Author Topic: Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?  (Read 69331 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?
« on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:25:11 »
I've also posted this on Deskthority:

https://deskthority.net/other-devices-f3/does-your-ideal-mouse-exist-t12917.html#p286347

I am interested in seeing responses from both sides of the Atlantic. My comments on mice are certainly not proper reviews; they are merely my impressions based largely on the feel and look of the various mice.

Recently, I have been testing mice in an effort to find a suitable replacement for my Razer Deathadder Black Edition (DA BE). The mouse is still going strong, but it is starting to look scruffy from years of use, and it surely must fail eventually. Unfortunately, this mouse is no longer in production and the current Razer products seem not to be built as well.

I am looking for a solidly built large right-handed corded (wired) mouse suitable for my palm grip. I also prefer a good optical sensor (but I could tolerate a laser sensor) and a simple design with no more than 6 to 8 buttons.

After much searching, I am finding it difficult to find a mouse that meets all my expectations. Before embarking on this latest quest, I had never considered doing a mouse mod or a custom build for a mouse, but I am beginning to think this might be necessary in order to get the mouse that I want.

I tried the Razer DA Chroma, but I returned it because the scroll wheel rattles, especially when scrolling upward. Although I would prefer an optical sensor, at the moment my favorite alternative to the DA BE is the Razer Mamba Tournament Edition (TE); it is a laser mouse, but it has most of the characteristics I am seeking, including a quiet scroll wheel. However, the right-hand forward side button rattles, giving the mouse a cheap hollow feel whenever that button is touched. It is also difficult to press the side buttons without momentarily changing my grip.

Many reviews give high marks to the Logitech G502, but in the past I have had bad luck with Logitech mice. In particular, I am not fond of the dual-action scroll wheel whereby you can shift to a freely spinning wheel. I prefer a solidly built rubberized and notched wheel.

Here is a brief summary of mice I have tested recently:

Corsair M65 RGB: Solidly build with an aluminum frame, but I found the sniper button distracting. It also has a laser sensor rather than an optical sensor and it was somewhat too short and low for me.

Ducky Secret Mouse: Innovative construction -- made of PBT with accessible screws so that the mouse can be dismantled without removing the teflon feet or breaking any seals or labels. However, the mouse is too slippery to pick up easily without changing your grip.

Mionix Castor: Good build quality, but a bit too small for me.

Mionix Naos 7000: Good build quality and ergonomic shape, but too smooth to pick up easily without changing your grip.

Razer Deathadder Chroma: Excellent overall, but it has an unacceptably noisy scroll wheel.

Razer Mamba Tournament Edition: Very good overall and my current favorite. Good, quiet scroll wheel that also has horizontal scrolling. However, as noted above, the right-hand forward side button rattles, giving the mouse a cheap hollow feel whenever that button is touched. It is also difficult to press the side buttons without momentarily changing my grip.

Roccat Kone XTD Optical: Feels solid. The best scroll wheel I have ever tried; it also has horizontal scrolling. Unfortunately, the mouse has an ostentatious logo and the clear plastic used for the cosmetic LED stripes has a sticky feel. It is sad that Roccat has allowed purely cosmetic choices to interfere with functional characteristics of the mouse. They make a smaller version (the Kone Pure line) without the LED stripes, but it is too small for my palm grip.

Steelseries Rival 300: Feels solid. Excellent grips and pleasing rubberized surface. Quiet scroll wheel. Definitive switch clicks. Side buttons easy to locate with minimal change in grip; however, the side clicks are a bit loud. The LED lighting is somewhat uneven, and I am not fond of the logo.

Zowie EC1-A (2016 version with red logo): Perhaps the simplest design of all the mice I have tested. Excellent fit for my palm grip. Well-placed buttons (including those on the left side). The understated non-illuminated red logo is my favorite of all the mice I have tested thus far. In keeping with the minimalist design, there is no software. The switch for DPI settings is inconveniently located on the underside of the mouse. The DPI settings are indicated by a change in color of the scroll-wheel LED, and this LED cannot be inactivated. Unfortunately, the left-click switch sticks occasionally when dragging a window, and the surface is a bit too smooth, making it difficult to pick up the mouse without dropping it. The scroll wheel is also somewhat noisy.

