Author Topic: TOMAK (토막) - Tented Split TKL by SR Industry  (Read 12814 times)

Offline syryan

• www.kbdmania.net
TOMAK (토막) - Tented Split TKL by SR Industry
« on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 08:33:44 »
[IC] TOMAK (토막) (Tented Split TKL)

Who am I?

I am Syryan - a hardcore keyboard enthusiast whose journey in designing keyboards began when the "Custom Keyboard Hobby" emerged in South Korea, alongside other OTD members and Lin. My designs have always centered around the needs and preferences of our thriving community, which led me to naturally conduct Group-Buys (GBs) within South Korea. However, I am now excited to broaden my horizons and bring my unique expertise to a global clientele through my latest, exceptional keyboard innovation.
At the heart of my design philosophy are two fundamental elements: cutting-edge innovation and unrivaled comfort. With TOMAK, my objective is to craft a keyboard so exquisite that it becomes the epitome of desirability for discerning keyboard users.

To explore my comprehensive range of creations and learn more about my design approach, please visit https://www.srind.kr/. Here, you will gain insights into my commitment to delivering extraordinary keyboard experiences specifically tailored to your needs. 

Let me share some of my previous designs: Brick TKL, Mont Cervin, Dolphin 60, Dolphin Pad, and many more.

What is TOMAK (토막)?
TOMAK (토막) finds its roots in the Korean language, where it translates to "Fragment." This term perfectly encapsulates the essence of this design.

Why Tented Split TKL?
Short answer :  more ergonomic   =   more comfortable

Why TKL?
TKL seamlessly combines functionality and compactness

Why Split?
To ensure shoulder comfort, particularly for individuals experiencing "Round Shoulder" concerns.
For the gamers, who need more space for the mouse.

Why Tented?
For optimal wrist comfort, tenting seamlessly aligns with the wrist's natural angle.

What’s up with additional B, H, Y, 7 Column?
Certain individuals use their left hand to type the keys "B, H, Y, and 7," while others prefer their right hand. To accommodate both preferences, I propose adding an extra column for "B, H, Y, and 7" on the left side of the split keyboard, in contrast to its conventional placement on the right side.

Features

• Tented Split TKL
  • Mounting style: Socks Gasket mounted
  • Plate materials: 5052 Aluminium, Polycarbonate, Carbon Fibre (may change)
  • PCB: Hotswap, PerKey RGB, QMK and VIA/VIAL-compatible USB-C PCBs

Specs
  • 5° typing angle
  • 4° Left Angle, 2.7° Right Angle
  • Full 6063 aluminium construction
  • Sandblasted Brass Weight
  • Bead-blasted and anodised finish
  • Apporx Weight : 3.5kg

Supported Layouts

• Split Backspace
  • Split Right Shift
  • Stepped Capslock

More Renders
Black

E-White

Silver

Photographs
More photographs are coming soon!!

Pricing
The cost is yet to be established. However, due to the complex design, it will not be inexpensive.

Vendors
Main Vendor :  CannonKeys
South Korea :  Syryan Industry
Australia : KeebzNCables
Canada : Deskhero
Europe : EloquentClicks
China : zFrontier

Streams and Other Media
The CannonKeys team is actively planning and organizing streams featuring your favorite content creators, with individual schedules to be released shortly. Additionally, photos of the prototypes will be shared in the near future!

Contact
Note: Updates will mainly be posted on my server and circulated through CannonKeys' newsletter. When the group buy particulars are settled, I'll present a new post on this platform. Kindly be aware that, until the updated post is published, the information shared here could be subject to modifications.

Special Thanks
  • Special thanks to Nico for contributing valuable ideas during the brainstorming process for the design.
  • Also special thanks to ai03 for his hard work on the PCB design.

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 August 2023, 15:34:34 by syryan »

Offline syryan

• www.kbdmania.net
Re: TOMAK (토막) - Tented Split TKL by SR Industry
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 08:35:24 »
reserved

Offline haeland

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 08:38:18 »
Very cool! Rare layout, looking forward to seeing more.

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 08:44:25 »
what a big chungus

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 09:05:25 »
Love to see more tenting/ergo stuff in the hobby, looks good for what seems to be an early stage proto and hope the price is reasonable for this, good luck with the IC.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 09:57:29 »
I find the right bottom row less sophisticated that the rest of the keyboard. I would prefer to have 1.5U's similar to the left side, and no 1U at the left of the space but instead some blockers.

Something like this:
300510-0

The right hand blocker between the space and mods can be used for a logo. A TKL is already big enough for most of us, so more keys will not really do much, at least imo.

Also, instead of having a 1u right of the right shift, why not provide support for ISO altogether?

Offline Patty

• do u like my cat yes or no
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 18:07:46 »
this is very cool, I like the idea of adding the extra B, H, Y, 7 keys but gotta say it looks a little odd when you put it together haha

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 18:36:38 »
I find the right bottom row less sophisticated that the rest of the keyboard. I would prefer to have 1.5U's similar to the left side, and no 1U at the left of the space but instead some blockers.

