Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 383389 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #2400 on: Sun, 31 March 2024, 23:37:41 »
Currently watching X men 97 and I enjoyed it

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #2402 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 13:44:35 »
Man oh man, the 3 Body Problem started out interesting but has taken a complete dive. Every episode I have to stretch my boundaries of "what is believable" and lately I've given up trying to rationalize some of the "science"
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2403 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 14:04:59 »
Man oh man, the 3 Body Problem started out interesting but has taken a complete dive. Every episode I have to stretch my boundaries of "what is believable" and lately I've given up trying to rationalize some of the "science"

Don't overthink the science fiction. It's a clean enough plot that's geeky enough to be interesting.

Overthink would be, well they can figure out how to hit a mosquito on pluto, with a "Sophon", but they don't have the capacity to terraform somewhere else?

Life is just an energy conversion system, if they can convert that much power, they can "do what they do" anywhere.

First book is easier to read than the second. The second one is more sloppily written. The chinese show has alot more details and follows the book precisely, but it has alot of boring scenes because of it. The Netflix show condenses everything for the zero-patience generation. It's got mostly everything right.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #2404 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 14:08:19 »
First book is easier to read than the second. The second one is more sloppily written.[/size][/color]

Would you recommend the first book in isolation? I've only watched the series (or a good part of it, anyway). If the book is better than the series, I'd certainly consider it
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2405 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 14:10:43 »
Would you recommend the first book in isolation? I've only watched the series (or a good part of it, anyway). If the book is better than the series, I'd certainly consider it

Well, you already know what's happening. The show goes into the 1/3 point of the second book.

I'd just wait, if they don't do season 2,  start reading the books.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2406 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 15:41:48 »
Balls of Fury (2007)

One of the greatest ping pong movies ever made, yea it's a short list, but none have been more successful in making ping pong palatable on screen.

307173-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2407 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 19:06:52 »
Fear the Night (2023)

Well the movie is just criminally boring, even by B-standards.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2408 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 23:15:58 »
Balls of Fury (2007)

One of the greatest ping pong movies ever made, yea it's a short list, but none have been more successful in making ping pong palatable on screen.

(Attachment Link)

you'll appreciate this edit:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2409 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 09:58:43 »
Is it just TP4, or is Anime, more often than not "bass shy".  Pretty much all of the music mixes lack deep bump.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #2410 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 10:11:30 »
Ping Pong Playa is also great. But my theory on the lack of bass is companies realizing 99% of listeners do not have the equipment to replicate the low end, so they chop it up to save bandwidth.

Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2411 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 20:20:36 »
You know, this here sand worm, it would seem like if it ate stuff, the food to sand ratio would be really poor.

How can it process so much sand, and how could the calories from that little food be worth it given its enormous mass and the supposed scarcity of food and water in the deserts of Arrakis.

307213-0
307215-1
307217-2

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2412 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 20:48:42 »
You know, this here sand worm, it would seem like if it ate stuff, the food to sand ratio would be really poor.

How can it process so much sand, and how could the calories from that little food be worth it given its enormous mass and the supposed scarcity of food and water in the deserts of Arrakis.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

they eat 'sand plankton' and smaller sand worms, mostly

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2413 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 22:10:15 »

It seems highly inefficient, just implausible.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2414 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 22:11:43 »

It seems highly inefficient, just implausible.

I'd argue a blue whale is implausible, but there the **** it is!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2415 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 22:16:46 »
I'd argue a blue whale is implausible, but there the **** it is!

Water as a medium is much easier to move than sand.

The reason whales work, is because the net caloric density of the ocean is enormous. This would not be the case in Arakis deserts.

The ocean is also not an accident, it is indicative of the NET life-force of the planet actively maintaining that large mass of working fluid. Such force is not present on Dune.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2416 on: Sat, 06 April 2024, 14:01:14 »
Climate the Movie (2023).  High production climate change denial fauxmentary.

Sigh. If someone is a borderline illiterate, which actually represents a sizable population of americans 30-50%, and they watch a movie like this, one could see that it'd be incredibly convincing.

The movie has got charts, dinosaur clips, a nobel laureate autist in a completely non climate research field, paid fossil fuel deniers/scientists/podcasters, all championing the notion that climate change is BIG BUSINESS and has no basis in reality. Oh and notice the earth Used to be warmer and had more carbon, yea, they don't say everything also died when that happened.

And unfortunately for people who can only sorta read, well, a movie like this is case shut for them, because they are incapable of digging deeper, reading is such a high barrier of intent for them that it's too costly for them to find the truth. They also simply would not recognize it over cartoon dinosaurs. 

