Author Topic: KMAC 2  (Read 69893 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: KMAC 2
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 05:15:16 »
I just read the thread and wanted to comment on something. All custom mods (lube, sticker, stabilizers) has to be done BEFORE everything is assembled. So you can't really just say clip the cherry stabilizers yourself after you get the assembled kmac. Once the switches are soldered on, there's no way to take out the stabilizers unless you desolder everything again. Same goes with lubing or stickers.

If someone is willing to pay this much for a keyboard, a tad extra for lubing would be a good idea. It makes the keyboard feel so much better. The irony is that someone wants to pay for assembly because they either don't have equipment, don't know how to, or don't have time. But if they have to do mods after it's assembled, then it would have to be completely taken apart again and reassembled, in which case they should have just invested in equipment to build it in the first place. Too bad the kmacs are not like LZ boards where you can have it assembled and still be able to mod it afterwards. Such a simple modification of the plate design could have allowed this.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #251 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 06:45:05 »
WFD's KMAC2's look like 87 layout

Are you sure?  I can provide anything that is available out there.  I tried asking the KMAC team about the specifications on the KMAC 2 yesterday, but they were too busy.  I am still not 100% sure.  I believe when I ordered samples awhile ago though, they asked me, "Do you want winkey or winkeyless?".  I am pretty sure the KMAC 1.2 can be available in both, but I am still unsure about the KMAC 2.

87 key layout does exist, I have 3 on hand to assemble. You just need the PCB that supports it, otherwise the cases and accessories are exactly the same. It even comes with the separate winkeyless blocks, which doesn't even make sense for a 87 key layout (the blocks are grey btw, not gold like in the pictures). It's just a shame they didn't design it similar to Phantom, where users can choose between winkey and winkeyless from only 1 PCB design.
The new KMAC with  those blocks is a very versatile product, however the project leader should consider the idea to redesign the PCB in order to support both 86 & 87 layouts from a single PCB .
That way it would become the only custom keyboard that is compatible with 84/86/87 layouts, also with the addition of the KPAD one can instantly turn it into a full-sized keyboard.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Re: KMAC 2
« Reply #252 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 06:48:50 »
I just read the thread and wanted to comment on something. All custom mods (lube, sticker, stabilizers) has to be done BEFORE everything is assembled. So you can't really just say clip the cherry stabilizers yourself after you get the assembled kmac. Once the switches are soldered on, there's no way to take out the stabilizers unless you desolder everything again. Same goes with lubing or stickers.

If someone is willing to pay this much for a keyboard, a tad extra for lubing would be a good idea. It makes the keyboard feel so much better. The irony is that someone wants to pay for assembly because they either don't have equipment, don't know how to, or don't have time. But if they have to do mods after it's assembled, then it would have to be completely taken apart again and reassembled, in which case they should have just invested in equipment to build it in the first place. Too bad the kmacs are not like LZ boards where you can have it assembled and still be able to mod it afterwards. Such a simple modification of the plate design could have allowed this.

Kmac 2 does not have the plate with cutouts to allow switch modding? Man that's no bueno.  They should redesign that.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #253 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 06:58:49 »
That's what I don't understand either. There should only be 1 PCB design that supports both layouts, similar to Phantom. And the plate should be slightly modified to allow switch removal, also similar to phantom and my plate I designed. They're such simple designs to implement, and so useful.

Maybe Sherryton can pass on the word.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #254 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 07:17:39 »
I thought about that myself.  The only thing I could come up with is that those guys go to extreme lengths for perfect keyfeel (stickers, anyone?).  To that end, perhaps they didn't want to cut any extra holes in the plate.

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 04:33:04 »
One would like to buy this keyboard, what does he need to do in order to get this magnificent piece of equipment at his front door?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
KMAC 2
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:57:31 »
One would need to have about $400 and wait until sherryton puts them up for sale. Then one would have to be quick enough to get one as they are limited to about 50 per type. I don't think they will sell lightning fast so you should be ok!  Patience.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline rurushu

« Reply #257 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:20:20 »

WFD, this applies to both KMAC2 and KMAC1.2? If it is so... then it looks like it's quite a bummer.... >.<

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:37:54 »
WFD, this applies to both KMAC2 and KMAC1.2? If it is so... then it looks like it's quite a bummer.... >.<

It does.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 20:35:10 »
Credit Card process is being finished this week.  KMAC 2 will be on sale either this or next week.  I am absolutely sorry for the delay!

Offline Leewei

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:31:28 »
Naicceee! So are payments going to be upfront? and can be done through credit/debit (instead of amazon payments etc.)?
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:46:33 »
When these go on sale will they be sent out or do they still have to go out and be made  and such?

Offline adamseto

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 03:51:40 »
Dear sherryton

Pls kindly guide order for KMAC 2 (4s)

Thanks & best regards
Name : Lę Duy Hůng ( Alex )
Cell phone : (+84) 979 13 49 53
Email : thanchetdemnoel@gmail.com
BBM : 2AA9E38E
OEM : Filco full red SW/Filco Camouflage full Brown SW/Realforce 108UDK/Realforce 87U Silent/Cherry ESA-3000-HASRO
Custom : KMAC2 VintageBlack 62g/360C Black 60G Gold/TheCheat Vintage Black 62G/Dolphin Vintage Black 60G/LZ-STAN

Offline rurushu

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 08:42:11 »
Hope your paypal issue is resolved by the time KMAC1.2 is on sale....

and providing a clearer order form and options
such as type, color, assemblying services (what one should do if one requests for mods such as stabilizer clipping, switch spring swap, lubing or stickering etc.) and shippings (US and international)
for the KMAC1.2 & 2 would be helpful for the buyers especially first-timers  ;)
just my humble suggestions  :D

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #264 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 11:14:08 »
When these go on sale will they be sent out or do they still have to go out and be made  and such?
There is a approximate lead time of three months from the date of purchase before the boards will be shipped out. At least that's what sherry said before. This may have changed since he's hit a few speed bumps with PayPal etc.. Not sure what the status is on his inventory of the product. Three months is normal for these types of sales. LZ-GH is the same way.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 11:17:54 »
Yeah, i wasnt sure.