Other mice I would like to try include the following (not yet tested):

Asus ROG Gladius: This one has some innovations, including swappable Omron switches and a detachable cable. Unfortunately, it has an illuminated logo with the words, "Republic of Gaming". They should lose the words and just have a symbolic logo. In addition, although it comes with replacement switches and encourages modding, it is necessary to remove the teflon feet to get to the screws. Asus should take a look at the Ducky Secret Mouse, which has completely accessible screws.

Cougar 550M: This one measures 135 x 70 x 45 mm (l x w x h), which I think is the largest of the group (the Rival 300 is close -- 133 x 70 x 45 mm). The size and shape should be to my liking, and reviews indicate that it is solidly built with a sturdy scroll wheel and excellent optical sensor. However, I am not fond of the oversized gaming logo and orange accents in the color scheme.

Gigabyte XM300: This mouse looks great on paper. It is a brand-new entry from Gigabyte that is expected to be available in the US by the end of February 2016. Its dimensions are similar to the Zowie EC1-A.

Some of the above mice would do nicely, but they are not quite ideal. It is tempting to think of what could be done by selecting the best characteristics from several mice and constructing a hybrid. In my case, I would like to take the best optical sensor and install it in a shell with the handsome looks of the Mamba TE, the size and shape of the Cougar 550m, the solid feel of the Rival 300, the sturdy scroll wheel from the Roccat Kone XTD, and the muted red logo from the Zowie. Frankenmouse!

Does your ideal mouse exist, or would you like to have one built to your specifications, like an individually tailored suit?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:53:06 »
You can always change yourself. (You can read that in multiple ways, including "relearn the way you use the interface" or "stop being an elitist snob".)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:02:12 »
Yes.
It's on my desk.

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:25:01 »
Yes.
It's on my desk.

Basically this, and the ability to adapt when needed.  :))
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:42:04 »
Zowie fk1 with a better build quality and scroll wheel. Something that won't **** on my in about a year. 70$ for a mouse and have it crap a year later is really ****ty

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:53:06 »
I'd need it tailored, since there's nothing out there with the combination of shape, spec, and feature set that would be "ideal" for me. In fact, shape alone rules out most mice for me, since my grip style is not one that many companies dare to release mice for-- and when they do, they usually give them vastly inferior spec to mice designed for more common grips. Even then, they usually half-@$$ the shape, too, to try and make the mouse friendlier to more common grips.

I don't really care about appearance-- in fact, I reserve the right to laugh at anyone who loses because they bought a "classy" mouse instead of focusing more on performance :p. I just want something with the shape that would maximize control with my grip, a top-level optical sensor and switches, and a few extra buttons to work with. So far, the closest thing I've found is a Team Scorpion Zealot Jr.-- the sensor in that is getting a bit outdated now, and it's only a three-button mouse, but at least the shape is vaguely close to being usable (though it does have a couple of flaws that slightly reduce control in certain directions).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:12:20 »
Rollermouse Red is doing a pretty good job for me.  However, the Rollermouse is not a good fit for tall vintage keyboards, like beam springs, or split keyboards.  So there are limitations.

The solution is learning how to navigate your desktop using mostly keyboard controls.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline raymogi

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:17:15 »
For the longest time I thought it's the Steelseries Sensei wireless. I love it so much that I don't think I can get another good mouse. Then I quit gaming and started to look for something else and I came across the MX Master. Oh my, this thing is really nice. It feels good in the hand and overall just suits me perfect.

I did get a Mionix Castor as well during my recent stay overseas (along with a new laptop) as I got nothing to do and started gaming again. For the price, this mouse is really good and even though it feels very uncomfortable on the first day (hurt my pinkie a lot), I think it's on par if not better than the Sensei.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:56:33 »
nope,
and it never will :(
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 16:42:55 »
The sensor and comfort are the two major points for me. The rest are frills - I don't care about macros, a plethora of buttons, RGB led, and all the other nonsense that is a part of mice these days.

When I was using 800 CPI and lower resolution monitors, the MX518 and later G400 was unbeatable to anything else that I had tried.

At 1600 CPI for 2560x1440 for most purposes, and 800 mostly still for FPS, the Castor has been perfect for me.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 17:55:35 »
nope,
and it never will :(

This^

More picky about mice than I am about keyboards. Competitive FPS gamer for too many years... :p

I have come to really love the 3366 sensor, but the G303 and G502 are both not without faults.
G502 shape is much better, but perhaps a little too wide at the top and not wide enough in the center? just very small things though.
buttons of the G303 are far better than those of G502, but the G303 shape is too flat and narrow up front.

scroll wheel on the G502 is a nightmare, too heavy and painful to scroll with a lot.

it weighs a little too much as well, I prefer my mice under 100grams without cable.
feet are oddly shaped, just simple rounder ones have worked better for me in my experience.

cable braided... catches on edge of mousepad and frays both cable and pad... not flexible enough either.

unnecessary LEDs and all that jazz too, and too many side buttons.

yeah, so, not perfect. the scroll wheel implementation in most mice is horrible. Mionix and Roccat do it really well IMO though, on some of the mice that I've tried.

perhaps I'd love the Castor if it was 3366 sensor instead.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 18:08:55 »
Mionix are too infatuated with the 3310 for that to happen. It's understandable, but the 3366 was clearly better when I used the G502.

If Logitech made 3 changes to the G502, they would have the best mouse on the market:

-Flexible braided cable such as what Mionix employs
-G402/G303 mousewheel as a bare minimum, but they have some lessons to learn from Mionix here too
-Redesign the cable guard being used on the current crop of mice - it's absurdly intrusive
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 03:43:32 »
those are very good points. I'd be happy seeing 3360 in the Castor. will be interesting to see what 2016 brings :))

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:46:40 »
Shape and scroll = Logitech Revolution (such a good mouse!)
Internals +  G700s, add battery life and bluetooth.

Lastly, take a trick from Gigabyte and allow easy replacement of the Omron switches. I seem to destroy the left mouse button every 16 months or so. Normally, this isn't a big deal as Logitech or someone else comes out with a  good upgrade, but that seems to have changed now. The first G700 I tried to fix, it didn't go so well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 18:34:03 »
Trackball, lightweight, FK1 shaped, 2 macros on a side? Nada.

Offline Marizen

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:47:36 »
First, I'd like to start with stating that I have different grips for different games. For most games I use a palm grip, but for MOBA's and RTS type games I have a lazy claw grip.

Here are my opinions:

Naos 7000: It would be perfect if it was a little larger. Since it's kind of small it slips out of my hands when I'm using a palm grip. The whole reason I bought it is because I thought it would finally satisfy my need for a true palm grip mouse, but I was pretty disappointed.

Logitech G502: Worst scroll wheel ever. Too clunky and heavy for gaming. Adds a ton of weight to the front of the mouse which completely throws off the balance.

DA: Terrible button quality in every one that I've owned since they switched to the green scheme (including Chroma). Either the left or right click always feels squishy straight out of box. I love the shape, but I feel like the side grips are too small to be an effective palm mouse, and it's too large for me to lazy claw. I like to lift with all my fingers, but only my pinky and thumb are on a grippy spot.

Logitech G303: Near perfect for when I use my lazy claw grip, but the cable guard is too long. It makes the mouse feel somewhat stiff and hard to move, despite the small size and weight. Other than that, I love the G303.

SteelSeries Rival:This used to be my favorite mouse until I broke the scroll wheel. It lasted me about three months of gaming before whatever holds the wheel in place broke, so I can still use the scroll wheel but it tilts to the side sometimes and I have to pop it back into place. Also, the little nubs get kind of annoying. I wish they would have just made it grippy rubber without nubs. I do love the buttons on the Rival. They're quiet, but still responsive and tactile.

Logitech G602: Probably the most comfortable mouse I've used. I love that it's wireless and still functions well for gaming, and on top of that it's optical. The downside to that is it's a little heavy because of the battery. If they made a wired version this would be my ideal mouse.

Roccat Nyth: Ring finger rest is shaped awkwardly. I have to drape my pinky over the side instead of around it like on the Naga. Also the sensor has a weird liftoff bug. Side buttons get in the way.

Razer Naga (2014): I love the shape (probably on par with G602 in comfort), but the side buttons get in the way when playing shooters.

Logitech G400: Used to be my ideal mouse, but the shape has become awkward as my hands have grown.

Sharkoon Fireglider: Nice shape, but it's heavy and slippery.

Mionix Castor: Nice shape, but too small for me.

Razer Abyssus: I liked the original, but the new one is slippery because they went to some weird cheap textured plastic instead of a gloss finish.

Logitech G700s: Too heavy, and I'm not huge on the curves. Laser sensor is pretty good, but I'd prefer optical.

Corsair Sabre: Too wide and kind of slippery.

Corsair M65: I actually love the overall shape, but it's a bit too heavy even with no weights installed. Also, the gaps make it feel really awkward to me. If they'd just fill in and round off those gaps, it would be great.

There is no perfect mouse for me that I've found, and I've tried a lot :(

Sorry for the essay :P
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 00:17:52 by Marizen »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 16:41:19 »
I was trying out mice for a bit then stopped.  My latest experiment is heading back to Amazon.

Current mouse: Logitech G5 (no, not 500 or 500s, G5... it's old but reliable).

Razer Mamba / Mamba Chroma.  In the process of sending this one back to Amazon.  To sum up in two words; too small.  I really want a taller mouse than this.  It's also a bit light with no ability to adjust weight.  Also no on-mouse ability to switch sensitivity.  Last, the mouse buttons curve outward, causing awkward finger locations for my ring and pinky fingers.

Steelseries Sensei.  I kind of like it but I would much prefer something right-hand only and a lot more ergonomic a shape than the old MS shape.  I can handle using one for casual stuff but if I'm gaming heavily, it becomes painful to not have my wrist slanted.

Logitech G700.  Honestly, I'd probably still have this mouse were it not for the thumb buttons on there.  The side of my thumb kept scraping the edge of the side buttons and it became unpleasant after doing that for a little while.  An otherwise comfortable shape.

Looking at:
Logitech G502.  I'm iffy on it, having played with it a bit at Best Buy, so haven't put down money on one at this point.  It also seems to be shorter than I'd prefer.

Steelseries Rival 300.  Played with the old Rival a bit at Best Buy and it feels pretty comfortable.  The rubber erosion issues are supposedly fixed but there were driver issues last I read up on it. 

Zowie EC1-A.  This one seems positive with no special drivers but without being able to get my hands on it and test a bit, I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on it right now.

Offline Marizen

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:05:05 »
Zowie EC1-A.  This one seems positive with no special drivers but without being able to get my hands on it and test a bit, I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on it right now.

Same issue here. I want one really bad, but I'm scared to go for it because I have no way to feel it first. Some people say it's too large, but that's a positive in my book. I find that most mice don't have enough of an arch. Most mice are too small for me to palm grip the way I like to hold it. I've also heard that they are great in terms of performance, but only about average build quality. There has already been a recall since they became BenQ/Zowie. If I were to get one it would have to be previous generation. I've read the switches are stiffer on the older ones, which I like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:31:01 by Marizen »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:23:19 »
@Marizen: I mostly agree with your assessments of the ones that I have also tested. I haven't tried the original SS Rival, but at the moment I am favoring the SS Rival 300.

Since my original post, I have been able to test the Cougar 550M. I like the size, shape, weight, and switches. The buttons are well placed to enable actuation without shifting hand position. The scroll wheel is smooth and quiet with just enough notched tactility to provide desired feedback. The DPI selector switch works well, and there are functional LEDs to indicate the DPI setting. However, the glide is not as smooth as other mice I have tested -- there is a bit more friction. I am also not too keen on the color scheme, Cougar logo, and cosmetic lighting. The worst thing for me is that the smooth plastic shell gets sticky after just a few seconds of use.

As for the Zowie EC1-A, from what I had read, I expected to like this mouse. To reiterate my previous commetns, I did like the size, shape, and weight along with the switches. I also liked the muted and simple logo. I didn't like the DPI setting on the underside of the mouse and the inability to turn off the LED that illuminates the scroll wheel. My least favorite things about the Zowie were the noisy scroll wheel and slippery surface.