307248-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2417 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 20:08:57 »

Climate the Movie (2023)

The movie has got charts, dinosaur clips, a nobel laureate autist

championing the notion that climate change is BIG BUSINESS and has no basis in reality

I just watched this. What a very strange mash-up of concepts and pictures. The majority of film clips were from the 1940s-50s-60s .... Presumably to say that consumerism began to reach fever pitch after WW2?

Sure, the Earth was 10-15 degrees warmer during the dinosaur ages, and the millions-year trend is downward. The movie-makers seem to be saying that environmentalists are motivated by their hatred of (?) industry (?) consumers (?) fossil fuels (?) and that governments world-wide are working with environmentalists rather than against them. And they ignore the more potent greenhouse gases like methane altogether.

Personally, I watch the glaciers melting, corals bleaching, sea level rise, pollution of all kinds, ocean and atmospheric currents changing, every part of the planet impregnated with micro-plastics, etc, etc, and then these people sound like the guy from the 1980s movie proclaiming "Greed is Good"
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2418 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 21:16:29 »
Command and Control (2016).   

HIGHLY recommended documentary on the stupidity of the military industrial complex.

Great detail on what happened at the Damascus Nv(lear Silo disaster which almost destroyed Arkansas.

To quote Robert Peur1foy (Director of nu(lear weapon development/Vice president of Sandia Labs):

Of the 25,000 weapons that we had in stockpile, I could not in good conscience swear that they were adequately safe.

Offline MisterMayhem

« Reply #2419 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 08:57:40 »
Watching The Gentlemen and so far so good.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2420 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 09:38:53 »
They got these oddball iterations out called 4K HDR AI upscaled.

They take an SD source, use AI, converts to 4KHDR.   Looks pretty decent, over-darken dark scenes, bright scenes look pretty good though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2421 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 15:51:19 »
Madu (2024).

It's the documentary on the african child who went viral on youtube doing ballet in the dirt.

Now, They probably intended for the film to be, Heart Warming,  but Tp4 watched it, and thought, this is clearly Hunger Games, and Madu is tribute.

Y'all seen this?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2422 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 23:09:38 »
A Place at the Table (2012).

Documentary on Hunger in America.

So, the first thing that's unexpected is, we have a different definition for Hunger here. You think Africa, and the children are hungry, small, thin, dying.  Hunger as applied to America, means children who may have to skip meals a few days here/there, but may otherwise be obese or at least quite rotund, almost none of which are dying / starving.

It's a very odd situation to talk about, because hunger here means disadvantaged rather than what someone might traditionally think of hunger.

For example, A state with the most use of the food stamps program, also has the highest rates of childhood obesity.  That's confusing, but ok, let's work with this Alternative Hunger definition.

So, what they mean by hunger in this case is a Resource Mismanagement/ Misappropriation/ Mis-use situation.

This is the net product of problemed capitalism, corruption, inappropriate federal subsidies which foster the creation of Food-Deserts where communities ONLY have access to cheap junk food, but not fresh fruits / vegetables.

Then when introduced to Fruits/ Vegetables, those cheap junk food taste better in general and offer more calories per dollar, such that the people who got used to junk food, wouldn't eat healthy food in enough proportion to offset their developing health problems.  This falls under an Education issue/ equal opportunity lag.

Anyway, yea, very odd semantics.  But, yup, capitalism at it again. Good documentary.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #2423 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 07:55:44 »
The Florida Project

im not from Florida, but i know a lot of kids who grew up like this and it was pretty close to a lot of what i saw my friends go through. one of the only movies in a while to make my eyes wet. child actors were excellent and they acted like real kids, not dramatic/baby-ish like most other movies with child characters
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2427 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 17:06:21 »
Such a weird contrast. Hellsing ultimate was made across 6 years.

The difference in technology between the early and later episodes really pops out. The old episodes are probably 720p or less even, then upscaled using some shader.

307320-0
307322-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2428 on: Thu, 11 April 2024, 20:20:28 »
Fallout, here we go..... !!!!

The 62.58gb is the way to go unless you get the 63.8gb/68.12gb DV, now, in all cases however, they used a super heavy grain filter, and the streaming algo's eating it. Lots of artifacts and frozen squiggles throughout the series. Avoid the 47.9gb one, the grain got chewed up. Make sure to set your decoding to random dithering. Adding noise seems to be beneficial in maintaining the consistency of textures.

The SDR one should be fine, but Tp4 hasn't seen it.

307330-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2429 on: Thu, 11 April 2024, 22:48:22 »
Who else is hyped for Smiling Friends season 2!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2430 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 00:48:59 »
Just got dun' dat Fallout.

Humor was on point. Plot leaks if you poke it, but it's good enough that there's more to gain as a willing rider.

