Author Topic: Have you ever gone too far  (Read 3621 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Have you ever gone too far
« on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:12:10 »
And Spent 20 minutes researching , The Best Potato Masher , ??

Going to buy the $2 one....  .. $10 one is cray cray

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Have you ever gone too far
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:16:58 »
I always go too far :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:27:04 »

Based on my research, the Wire type, is probably better for the Initial mash, because a whole potato would provide high resistance.

The Flat head through hole masher type would be better for the finishing-mash, because the holes would produce finer mash results quicker, once the wire-type mash reduced it to a more managable size.

The horizontal handle type would be good if you can get your bowl on a low enough surface to use your body weight..

Whereas if you have a high counter-top,  it's probably better to use the Vertical handle type, because that is more ergonomic..

The Moral, of the story is,  Don't be like Tp4..  Tp4 = sick

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 03:56:56 »
Shocked you just don't buy the powder.

And if you go too far, why did you not buy the wire one for initial cut and the "flat head" for further mashing?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:54:59 »
Shocked you just don't buy the powder.

And if you go too far, why did you not buy the wire one for initial cut and the "flat head" for further mashing?

Tp4 haz $2

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:27:47 »
no potato ricer?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:57:31 »
no potato ricer?

Yea, it looked cool, but I thought it'd be harder to clean, so I went in the other directions.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:30:41 »
A passe-vite is a must tp.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:38:04 »
A passe-vite is a must tp.

Hrrrmm.. I think that'd be good if I were making Loadz of mash potato..

But If I'm only going to mash 2 potatoes at a time..  the cleaning time may not even out relative to the time-saved by more rapid mashing..

Because the cleaning time for complex devices are longer

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 19:22:56 »
same as keyboards, right?  I mean, we should all probably just buy the $10 one.  But the fun in is the hunt.  I hope you find your endgame potato masher after a long and bountiful tour of culinary smashing products.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 19:25:08 »
I use the wire one because I like lumps.

But we also have a ricer for the times when someone wants a luscious creamy consistency.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 19:35:29 »
I use the wire one because I like lumps.

But we also have a ricer for the times when someone wants a luscious creamy consistency.

I tried it in the vitamix.. It gets creamy, almost sticky/gooey like, because the starch is being gelatinized

Buhhhhh... This will overcurrent/overtemp the vitamix after 2 minutes, apparently mashpotato becomes non-newtonian rather quickly..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:11:17 »
I've spent entire evenings getting lost in product research and comparisons for like a $5 product... multiple times.

Sometimes even days of comparing best prices and features of a product, it's almost like a hobby doing product research for me now  :confused:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:17:51 »
I've spent entire evenings getting lost in product research and comparisons for like a $5 product... multiple times.

Sometimes even days of comparing best prices and features of a product, it's almost like a hobby doing product research for me now  :confused:

It's a sickness nt..

we are sick..

The only way to salvation, is if we admit our plight..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:25:36 »
Honestly I think careful data collection and research of a potential purchase is a healthy habit. Sure sometimes you might lose an evening without realizing how deep you're going, but I am very rarely disappointed in my final purchases. Plus it's a good distraction to get lost researching something dumb like what's the best electric toothbrush or silicon spatula.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 05:15:15 »
I am afraid that I sometimes go too far trying to find the perfect ware to buy.
I have been trying out 20+ jackets this winter but still not settled for one. Not the right look, not the right fabric or not the right features... I should maybe just settle for one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 11:21:55 »
I am afraid that I sometimes go too far trying to find the perfect ware to buy.
I have been trying out 20+ jackets this winter but still not settled for one. Not the right look, not the right fabric or not the right features... I should maybe just settle for one.

They do this on purpose..

All good priced clothes/ budget clothes are intentionally made LESS aesthetically appealing than expensive cloths..

And when you go to the expensive cloths store,  Nothing fits ya, because they're all designed for Fit-Attractive people who are not Phat.. !!!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 02:22:47 »
So, is this topic potato-masher-specific or not? I'm getting mixed vibes here.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 03:02:20 »
It's a tp4 thread in OT - pretty sure anything remotely relevant goes :))

I also spend way too long comparing stuff but for cheap things I shop local and get my hands on them - in this case the thickness and feel of a masher's handle is more important than it's efficiency.  Weight would also be a factor though, needs to feel solid.

I did waste probably 24 hours looking at steel toe cap boots online recently, again this should be a hands (feet?) on purchase as comfort is key but everywhere sells the same 6 pairs and they aren't wide enough (ask my toe that ironically looks like I dropped something on it due to wearing 'protective' boots!)  Ended up with a pair amazon accidentally marked down 80% (all other sizes cost way more) and they are more comfortable and seem nice, only downside is they squeak...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:19:39 »

Same.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:43:05 »

only downside is they squeak...

Squeaky shoes can often be fixed rubbing hand lotion around on the inside (use a thick greasy kind).
Wear white cotton socks for a couple of days to mop up the excess and you will probably be good.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:47:12 »
I don't really buy anything without researching the quality of the brand and product. I don't really see it as going too far for the most part--rather, I'm trying my hardest to get the best bang for my buck.

I'll also spend months researching the best computer parts to buy. It helps that it's typically a once-a-year thing that leaves me with a 330 or so dollar budget.

It does occasionally go too far though, like the time I was up all night researching what paper I should buy for drawing.  :eek:
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 20:48:36 »
I don't really buy anything without researching the quality of the brand and product. I don't really see it as going too far for the most part--rather, I'm trying my hardest to get the best bang for my buck.

I'll also spend months researching the best computer parts to buy. It helps that it's typically a once-a-year thing that leaves me with a 330 or so dollar budget.

It does occasionally go too far though, like the time I was up all night researching what paper I should buy for drawing.  :eek:

$330 pc ?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 22:12:25 »
When I was in the material selection phase of my current trebuchet build I spent about a couple weeks straight researching different suppliers, buildups, strengths, prices, etc for premade carbon fiber tubing for the throwing arm.  I ended up settling on buying from dragonplate[dot]com simply because they also sell connectors that just glue into the ends of the tubing with only a light scuffing for glue preparation needed.  This was months ago and I have yet to buy the tubing.  This is mostly a combination of not having the disposable income and time to happen together.  In the mean time I have gotten a lot better with SolidWorks and have the main running gear designed.  Just need to buy some bearings and axle shafting.  I am hoping to get a golf ball out to 1000' with only 30 pounds of counterweight. Attached pictures are renderings direct from SolidWorks.  The cutouts on the sides of the plates cut the weight of each by about half.

189148-0
189150-1

It's a tp4 thread in OT - pretty sure anything remotely relevant goes :))

I also spend way too long comparing stuff but for cheap things I shop local and get my hands on them - in this case the thickness and feel of a masher's handle is more important than it's efficiency.  Weight would also be a factor though, needs to feel solid.

I did waste probably 24 hours looking at steel toe cap boots online recently, again this should be a hands (feet?) on purchase as comfort is key but everywhere sells the same 6 pairs and they aren't wide enough (ask my toe that ironically looks like I dropped something on it due to wearing 'protective' boots!)  Ended up with a pair amazon accidentally marked down 80% (all other sizes cost way more) and they are more comfortable and seem nice, only downside is they squeak...

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of boots did you get?  I have to wear steel toe with metatarsals.  I buy Carolinas 8" boots.  They are union made and 100% USA sourced.  They are the most comftorable boods I have ever worn.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 23:12:34 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 23:04:15 »
Quote from: tp4tissue
$330 pc ?

