Author Topic: Removing keycaps from an Apple Extended Keyboard II?  (Read 4821 times)

Offline spremino

Removing keycaps from an Apple Extended Keyboard II?
« on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 18:33:25 »
I was reading a cleaning guide for the Apple Extended Keyboard II, when I stumbled on this paragraph:

One other thing that didn’t change: the key caps are not easily removed, so my recommendation doesn’t change. Don’t attempt to remove the key caps.(source: http://lowendmac.com/2006/apples-extended-keyboard-ii-sequel-to-a-legend/)

Is this really the case?  Or did the author ignore the existence of keycap pullers?  Thank you.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Removing keycaps from an Apple Extended Keyboard II?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 18:37:40 »
I have a set, and many others have sets to use on other boards. It seems totally fine to remove them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 21:59:04 »
Probably ignorance of wire keycap pullers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 00:18:52 »
You have to be more careful when pulling Alps keycaps than Cherry keycaps. The Alps stems often sit tighter and break more easily.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:26:05 »
I was reading a cleaning guide for the Apple Extended Keyboard II, when I stumbled on this paragraph:

One other thing that didn’t change: the key caps are not easily removed, so my recommendation doesn’t change. Don’t attempt to remove the key caps.(source: http://lowendmac.com/2006/apples-extended-keyboard-ii-sequel-to-a-legend/)

Is this really the case?  Or did the author ignore the existence of keycap pullers?  Thank you.
I think the idea of not removing the caps is for people without a keycap puller, if you pry off really tight alps keycaps(ones that havent been removed before) it is really easy to break the stem off inside the slider.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:06:16 »
I assume they have just broken alot of caps. I took mine off a number of times with a cap puller.  no problem. just be careful.

Offline emdude

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 23:38:33 »
Yes, as others have pointed out, they are difficult to remove so you need to be careful.  You will need to pull straight up with a key cap puller to remove them safely.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK