Author Topic: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back  (Read 77369 times)

Offline zzyjayfree

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 09:43:15 »
Today is the last day for Moon GB, enter before it closes at 23:59 tonight central time. 9:59 pm for west coast and 1:59 am (+1) for east cost.
Invoices will go out in a week after GB closes (before 14th), and after that you have two weeks or so to fund yourself (payment window closes on Jun 30th).

Great news :) (Production time is pretty much fixed span I guess?)

Ye this production should be quick, given EVE has CNC'd a batch for Chinese GB, he should be aware of the obstacles if there was any
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 09:43:56 »
Today is the last day for Moon GB, enter before it closes at 23:59 tonight central time. 9:59 pm for west coast and 1:59 am (+1) for east cost.
Invoices will go out in a week after GB closes (before 14th), and after that you have two weeks or so to fund yourself (payment window closes on Jun 30th).

Ye this production should be quick, given EVE has CNC'd a batch for Chinese GB, he should be aware of the obstacles if there was any

SWEET! :)

Offline FactoryDefaults

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - LAST DAY TO ENTER
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 09:56:36 »
Excited for this!

Are you by any chance also the maker of Ori and the Blind forest? This is what their game studio logo looks like: And this is the Moon logo:

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 09:58:28 »
Really want to see some color blocks or NO filter images of the colors before i can justify to myself to pay  :-X

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #254 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 09:59:22 »
Excited for this!

Are you by any chance also the maker of Ori and the Blind forest? This is what their game studio logo looks like:
Show Image
And this is the Moon logo:
Show Image

Nah, indeed the Moon logo came from this, and that is why we decided to change it. But than so many people wanted the old logo so all we could do is to make some changes and sort of went back to it
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 10:04:00 »
Excited for this!

Are you by any chance also the maker of Ori and the Blind forest? This is what their game studio logo looks like:
Show Image
Show Image

Nah, indeed the Moon logo came from this, and that is why we decided to change it. But than so many people wanted the old logo so all we could do is to make some changes and sort of went back to it

Haha it's fine, don't mind either way. Just saw the logo when booting up Ori, and i was like 'wait a minute, that looks familiar'. Do you think you will have any clearer pics of the colors/preset color combos any time soon?

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #256 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 10:22:16 »
Excited for this!

Show Image
Show Image

Haha it's fine, don't mind either way. Just saw the logo when booting up Ori, and i was like 'wait a minute, that looks familiar'. Do you think you will have any clearer pics of the colors/preset color combos any time soon?

Really want to see some color blocks or NO filter images of the colors before i can justify to myself to pay  :-X

Just talked to whoever took the pics, there was actually no film used, but he said he did use some warn/soft lighting. I requested pics under natural lighting and he said he will get them tomorrow (it's night of Jun 7th in China now). So for those who are hesitating, I suggest to enter your order, you still have till Jun 30th to decide

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 10:36:28 »
Excited for this!

Show Image
Show Image

Just talked to whoever took the pics, there was actually no film used, but he said he did use some warn/soft lighting. I requested pics under natural lighting and he said he will get them tomorrow (it's night of Jun 7th in China now). So for those who are hesitating, I suggest to enter your order, you still have till Jun 30th to decide

Thanks man!

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 11:14:59 »
Excited for this!

Show Image
Show Image

Thanks a lot for that, that will help a lot of people with their color choices. I am also looking forward to seeing the military green combo in a different light!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #259 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:00:22 »
Guess you got me to enter last minute. Can't wait to see the colors for my final decision.

Just wondering, does the PCB follow the standard A87 spec? It would be so awesome if it fits into other boards.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:22:15 »
Would it be possible to get a complete list of color options available once they have been decided? That way, if the color combo we chose isn't available, we can switch to another custom combo instead of canceling.

Offline swangful

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 12:25:56 »
Excited for this!

Show Image
Show Image

The new logo is much cleaner anyway :D
This is the final one right?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:05:34 »

I believe this is the logo as noted in the first post

Offline blighty

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:37:01 »

Is there a picture of the mini-usb port on any of the CNC'd batch from the Chinese GB?
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Tally810

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 16:21:00 »

I believe this is the logo as noted in the first post
Show Image

I want that color in that picture real bad.  :ý

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 17:50:44 »
Can you please confirm whether the logo in the GH buy will change to something different such as this?

It's the last day, and I like the board, but won't join if the logo doesn't change. As it stands now, it's just blatant plagiarism, it's almost a 1 to 1 copy of the original.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 17:57:41 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Nalif

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 18:34:43 »
I also feel that the beautiful design is cheapened by borrowing a logo from another product. Surely with such an expertly designed case an original logo could have been created?

I've read that previous supporters of the Moon did not want the logo to change. Maybe they were not aware that the Moon logo had essentially been lifted from a game?

It's also worth noting that even the alternative logo is a direct lift from an existing company. It looks like someone Googled "moon logo" and used some of the ones that looked like they would be good for CNC.

It's still a fantastic looking board. Still, feels bad :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 18:41:17 by Nalif »

Offline swangful

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 18:35:20 »
Can you please confirm whether the logo in the GH buy will change to something different such as this?

Show Image

It's the last day, and I like the board, but won't join if the logo doesn't change. As it stands now, it's just blatant plagiarism, it's almost a 1 to 1 copy of the original.

I'd like to know too...

Seems like theres some discrepancy between this thread and what was stated in the IC thread here:

09-MAY-2017 Update 4:
A few updates referring to issues listed from previous updates:
-There will be indents for rubber feet, it will be round ones rather than rectangle, you know, like the shape of moon
-PCB will be custom designed and still pending info from the designer
-Plate definitely supports ISO, PCB-wise to be confirmed
-Different color options will be proposed for top case, bot case and plate. There will be four different colors for every part mentioned. I've asked for a list of color demo, will update once I got that
-USB hole design has been finalized, located on right side of the bot case. (CLOSELY) See link: http://imgur.com/flXYMaq
-You probably noticed that logo has also been modified from the link above, that is final
-Bottom weight will not be changed so it will remain as it was: http://imgur.com/W5SZEtn

Offline Kavik

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 19:19:32 »

Show Image

I'd like to know too...

Seems like theres some discrepancy between this thread and what was stated in the IC thread here:

09-MAY-2017 Update 4:
-There will be indents for rubber feet, it will be round ones rather than rectangle, you know, like the shape of moon
-Different color options will be proposed for top case, bot case and plate. There will be four different colors for every part mentioned. I've asked for a list of color demo, will update once I got that
-USB hole design has been finalized, located on right side of the bot case. (CLOSELY) See link: http://imgur.com/flXYMaq
-You probably noticed that logo has also been modified from the link above, that is final
-Bottom weight will not be changed so it will remain as it was: http://imgur.com/W5SZEtn

It's the logo in the first page of this GB thread. The original logo was the same except the little circle was hollow. It was changed to the logo with crescent moon 'O's but no one liked it, so it was changed back to the original logo with the little circle filled in.

I can understand the sentiment of disliking the use of a logo from something else, but how many ways can one incorporate a circle into a word with two 'O's? I think it looks great the way it is.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline swangful

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 20:07:12 »

Show Image

I'd like to know too...

09-MAY-2017 Update 4:

It's the logo in the first page of this GB thread. The original logo was the same except the little circle was hollow. It was changed to the logo with crescent moon 'O's but no one liked it, so it was changed back to the original logo with the little circle filled in.

I can understand the sentiment of disliking the use of a logo from something else, but how many ways can one incorporate a circle into a word with two 'O's? I think it looks great the way it is.

I much prefer the crescent O's...not sure why people dont like it. So much cleaner

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 20:43:20 »

It's also worth noting that even the alternative logo is a direct lift from an existing company. It looks like someone Googled "moon logo" and used some of the ones that looked like they would be good for CNC.

Not only that, but the logo for the weight was lifted too. It's literally a direct copy. Compare this:

with this:

Original source is copyrighted by "JoePrince" here:

https://logopond.com/JoePrince/showcase/detail/68359

This and the alternate logo was literally on the top 20 google image search results. Compare:

to the board:

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:20:41 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:23:06 »
Could we see some photos from the Chinese GB to get an idea of what it looks like without the assistance of Photoshop?
Those glamor shots look awesome - almost too good to be true.

Offline neralo

« Reply #272 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:33:53 »

Not only that, but the logo for the weight was lifted too. It's literally a direct copy. Compare this:

Show Image

with this:

Show Image

This and the alternate logo was literally on the top 20 google image search results. Compare:

Show Image

to the board:

Show Image

have to say this is really concerning. As much as I reaaaaaaaallllllyyyyy want this board, I can't in good conscience condone stealing other people's design and IP. Hopefully zzjayfree could clarify whether or not the original designers of the logos were contacted prior to the keyboard being designed.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:35:08 »

Show Image

with this:

Show Image

Show Image

to the board:

Show Image

Offline Nalif

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:40:27 »
Obviously I do not speak for everyone, nor would I wish to. To me, however, custom are all about the details. People obsess over lubing stems, custom switch stickers, golden springs, etc. Details are doubly important for high-end custom keyboards.

The case is beautiful - but grabbing the logos from the front page of Google images is the equivalent of slapping another car's logo on a Lamborghini.

If there's another round done in the future, I really hope some thought can be put into giving the Moon it's own logo. It's a fantastic looking case that looks to be end-game quality and definitely deserves it's own branding.

I really think the board looks great. As someone who loves keyboards, however, I can't help but feel disappointed at a missed opportunity.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #275 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 22:29:06 »
Just submitted two separate forms, as I am interested in ordering two kits. I made a note of it on my second form after I discussed my color preferences.

Offline swangful

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:36:46 »
So are we going to get some input on what the final design actually is? GB closes soon and I'd love to know :D

Offline Tally810

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:51:49 »
Well I went through and finalized my order.  Instead of replacing with all brass I switch to alum/ss AND brass.  Yolo

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:57:53 »
I have to say I feel very bad for this unfortunate event drama. First of all, I'd like to thank Limitz for digging all this up. I can't imaging what would it be if we are now half way through production. That will definitely be a disaster. I feel sorry for all the people involved, your passion is wasted, ours also. However I'd like to clarify a few things:

-I confirmed that Eve came up with this design by himself and here are some initial design drafts (http://imgur.com/a/ci1v1);
-After the initial design, Eve made the CAD file and was looking for Logos and weight design, so he hired a guy who specializes in this (no really when we look back now)
-Guy denied our initial design (http://imgur.com/a/1eUpY) and provided the OC design and current weight design, also the following logo as we requested. We felt they were better design so they were adopted. And now we all know the rest  :(

For those who are not familiar with China, Google shut down it's Chinese search engine in 2010, therefore a lot of obvious information to us is not so obvious to who lives in China. It's a shame that we didn't realize this earlier. After further dig up I surprisingly found that lots of design companies are doing shady stuff. I found at least three companies are using the weight design and claiming to be theirs, one of which is what we used and paid for: 1)http://www.xmggsjgs.com/?mod=pad&act=view&id=35 2)http://www.yanqingidea.com/html/2016/sjzx_0802/2821.html 3) http://www.nipic.com/show/8833124.html At this point I have to say I'm shocked and very angry. However as a GB runner, I did not look deeper in this as I trusted EVE so much (I still do), and started this GB. For this I blame myself.

At this point, we understand that there's no way we continue to run this GB without a new design. We have no intention to copy other people's work. With the regret I can't emphasize enough, I confirm we will put this GB on hold for now. Please accept our sincere apology. But we will come back soon with 100% original design. We might be even asking for your help for the logo design(for rewards), so everyone gets to express what they like!

Offline rioc

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:10:21 »
I have to say I feel very bad for this unfortunate event drama. First of all, I'd like to thank Limitz for digging all this up. I can't imaging what would it be if we are now half way through production. That will definitely be a disaster. I feel sorry for all the people involved, your passion is wasted, ours also. However I'd like to clarify a few things:

-I confirmed that Eve came up with this design by himself and here are some initial design drafts (http://imgur.com/a/ci1v1);
-After the initial design, Eve made the CAD file and was looking for Logos and weight design, so he hired a guy who specializes in this (no really when we look back now)
-Guy denied our initial design (http://imgur.com/a/1eUpY) and provided the OC design and current weight design, also the following logo as we requested. We felt they were better design so they were adopted. And now we all know the rest  :(

For those who are not familiar with China, Google shut down it's Chinese search engine in 2010, therefore a lot of obvious information to us is not so obvious to who lives in China. It's a shame that we didn't realize this earlier. After further dig up I surprisingly found that lots of design companies are doing shady stuff. I found at least three companies are using the weight design and claiming to be theirs, one of which is what we used and paid for: 1)http://www.xmggsjgs.com/?mod=pad&act=view&id=35 2)http://www.yanqingidea.com/html/2016/sjzx_0802/2821.html 3) http://www.nipic.com/show/8833124.html At this point I have to say I'm shocked and very angry. However as a GB runner, I did not look deeper in this as I trusted EVE so much (I still do), and started this GB. For this I blame myself.

At this point, we understand that there's no way we continue to run this GB without a new design. We have no intention to copy other people's work. With the regret I can't emphasize enough, I confirm we will put this GB on hold for now. Please accept our sincere apology. But we will come back soon with 100% original design. We might be even asking for your help for the logo design(for rewards), so everyone gets to express what they like!

wait, what now?

Offline zzyjayfree

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:19:10 »

wait, what now?

We will come back with new design. At this point I feel like we need a new IC thread.

But I guess people could use some time to recover their wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ___q

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:23:14 »
Oh no, that's a bummer.

Keyboard has a great profile / great curves, I'm sure there will be lots of interest the next time around regardless of what the logos end up being!

Offline rioc

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:23:22 »

wait, what now?

We will come back with new design. At this point I feel like we need a new IC thread.

ok, but only new logo right? Case shape is friggin gorgeous

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:30:45 »

wait, what now?

ok, but only new logo right? Case shape is friggin gorgeous
Yes only new logo and new weight design, casing won't be changed.

Offline neralo

« Reply #284 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:31:46 »

I think this was the best course of action in this situation. Rest assured the next time the IC comes up I'll be raring to go to contribute to the discussion on the logos, and of course, when this goes back up for GB, I'll be one of the first to sign up!

Keep on keeping on guys!
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline Tally810

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:45:45 »
Damn this is a bummer but I understand it.  Will be ready again when this pops back up

Offline rioc

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:46:17 »
yeah, I'll try my hand at a logo idea too :)

Offline swangful

« Reply #287 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:58:34 »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 00:59:22 »
This was absolutely the right move given the circumstances - I will be excitedly waiting for the new original designs on the branding! I hope that the bottom weight and the front logos can be the same for consistency's sake.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #289 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 01:26:06 »
Damn, wish this would have been discovered sooner and not hours before the GB ended  :-X.  Much respect though for doing​ the right thing.  I know there's talent in the GH community and we'll get a better logo out of it.  Still very excited about this board, can't wait for GB pt.2!

Offline rioc

« Reply #290 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 03:01:41 »
let me know when the new thread will go up.

also, some rough concepts I whipped up just now:

All original design by me. (fonts aren't final yet though, just an idea)

- top left:          two moon phases (allthough it reminds me of the Hurley logo a bit, it should be fine regarding copyright issues)
- top right:        five steps of an eclipse making up the logo
- bottom left:    creation of moon (simplyfied) (earth on the right, moon on the left)
- bottom right:  moon scars (Imbrium, Procellarum & South Pole-Aitken)

edit: let me know what you think. (I think top left logo could either use thicker strokes for the circles, or move the letters inside the moon. And also I think the fonts from bottom left and bottom right might look better switched around.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 03:41:37 by rioc »

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 03:46:30 »
waiting.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:03:07 »
Wow

To think that only because of the logo most of you are agree to cancel this GB... I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Offline rioc

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:04:45 »
Wow

To think that only because of the logo most of you are agree to cancel this GB... I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

well, personally I would still be on if it weren't cancelled, but I want that TKL, that shape!

new logo is a small hindrance ;)

Offline rioc

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:13:35 »

Show Image

- top left:          two moon phases (allthough it reminds me of the Hurley logo a bit, it should be fine regarding copyright issues)
- bottom left:    creation of moon (simplyfied) (earth on the right, moon on the left)

edit: let me know what you think. (I think top left logo could either use thicker strokes for the circles, or move the letters inside the moon. And also I think the fonts from bottom left and bottom right might look better switched around.)

Some edits of first and last concepts:

again, open to critique :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:17:26 »
Wow

well, personally I would still be on if it weren't cancelled, but I want that TKL, that shape!

new logo is a small hindrance ;)

Yeah the product design is very good, while it isn't in my taste range but objectively speaking it is very very good!

Offline neralo

[GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:32:41 »

Show Image

Some edits of first and last concepts:
Show Image

again, open to critique :)

Not gonna lie dude, they all look like boobs to me haha

Edit: I actually liked the bottom left one from the origins designs that you did.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:34:30 by neralo »

Offline rioc

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 04:41:49 »

Edit: I actually liked the bottom left one from the origins designs that you did.

me too.

(top right is too derivative still I notice. Didn't have the old logo in mind when doing it, but subconsciously it still must have been present ;) )

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 05:06:13 »
I'm not entering anyway but I gotta say that I respect you canceling the group buy because of something like this. Rooting for you to come up with a new logo that is your own and that you have great success once the group buy goes online again. Until then I wish you the best with ideas and redoing all the files and whatever needs to be done so the show can go on.

TL;DR: RESPECT

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 05:25:43 »
Oh my, hopes were high but more than understandable that you put it on hold. Waiting for the announcement that you continue :)