More like a graphics card or something. Which is pretty much impossible right now, due to memory prices.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 00:07:49 »
Squeaky shoes can often be fixed rubbing hand lotion around on the inside (use a thick greasy kind).
Wear white cotton socks for a couple of days to mop up the excess and you will probably be good.
Not sure what the waterproof membrane would make of this but thanks for the tip.  I think the squeak comes from where the tongue bellows are folded but can't be sure as I can't walk with my head on my foot... For now it's not a bad thing as people can hear me coming, not as fun as unintentionally 'sneaking up' and scaring them though.

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of boots did you get?  I have to wear steel toe with metatarsals.  I buy Carolinas 8" boots.  They are union made and 100% USA sourced.  They are the most comftorable boods I have ever worn.
I landed up with a pair of these Ejendals, a brand I know nothing about as everything is in a variety of Scandinavian languages - they looked wide so worth a try with free returns.  In hand I'm really impressed with the lace loops which are cutaway so the lace only touches a ball bearing on the edge it would rub through.  They are probably a size too big so don't look great (so lose they have random bulges) but if they don't rub or squeeze I'm not going to complain.

Never came across Carolinas, doesn't look like they export much (and why would they with a local market as big as the US!)  Glad you found some boots you're happy with anyway, there are few things worse than sore feet :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 01:28:28 »
I usually research something a lot and then end up getting two or three different kinds to try. For example, a couple times now, I've gone looking for a new computer mouse and ended up buying two because I figured I'd hate one and like the other but I wouldn't know until I tried both. I don't have a first mechanical keyboard because I bought two when I first started out because I wanted to try both of them. On the other hand, if something is recommended to me, I'll just buy it with little research because I've already decided it must be the best. Or if something has a million 5 star reviews, I assume it's the best.

For kitchen stuff, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 01:50:00 »
Not sure what the waterproof membrane would make of this but thanks for the tip.  I think the squeak comes from where the tongue bellows are folded but can't be sure as I can't walk with my head on my foot... For now it's not a bad thing as people can hear me coming, not as fun as unintentionally 'sneaking up' and scaring them though.

I landed up with a pair of these Ejendals, a brand I know nothing about as everything is in a variety of Scandinavian languages - they looked wide so worth a try with free returns.  In hand I'm really impressed with the lace loops which are cutaway so the lace only touches a ball bearing on the edge it would rub through.  They are probably a size too big so don't look great (so lose they have random bulges) but if they don't rub or squeeze I'm not going to complain.

Never came across Carolinas, doesn't look like they export much (and why would they with a local market as big as the US!)  Glad you found some boots you're happy with anyway, there are few things worse than sore feet :thumb:

And if you have a job where you are on your feet all day, nothing better than finding great boots for a good price. I just can't stand wearing a 6" or shorter boot.  For me there isn't enough material above the ankle to allow any flex.  I work in the construction trades so I am constantly climbing, crouching, working on my knees, of angle footings, etc, so I need the flex.  I work for many different contractors through my union hall at many different manufacturing facilities.  One of them is the John Deere Foundry near my home.  They require external metatarsal protection as well as safety toes. These are the boots that I wear.  One of the local boot stores has a 10% union discount so I buy there. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 03:05:08 »
I just can't stand wearing a 6" or shorter boot.  For me there isn't enough material above the ankle to allow any flex.
That's something I never researched, assumed more boot would mean less flex and more creases around the leg to rub so went short.  If you hadn't guessed I'm new to boots, first pair were the only ones that weren't uncomfortable within a minute in a shop and these are my second, weeks later.  I'll remember this and be sure to try taller next time...

I think boots fit this topic well - there's a surprising variety once you get down the rabbit hole, I'm thankful to have escaped for now.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 12:54:00 »
I spend ages researching most purchases and agonising over details, then looking for the best deal. If I think about how much my time is worth (I'm freelance so I have that mindset) it seems completely crazy to spend two evenings looking at toasters or whatever. But, I can't not do it.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 12:57:42 »
Can't remember the last time I spent more than 10 minutes researching something that isn't hotels... And even that takes 30 minutes max. :confused: