Author Topic: Tried Leopold FC660 Silent Red - can I go quieter?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline zakaluka

Tried Leopold FC660 Silent Red - can I go quieter?
« on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 14:41:31 »
Hi Everyone,

Just joined the forums and have been having fun reading here.  I've never been into keyboards, so am a total newbie.

A friend let me try their Leopold FC660 with Cherry MX Silent Red switches.  The keyboard felt really good, and I think everything was stock (as far as I know, they hadn't changed keycaps or done anything with the keyboard).  Before trying this, I had only ever used "regular" office keyboards (membrane?).

My question is - is it possible to buy a keyboard that is quieter than the FC660 with Silent Reds that I tried?  I'm not really ready to build my own or even mod an existing one (unless it's something really simple), and have a relatively low budget (USD 150 or less).

Thank you for any suggestions!

EDIT: I should add that I really liked the smaller layout (65%).  The same size of slightly smaller/bigger is fine, as long as the keyboard has dedicated arrow keys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 14:49:53 by zakaluka »

Offline iamtienng

Re: Tried Leopold FC660 Silent Red - can I go quieter?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 15:30:25 »
With less than 10$ you can lube the switch for a quieter experience. Or you can try MX Zilent which is a very expensive Frankenstein Silent Switch that will break your budget.
FC980M MX Silent Red without soldering lube method:
My lube method without soldering:

Offline zakaluka

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:02:01 »
That's great!  I didn't realize switches could be lubed with taking them apart / desoldering.  Does this work with any cherry-compatible switches?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:31:09 »
With less than 10$ you can lube the switch for a quieter experience. Or you can try MX Zilent which is a very expensive Frankenstein Silent Switch that will break your budget.
FC980M MX Silent Red without soldering lube method:
My lube method without soldering:

Tbh that lube method is BAD. You overlube it way to much. And the lube they are using said to get sticky after a while so yeah figure what happens with the key feel.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:32:09 »
Yeah..agreed..there is a reason why people take the switch apart rather than just shove it down the gap in the switch...

The goal is generally to use as little as possible to have as light a coat as possible...I think they probably used 10-20 times as much lube as you'd need for a single switch...granted some is soaked up but I just can't imagine this is a good thing...

Would be interesting to see a comparison though...actually do this on two switches (not on a keyboard) just do one w/ the traditional method and one with this one and see how much extra lube is in the switch itself and then how long it takes for it to gum up (if at all).

Offline noxdbx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:10:05 »
I suggest using this method to lube without desoldering.
More precise and decent.

Offline zakaluka

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 21:29:46 »
Thank you for the video!  I will look into this a little more.  In any case, I don't even own the keyboard yet (it was my friend's), and I don't believe she is planning on lubing the switches anytime soon.