Author Topic: My current project, a minimalistic 65% custom Keyboard  (Read 1582 times)

Offline randomeloquentnerd

My current project, a minimalistic 65% custom Keyboard
« on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 02:07:51 »
Greetings to everyone here! I'm quite new here and just getting acquainted with all the rules.
A few weeks ago, I started designing my own keyboard, commencing with learning rudimentary keyboard PCB design and such.
It has been quite fun so far, albeit I'm at an impasse about finally placing the electronics onto the PCB and routing connections between the controller and the keyboard matrix.
Since the board is a tad cramped, I extended the left side to fit the electronics. Whilst trying to connect the controller to the keyboard matrix, I end up having issues with the columns' connections. They don't seem to connect to the right pins, despite redoing the routes multiple times. I wish to connect the columns' top switches' top pins to the controller, but Eagle connects it to the wrong switches.

Any pointers are appreciated; I uploaded my project to my GitHub profile; you can find it here if you wish to check it out:
https://github.com/RandomEloquentNerd/1form65

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Re: My current project, a minimalistic 65% custom Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 03:49:43 »
Hey man, and welcome to GH!

Without having looked into the files:

Im assuming you placed the diodes on the rows?
If this is the case it doen't matter at which point you connect to a column, as all switches are directly connected to each other and have continuity in all directions.

The auto routing function in eagle will attempt to find the easiest path, and therefore may favor connecting somwhere else then the very top of the column as this is just as valid.

Im hoping this anwers your question, If I find some time I can also grab eagle and have a look (Im more used to using easy eda =))

EDIT: just looked at the .brd to confirm. You can wire the controller to the matrix rows and colums anywhere you like. It doesnt have to be from the top and/or left for example =)
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2021, 05:01:26 by FoC_Tow »

Offline randomeloquentnerd

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 11:52:36 »
Hello FoC_Tow!

Thank you so much for replying! That is certainly a relief; I should have thought of that myself, given circuit continuity works the way it does.
I"ll proceed with the project, and post my final results here upon completion (whenever that might be).
I poured a lot of whatever sparse leisure time I had over January, so I thank you profusely for rescuing this project from the abyss)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 05:48:08 »
Very welcome, I'm glad if I was able to help!
Im pretty new to pcb design aswell, so anything pcb related is intresting and educational to me really =)

I just had another look at your schematic and there are two things I noticed (keep in mind Im by no means an expert and dont really know what Im doing for the most part xD).

Firstly, there are a lot of open/not connected GND Pins on the MCU, to my understanding these all need to be grounded.
And secondly, you have a over voltage protector and ferit bead between VBUS and +5V (providing protection to +5V), but +5V is only used in the reset circut, the mcu itself is provided with non filtered VBUS, is this correct/intentional?
(I have only designed one pcb so far and admittedly not included anything circut protection related, so this stood out to me)

Also your columns are mostly unassigned, but Im guessing this is a result of testing the original issue.

Definitely post some updates of the project! Im very interested to see where this goes! =)