Offline Marizen

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:37:51 »
As for the Zowie EC1-A, from what I had read, I expected to like this mouse. To reiterate my previous commetns, I did like the size, shape, and weight along with the switches. I also liked the muted and simple logo. I didn't like the DPI setting on the underside of the mouse and the inability to turn off the LED that illuminates the scroll wheel. My least favorite things about the Zowie were the noisy scroll wheel and slippery surface.

Ah ya I probably won't get the Zowie then. I don't mind the LED's and I like the idea of no drivers (I use 400, 800, or 1600 depending on the game, so it works perfectly for me), but if it's slippery that's a deal-breaker. It's hard to tell, because a lot of people say the DA is really grippy because of the rubber side grips, but for whatever reason (probably has to do with skin oils or something) it's super slippery for me, and the old glossy surfaces that are all pretty much gone now (because people complained about them being slippery and getting dirty easily) were really grippy for me. So if the Zowie coating is anything like the Naos 7000 coating, I'll avoid it. All the reviews I read for the Naos said it was really grippy because it's all rubber, but it just slips right out of my hand.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 20:32:12 »
First, I'd like to start with stating that I have different grips for different games. For most games I use a palm grip, but for MOBA's and RTS type games I have a lazy claw grip.

funnily enough i noticed this with myself as well. i'm still much in the process of discovering which kind of grip/mouse works best for me, depending on the game.
for example how i tend to grip my mouse in CSGO is totally different from when i'm casually playing an RTS.
it likely has something to do with sensitivity, how often i have to lift up the mouse, if i have to make fast swipes, etc.
some games change my entire posture, and naturally also my arm position and in turn the way i grip.

Logitech G400: Used to be my ideal mouse, but the shape has become awkward as my hands have grown.

man, i went through the same. it was pretty shocking to me when i realized that.. i don't really appreciate the G400 anymore ;D
i had even bought a backup one, spare shells, spare feet..
over time i've gradually been lowering my sensitivity, and i suspect that has probably impacted my grip a lot.
for my current grip, the G400 is just too heavy and doesn't feel good when palming it. the left side of the mouse is too high and the thumb-area is very wrong.

Sharkoon Fireglider: Nice shape, but it's heavy and slippery.

this one was pretty comfortable, but i agree it's quite heavy. i rate it low for any serious gaming.
it's also virtually impossible to keep clean, at least without some serious effort. particularly the rubber side grips and the scroll wheel.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:49:58 »
Trackball, lightweight, FK1 shaped, 2 macros on a side? Nada.
Do you mind if I inquire why you would prefer a lightweight trackball over stocky trackball?

Offline Marizen

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 23:37:16 »
for my current grip, the G400 is just too heavy and doesn't feel good when palming it. the left side of the mouse is too high and the thumb-area is very wrong.

My only real issue with it is the ledge on the right side. There's just no way for me to hold the mouse and have it feel natural. I used to do my middle finger on the scroll wheel and ring finger on the right click, with my pinky under the ledge. That felt great when my hands were skinnier, but now it just feels so cramped. If I move my  middle finger to the right click and my ring finger to on top of the ledge it just feels so weird.

Sadly, the G402, which was supposed to be a replacement (from what I've heard, but I don't really see how because it's shaped nothing like the G400) is even skinnier, so it's even worse for my hands.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 00:05:41 »
If only Logitech would make a vertical mouse with a good optical sensor in it and DPI switching.  I'd buy one very quickly to give it a spin.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:45:55 »
Yes. It's my Avior 7000. It's perfect. For me, it's an intellimouse on steroids: great sensor, great buttons, great grip, braided cable, rom.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 05:16:13 »
It's a mythical beast that I am not very confident will ever be found. Loved my MX revolution (especially that scroll wheel, such quality wow) but it had some issues, then got a G9x thinking it would have the same sweet scroll wheel (it didn't), still one of the better mouses I have ever used but still not perfect. Don't know what to replace it with... :( I want something with epic build quality (proper ball bearing scroll wheel) and reasonably simple (I don't need a billion buttons, just some well placed useful ones).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 03:07:48 »
It's a mythical beast that I am not very confident will ever be found. Loved my MX revolution (especially that scroll wheel, such quality wow) but it had some issues, then got a G9x thinking it would have the same sweet scroll wheel (it didn't), still one of the better mouses I have ever used but still not perfect. Don't know what to replace it with... :( I want something with epic build quality (proper ball bearing scroll wheel) and reasonably simple (I don't need a billion buttons, just some well placed useful ones).

It's only skin deep, despite the looks, finish and feel, the actual construction of the newer mice is as good or better than the Revolution (which was great all around), it's a bummer they went the direction they did for the exterior.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 05:19:51 »

It's only skin deep, despite the looks, finish and feel, the actual construction of the newer mice is as good or better than the Revolution (which was great all around), it's a bummer they went the direction they did for the exterior.

Definitely only skin deep, I think sensors and things like that have been perfectly fine for a while already (especially if we talking wired). Random stops was one of the issues I had with my MX revolution but I believe wireless for the most part is fine these days as well. We need a nice finish with perhaps some options like weight and possibly even grip style.

Offline MykB77

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:17:03 »
Shape and scroll = Logitech Revolution (such a good mouse!)
Internals +  G700s, add battery life and bluetooth.

Lastly, take a trick from Gigabyte and allow easy replacement of the Omron switches. I seem to destroy the left mouse button every 16 months or so. Normally, this isn't a big deal as Logitech or someone else comes out with a  good upgrade, but that seems to have changed now. The first G700 I tried to fix, it didn't go so well.
+1

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 16:44:11 »
Something like a Deathadder, but a little sturdier/heavier, and with a thumb grip.

I could care less about looks tbh, since your hand covers your mouse 90% of the time you use a PC.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 17:35:12 »
No love for anything from Roccat?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 18:43:51 »
No love for anything from Roccat?
Some companies are just too German :p

Offline UTommieTanka

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 18:54:54 »
Mionix are too infatuated with the 3310 for that to happen. It's understandable, but the 3366 was clearly better when I used the G502.

If Logitech made 3 changes to the G502, they would have the best mouse on the market:

-G402/G303 mousewheel as a bare minimum, but they have some lessons to learn from Mionix here too
-Redesign the cable guard being used on the current crop of mice - it's absurdly intrusive

Pretty much the only things that I would want changed as well. I'f like it if it was a little lighter but it isn't a big deal.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 04:32:08 »
shell-less g9x with g303 sensor
I love Elzy

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 06:27:44 »

Pretty much the only things that I would want changed as well. I'f like it if it was a little lighter but it isn't a big deal.

What's wrong with the 3310? Or is it just that the 3366 is better? Btw.. is that sensor already in other mouses?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 07:44:42 »
nothing is really wrong with the 3310, but yeah the 3366(3360) is better.
the 3366 is used in the G502, G303, G900. the 3360 is used in the Steelseries Rival 700, Finalmouse Scream One and Corsair M65 Pro.
one more mouse might be announced soon. just maybe.

i also think more mice with the sensor will come out this year, or otherwise the next

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 13:15:07 »
nothing is really wrong with the 3310, but yeah the 3366(3360) is better.
the 3366 is used in the G502, G303, G900. the 3360 is used in the Steelseries Rival 700, Finalmouse Scream One and Corsair M65 Pro.
one more mouse might be announced soon. just maybe.

i also think more mice with the sensor will come out this year, or otherwise the next

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad they made the Logitech so "futuristic" not really my taste. Otherwise I would've immediately bought the G502.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 13:53:35 »
Logitech MX518 / G400.

Why the **** did they discontinue them??? argh

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:20:04 »
Logitech MX518 / G400.

Life sucks bro. Why did MS stop making the intellimouse? If they'd make a new one I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:10:36 »
Logitech MX518 / G400.

Life sucks bro. Why did MS stop making the intellimouse? If they'd make a new one I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

same here bro... used one of those IME3.0 that my cousin bought years ago and it was gooding, the ergonomic shape of the slanting body is very good in the hand even for palm/claw hybrid users like me

Can I ask for recommendation here?