I thought because he was opening a legit "store" that they are already made and such.. guess not :P

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 11:27:43 »
For the most part he will have a legit online store. Korean boards like KMAC are a different beast all together and they won't be a regularly stocked item like cap sets are.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
KMAC 2
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 11:44:49 »
LZGH is made by the order, I don't think it's the same with KMAC2. I think Sherry is getting a limited amount and selling it through his store for people that didn't have access to the Korean group buy. The only wait you have is shipping, LZGH is in production.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 12:00:14 »
LZGH is made by the order, I don't think it's the same with KMAC2. I think Sherry is getting a limited amount and selling it through his store for people that didn't have access to the Korean group buy. The only wait you have is shipping, LZGH is in production.

Thx :)

Will wait for sherry to give the official word!

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 12:08:20 »
Well, I suppose it's possible that a few will be stocked at some point, but if someone could buy a KMAC kit without any lead time, I'd expect them to sell out pretty quickly.  I also thought sherry mentioned somewhere that the KMAC's would have a lead time to them similar to the LZ-GH.

Found it:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39627.msg785162#msg785162

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
KMAC 2
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 12:59:33 »
Some GHers already got their hands on KMAC2. I don't think it makes sense if they started shipping when production is not finished, that's why I didn't think the lead time will compare to LZGH.

Also keep in mind, Sherryton has said these will be limited. So my guess is that they will be stocked once for the sale and that's it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 13:05:44 »
Well mine was ordered around late October or early November of last year iirc, and I just now got it. Unless sherryton put in the order around that time too, I don't think he has the 50 on him. He said he only maybe a few sample kmac2's.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
KMAC 2
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 13:50:49 »
Well mine was ordered around late October or early November of last year iirc, and I just now got it. Unless sherryton put in the order around that time too, I don't think he has the 50 on him. He said he only maybe a few sample kmac2's.

This, it's a couple month lead time for kmacs. Pretty positive I heard sherry say that.

Offline i488

« Reply #273 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 08:35:57 »
i will be ordering kmac2 titanium
kmac 1.2 silver
pad silver

Offline FabsSpeed

« Reply #274 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 08:38:23 »
i will be ordering kmac2 titanium
kmac 1.2 silver
pad silver

good call ... my order will look quite simular :) But there is just one board per person ...
| Wanted: KMAC  & KMAC 1.2, 356 Mini, 456 GT |

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 21:16:10 »
I just found out that there are only 21 KMAC 2's available as of now, and they will be ready within next month.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 21:18:15 »
Answer yo PM"s, Sherry

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #277 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 21:19:23 »
Answer yo PM"s, Sherry

Responded.  Sorry, flooded with PMs.

Offline Leewei

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:00:55 »
how many kmac 1.2 are there?
Qsenn dt-35

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:56:44 »
No, but I will start a group buy for that soon after.

Offline Leewei

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:12:49 »
I see, that would be good just in case people can't get into the kmac 2 =)
Qsenn dt-35

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:16:40 »

That is not exactly the case.  I will allow people to order KMAC 2 as well, but they will have to wait approximately 3 months.  The ones that order soon will get it in 2-3 weeks.

Offline Leewei

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:19:14 »

That is not exactly the case.  I will allow people to order KMAC 2 as well, but they will have to wait approximately 3 months.  The ones that order soon will get it in 2-3 weeks.
Wowow! That's great to hear. I thought I would never be able to get one of these =D
Qsenn dt-35

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:36:11 »
So could I make the list for this "round" of kmac 2s?
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:38:06 »
So could I make the list for this "round" of kmac 2s?

I am not following...

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:40:03 »
Have the 21 (about to ship) been spoken for?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:51:39 »
No, I have not taken orders yet.  I will not take orders until everything is ready :)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:53:28 »
10-roger. Thanks for the reply.

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:57:23 »
just wondering: are the modifiers 1.25 or 1.5?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #289 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:56:58 »
It comes in both.  Each kit only supports one or the other, though.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 10:41:20 »
Has there been much discussion on the Korean forums about the KMAC 2 having a slightly different anodized coloring on the top shell vs the base?

Offline Neal

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 04:01:08 »
Really interested in this.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #292 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 17:17:38 »
Has there been much discussion on the Korean forums about the KMAC 2 having a slightly different anodized coloring on the top shell vs the base?

I have not seen any discussion about this yet.  I will ask them.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 18:25:25 »

I think most of them are good.
14360-0

Offline nebo

« Reply #294 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 23:10:40 »

I have not seen any discussion about this yet.  I will ask them.
Have it also been confirmed whether all the 1.2s are using blocks or milled cases?

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 12:32:03 »
Waiting for your Kmac 1.2 rev's GB
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 23:11:11 »
get ready tomorrow :)

Offline Leewei

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 23:12:14 »
=D any time in particular?
Qsenn dt-35

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 23:20:50 »

Can you reveal the numbers of these units/kits that are available?

I might get one if it drags on for a few days.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 23:23:12 »
Sheesh, all these questions!

want it.  see it.  buy it.

easy as that.