Author Topic: Greetings, gentlemen!  (Read 2692 times)

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Greetings, gentlemen!
« on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 01:13:53 »
I must say, I am one of those "gamers" who somehow got into mechanical keyboards. Anyway, not like FILCO or Metadot are doing much advertisement anyway.

First, what I really need to blame for changing my keyboard into something else, is the fact that a ultra-low quality rubber dome keyboard pissed me off at home. Well, one of the reasons it got even worse was because my sister spilled an entire cup of coke over it, but anyway, I knew that thing was done for and I wanted a new keyboard.

Since I had already spent some good amount of money which I never thought I would on a mouse (the Corsair M60, costed me here in my country about US$ 80), I thought that maybe wasting some cash on the keyboard would be a good deal as well.

As any gamer, I started lurking for gaming keyboards. First, I found the Roccat Arvo, and honestly loved its appearance, but for my own luck, when I went to buy it, it was out of stock.

It was only then, that I finally lost my "gamer focus" and lurked for more info regarding keyboards by January/February. Most of the info I found at were already aimed at people who already had knowledge about mechanical keyboards, not really for people who are beginners at this stuff. Even so,  I found 3 keyboards available on a website that had a good price and shipping for Brazil:

Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Silent (Which had like, 5/5 reviews on Amazon) - US$ 145, shipping included.
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Which had lots of fanboys saying it was good and lots of RMA cases and some heavy bashing on some places) - US$ 140, shipping included.
Corsair K90 (which by the time, I thought that it was a good keyboard)  - US$ 140, shipping included.

And thank heavens I did the right choice and chose the Das.

Anyway, I had quite some time to do research after I ordered my Das Keyboard (since it was out of stock, took 4 weeks to get back on stock and 3 months to arrive at my hands due to shipping and customs problems) and I really lurked the interwebs for info about mechanical keyboards (especially Das Keyboard reviews) and noticed that there was just about NO info about mechanical keyboards in Brazilian Portuguese. The situation was so critical, that if someone were to recommend a mechanical keyboard on Brazilian forums, over 9000 retards would say "Hey, this keyboard looks way too simple, it sucks! Buy a Razer Lycosa for R$ 400 (US$ 200) or a Thermaltake Challenger Pro for R$ 350 (US$ 175) and it will be a lot better!"

Well, as soon as my keyboard arrived, I started noticing that it was really god damn good and I needed to share this knowledge with other people.

Thus, I started making a thread on a little-known web-forum where I am a moderator. Took about a few months till I had something decent, then I posted it also on the biggest Brazilian Forum on the internet, the Adrenaline Forum, as you can see here:

http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/forum/hardwares-em-geral/416788-guia-do-teclado-mecanico-3g-warning.html

And the good thing, is that after I made this post, the number of people who were recommending illuminated keyboards which costed the same as a mechanical keyboard has heavily dropped. More like, I finally gave some light for people that mechanical keyboards are in no way in hell inferior to membrane keyboards and those who wanted to contest my opinion, wouldn't be able to do so because my article was well built and contained lots of facts.

Anyway, I know I still have a lot to learn and that's why I'm here. My article may contain some mistakes and I also need to add new content, but, it has already served the purpose of enlightening people about what mechanical keyboards really are.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2012, 01:32:33 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Greetings, gentlemen!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:54:09 »
TL:DR

Anyways:

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:55:28 »
welcome to geekhack!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 12:27:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 16:22:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That looks like an informative site - well done :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 19:20:17 »

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
Greetings, gentlemen!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 23:01:04 »
Heh, be welcome fellow Brazilian!

Just wondering: where did you buy your Das? Metadot does not ship to Brazil ATM.
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 23:47:17 »

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 18:30:17 »
Heh, be welcome fellow Brazilian!

Just wondering: where did you buy your Das? Metadot does not ship to Brazil ATM.

www.linkecomputer.com

(Warning: Do not get scared with the value that appears on the products. That's Hong Kong Dollar, an ultra-inflated coin, open up a product and click "Other Currencies" to see the price in US$)

They had the old Costar stock when I bought there, but nowadays they have a good stock of FILCO keyboards for an affordable price and free shipping world-wide (including for Brazil)

Check out my topic on Adrenaline forum, a guy just received a FILCO Majestouch 2 from them:
http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/forum/hardwares-em-geral/416788-guia-do-teclado-mecanico-3g-warning-19.html#post1067057781

The Mionix Zibal 60 is also one of the good choices available there. US$ 141 with free shipping.

Another great website to buy, is Perfomance-PCs.
http://www.performance-pcs.com

These guys, have even Déck keyboards, which are built like a tank, but they're a bit more expensive than Linkecomputer on a few things.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 October 2012, 18:40:44 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 02:51:14 »
Read the whole thing ; )

Glad you're converting people.

Yeah, I would never go back to buying ****ty "gaming branded" keybaords with illumination over a mechanical keyboard. My Filco has done a great year with me and It's amazing.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline skryl

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:58:07 »
Welcome to GH mate!
Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:19:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack! These keyboards really are something..
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)