Requirements:
- ambidextrous, or if ergonomic, have to be able to use claw gripping
- non-rubberized top coat, because of sweaty palms and cannot stand the rubbery feel of the top coat
- optical instead of laser
- using omron switches because I like them crisp and fast debounce

Currently using Strix Claw, the closet that I can find for my requirement, also have a Gladius NIB, will wait my mouse's middle scrollwheel doubleclicks on me before I open and try that.

Mice I bought and tried:

Razer DeathAdder first gen
Razer Abysus
Logitech G100/ G100S
Logitech G402
Logitech G400
Logitech G700 --------------------- my greatest mistake, sold to my friend after a few months of regret
Microsoft IME3.0
SS Kana v2 ------------------------- secondary
Asus Strix Claw -------------------- primary

Mice bought but not yet used/ tried:

ROG Gladius

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:15:33 »

Razer Abysus
Logitech G100/ G100S
Logitech G402
Logitech G400
Logitech G700 --------------------- my greatest mistake, sold to my friend after a few months of regret
Microsoft IME3.0

ROG Gladius

You already have the best mouse.. G100s..

Offline rurushu

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:18:35 »

Razer Abysus
Logitech G100/ G100S
Logitech G402
Logitech G400
Microsoft IME3.0

ROG Gladius

Show Image

but... but... it's so light!!!  :eek:

Okay... probably I missed one of my requirement, it has to have some weight in it. Don't have to have adjustable weights, just heavy is good enough.
I like them hefty mice, any thoughts?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:31:44 »

Show Image

Okay... probably I missed one of my requirement, it has to have some weight in it. Don't have to have adjustable weights, just heavy is good enough.

Well, if you like heavy, the obvious choice is G502

Offline rurushu

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:39:31 »

Show Image

hmm.... this one.... okay, I can go research more about it.

Thanks for the tip Tp.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:49:07 »
rurushu how about Ducky Secret? it's not ambidextrous, but it's heavy and there's no rubber. in fact, the shell is made out of PBT (afaik it's the only mouse with a PBT shell).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 01:59:54 »
rurushu how about Ducky Secret? it's not ambidextrous, but it's heavy and there's no rubber. in fact, the shell is made out of PBT (afaik it's the only mouse with a PBT shell).

dahhh... buhhh..

I got nothing against the Duck S

But I am not yet convinced they have the engineering expertise/experience in the mouse arena to produce as refined a product as Logitech..

They may be able to snap parts together, but there are many details which merely take time to master. And the Duck S being their very first foray, is imho not an ideal choice, given the option of a G502..

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 02:25:04 »
Anyone have experience with a G502 vs G9x? I'm very much a claw grip. Also any comment on the G502's scrollwheel? For reference my fav scroll wheel is on the MX revolution.

Thinking of maybe replacing my G9x with a G502 but not totally convinced yet.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 02:47:52 »
dahhh... buhhh..

I got nothing against the Duck S

But I am not yet convinced they have the engineering expertise/experience in the mouse arena to produce as refined a product as Logitech..

They may be able to snap parts together, but there are many details which merely take time to master. And the Duck S being their very first foray, is imho not an ideal choice, given the option of a G502..

i'm with you, but he's asking for a claw-grippable mouse without rubberized parts..
the G502 might be claw-grippable, but only for a handful of big-handed people i think. and it has soft-touch coating, which feels similar to rubberized.

in terms of performance i'd absolutely recommend the G502, but not everyone's a performance freek :-)

Anyone have experience with a G502 vs G9x? I'm very much a claw grip. Also any comment on the G502's scrollwheel? For reference my fav scroll wheel is on the MX revolution.

Thinking of maybe replacing my G9x with a G502 but not totally convinced yet.

i don't own a G502, but these shapes have nothing in common.
pictures:
More

i think it's safe to say that liking the G9x says nothing about whether you'd like the G502, it's a totally different shape.
that doesn't mean you will dislike the G502, but you certainly will have to grip differently.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 03:04:22 by Bucake »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 03:28:12 »

Show Image

G900 is even heavier if you can afford it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 03:28:49 »

But dat plastic on the side where the leds **** their light out... that feels just wrong man. But perhaps not everybody find that annoying.