Something like this:
(Attachment Link)

The right hand blocker between the space and mods can be used for a logo. A TKL is already big enough for most of us, so more keys will not really do much, at least imo.

Also, instead of having a 1u right of the right shift, why not provide support for ISO altogether?

I could see that working, because looking back it does look unrefined, but for a design like this I would prefer more symmetrical bottom row, maybe 3u spacebars could be a good option to consider, like the SP-111 which had it I believe, which could make the layout far more symmetrical but would require spacebars that usually people don't have in base kits (maybe that's a preference thing for me), another thing is that maybe blockers could be added to create that symmetry, but that could also look clumsy. I don't think split right shift should be removed as people prefer it as a way to access the function key.

+1 for iso support in the pcb and if you aren't going to do that for whatever reason, please open source the pcb so people don't have to create a replica pcb to add iso support, especially for a non standard layout like this.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline yuzuu_

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 01:53:59 »
Love the simplistic design of this board.

The only thing I can't get behind is the asymmetry between the left and right side of the board, particularly R1. Why is there 1.5u mods on the left side, but there is 1.25u mods on the right side? Would have much rather both sides just have 1.5u and a blocker (as mentioned above)

Cool to have the extra 7, Y, H and B too, but it's going to be a pain finding an extra set (you'd probably either have to get a second set of keycaps or use different ones..)

Regardless, hoping that the pricing is okay for this board. Glad that there is a hotswap option too :thumb:

Offline syryan

• www.kbdmania.net
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 09:17:14 »

+1 for iso support in the pcb and if you aren't going to do that for whatever reason, please open source the pcb so people don't have to create a replica pcb to add iso support, especially for a non standard layout like this.

Unfortunately ISO doesn't fit on the PCB due to the combination of hotswap sockets and RGB LEDs - here is a render of the PCBs for reference:

A decision was made for wider appeal as removing these features in favour of ISO would detract from the vision I had for this project  :thumb:

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 12:19:04 »
Love the simplistic design of this board.

The only thing I can't get behind is the asymmetry between the left and right side of the board, particularly R1. Why is there 1.5u mods on the left side, but there is 1.25u mods on the right side? Would have much rather both sides just have 1.5u and a blocker (as mentioned above)

Cool to have the extra 7, Y, H and B too, but it's going to be a pain finding an extra set (you'd probably either have to get a second set of keycaps or use different ones..)

Regardless, hoping that the pricing is okay for this board. Glad that there is a hotswap option too :thumb:

Yep, that is a major oversight, 7, Y, and H never come in pairs, you WILL BE FORCED to get 2 base kits, and for GMK and SA, that means an extra 99 bucks for not good reason. I did not notice this earlier, but I would never buy a board with this specific issue.

I could see that working, because looking back it does look unrefined, but for a design like this I would prefer more symmetrical bottom row, maybe 3u spacebars could be a good option to consider, like the SP-111 which had it I believe, which could make the layout far more symmetrical but would require spacebars that usually people don't have in base kits (maybe that's a preference thing for me), another thing is that maybe blockers could be added to create that symmetry, but that could also look clumsy. I don't think split right shift should be removed as people prefer it as a way to access the function key.

Yeah, 3U spacebards are hard to find, so I am still in favor to 2.25U and 2.75U ones. In regard to the split right shift with 1U on the right side, the layout and cap support is a mess right now, so OP needs to figure out it first before deciding for more support.

Unfortunately ISO doesn't fit on the PCB due to the combination of hotswap sockets and RGB LEDs - here is a render of the PCBs for reference:
Show Image

A decision was made for wider appeal as removing these features in favour of ISO would detract from the vision I had for this project  :thumb:

Wider appeal involves better keycap compatibility, which this board is lacking heavily.

Another point, hot-swap for me is not a big deal, for I can just Mill-Max the PCB, but I know it could be a major selling point for others. My recommendation is to make poll to understand your audience preferences. Do they want hot-swappability, or they prefer wider layout support?

My layout recommendation with ISO in mind, and a 1U option for right shift:
300527-0

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 14:09:03 »
My layout recommendation with ISO in mind, and a 1U option for right shift:
(Attachment Link)

Other points aside, you're asking them to change the bottom row layout from one that is currently generally supported by base kits...for another layout that is supported by base kits, but with a single blocker? I don't see the point in this.

Also they've made a pretty clear point on why they can't include ISO - that would require a fundamental design change. It isn't just the hotswap sockets but it's also the per-key RGB LED placement that interferes with the ISO positioning. It's one thing to provide constructive criticism that may benefit the project as a whole but what you're doing is asking them to provide a different keyboard entirely at that stage.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 14:57:56 »
Other points aside, you're asking them to change the bottom row layout from one that is currently generally supported by base kits...for another layout that is supported by base kits, but with a single blocker? I don't see the point in this.

Also they've made a pretty clear point on why they can't include ISO - that would require a fundamental design change. It isn't just the hotswap sockets but it's also the per-key RGB LED placement that interferes with the ISO positioning. It's one thing to provide constructive criticism that may benefit the project as a whole but what you're doing is asking them to provide a different keyboard entirely at that stage.

I recommend to read the whole thread, but my suggestion was taking into account not compatibility, but aesthetic cleanliness, which is something subjective, I can at most give you that. In regard to blockers, once again, there are people who like them, others that don't, but I see it as a chance to add a personal touch to the board.

Yes, along with hot-swap sockets, per-key LEDs will have to go in favor of a wider layout support, but as once again, it is up to the community to say what they prefer.

ISO support is not a big of a deal given the community chooses to dump hot-swap sockets and LEDs, for it requires minor plate and PCB modifications. If you want to go by history, the SP-111 is a clear example of this with its massive layout support.

Finally, I am asking for a different keyboard. The elephant in the room is the need for extra "7", "y" and "h" keys. I assure you, if OP does not remove this, the board will flunk. Most of us have several keycap sets, but I doubt most will be able, if willing to fulfill this requirement, not to mention there is a debate whether "b" is typed with the right or left index on QWERTY, so there is nothing valid about the OG layout.

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 18:32:45 »

Show Image

Fair enough, I would say that maybe you should offer a solder pcb that has ISO support with no rgb, but that's probably too much to ask. So if you ever run this project, please open source the pcb so people can have the layout to enable them to do that.

It's cool but I agree with the viability of it, I mean even with cheap good caps like jc studio would still cost 60-80 bucks (It would be 40 if you buy them off of taobao, which is under the name leekbrothers), I think blanks would really work with this board, and even stuff like epbt/gateron blanks (the ones on the sheets) could work due to the board not having a numpad, which could be used for those positions instead.

But yeah it is an issue that can't really be fixed because it's an external issue not with the board itself, but this seems like an early IC so more work could be done to fix/minimize some of the other issues.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fameh

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 July 2023, 10:17:00 »
Agree with the lads' comments above, the idea of the B,H,Y,7 is a killer for me due to the keycaps and the impossibility to put the halves together and use it like a regular keyboard.

I'm currently on a Keychron Q11 and I'm really looking forward for a good split TKL, just because I want the layout to be as standard as possible so you can benefit from the ergonomics of splits, but also don't need to adapt yourself too much when writing on a laptop or jumping to a different computer. That's the main reason for me avoiding orthos.

Personally I was one of those typing the Y or B with the right hand, however that took me just a few days to adapt when switching to splits, and now it's done. IMHO that's better than having an extra column there forever and the limitations associated.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 July 2023, 10:19:57 by fameh »

Offline boku

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 July 2023, 16:55:44 »
WKL please! You can look at some popular ergo TKL’s such as LZ ergo, FLX Virgo, 4gt sabre etc. for inspiration on bottom row layout. I know no matter what you end up doing it won’t be a perfect outcome for everybody, but at least you will be able to appeal to the wkl lovers

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 11:54:09 »
Love the idea. Love the layout. Gonna be tough finding keycaps for this though

Offline syryan

• www.kbdmania.net
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 August 2023, 14:41:55 »
added regional vendors!

Offline ToFuMaNiA

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 20:29:37 »
Really like the idea of the keyboard!

Offline Oni

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 05:08:14 »
This is a really cool project, but even if it's to accommodate different typing preferences the extra 7, Y, and H is still odd. Having to either mix sets or get extras of the same set for a few keys is not ideal.

Collection: Special Whale, Montage, Infinitum, Kei

Offline Xury46

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 08:33:59 »
I think this is a great idea and the layout is so unique with the additional B, H, Y, 7 column. A friend of mine has been looking for this type of split for a while and I think this is perfect. For people worried about compatibility: you could place novelties, or extra pgup pgdn keys there since most sets come with those keys for 75% support. I think the layout should keep this column, it's going to be a selling point for some people.

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 09:33:38 »
I think this is a great idea and the layout is so unique with the additional B, H, Y, 7 column. A friend of mine has been looking for this type of split for a while and I think this is perfect. For people worried about compatibility: you could place novelties, or extra pgup pgdn keys there since most sets come with those keys for 75% support. I think the layout should keep this column, it's going to be a selling point for some people.

Those could be viable solutions. I still think blanks would be the best fit for this board as you don't need to worry about that stuff, plus if you are considering this at all you almost 100% touch type so you wouldn't need the lettering anyway.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 09:51:14 »
I have been waiting for a split tkl for a long time and this is tented on top of that! So, I am interested in the project but as others mentioned, I wish the extra column wasn't there. Other than finding the keycaps for that column, I feel like it is going to cause people who type properly to make mistakes. Not sure if it would be possible but having an option to buy without the extra column would be ideal.