It's more fantastic / less plausible than Silo, but the charm gets you through.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2431 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 01:35:11 »

That first episode was so good, really looking forward to season 2. Liked that alan was featured a lot more, he's great.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2432 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 01:41:59 »

That first episode was so good, really looking forward to season 2. Liked that alan was featured a lot more, he's great.

Voiced by Adam Paloian, known for pickpocketing his coworkers!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2433 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 05:53:24 »
Just got dun' dat Fallout.
Humor was on point. Plot leaks if you poke it, but it's good enough that there's more to gain as a willing rider.
It's more fantastic / less plausible than Silo, but the charm gets you through.

Looking forward to Season 2.
I'm only up to Ep 2 so far but absolutely loving this show, the writers didn't just take notes, they know the game which probably makes their job easy since the game is rich with storytelling but we've see so many game to movie adaptations flop it's nice to see one really go all in on the lore and end up with something really, really good. The props, sets and costumes are fantastic, they didn't appear cut any corners money-wise.

My only complaints is that like GOT, it's at times a little too dark to read/see some things on the screen, I also thought Ep 1 should have been a bit longer to elaborate on a few things more, I know there was a lot to go over but the pace felt a little too fast at times trying to cut down on run time. Overall though, fantastic show.

BTW, regarding Silo, Fallout is a mockery, it's not supposed to be taken seriously.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2434 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 07:33:28 »
I'm only up to Ep 2 so far but absolutely loving this show, the writers didn't just take notes, they know the game which probably makes their job easy since the game is rich with storytelling but we've see so many game to movie adaptations flop it's nice to see one really go all in on the lore and end up with something really, really good. The props, sets and costumes are fantastic, they didn't appear cut any corners money-wise.

My only complaints is that like GOT, it's at times a little too dark to read/see some things on the screen, I also thought Ep 1 should have been a bit longer to elaborate on a few things more, I know there was a lot to go over but the pace felt a little too fast at times trying to cut down on run time. Overall though, fantastic show.

BTW, regarding Silo, Fallout is a mockery, it's not supposed to be taken seriously.

Tp4 basically feels like he lives in a fallout bunker already. The TV show very successfully transports you there.

The show may have been color graded on a professional-LCD instead of pro-OLED. This leads to the colorists pushing shadow detail as low as it will go because LCDs have over-brightened black region due to backlight bloom.

So, what happens is when you take this image and send it to OLED or some other consumer panel, it'll look like black-crush, Unless, you also use an LCD with similar black handling as their mastering monitor, which most people probably do not. This has nothing to do with quality of consumer hardware, it's just that they are typically not tuned the way pro monitors are.

Tp4 has to use black lvl +8 to get the hair / shadow detail to come out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2435 on: Sat, 13 April 2024, 07:17:52 »
Star Trek Discovery, just, can't get into it, it's so forced. IDK, could be that as a long time Trek fan, we expect resolution, and we get this dragged out thing that seems so trivial to solve given the technology.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2436 on: Sat, 13 April 2024, 15:21:40 »

just, can't get into it

It has always seemed pretty incoherent to me.

Conceptually, the Spore Drive is one of the most exciting things that has been introduced into the Star Trek universe, in my opinion, but it is impossibly incompatible with the general canon - especially since it supposedly appeared even before TOS.

The characters are mostly weak and the plots stale, in my opinion. Except for the fascinating Spore Drive, I don't even know why the show exists.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2437 on: Sat, 13 April 2024, 15:45:46 »
Internet says it's because of sunk costs, as they already built really expensive sets.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2438 on: Sat, 13 April 2024, 17:53:18 »

already built really expensive sets

Should have spent the money on writers. Spock has an adopted younger sister that nobody ever even mentioned before? GTFOOH

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2439 on: Sat, 13 April 2024, 21:59:47 »
Finished Fallout

Sooo good!!!
My comment about being too dark seems the screen I was using is dying. Watched on another screen and it was fine.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2440 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 00:08:02 »
Finished Fallout

Sooo good!!!
My comment about being too dark seems the screen I was using is dying. Watched on another screen and it was fine.

Buy dat colorimeter.  Screens last forever.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2441 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 14:51:38 »
Finished Fallout

Sooo good!!!
Buy dat colorimeter.  Screens last forever.
Nah, I use that screen at night anyhow while falling asleep, I like it dim, just didn't know it was THAT dim.

Not really happy with some of the new screens, frankly, they're too bright for indoor use. I don't care to stare into the sun.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2442 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 16:52:09 »
Finished Fallout
Sooo good!!!

Would this show work for a person who never games?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2444 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:25:06 »
Finished Fallout
Sooo good!!!

Would this show work for a person who never games?
Yeah, while it very much follows Fallout lore, it doesn't require you to know anything about the game, in fact knowing the game actually makes some of it rather predictable (though in a good way).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More