great set idea Donut.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 10:16:23 »
Petition to change the keyset name to GMK Circuit Board

Offline ZROGST

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 18:00:16 »
Any update on this keyset Donut? What do we need to make it happen - just more interest?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 20:05:42 »
Any update on this keyset Donut? What do we need to make it happen - just more interest?

I'm leaving it on hold currently to focus on some of my other keysets that I'm working on/associated with.