Author Topic: PBT keycaps sticky after 9 months  (Read 8311 times)

Offline Slusho64

PBT keycaps sticky after 9 months
« on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 11:16:54 »
My Ducky doubleshot PBT keycaps are sticky and a little shiny after normal use for 9 months. I bought a second set so I've replaced them and I have the old ones in a baggie. I asked some people on Discord and they said to use a denture cleaning tablet in water for an hour. I tried that on three of the keycaps and it made no difference. Is this permanent or is there some way of making them not sticky again?

Offline Justintoxicated

Re: PBT keycaps sticky after 9 months
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:07:59 »
what do you mean by sticky?

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:10:55 »
what do you mean by sticky?

They don't feel dry. They feel sticky. Like the spacebar feels like that more where I usually hit it with my finger. I know ABS gets shiny and somewhat sticky after a few months but I've always heard PBT does not so I thought I'd be able to fix it by cleaning.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:34:01 »
You know how if you go down a slide wearing shorts, sometimes your skin will stick to it? It can happen when you go down a waterslide on your back too..

I think a similar phenomena can be experienced with shined caps. Does that sound like what you experience in terms of stickiness?

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 15:01:57 »
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Sticky keycaps is common for ABS. I'll describe it more, though. If I rub my finger over a new keycap, it's pretty smooth (low friction). If I rub it over the older ones, the friction is higher. It's kind of gooey feeling. Like hard plastic vs soft touch/rubberized (not that much obviously).

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 15:42:13 »
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Sticky keycaps is common for ABS. I'll describe it more, though. If I rub my finger over a new keycap, it's pretty smooth (low friction). If I rub it over the older ones, the friction is higher. It's kind of gooey feeling. Like hard plastic vs soft touch/rubberized (not that much obviously).

I think this is due to the loss of texture (shine). More surface contact area means larger total adhesion force.

You could try sandblasting them to create some texture where its been lost

https://imgur.com/a/3xreN

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 17:03:15 »
stickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickys tickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickyst ickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickysti ckystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystic kystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystick ystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickysticky stickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickys tickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickystickysticky

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 17:40:27 »
lol I thought he may have meant that the key was sticking (not returning).

Sounds like the key caps are not PNB to me.

have pictures?

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 18:45:59 »
It really doesn't show up well in pictures and it's only really the spacebar that you can kind of see a difference. Ducky is well known for making doubleshot PBT so idk how it could be that they're not PBT.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:02:58 »
Where's Noisyturtle,  I bet' he'd have a witty comment about this..

Offline Ptolemy

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 18:25:13 »
Stick as in the keycaps have a sticky texture or do they physically stick to the board and switch? For the sticky texture you could sandblast them but if they are physically sticking than I would get a new set or it may be a problem with the switches themselves.
HHKB Pro 2
IBM Model M

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:27:45 »
To reiterate, it's the surface of the keycaps, not the switches sticking. I'm going to try sandblasting because apparently we own a sandblaster.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 00:39:03 »
WTF, the point of using PBT is to avoid this. Ducky caps look shady anyway. There's no telling what they're really made of. Fentanyl anyone?
/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 13:11:06 »
WTF, the point of using PBT is to avoid this. Ducky caps look shady anyway. There's no telling what they're really made of. Fentanyl anyone?
/

what? hahahahahhahaha... If it was Fentanyl, we'd order 100000x and make bank..  breaking bad yo.. bit(h!!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 02:47:16 »
Have you considered giving up the deep-fried Snickers bars?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 18:30:13 »

I am a clean freak :(

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 05:32:16 »
PBT is pretty resistant to most solvents of plastic.  Ducky does in fact make some boards with ABS keycaps.  Sounds like this is what you have.  I don't think sandblasting is worth your time and I don't know how happy you will be with the end product anyway.  PBT keycap sets can be had for starting around $24.99.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 15:02:20 »
They sell them as doubleshot PBT.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 16:14:51 »
Could it be some sort of anti-bacterial coating wearing out and going bad?  I remember reading about Tai Hao PBT caps coming with a coating that affected keycap feel.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2018, 16:17:04 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 20:50:42 »

I am a clean freak :(

That's good to hear. Many people sit down to type without even thinking about washing their hands—then they're surprised when their keebs end up looking like Marine snipers. (I thought that was a particularly colorful metaphor.)

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 21:07:03 »
Could it be some sort of anti-bacterial coating wearing out and going bad?  I remember reading about Tai Hao PBT caps coming with a coating that affected keycap feel.

this is also what i was thinking, especially since it's ducky pbt caps
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 19:57:50 »

this is also what i was thinking, especially since it's ducky pbt caps

I didn't know Ducky put a coating on their keycaps too.

Tai Hao do, or did, perhaps they still do unless you run a GB and explicitly request them not to include the coating.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 20:31:34 »
Ducky makes no mention of a coating. And I'm not sure how that would work. The coating rubs off, leaving the plastic, which for some reason is shiny/sticky without the coating? Why would PBT feel that way without a coating?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 00:52:02 »
Could be that the coating doesn’t simply rub off but interacts with finger oil and whatever cleaning chemicals you use, resulting in the sticky feeling.  Do you or anyone else vape near your keyboard?  Do you apply any kind of cream or antibacterial solution  to your hands?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Slusho64

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 19:03:17 »
Do you or anyone else vape near your keyboard?  Do you apply any kind of cream or antibacterial solution  to your hands?
Nope

Offline jamster

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 23:11:00 »
My daily driver board for the past 3 years has been using Tai Hao caps. The spacebar has a shiny patch where I hit it, but nowhere on the board would I describe as feeling 'sticky.' It's higher friction on the smooth part if I run my finger across it, but that's to be expected, and it does not match the "soft touch/rubberized" description. Same with all of my keyboards, some of which are decades old.

So far it's unclear whether the OP is describing an artifact of a purely mechanical nature (smooth vs textured plastic) or some chemical change.